PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 CoD vs MS Flight graphics

ghodan
01-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Microsoft put up 4 new pics on the official MS Flight website.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

What do you guys think?

( I need combat in my games , so for me its IL-2 CoD all the way)

UPDATE:
For those who don't want silverlight on their pc:

http://img510.imageshack.us/i/67378573.jpg/

http://img821.imageshack.us/i/33829235.jpg/

http://img26.imageshack.us/i/35087738.jpg/

http://img51.imageshack.us/i/93616641.jpg/

JVM
01-28-2011, 09:54 PM
You have to admit, these screenshots are beautiful... I am surprising myself dreaming about a real good civilian sim...I am not holding my breath considering past history, but I keep some hope...

Wolf_Rider
01-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Two threads? is MS in the house??

past history? yes, we remember the promo shots featuring DX10 in all its glory (which turned out to be artist concept) :mad:

swiss
01-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Honestly?

I think FSX players(no, wait - they call themselves "pilots") are a bunch of nerds.
And with nerds I really mean it in the most negative way.

The Kraken
01-28-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't trust MS PR (see FSX DX10 shots), my interest in a "social" version of FSX is pretty much non-existent, it overall looks like a cheap FSX spin-off and the trees are quite poor. Apart from that though it's definitely beautiful; not perfect for sure but still looking good.

Maybe add some lime green to spice it up a bit :-P

(btw I can't watch the December pics anymore, no matter where I click - bug in Silverlight? ;))

The Kraken
01-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Honestly?

I think FSX players(no, wait - they call themselves "pilots") are a bunch of nerds.

Possibly. Then again I wonder what the Call of Duty community would say about people who like combat flight sims...

swiss
01-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Possibly. Then again I wonder what the Call of Duty community would say about people who like combat flight sims...

Cool, another bunch of different idiots.

They have one thing in common though: The lack of a real life.

This at least applies to the hard core twerps

I ordered my girlfriend to chop off my balls if I ever end up like this

http://www.flugsimulation.ch/forum/showthread.php?t=82087

just to keep the gene pool ok...

Wraith_V
01-28-2011, 10:50 PM

If you're willing to go to those lengths why not just fly a real plane

Old_Canuck
01-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Don't be fooled again. Remember the "as real as it gets" ad campaign for CFS3? Bletttch. Personally, I've wasted enough money on M$ crappy flight sims.

Biggs [CV]
01-29-2011, 12:36 AM

I play Call of Duty and I call us air support. ;)

leggit
01-29-2011, 12:42 AM

well i would not ask the battlefield community....the response will be quick and very rude.;)

Royraiden
01-29-2011, 03:51 AM
So much hate and intolerance on this thread.So FSX gamers like to call themselves pilots?Whats wrong with that?Cant people really enjoy what they like????I've never played FSX but I cant stand so much unjustified attacks on people because they are really into a commercial flight sim.If I go out now and buy Flight Simulator Ill become a nerd??I thought the Il-2 community consisted mostly of adults but from some of these comments it seems there are a lot of kids waiting for Cliffs of Dover.

Wolf_Rider
01-29-2011, 04:03 AM
That's exactly what the MS flight sims are... a commercial airline flight simulator.

Comparing MSFS to il2 is like comparing apples and oranges... sure, they're both fruit but both have completely different characteristcs.

I have to agree on the "kids waiting" thing

Hunden
01-29-2011, 04:26 AM
well i would not ask the battlefield community....the response will be quick and very rude.;)

I dont think that would be the case. I'm ranked somewhere near the top 1000 and in Battlefield 2. I think most playing Battlefield 2 would dig this game if they would just give it a chance.

Heliocon
01-29-2011, 10:45 AM
I dont think that would be the case. I'm ranked somewhere near the top 1000 and in Battlefield 2. I think most playing Battlefield 2 would dig this game if they would just give it a chance.

Ahhh, I remember countless hours waiting in line for the BF2 plane. OMG THAT **** GOT IT AGAIN???

(Pulls out machine gun) MY TURN NOW!!!

ATAG_Dutch
01-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Honestly?

I actually have to agree with Swiss here, and I sometimes 'fly' on FSX myself.

So far FSX plus add-ons must have cost me in excess of £200.
I'm currently doing a 'tour of europe' add-on that cost £10, but to make it interesting I spent a further £30 on scenery.
You take off in a plane that does 110mph max, climb to altitude, set course, trim for straight and level, then sit there.
And sit there.
And sit there.
'Look, there's a lake!' (Oh, forgot..no-one to talk to about it.)
Tum-te-tum......
Some of these flights take 3 hours to complete, and the most exciting part is finding the correct route on the taxiway.
It's psychologically damaging in my view, and should be banned.
Nerds?
You can say that again!:grin:

Royraiden
01-29-2011, 01:08 PM
I actually have to agree with Swiss here, and I sometimes 'fly' on FSX myself.

So far FSX plus add-ons must have cost me in excess of £200.
I'm currently doing a 'tour of europe' add-on that cost £10, but to make it interesting I spent a further £30 on scenery.
You take off in a plane that does 110mph max, climb to altitude, set course, trim for straight and level, then sit there.
And sit there.
And sit there.
'Look, there's a lake!' (Oh, forgot..no-one to talk to about it.)
Tum-te-tum......
Some of these flights take 3 hours to complete, and the most exciting part is finding the correct route on the taxiway.
It's psychologically damaging in my view, and should be banned.
Nerds?
You can say that again!:grin:

Its just your opinion!You just dont like it,heck that does sounds boring,but you cant say a game is bad or call the people who play it nerds because you dont like it.What kind of reasoning is that???Hey I love green, you must suck because you like blue, shame on you.Get it?

ElAurens
01-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Playing FSX was as exciting/rewarding as watching paint dry.

It's whole system of ground and cloud texturing is totally wrong for a combat simulator.

The only way I'd ever install/play it again is if I could get an F22 with operable weapons, and bag a 747 or two on one of those uptight ATC role playing servers. Listening to those dweebs freak out would be the pinnacle of gaming achievement.

And fun too...

Royraiden
01-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Playing FSX was as exciting/rewarding as watching paint dry.

It's whole system of ground and cloud texturing is totally wrong for a combat simulator.

The only way I'd ever install/play it again is if I could get an F22 with operable weapons, and bag a 747 or two on one of those uptight ATC role playing servers. Listening to those dweebs freak out would be the pinnacle of gaming achievement.

And fun too...

FSX is not a combat simulator,is a commercial flight sim.What do commercial planes do? Travel long distances.

shoot_the_goose
01-29-2011, 01:58 PM
The screeny's look stunning looks like it may have potential. I'll have to watch out for the really tough and very cool cliffs of Dover pilots though.:rolleyes:

Hunden
01-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Ahhh, I remember countless hours waiting in line for the BF2 plane. OMG THAT **** GOT IT AGAIN???

(Pulls out machine gun) MY TURN NOW!!!

I'm more of a ground pounder in Battlefield 2. I stay away from vehilcle servers, I really don't like being taken out by a nine year old constantly rearming every 60 seconds. I don't even like flying jets in there but I do like the cobra if you have a good gunner. My point is if I could dig il2 having hated anything that had wings I'm sure there will be others coming over from the dark side. I would let the guy that stole my plane take off then pull the trigger for the C4 that I had placed earlier.:grin:

ElAurens
01-29-2011, 02:21 PM
FSX is not a combat simulator,is a commercial flight sim.What do commercial planes do? Travel long distances.

Yes I am well aware of what FSX is.

I am also aware of what it is not. It is not an example of what can be achieved in the realm of real flight simulation. Put another way, FSX is a study sim in modern commercial flight procedures. Nothing more.

Holding up it's graphics as an example of what can be done, or in some way insinuating that they are appropriate for any kind of simulator that really models flight is just plain laughable.

Not saying FSX does not serve a valid purpose, or is enjoyable to a large number of users.

But comparing it to a title that tries to model actual flight, as our little sim does is really just over the top.

And yes, I'd still shoot down a 747 in FSX if it were possible to do so.

Just for fun.

Royraiden
01-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Yes I am well aware of what FSX is.

I am also aware of what it is not. It is not an example of what can be achieved in the realm of real flight simulation. Put another way, FSX is a study sim in modern commercial flight procedures. Nothing more.

Holding up it's graphics as an example of what can be done, or in some way insinuating that they are appropriate for any kind of simulator that really models flight is just plain laughable.

Not saying FSX does not serve a valid purpose, or is enjoyable to a large number of users.

But comparing it to a title that tries to model actual flight, as our little sim does is really just over the top.

And yes, I'd still shoot down a 747 in FSX if it were possible to do so.

Just for fun.

Fair enough.

Jumo211
01-29-2011, 03:04 PM
When you have machine able to run max ground setting , FSX can have rather some very nice textures to be seen , low altitude ground view doesn't have to necessarily sucks like so many folks used to claim , it's all up to PC what you gonna have and will see from low altitude but anyway I would say this is a pretty nice job well done videos . :cool:

best viewed in HD & full screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCn5e4bOp-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjmL_ZrrSwo

KG26_Alpha
01-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Microsoft put up 4 new pics on the official MS Flight website.

What do you guys think?

It looks like the same terrible terrain effects as usual, water is useless and the rest looks like a kiddies colouring book.

Well you asked :)

Triad773
01-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Yeah I saw FLIGHT somewhere. The first thing I did was send them feedback and compare FSX to IL-2 1946. Told them that the MSFS 'sky' has always been too cyan, and that their water was fugly. I said look at the water textures and wave animations in an over 10 year old sim that uses OpenGL that looks better than what they are getting out of DX11!

I doubt they will listen though.

For me, the attraction of a sim like FSX is I can fly from anywhere to anywhere in the world. I can fly from near where I am, to anywhere else- in real time, or sped up some.

I saw where Dart had an article somewhere on making the leap from virtual to real pilotage- if one is interested in such, then stuff like FSX is a better solution than a combat flight sim.

I'm just as excited about Il-2/CoD as anyone; but I doubt if I will ever be able to fly from Manston to Aviano (or, from Mildenhall to Berlin and back) any time soon.

F19_Klunk
01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Honestly?

Cool, another bunch of different idiots.

They have one thing in common though: The lack of a real life.

This at least applies to the hard core twerps

I ordered my girlfriend to chop off my balls if I ever end up like this

just to keep the gene pool ok...

Really now. I would be careful to call people with other interests than your's nerds... Chances are quite large that you girlfriend already thinks you are one. I know for a fact that most of our wifes/girlfriends who sees us "playing fighters with our small friends" DO think we are nerds...

ATAG_Dutch
01-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Its just your opinion!You just dont like it,heck that does sounds boring,but you cant say a game is bad or call the people who play it nerds because you dont like it.What kind of reasoning is that???Hey I love green, you must suck because you like blue, shame on you.Get it?

Oh, I get it ok Roy. I think you may have misconstrued my post.

The very fact that I've got as far as I have with my tour of europe (and spent that much cash!) should tell you that I like it quite a lot myself.

So far I've made 22 destinations out of 64, and looking forward to heading south via Vilnius, Warsaw and Prague.

It's just that I consider that to enjoy this, I must be a little on the masochistic side, and most certainly a little, if not a lot erm.....nerdy.:rolleyes::grin:

P.S. I also think that Streetfighter 2 for the super nintendo console is the ultimate in realism

Sturm_Williger
01-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Well, the scenery does look pretty nice, BUT ... they don't have to spend any CPU power calculating Damage models. They don't have to use any CPU power to calculate bullet trajectories. Does it have moving vehicles ? Smoke ? ( maybe there's a Forestfire addon ). What's the water like ? Do they cater for up to 128 planes on a map ?

So maybe, just maybe CoD isn't going to have photo-realistic terrain, but, y'know, I kinda like the combat bits :)

Gourmand
01-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Ms flight is not a simulator, it's not comparable not the same category,
you should compare with Bird of prey...

and for me the MS flight simulator is not very optimized, ok graphsim are beautifull, but they need a recent gamer config

Avimimus
01-29-2011, 05:42 PM
I forget who said this (PM me if you know): But, there is a difference between a flight simulator and a flight-plan simulator.

MSFS has always lagged behind the combat sims where flight models are concerned (although had better navigation) and often lagged in terms of graphical quality (although covered larger areas).

As for the terrain - the elevation maps look nice - if they did that for the whole world it might be impressive. However, I've always been disappointed with both MSFS and X-plane for a lot of locations (eg. outside the U.S.A.). The trees are also too widely spaced and all the same type.

The basic fact is that Microsoft builds sims based on accountants, marketing firms and the bottom line. They simply can't do a good job creating simulations with these priorities (compared to 777/NeoQB/Gennadich, Maddox Games, Graviteam or Eagle Dynamics).

That said, I'm glad - Oleg will have to give us the new cloud model now... ;)

Blackdog_kt
01-29-2011, 06:17 PM
FSX is very good if you have money to burn, it's also a totally different kind of thing and comparisons are not really valid apart from the purely technical stuff.

What i like to do with FSX is play virtual tourist/millionaire/small air service operator/etc, depending on whether i'm flying learjets from London to Paris or dehavilland floatplanes near the glaciers of Alaska.
I'm just immersing myself in a situation that fools me into becoming someone else for a couple of hours, it's the escapism factor from real life that drives us to play computer games anyway.
It's just that this virtual persona is not a combat pilot for a change. So, how is that vastly different and nerdier than what we all do when flying IL2, where we pretend to be not only fighter pilots, but also pilots from 60 years ago? :rolleyes:

In civilian sims i've done short hops in piper cubs taking off from my home town and landing on top of snowy mountains or in nearby small lakes, but i've also done a 10 hour flight in a catalina across the Carribean sea tracking from VOR to VOR (Bermuda-Cuba-Dominican Republic-Haiti-Puerto Rico-St.Maarten) exchanging the controls with a friend every couple of hours like we were a real pilot/copilot crew. Ok, we "cheated" and saved mid-flight, picking up from where we left off a few days later, but the aim was to have fun so it was a choice between using time compression or breaking up the flight in more sessions with the help of saved games.

In any case, stock FSX is not much to write home about, but it has awesome modding potential. It's just the basis. The real fun is in the 3rd party stuff.
I don't know about you, but i don't have FSX and only fly it on a friend's PC sometimes (the one i did the 10 hour flight with).

Well, the stock aircraft didn't impress me much but after flying some well made payware add-ons and learning how aircraft really operate, i couldn't bring myself to fly IL2 for weeks.
I'm not slamming IL2, i still like it but it's a 10 year old sim.

The thing is, nobody can deny that IL2 models how planes fly and shoot each other down better than FSX, but much in the same way some FSX add-ons model the actual complexity of aircraft better than IL2. Way better i might say.
And guess what, if this didn't matter then the Maddox team wouldn't want to include such things in CoD. But they did, so it must be important stuff ;)

In fact, i have a feeling that one of the most interesting things to observe in CoD will be the initial reactions from people who've been for years conditioned to just slam their throttles forward and keep them there until the fuel tank's dry, thinking that this is actually realistic. I guess it will be time to learn some new tricks or turn down the realism options a notch for most of us.

In short, my point is don't knock it till you try it and even then, just because it might not suit you doesn't mean anyone who likes it is a fool. I guess it's just a combination of a dislike toward microsoft's practices and the lack of combat in FSX, but it manifests itself in an awfully short-sighted fashion, a way of viewing the hobby that prevents you from learning new stuff.

For example, i don't fly modern sims. I don't like them enough to sit down and learn them, they are too complicated for my taste and there's not enough up-close action when everyone has missiles. However, you won't see me going around telling people who like DCS: Black Shark that they're idiots, nerds who push buttons or useless in virtual flying because that chopper has got a gazillion autopilot modes. Nope, in fact i'm getting intrigued by thinking what draws them to actually sit down and learn how to do it, plus by the way it's actually getting done. I don't fly such sims, but i do watch videos of them on youtube that show how to operate a modern, highly complex warplane because i like learning stuff about flying machines.

If some of you can go beyond your dislike of microsoft and the lack of combat and watch some tutorials for FSX add-ons, maybe you'll learn something new as well and not cook your engines in 2 minutes the first 10 times you try flying CoD at maximum difficulty settings ;)

mazex
01-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Two threads? is MS in the house??

past history? yes, we remember the promo shots featuring DX10 in all its glory (which turned out to be artist concept) :mad:

Just a funny coincidence - my thread about the same thing is actually first though ;) OK, it's really only seven minutes earlier than this thread so I'm sure we where both writing them at the same time but I managed to press save earlier ;) I guess we have both signed up for the mail list to get updates about "Flight" and reacted the same way almost at the same time...

When I realized this thread had almost the same subject I thought of deleting mine but then there was already and answer in mine so I let it live...

Wolf_Rider
01-30-2011, 12:28 AM
this was the second thread in the list I read, at the time of reading :cool:

Jaws2002
01-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Wait for the game before you argue how good it looks. I remember very well the big difference between the promo shots for FSX and the actual game when it was released.
For MS sims better wait to see the real thing.;)