PDA

View Full Version : Deformable terrain on airfields? (bomb damage)

Flying Pencil
01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Curious if CoD will have that feature now or in first update.

Would make it more, interesting, to land or take off with holes on the runway.

(not an easy thing to do, programming wise, and takes a lot of CPU power)

Heliocon
01-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Well they will probably have a bomb "texture" / crater that is placed...? Lots of rts's do this (just speculation).
People are going to flame me, but the easiest way to do this is tesselation/dx11. Have a bomb create a crater with depth and size dependent on bomb weight. Then when you approach said crater it activates the tesselation and creates the geometry up close to look like a real crater. This would not require any terrain deformation programming, because it would just be a mesh that is placed and therefore is not dynamic (like it wouldnt be the same as in red faction, as soon as you move away it turns back into a texture so it doesnt technically change the geometry unless your ontop of it and no calculatios need to be done if you are dropping bombs and watching from a distance or are not directly looking at it).

Edit: with the specs released this is obviously not on the table :(

BigPickle
01-28-2011, 10:23 AM
I dont even remember them saying there was going to be landscape deformation, wow thats something to look forward to if it is coming one day.

Avimimus
01-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Oleg stated that landscape deformation won't happen. However, craters will be modelled (ie. if you go over them landing gear will buckle).

There terrain engine supports cliffs and tunnels (but tunnels may not be implemented in the first release.

swiss
01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
There terrain engine supports cliffs and tunnels (but tunnels may not be implemented in the first release.

Indy!

errr

Junior!

Romanator21
01-28-2011, 11:32 PM
I think the plan is to release DX-11 features in the future when they can be sorted out. You wouldn't want tessellation affecting the shape of planes and trucks for instance - it's best used for terrain and characters.

Currently, the team had no time/ability to program what should be tessellated and when.

Heliocon
01-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Be fun to run run-way cratering missions, or even try to take off from one o.0