PDA

View Full Version : Bomber hopes for COD

Ltbear
01-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Im actualy a 109 fanboy, but the HE-111 have kinda a special place for me. Im not into the B-17`s etc, the HE-111 is the bomber i always think of first when i hear talk about WW2 planes.

What i hope for in COD for the bomber`s

Ability to talk interact with the crew (ask if they are ok, ready etc)'

The crew interact with me. Calling out enemys, out of ammo etc.

The ability to control fuel etc (turn of a leaking fuel tank etc)

Multithrottle control

Visual 3d crew inside plane.

What i hope in general is that COD bombers give me the bomber feeling. Im sitting in a plane with others, when i look around i se them. I can ask the basic things and the can tell me basic things. a populatet bomber.

But also a bomber i feel i have more control over. I can switch of things that are broken, especialy the fuel tank with a 1m hole in it, instead se all your fuel going out...

I actualy look more forward to the multicrew planes than the fighters. A fighter is fairly easy, its you and the plane, where a bomber relys on more factors to be able to have succes...

Anyone else have it like me ??

LTbear

JG53Frankyboy
01-27-2011, 11:35 AM
i fly almost only bombers online in IL2 nowadays.
Trying to fullfill the missiontask that is given in scripted Dogfightservers (mainly on the WoP servers) and COOP missions (COOP online wars).

im also looking forward to the bomberflying in CoD ! one of the best 'updates' (video from the Moskau game show) the last month was the in cockpit video of a Ju88 with Crewmembers sitting beside , awsome ! :)

additional hopes are:
- a more detailed arming screen. where you can select the armament stations and not only have a given kind of armament options.
and that the factor "max start weight" comes to count if you are selecting the bombload and fuel !! always an important factor for bombers. As Examble, a Do17Z (sure only AI in CoD) had with 1to of bombs only a combar range of less than 400km ! Equipting the forward bombbay with a fuel tank the range was over 1000km but only 500kg of bombs were possible.

- i wish that the bombercrew can select the bombdelays and order of bombrelease

- i hope that a RAF bomber that can carry more than ~1000lb (the Blenheim Mk.IV) will be available as soon as possible. My favorites for that would be the Wellington (even more as it is as AI in the release version) or the Hampden (my personal favorite, because it was a 'pilots' plane like the Ju88 ;) ).

i can only say, bring on the bombers :)

Blackdog_kt
01-27-2011, 11:58 AM
I too am excited about flying the bombers, because it's so different that it's like having a second type of sim.

In bombers it will be more about managing and operating the aircraft and crew than maneuvering. Don't get me wrong, i'll be flying plenty of fighters too, but when i want a different set of challenges that take place in a less frantic pace, then it will be all about the multi-engined birds.

My personal dream is to be able to fly in a few years the less publicized missions on online dynamic campaign servers. For example, hunting for U-boats with a catalina, flying reconnaissance missions in a mosquito, night bombing in RAF heavies or intercepting them in Luftwaffe night fighters...situations where you are not in direct combat but the suspense is greater due to other factors: operating alone or widely separated from other friendly units, possibly in bad weather or at night and having to really know your plane inside out to maximize performance and your chances of coming back home.

It's almost like combining the action of a combat flight sim with the systems modeling of a civilian flight sim and the suspense of a submarine sim :grin:

Sven
01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm with you, I remember I had lots of fun with this old flights sim called B17 The Mighty 8th, since then always loved flying bombers, in that sim you could order the crew some tasks, but out fires, take care of wounded crew members.. ect.

But calling out enemy fighters would be really awesome and grunts, victory chants and whatnot! The Mighty 8th had those feature as well, adds so much more immersion!

T}{OR
01-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Hopefully tomorrow we will get an update containing something about bombers in CoD...

Flying Pencil
01-27-2011, 02:19 PM
i fly almost only bombers online in IL2 nowadays.
Trying to fullfill the missiontask that is given in scripted Dogfightservers (mainly on the WoP servers) and COOP missions (COOP online wars).

im also looking forward to the bomberflying in CoD ! one of the best 'updates' (video from the Moskau game show) the last month was the in cockpit video of a Ju88 with Crewmembers sitting beside , awsome ! :)

additional hopes are:
- a more detailed arming screen. where you can select the armament stations and not only have a given kind of armament options.
and that the factor "max start weight" comes to count if you are selecting the bombload and fuel !! always an important factor for bombers. As Examble, a Do17Z (sure only AI in CoD) had with 1to of bombs only a combar range of less than 400km ! Equipting the forward bombbay with a fuel tank the range was over 1000km but only 500kg of bombs were possible.

- i wish that the bombercrew can select the bombdelays and order of bombrelease

- i hope that a RAF bomber that can carry more than ~1000lb (the Blenheim Mk.IV) will be available as soon as possible. My favorites for that would be the Wellington (even more as it is as AI in the release version) or the Hampden (my personal favorite, because it was a 'pilots' plane like the Ju88 ;) ).

i can only say, bring on the bombers :)

Hear! Hear!

While I can wait for an update for more bombers (will be a lot of fun just exploring what it will have), I will insist a patch with full control of all the bombers in BoB.

(Oh, must have Loadout control too.)

Ju88 (seems like player control in CoD)
He111
Do17z (and Do215)
Blen I and IV
Wellington
and that Italian bomber (cant recall name).

(Stuka of course)

Would like to see the 109E-7 as well, with a single 50kg bomb. ;)

BTW JG53Frankyboy, you did your homework, GJ! :D

csThor
01-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Not that I am a big fan of them iron trucks, but there are a few things I'd love to see outside of systems modelling.

1.) area targets
2.) visibility
3.) AI that can actually detect the target zone without me having to guide it to it and serve it on a silver platter :rolleyes:
4.) no more "target these specific trucks on this road" but "bomb enemy supply lines at XYZ"

;)

EDIT: Damn, I missed that. Actually loadouts were ordered for combat missions. I'd rather not have a "toolbox" to fiddle with. This results in too much unhistorical BS IMO.

JG52Uther
01-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Area targets are very important IMO.
And +1 on the Do17z,I would buy that plane on its own if it was available to fly!

Flying Pencil
01-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Area targets are very important IMO.
And +1 on the Do17z,I would buy that plane on its own if it was available to fly!

:)

I actually own a few pieces of Do-17's

2 data plates and fuel gage, all marked with "Do-17"

JG53Frankyboy
01-27-2011, 06:56 PM
yep , area targets would be important !

in IL2 you have to hide trucks in the houses........................
in BoB there should be a "ground target" circle (or better area selector of any shape) with a wincondition of how many bombs , in numbers or total weight (as best selectable !), have hit this area !!

would make the live of the missiondesigner so much easier :)

JG53Frankyboy
01-27-2011, 07:12 PM
EDIT: Damn, I missed that. Actually loadouts were ordered for combat missions. I'd rather not have a "toolbox" to fiddle with. This results in too much unhistorical BS IMO.

sure, the host/missiondesinger should have the ability to restrict the availability of the loadouts.
but in general i hope for a more detailed armament screen than in IL2.

as examples, if you want carry 4xSC500 in your Ju88, you have to sacrifice some of your range/fuel ;)
or if you want all 28 of your SC50 too, because its 'only' 1400kg total bombload but you have no room for the so important fueltank (1220l !) in the front bombbay :D

Meusli
01-27-2011, 10:02 PM
:)

I actually own a few pieces of Do-17's

2 data plates and fuel gage, all marked with "Do-17"

So jealous. How did your get these mate as I would love a bit of memorabilia like that.

Zorin
01-27-2011, 10:20 PM
If you want to carry 4x SC500 you have two options.

Rüstzustand A

1220l fuel in wing tanks + 4x SC500

Take-off weight: 12590kg

Rüstzustand B

2120l fuel in wing tanks and forward bomb bay tank + 4x SC500

Take-off weight: 13510kg

With regards to the 28x SC50.

Rüstzustand A allowed for 2620l of fuel and 28x SC50 with the use of the two 700l drop tanks.

So there is no real trade off you have to make as the Ju88 was so versatile in its outfittings.

On a sidenote, the max loadout would be 2900kg of bombs (28x SC50 + 6x 250kg) for Rüstzustand A. Granted, only on a paved runway but still pretty impressive and the range attainable with this load would have been easily sufficient for raids on targets in continental Europe during 1939/40.

JG53Frankyboy
01-27-2011, 11:34 PM
and the max start weight of the Ju88A-1 (the version we will get in CoD) was 12.300kg AFAIK .

anyway, very few missions, at least online, will require a huge fuelload, where a distance of 100km is considered as almost the distance earth to moon :D
so, the focus of the player will most propably be the bombload ;)

Geronimo989
01-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I also hope flying bombers will be more fun than in IL-2 because there will be clickable cockpits, and more stuff to do in regular flight from A to B in general (like in MS flight simulator).
In IL-2 it is just a matter of turning on engines, ramming throttle to 100%, pointing the plane to point B, throttle to 20% before the airfield, throttle to 0% when touching it, turning off engines. I am not saying there isnt anything else to do beside this, but it is all optional.
Its like fighters are simulated on a much greater level, and thats what I hope to be changed in CoD.

Wutz
01-28-2011, 10:30 AM
I also hope flying bombers will be more fun than in IL-2 because there will be clickable cockpits, and more stuff to do in regular flight from A to B in general (like in MS flight simulator).
In IL-2 it is just a matter of turning on engines, ramming throttle to 100%, pointing the plane to point B, throttle to 20% before the airfield, throttle to 0% when touching it, turning off engines. I am not saying there isnt anything else to do beside this, but it is all optional.
Its like fighters are simulated on a much greater level, and thats what I hope to be changed in CoD.

Looks like you never worked with the bomb sight then? If you have that set up, it is a bit more that you have to do. Also it is next to impossible to switch back and forth between fighters and bombers, as alone the key settings needed for the bombsight take up enought that you have no keys left for fighters. That only works for those part time bomber fliers that do not use the bombsight.

Blackdog_kt
01-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I used to fly bombers online whenever a mission came up that featured fighters i wasn't familiar with.
It was easy, very easy in fact.

Due to the basic modeling of a multi-engined aircraft's interior workings and individual operations, just like Geronimo says, and since you weren't dogfighting, it had even more waiting time than flying fighters from A to B to engage in furballs.

All i used to do is get enough fuel to climb up to altitude and approach the target from an unlikely direction. Then i switched to the bombsight, made a good drop and by the time the players on the opposing team knew what happened i was on a long,shallow power dive back to home base. This works ok for most bombers but god forbid if you actually use a fast one and you have ONE friendly fighter to act as a spotter/decoy (for the rare cases you'll see opposition at your altitude).

On the spits vs 109s modded server, i managed to score more points in a single evening that way with a mosquito, than the entire previous month while flying only fighters :grin:

And while it's true that routing and course selections did play a big role in reality as well, i think the bombers are still easy to fly in IL2. This is not a diss on the bombers, it's just the logical outcome of combining

1) the fact that IL2 is 10 years old and it models only the "flying, shooting and damage" parts but not the "operating a plane because it won't do all that on its own" part, regardless of the aircraft type, with

2) the fact that bombers are by nature of a more "sedate" mission profile".

When CoD comes along and everyone has to manage various subsystems on top of everything, then the fighter pilots will have to be more cautious in how they do what they always did and the bomber pilots will have more things to occupy themselves with along the way and not get bored. I can't wait ;)

GCF_Rakk
01-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Playing Bomber can be a game inside the main game.
If the game could manage the number of planes in the respawn to the targets how have been destroyed, the game will have an another dimension.
It won t be only a score game but a strategic game.

Kill the opposite respawn !

CODO must go beyond a simply score game.

Romanator21
01-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Looks like you never worked with the bomb sight then? If you have that set up, it is a bit more that you have to do. Also it is next to impossible to switch back and forth between fighters and bombers, as alone the key settings needed for the bombsight take up enought that you have no keys left for fighters. That only works for those part time bomber fliers that do not use the bombsight.

Actually, it's quite easy, and I have tons of key combination left over that I can use at any time as features are added.

Maybe you could post your control combos and I can help you out, or I can post mine. Otherwise, you're missing out!

Wutz
01-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Actually, it's quite easy, and I have tons of key combination left over that I can use at any time as features are added.

Maybe you could post your control combos and I can help you out, or I can post mine. Otherwise, you're missing out!

No I don´t think I am missing out, as I am perfectly happy with bombers alone.
As there are more than enough fighter jocks around, no need to jump on that train. Furballs have never been my interest, I have always been for winning maps.

Also unless you are using a German keyboard, which has one or two keys more, it would not be possible to copy 1:1.

But thank you for the offer.