PDA

View Full Version : Airstart campaign?

Avimimus
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
What do you think of having a campaign mode where the player spawns near the action? I like takeoffs and landing and I like immersion - but I don't have much spare time. It is only on vacation where I can take the time to fly the full distance to the target area.

I also like to fly 'dead is dead' - so my campaigns tend to be short (unless I do a number of them).

In comparison - the original Red Baron campaign, which let you start near the action and skip time during the mission worked much better.

Heretically,

Sven
01-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Rise of Flight's career has this feature as well, lets you choose whenever you want to be far away or dropped directly into the action, I hope for you that it will be an option, I can see why, have those moments as well;)

NLS61
01-31-2011, 04:40 PM
That would be the worst thing imaginable.
It would mean you can get a boogie on your tail which wasn’t there an instant before.
Or after winning an encounter but also damaged you are departing for home and some fresh jock
Has you for breakfast.
no that is not for me.

Gourmand
01-31-2011, 04:59 PM
in il2 1946 you can compress the time if you want... for me it's the best thing to do... i want takeoff and landing ;) not instant action like BoP

zauii
01-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Choice is good.

Royraiden
01-31-2011, 06:07 PM
As long as it is an option Im ok with that.

Avimimus
02-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks for being open minded. The time compression feature works fairly well - but it still takes quite a bit longer to get into the combat zone.

Rise of Flight's career has this feature as well, lets you choose whenever you want to be far away or dropped directly into the action, I hope for you that it will be an option, I can see why, have those moments as well;)

The problem is that they force you to patch when you authorise your copy (and my computer is too slow to run the latest patch with acceptable framerates). My CoD upgrade will solve that, but I'm pretty annoyed (I always opposed their online only campaign & auto-patching approaches anyway, but now I actually have a very good reason).

HFC_Dolphin
02-01-2011, 07:34 AM
I think most people are scared of the distance in between France and UK, while a flight from Coquelles (for example) to London shouldn't take more than 10-15' and if you consider that British pilots will be waiting over Cliffs of Dover, then I think that action will be instant as soon as both sides take combat height.

For the rest there are always DF arenas and of course time compression which is an excellent option to save time.

Nevertheless, in due time, we'll see everything. People will definitely create airstart campaigns among other types, so...no worries for anyone :)

kingpinda
02-04-2011, 12:15 AM
hehe yeah i know the feeling... I still have to finish a mission in DCS black shark where the flighttime to target is 50 minutes!! including crossing a mountain ridge at 4000 meters. Only to find 20 plus vehicles which need to explode from which over 12 vehicles are heavy armourdd tanks and I only have 12 vikhrs. Handing targets to my wingman but I end up getting shot by AAA or my wingman dies on me without firing a single missile..

tommorow I will try attempt 4 lol :) I really like this sorta stuff but sometimes yeah... You simply don't have the time. Or your girlfriend will start tickling you for attention JUST when the sh!t hits the fan!

SEE
02-04-2011, 01:36 AM
IL1946 has the 'Time Skip' option (you have to assign a keypress or button in the 'controls' menu to us it). I would imagine that CoD will have a similar feature. I prefer that as you can drop in and out of Time Skip to set flight trim, Prop Pitch etc, then drop back into 'Time Skip' to each Waypoint or just before the combat starts to gain height or select the best target as they appear.