PDA

View Full Version : Cliffs Of Dover on a MAC ?!?

EAF92_Brigstock
01-20-2011, 07:56 PM
http://il2sturmovik.ubi.com/cliffs-of-dover/en-GB/home/coming-soon.aspx

Bottom of the page, PC-MAC DVD

Is that an error on UBI's part or is IL2-CoD really going to be cross platform. I've not seen any info on that during all the time I've been following progress

TheGrunch
01-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Very interesting...

speculum jockey
01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/34j2a9z.jpg

That just means that it will be distributed on standard DVD's as opposed to CD's or HD-DVD's or Blueray disks. PC-Mac just means the industry standard DVD's as opposed to some moon-disc that nobody's ever heard of.

TheGrunch
01-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Besides, the game's DirectX so it would be a nasty port to make.

Oldschool61
01-20-2011, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=EAF92_Brigstock;214428]http://il2sturmovik.ubi.com/cliffs-of-dover/en-GB/home/coming-soon.aspx

Is that an error on UBI's part or is IL2-CoD really going to be cross platform. I've not seen any info on that during all the time I've been following progress[/QUOTE

Why would they want to spend the resources to make a mac port to only sell a handful of copies??

EAF92_Brigstock
01-20-2011, 11:17 PM

Is that an error on UBI's part or is IL2-CoD really going to be cross platform. I've not seen any info on that during all the time I've been following progress[/QUOTE

Why would they want to spend the resources to make a mac port to only sell a handful of copies??

Apple are the new MS. That old adage about 95% PC 5% MAC is changing rapidly. Just check Apple share price against MS.

But I do agree with the above posts. I'm presuming it's PC only too, just not seen that logo before today

speculum jockey
01-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Apple are the new MS. That old adage about 95% PC 5% MAC is changing rapidly. Just check Apple share price against MS.

But I do agree with the above posts. I'm presuming it's PC only too, just not seen that logo before today

I think that apple share prices might have something to do with their cornering of the mp3, smartphone and tablet market as opposed to the amount of hipsters who buy their PC's.

As of Dec 2010 Apple had about 12.26% of the PC market (including laptops). About 95% of those apple PC's most likely do not have the required hardware to even consider running Cliffs of Dover.

The idea of having COD run on an Apple has probably never crossed any of the developer's minds in a non-ironic sense..

Flying Pencil
01-21-2011, 01:31 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/34j2a9z.jpg

That just means that it will be distributed on standard DVD's as opposed to CD's or HD-DVD's or Blueray disks. PC-Mac just means the industry standard DVD's as opposed to some moon-disc that nobody's ever heard of.

Never saw that icon before either on a PC only software (when both names shown, it is dual platform).
Please provide an example of this showing same icon on a non-Mac software that has that.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Besides, the game's DirectX so it would be a nasty port to make.

Does not have to be hard.
I know one game that used OpenGL for Mac port, and DX for WIndows.

1. The Mac platform has very few Flight sim style games, so they have a potentially huge unexploited market.

2. Apple uses ATI or Nvidea chips in all its computers except the lowest end MacBook and MacBook Air. Even last 2 years of the tiny MacMini is using an Nvidia GeForce 9400M with 256 MiB of DDR3 SDRAM or currently NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256MiB of DDR3 SDRAM

3. Mac's have been steadily gaining market-share and forecasts show sustained growth.

4. Historically it is much easier to support Apple computers then Windows because very well documented hardware/software (many companies have dozens of Windows support people, but only 1 or 2 for Mac).

5. iPhone/iPod/iPad success.

6. Windows is sooooooo 2000. ;)

At the very least UBI is being smart by supporting a resurgent platform, and at best they could potential see large revenues from that market.

EDIT: Download is PC, found that on UBI site.

Oldschool61
01-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Never saw that icon before either on a PC only software (when both names shown, it is dual platform).
Please provide an example of this showing same icon on a non-Mac software that has that.

I know one game that used OpenAL for Mac port, and DX for WIndows.

1. The Mac platform has very few Flight sim style games, so they have a potentially huge unexploited market.

2. Apple uses ATI or Nvidea chips in all its computers except the lowest end MacBook and MacBook Air. Even last 2 years of the tiny MacMini is using an Nvidia GeForce 9400M with 256 MiB of DDR3 SDRAM or currently NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256MiB of DDR3 SDRAM

3. Mac's have been steadily gaining market-share and forecasts show sustained growth.

4. Historically it is much easier to support Apple computers then Windows because very well documented hardware/software (many companies have dozens of Windows support people, but only 1 or 2 for Mac).

At the very least UBI is being smart by supporting a resurgent platform, and at best they could potential see large revenues from that market.

Your living in a fantasy world. Predominant mac user is computer illiterate and has no interest in gaming. Every person I know who owned a Mac was a completly computer illiterate. Tell me how easy is it to upgrade a mac for cpu, ram and video card. And what does apple charge for said hardware?? And news today says anyone who brings in there iphone 4 for service is haveing the philips screws changed to secure pentalobe screws so they cant change there own batteries. Is this a company you want to support?? They make UBI look good!!

speculum jockey
01-21-2011, 03:28 PM

Huge market? 12.26% of the computer market is Mac. A large portion of those computers would be work PC's and laptops. All the people I know who use Macs are either computer illiterate or usign them for graphics/publishing purposes.

The other 88% of the PC market is Windows, of which probably less than 0.5% play flight sims. Now take the Mac market, and lets say that 1% are interested in flight sims. You've got a tiny, tiny, tiny market who you would be wasting development resources and money on for almost no benefit. I wouldn't be surprised if the porting costs would be much much more for even optamistic sales in the Mac market.

That logo is either a mistake or like I said earlier, just pointing out that the physical copy of the game is being distributed on the more than decade old DVD standard that is currently used by most PC's (Windows and Mac).

p.s. are current joystick/hotas/tracking software even readily avalible in a Mac format?

Porting and Marketing a flight sim for the Mac would be like marketing downhill skiiing equipment for Cuba. Not worth it.

Kano_Magnus
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
The makers of X-Plane 9 (9!) might disagree with you there

Tacoma74
01-21-2011, 03:44 PM
+1 to speculum jockey

And to add to this:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=18292

They didn't release any Mac supported games b4, and they're not going to do it in the future. I see no reason to anyways.. the PC is such a better gaming platform.

TheGrunch
01-21-2011, 04:11 PM

Yeah, and if it was an actual native port and not just a release of the PC version with a wrapper like Cider, how many years after the original game was released did it come out? :)

addman
01-21-2011, 04:16 PM
What's the point of developing for MacOS when you can dualboot a Mac with Windows 7? LOL!

TheGrunch
01-21-2011, 04:22 PM
What's the point of developing for MacOS when you can dualboot a Linux distribution with Windows 7? LOL!
Fixed that for you. ;)

addman
01-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Fixed that for you. ;)
Whatever, Linux, Windows, MacOS are just the OS, all the hardware is PC. The Macs are overpriced, overdesigned and underspeced PC's that's all they are :) At least before they had their own unique hardware but not so anymore.

TheGrunch
01-21-2011, 05:00 PM
The Macs are overpriced, overdesigned and underspeced PC's that's all they are :)
Definitely. It's weird they use underspecced graphics cards with some of the video memory removed and things like that. Seems utterly pointless. And the amount they charge for upgrades if you decided to add stuff to your custom Mac from their store is about three times what the component is worth, for some reason. Arghhh, Apple. What an awful company.
As to MacOS, why pay for just another flavour of Unix?

Azimech
01-21-2011, 06:34 PM
If I was the head of 1C or any other games company, I wouldn't waste a single line of code on any apple product. Never.

Oldschool61
01-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Definitely. It's weird they use underspecced graphics cards with some of the video memory removed and things like that. Seems utterly pointless. And the amount they charge for upgrades if you decided to add stuff to your custom Mac from their store is about three times what the component is worth, for some reason. Arghhh, Apple. What an awful company.
As to MacOS, why pay for just another flavour of Unix?

They do it from a purely greed standpoint. They know most mac users are idiots and dont require high performance hardware so they strip it down to bare minimum and leave the price at a premium. ANd you get maximum profits by ripping of your loyal sheeple.

EAF92_Brigstock
01-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I spend my days supporting windows for a living. When I get home everything is Apple except my gaming PC.
I suppose it's personal choice, I prefer Apple products. Good design, good components and an OS does what you need it to do without moaning.
Blue screens, explorer.exe (not responding), do you want to send this error report to microsoft etc. I don't enjoy that.

Gaming on a MAC, it's possible. I enjoy the occasional session of Call of Duty on my MacBook without issue. It's a shame more peripherals weren't compatible or I be on a MAC for my flight sims too. With Apple doing I7's and aftermarket NVidia cards it'd be possible.

But of course this is all pointless as my original presumption was well off, as I suspected in the first place.

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-21-2011, 08:29 PM

OpenAL is a sound API. If you mean OpenGL then OpenGL and DirectX are completely different APIs and you would have to code your game twice, or use a DX wrapper like Il2 does, and you see how crappy il2 looks in dx.

1. There is a huge unexploited market to sell freezers to eskimos, doesn't mean there's any money in it.

2. All those graphics parts are crap, I mean really crap, they would all struggle and choke to run Il2 with anything more than 1024x768 and 2x AA, let alone the beast that is going to be CoD.

3. Macs have been growing in market share, but the rate is comparable to Linux so they are not really gaining overall. And a growth from say 10% to 13% looks good on paper, but it still means that 87% of the worlds computer are not Macs.

4. It's easier to support Macs because there are so few of them.

5. That has nothing to do with computers.

6. Really....just...really?

Azimech
01-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Previous post: +1.

I came from an underdog platform, the Amiga. Was wonderful 23 years ago. At the end of the nineties I switched to PC. Never looked back.

To have the idea that any IL2 variant or be it CoD, will ever be ported to mac is totally ludicrous. And rightly so. Macs are for DTP, music, video and nothing else.

Flying Pencil
01-22-2011, 01:36 AM
Yeah, and if it was an actual native port and not just a release of the PC version with a wrapper like Cider, how many years after the original game was released did it come out? :)

Exactly 1 year later.

They originally tried Linux, but that one did not take at all.
So the took the same source code and did a compile for Mac OS X, that took off, and have had enough customers they kept support Mac for 9 years.

Mac OS X = Unix = Linux = HP (that is more then 90% the same)

Flying Pencil
01-22-2011, 02:05 AM
Your living in a fantasy world. Predominant mac user is computer illiterate and has no interest in gaming. Every person I know who owned a Mac was a completly computer illiterate. Tell me how easy is it to upgrade a mac for cpu, ram and video card. And what does apple charge for said hardware?? And news today says anyone who brings in there iphone 4 for service is haveing the philips screws changed to secure pentalobe screws so they cant change there own batteries. Is this a company you want to support?? They make UBI look good!!

People who get Mac wants something that works.
Look how many "Windows for Dummies" and "Windows protection software" exist for that OS? And I only have to mention the "Virus of the Week for Windows".
The reason "mac user is computer illiterate " is simply because they are computer illiterate, period, and are sick and tired of crap that Microsoft (until recently, kind of).

Some of those sick and tried of MS crap switch to a flavor of Linux and Open Office (or such), but neither are well supported and is hard to get a fix if their is a problem, (if their was, MS would be out of business).

Google is taking customers away from MS, and Apple, but they also fully support Mac and the iPhone (even in competition with its Chrome and Android).

CoD (the other one), MoH, WoW, Halo, Civ, X-Plane, quite a lot of games are cross platform with full MMO support to say Mac lacks games is simply wrong.

Compare hardware specs of Dell/Alienware tower with Mac Pro and for about the same price you get the same hardware, and Dell is actually the more expensive of two.

It is true peripherals are lacking for the Mac, but that does stop them from being a game machine.

You have a closed mind, but the fact is, in 1998 every considered Apple was dead. Today (since 2010) they have a bigger market cap MS, only second to Exxon Mobile, so you cannot discount the possibility that Mac's will become a premier gaming platform like a PC. If you do then you are a fool.

Flying Pencil
01-22-2011, 02:08 AM
OpenAL is a sound API. If you mean OpenGL then OpenGL and DirectX are completely different APIs and you would have to code your game twice, or use a DX wrapper like Il2 does, and you see how crappy il2 looks in dx.

1. There is a huge unexploited market to sell freezers to eskimos, doesn't mean there's any money in it.

2. All those graphics parts are crap, I mean really crap, they would all struggle and choke to run Il2 with anything more than 1024x768 and 2x AA, let alone the beast that is going to be CoD.

3. Macs have been growing in market share, but the rate is comparable to Linux so they are not really gaining overall. And a growth from say 10% to 13% looks good on paper, but it still means that 87% of the worlds computer are not Macs.

4. It's easier to support Macs because there are so few of them.

5. That has nothing to do with computers.

6. Really....just...really?

I meant GL, and yes they made two versions that was not excessively expensive (eventually they went all OpenGL and it worked fine).

You started good, but really...just...really, do you have waste your time on empty dribble after?

mazex
01-22-2011, 03:44 AM
A Mac vs PC thread! Never thought that would come up here ;) Anyhow - with the game being DirectX now and some shots from the MG office that indicated that part of the code is being written in C# it's a safe bet that there will be no Mac port...

Regarding the issue of Mac vs PC there are different points of view and it's only the computer illiterates that stubbornly take one side. True nerds realize the potential of both platforms... (this statement was not valid before Mac OS X ;))

Meusli
01-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Look how many "Windows for Dummies" and "Windows protection software" exist for that OS? And I only have to mention the "Virus of the Week for Windows".
The reason "mac user is computer illiterate " is simply because they are computer illiterate, period, and are sick and tired of crap that Microsoft (until recently, kind of).

Some of those sick and tried of MS crap switch to a flavor of Linux and Open Office (or such), but neither are well supported and is hard to get a fix if their is a problem, (if their was, MS would be out of business).

Google is taking customers away from MS, and Apple, but they also fully support Mac and the iPhone (even in competition with its Chrome and Android).

CoD (the other one), MoH, WoW, Halo, Civ, X-Plane, quite a lot of games are cross platform with full MMO support to say Mac lacks games is simply wrong.

Compare hardware specs of Dell/Alienware tower with Mac Pro and for about the same price you get the same hardware, and Dell is actually the more expensive of two.

It is true peripherals are lacking for the Mac, but that does stop them from being a game machine.

You have a closed mind, but the fact is, in 1998 every considered Apple was dead. Today (since 2010) they have a bigger market cap MS, only second to Exxon Mobile, so you cannot discount the possibility that Mac's will become a premier gaming platform like a PC. If you do then you are a fool.

Wow, just wow. I do not have the time to respond to this but not only was he wrong so are you. It's so easy to stereotype against the other system but at the end of the day it's all pointless.

Flying Pencil
01-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Wow, just wow. I do not have the time to respond to this but not only was he wrong so are you. It's so easy to stereotype against the other system but at the end of the day it's all pointless.

When you have the time, please do tell.

I was a tech support professional first for a 2 year college, then a university with mix Windows (XP) and Mac (OS X, some OS 9) environment for a year. We had to be familiar with both virtues and vices of both platforms.

It was years ago and things change, but Windows is still not an easy platform to work with (conversely OS X is sometimes too simple, but for most that is non-issue).

Anyway, looking for your a more detailed reply.

Meusli
01-22-2011, 05:13 PM
OK here we go;

1) People who get Mac wants something that works. So everything Apple related just works while other companies produce broken stuff? So how do these other companies survive producing shoddy merchandise unless of course this statement is untrue. Also not everything Apple does just works. (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=&q=apple+product+problems&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_en-GBGB335GB336&ie=UTF-8)

2) There are tons of Windows for dummies books out there because there are tons more Windows users. That does not mean Apple escapes the dummies books though. (http://www.dummiesbooks.net/ipad-for-dummies-1235.html)

3) Sick and tired of MS crap? What crap is this and why would you switch to a unsupported operating system? Are we talking businesses here or home users?

4) At the moment Google is a search engine with fingers in a few other pies. Open Office is a good free product and there cloud stuff is exciting, but it is in no way a competitor to MS Office. There operating system is just about to be launched but is a massive unknown and will not likely to beat Windows any time soon.

5) Games on the MAC is where you are spot on, you only have to look at Steam to see people are taking the MAC as a gaming platform seriously.

6) Trying to compare the price of the most expensive PC manufacturer to Apple products is a bit disingenuous. There are tons of companies out there to buy from that are far cheaper than Apple.

This is not really an argument I like as they are quite pointless as nobody really wins them. All the platforms are cool in their own way and making this beauty MAC compatible is a good move I reckon. More players = more money for Oleg which is something we can all get behind.

ps Sorry if I come across as rude. I am not very eloquent with writing.

TheGrunch
01-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Exactly 1 year later.

They originally tried Linux, but that one did not take at all.
So the took the same source code and did a compile for Mac OS X, that took off, and have had enough customers they kept support Mac for 9 years.

Mac OS X = Unix = Linux = HP (that is more then 90% the same)
And which was this game? Would you say it was graphically near the state of the art when it was released? Did it use a DX wrapper over OpenGL for Windows in the first place like IL-2 can, for example? I highlight "same source code" in particular because there is no physical way it could be the same source code for both DirectX and OpenGL.

I'm perfectly aware of the last sentence, but what's the total cost of ownership of a Linux system compared to a Mac? It's the cost of the components of the system at the cheapest price you can find them, that's all, not about 2x the cost of some extremely poor components that you can't choose for yourself. I don't have any problems with OS X, it just annoys me that I'd have to use their horrible hardware to use it. It's actually something that Microsoft would have been prosecuted for by now, to be honest, it's fairly anti-competitive using a check to make sure that your OS is installed on your own hardware and no others, especially since there's now no physical reason you shouldn't install OS X on other hardware.

KOM.Nausicaa
01-23-2011, 01:07 PM

Exactly. I have been a PC user for 10 years --working, gaming, you name it. Windows NT, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, I have had them all. They are all crap alike, compared to my experiences with Snow Leopard. I use the computer everyday as freelance artist. A day or two with a broken machine is a disaster for me, economically. Last year I started switching everything to Mac, because it WORKS, and I can trust it. I have never looked back. And that doesn't mean I am a computer illiterate.
And btw, the gaming market for Mac is growing....check out the macgamestore, you might be surprised. Sure, it's a lot less than PC.....but not as few as some think.
Honestly, if IL2 COD would come on Mac, I would never touch a PC again.

Azimech
01-23-2011, 01:54 PM
It's nice you have an opinion, KOM.Nausicaa. Unfortunately not every mac user shares it. Friend of mine is a music producer and is forced to use macs due to certain software restrictions. He hates them and every spare minute he uses the PC instead.

Personally I haven't seen a single just motive to switch to mac if the PC is used properly. I switched to Win 7-64 recently out of curiosity, not because my Win XP was lacking (and I'm a heavy user). But maybe that's a difference between an artist and a tech junkie, I solve problems or choose a workaround instead of running away from them (wait 'till your mac breaks down, I've seen plenty dead or crippled macs with angry or horrified users, believe me). On the other hand, build a PC based on an Asus motherboard, choose a quality harddisk and install a multiboot with NT based OSses, keep your airflow proper and there is no reason for your PC to have any downtime.

About cross platform titles: Bad idea. I saw the differences between titles in the eighties and early nineties between platforms: Amiga, Atari ST, C64, C128, PC.... Instead of having one title that was developed to the max, there was a division of resources. I've seen a lot of bugs and lacking performance.

I want 1C to use all their resources for improving the product, not to boldly go into wild adventures into unknown territory. The aim is to make the best simulation, period. Not the best selling but average simulation.

;)

KOM.Nausicaa
01-23-2011, 03:38 PM
It's nice you have an opinion, KOM.Nausicaa. Unfortunately not every mac user shares it. Friend of mine is a music producer and is forced to use macs due to certain software restrictions. He hates them and every spare minute he uses the PC instead.

Personally I haven't seen a single just motive to switch to mac if the PC is used properly.

You know I can use a PC properly --
;-)

That doesn't take away the flaws: the annoying updates for security reasons, the viruses, the performance issues, and all the rest. And add to that the clumsy navigation in the interfaces, the reboots etc etc. About almost everything is harder to do on a PC.

I want to make clear that I am not a Mac fan. I am a fan of a machine that is reliable and gives me peace of mind, for my WORK. That's it, not more and not less. So far my Macs (i own several) haven't had a single problem yet, not even the slightest hiccup. (and they are also completely silent, I like that too). So, am I happy customer? So far yes....and that is all what counts for me. If Microsoft achieves the same in the future than more power to them.

Pickle
01-29-2014, 01:53 PM
I hate to dig up an old thread, and apparently a lot of hate but is anyone running this in bootcamp anymore? I am looking into this for my new iMac.
Anything I should look out for? Configurations? How is Steam running through bootcamp?

Pickle
02-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Ok, if there are any mac users who are still curious, COD works great on Mavericks and bootcamp. I Installed Bootcamp and Windows 7 on my iMac this weekend. After the loooong fight with drivers I have everything working. Installed COD from Steam, upgraded to TF 3.0, TF3.1 and finally TF4.0. I just had a chance to fly some quick missions mainly getting my setting set up graphics and controls. So far it works great. I have graphics set to med with some key items set to high and seems to run smooth. I'm not sure if I have my graphics card running on high yet but I am getting there.

CWMV
02-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Hooray for the i-tards.