PDA

View Full Version : 128 planes online...same for offline play?

Stiboo
01-19-2011, 07:45 PM
In IL2 the maximum amount of planes you could have in offline single player missions was 64 vs 64 ( 4 flights of 4 squadrons on each side)

COD says up to 128 players online, does this mean we have the same old limits again as IL2 single player?

I hope not as this was a big problem when designing missions and campaigns...never enough plane slots!

fingers crossed..

pupo162
01-19-2011, 08:10 PM
really? 64 vs 64?

i was under the iompression to have seen flights of up to a 100 on a single team ( the other was only a few tough), offline i say.

Heliocon
01-20-2011, 03:00 AM
I am sure there will be many more offline. Online its not a computer issue but a server side issue with managment and ping. If one person has a network hiccupt it ripples to everyone else, due to this the more you add the harder it is to get smooth gameplay. Also the more players, the closer the server has to be on average to the players to reduce the ping.

But offline those dont apply.

Bobb4
01-20-2011, 06:37 AM
I am sure there will be many more offline. Online its not a computer issue but a server side issue with managment and ping. If one person has a network hiccupt it ripples to everyone else, due to this the more you add the harder it is to get smooth gameplay. Also the more players, the closer the server has to be on average to the players to reduce the ping.

But offline those dont apply.

We have heard nothing about how the game handles online or offline (lan in this case I believe) so making a sweeping statement about the network is pointless.
If we are talking about offline as player vs ai then it will all depend on your CPU and ram. Chances are you will be playing a lot less than 128 enemies offline in that case.
BOB2 handles this problem by creating bubbles of planes that flew as a single entity until the player reach a certain range and then slowly activated individual planes to the proper ai as an if required. I know this is a rather simplistic explanation. But the same applies to RoF which only activates ai within 10km of the pilot I believe. Again a rather symplistic view.
What is awesome is the 128 player online straight-off the bat. This can only mean many, many more as we go into the future.

As for distance from the server, that is not the factor, quality of ping is. And your bandwidth as well.
If the network is a reworked il2 code then everything is controled on your computer with the dedicated server used as a conduit of information to and from each player.
This allowed for pings of 400 plus to be still playable. :)

The downside is the more you add ai the more unstable it becomes. :)

Heliocon
01-20-2011, 11:07 AM
We have heard nothing about how the game handles online or offline (lan in this case I believe) so making a sweeping statement about the network is pointless.
If we are talking about offline as player vs ai then it will all depend on your CPU and ram. Chances are you will be playing a lot less than 128 enemies offline in that case.
BOB2 handles this problem by creating bubbles of planes that flew as a single entity until the player reach a certain range and then slowly activated individual planes to the proper ai as an if required. I know this is a rather simplistic explanation. But the same applies to RoF which only activates ai within 10km of the pilot I believe. Again a rather symplistic view.
What is awesome is the 128 player online straight-off the bat. This can only mean many, many more as we go into the future.

As for distance from the server, that is not the factor, quality of ping is. And your bandwidth as well.
If the network is a reworked il2 code then everything is controled on your computer with the dedicated server used as a conduit of information to and from each player.
This allowed for pings of 400 plus to be still playable. :)

The downside is the more you add ai the more unstable it becomes. :)

Oh god, you just made me facepalm.
First off I can make a sweeping statement about networks because I know how a network works, its not LAN so obviously you are already off to a bad start. LAN is not the internet, I would love to see you set up 128 computers in a hall though to try it out. So dont tell me I dont know, when you dont even know what the dif between LAN and internet is...
Again Ping is the distance the server is from the players computer. Ping increases as distance of player from server increases. Ping is the time it takes a packet to go from the client to the host and then to be relayed back to the client. That is your ping. Fail lol

Also a ping of 400 means it takes 400 miliseconds for a message to make a trip, for a FPS over 200 is unplayable, over 100 is unplayable competitivly.

As for AI, a modern multi core cpu can easily handle the AI, thats the easy part. Ai is normally intensive in games due to pathfinding and things like that, if you are flying its less restrictive. The new cap is physics.

Bobb4
01-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Oh god, you just made me facepalm.
First off I can make a sweeping statement about networks because I know how a network works, its not LAN so obviously you are already off to a bad start. LAN is not the internet, I would love to see you set up 128 computers in a hall though to try it out. So dont tell me I dont know, when you dont even know what the dif between LAN and internet is...
Again Ping is the distance the server is from the players computer. Ping increases as distance of player from server increases. Ping is the time it takes a packet to go from the client to the host and then to be relayed back to the client. That is your ping. Fail lol

Also a ping of 400 means it takes 400 miliseconds for a message to make a trip, for a FPS over 200 is unplayable, over 100 is unplayable competitivly.

As for AI, a modern multi core cpu can easily handle the AI, thats the easy part. Ai is normally intensive in games due to pathfinding and things like that, if you are flying its less restrictive. The new cap is physics.

Luckly we are not talking FPS :)
But I bow to your wisdom on networks.

Time & distance. You can use the Ping command to determine how long it takes to bounce a packet off of another site, which tells you its Internet distance in network terms. For example, a website hosted on your neighbor's computer next door with a different Internet service provider might go through more routers and be farther away in network distance than a site on the other side of the ocean with a direct connection to the Internet backbone.

Heliocon
01-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Luckly we are not talking FPS :)
But I bow to your wisdom on networks.

Time & distance. You can use the Ping command to determine how long it takes to bounce a packet off of another site, which tells you its Internet distance in network terms. For example, a website hosted on your neighbor's computer next door with a different Internet service provider might go through more routers and be farther away in network distance than a site on the other side of the ocean with a direct connection to the Internet backbone.

Yep - correct. I didnt want to complicate it, but ping is also of course affected by hubs and how many routers/lines it has to go through in order to get to the destination and back. So technically a closer server can have a higher ping if your signal needs to travel for a longer period of time due to its routing (think of a highway vs a normal road with traffic lights).

Also ping is often as bad as the worst player/ping in the game, if one persons internet sucks then it drags down everyone. In this case bandwidth is only used if you need to DL a map or scenario or at game start, after that bandwidth is not so much an isssue (unless you are on 56k dialup lol).

Anyone know if there will be dedicated servers or will it be all client based hosting?