PDA

View Full Version : Why Pegi 16 rating?

Sutts
01-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Bit disappointed to see the PEGI 16 rating slapped on CoD. I thought the whole idea of avoiding gore was to keep the rating down and allow sales to kids?

My 8 year old is pretty interested in CoD and while it won't stop me from letting him use it I guess many parents would shy away.

Is anyone else surprised by this?

winny
01-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Does seem a little over the top..

From the PEGI site..

PEGI 16
This rating is applied once the depiction of violence (or sexual activity) reaches a stage that looks the same as would be expected in real life. More extreme bad language, the concept of the use of tobacco and drugs and the depiction of criminal activities can be content of games that are rated 16.

Can't see there being anything in that list except the realistic violence bit..
But that's a bit harsh.

Erkki
01-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Its the drugs part.

;)

Wutz
01-31-2011, 09:32 AM
DidnĀ“t you guys see all the weed plants on those screenies? Imagine all the little potheads getting high when they see all that weed all over the sim. They will never come down again! :lol:

swiss
01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Bit disappointed to see the PEGI 16 rating slapped on CoD. I thought the whole idea of avoiding gore was to keep the rating down and allow sales to kids?

My 8 year old is pretty interested in CoD and while it won't stop me from letting him use it I guess many parents would shy away.

Is anyone else surprised by this?

Buddy - you can kill people, and as far as we know their death is somewhat animated - that's not exactly like Conker's Bad Fur Day.

I really hope there is blood, plus less 12year old means less BS in the chat window. :cool:

Sutts
01-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Buddy - you can kill people, and as far as we know their death is somewhat animated - that's not exactly like Conker's Bad Fur Day.

I really hope there is blood, plus less 12year old means less BS in the chat window. :cool:

LOL. That's true, but IL2 was the same and that's a 12+. Just thinking of sales that's all.

Therion_Prime
01-31-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't see that CoD has yet been rated on the PEGI site??

I believe the boxart that was leaked is only a concept and the PEGI 16 was just slapped on for show.

Sutts
01-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Yes, could be.

Erkki
01-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Besides blood splatters would probably mean MORE 12 year old ADHD coke addicts. Despite the PEGI.

They usually do get frustrated within 2 weeks though.

speculum jockey
01-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Probably the same reason IL-2 had it's rating. Guy bails out, you shoot him and he goes limp (dead), Gunner/Pilot gets shot and he goes limp (dead). Only reason it's 16+ is that the guy looks a heck of a lot more realistic than he did in IL-2 so it seems more violent.

Another thing might be people being stafed on the ground, or vehicles/planes exploding. You don't see someone being killed, but you know that's what just happened.

Or it could have just been something tacked on while the rating is pending?

BigPickle
01-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Or it could just mean cos its depicting war, and as we all know we cant glorify violence to our poor fragile children...*Cough* - A-Team, knight Rider, Street Hawk, WWF, WWC, WNBC, BBC, CNN, ITV..... Now what sort of parents would we be if we let our children see a comupter game where sprites hurt each other, tut tut anyone would think they are allowed to watch the news or pick up a news paper and see it all for REAL.

Specht
01-31-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't see that CoD has yet been rated on the PEGI site??

I believe the boxart that was leaked is only a concept and the PEGI 16 was just slapped on for show.

The rating is true, they showed that same rating at the announcement trailer.

Heliocon
01-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Who cares? Ratings dont effect sales significantly, and the game is not tailored to young players because of the nature of a "sim". Coupled with increased online purchases it doesnt matter much.

Ironic if you have to tone down violence in a sim thats ultimately about killing people, to make more sales. Is it a sim then?

speculum jockey
01-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Maybe you spend a lot of time in the Paris Redlight Districts in the German campaign?

Heliocon
01-31-2011, 11:58 PM
Maybe you spend a lot of time in the Paris Redlight Districts in the German campaign?

What, how is this related to what we are talking about? Was that meant to be a joke or a jab?

WTE_Galway
02-01-2011, 12:21 AM

Yes .. but are the simulated Parisian prostitutes going to be persecuted by the simulated French Resistance ?

Also has Oleg researched the historically correct undergarments for French girls in the 1940's ? If not I volunteer to do some practical work for him if they pay for a flight to Paris :D

Heliocon
02-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Yes .. but are the simulated Parisian prostitutes going to be persecuted by the simulated French Resistance ?

Also has Oleg researched the historically correct undergarments for French girls in the 1940's ? If not I volunteer to do some practical work for him if they pay for a flight to Paris :D

You going to look at old "magazines", it was 70 years ago...
I will drive if you will split the petrol tab, yes my car is also a submarine and a Parisian bicycle for when we get to paris because parking is hell in that city!