PDA

View Full Version : Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Interview with Ilya Shevchenko

Nike-it
01-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Neocrisis published brand new interview with Ilya Shevchenko about upcoming Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover.
You can read it here (http://www.neocrisis.com/articles/198-gaming-interviews/6459-il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover-interview).

albx
01-19-2011, 11:42 AM
very interesting interview, thank you

Meusli
01-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Cheers Nike-it, great little interview.

kendo65
01-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Very interesting.

Couldn't resist quoting this:

Few people realize just how hilarious game development is. No one sees it when the product is released. During development, nothing ever works the first time, and sometimes thing break in such unexpected ways, the entire office gathers in front of a computer and almost literally rolls on the floor laughing.

That's what makes the process fun. Tracers that loop around and hit your own plane. Pilots that grow giant legs and piggyback onto the fuselage

I would like to have seen and read the reaction on here if those videos had been posted! :)

TheSwede
01-19-2011, 01:43 PM
I like his last answer! Every developer should put that on their walls!

But I dont understand why they insert screens from Wings of Prey in the middle. :(

Nike-it
01-19-2011, 01:45 PM
I like his last answer! Every developer should put that on their walls!

But I dont understand why they insert screens from Wings of Prey in the middle. :(

He-he, right you are. We will ask then to change:)

TheSwede
01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
He-he, right you are. We will ask then to change:)

Thank you!

addman
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
It's too early to reveal more, but rest assured, many eyebrows will be raised once the sequel is announced!
That's a real teaser:)

ChrisDNT
01-19-2011, 02:22 PM
What's great about this kind of interviews is that they reveal, as a rule, almost nothing new.

addman
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
What's great about this kind of interviews is that they reveal, as a rule, almost nothing new.
Maybe that doesn't have to be the goal of every game article. This article did give me some interesting insight into the development of the game which for me is just as interesting.

ChrisDNT
01-19-2011, 02:39 PM
It's perhaps that after so many years of development, I was waiting for more.

SpecialCake
01-20-2011, 12:29 AM
"Can you provide any insight into your next title?

Similar to the way we handled our previous releases, our sequel will be a stand-alone application that, if bought together with Cliffs of Dover, will install together into a single merged application allowing you to fly older planes in new settings, or newer planes in Battle of Britain. It's too early to reveal more, but rest assured, many eyebrows will be raised once the sequel is announced! "

Oh my, let me guess!

IL-2 Sturmovik: IL-2 Sturmovik

That would be exciting.

Blackdog_kt
01-20-2011, 03:05 AM
In igrommir they talked about a battle of Moscow add-on, plus we also know that mr Shevchenko intends to deliver a Korean war sim as well at some point.

However, i think we have enough pointers to go by that there might be a mediterranean/n.africa add-on as well.
Now i was thinking,
1) There's lot's of similar aircraft that can be transferred from CoD to a n.africa scenario: Ju87, Bf-109E, Bf-110, the Italian aircraft.
2) There's just as many that can be transferred from a n.africa add-on to CoD. They didn't serve during the battle of Britain, but they did during the "canal war" phase (41-42): Spit MkV, Hurricane Mk.IIc, Bf-109F, etc.

Of course, it could also mean that they'd simply take the German planes and use them in the Moscow add-on, but he states in the interview about flying existing types from the CoD planeset in another theater, plus planes from the new one in CoD. You can't fly Yaks and LaGGs in the channel though, plus he mentions that people will be surprised when it's announced, so i'm thinking n.africa ;)

Bobb4
01-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Battle of France would only require the addition of French and maybe Polish planes

mazex
01-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Battle of France would only require the addition of French and maybe Polish planes

The battle of France would naturally be interesting, but not that many are masochists that like being massacred in their Fairey Battles ;) My bet is on north Africa as it would explain the time spent on the Italian planes that where a minor part i Bob (compared to some German planes that are not flyable).

Another thing is that if I would ask a man on the street about the battle of France he would say 1944 and start talking about Normandy, but the north African campaign would bring up stories of desert rats and Rommel... Most adults in the west even recognize the Africa corps insignia after Indiana Jones ;)

addman
01-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Neither of these speculative follow-up titles would "raise my eyebrows". It would only be like "oh, a MTO/Battle of France/Eastern front addon, how EXPECTED" LOL! I think there's something going on that is going to shake up the community BIG time.

DD_crash
01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
I hope that there are no copywrite or trademark entanglements. But with Ubi involved then you never know ;)

AWL_Spinner
01-20-2011, 08:04 PM
I do wonder what they're going to call the expansions.

In "IL2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover" the "Cliffs of Dover" is a second-level title so it'll be interesting to see if add-ons have no reference to CoD (which I suppose would make geographical sense), or whether that is retained to create a new "Brand".

Say we went to the Med,

IL2 Sturmovik: Sands of Malta

Would seem to make more sense than

IL2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover: Mediterranean

But then without reference to CoD there is no "tie-in" to the product you're expanding. On the shelf, IL2: 1946, IL2: CoD and IL2: SoM would all seem to be at the same top level, whereas in reality they're not.

Bit of a branding pickle if you ask me. Which I appreciate you aren't :)

Still, nice interview.

Cheers, Spinner

ATAG_Doc
01-20-2011, 09:05 PM
This is going to be great! Can't wait.

TheGrunch
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
But then without reference to CoD there is no "tie-in" to the product you're expanding. On the shelf, IL2: 1946, IL2: CoD and IL2: SoM would all seem to be at the same top level, whereas in reality they're not.
Well to be fair, they are supposed to be stand-alone titles that can be merged. I can just imagine the amount of new players getting confused about that wondering why they can't merge Il-2 Sturmovik:1946 with CoD and whatever else. It was such a poor decision using Il-2 as the brand for these new titles.

Hecke
01-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Well to be fair, they are supposed to be stand-alone titles that can be merged. I can just imagine the amount of new players getting confused about that wondering why they can't merge Il-2 Sturmovik:1946 with CoD and whatever else. It was such a poor decision using Il-2 as the brand for these new titles.

I have to agree. This decision was so short-sighted, atleast they will realize the mess later.

major_setback
01-20-2011, 11:42 PM
So how do I merge it with Pacific Fighters?

:-)

TheGrunch
01-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Yo dawg, I herd u cud just liek copie the directries across!!1

BadAim
01-21-2011, 01:47 AM

There is no figuring the potential stupidity of marketing types, I'm sure that at some point Oleg just threw up his hands and said "Fine go ahead name it what you want, just publish the #%^&$%& thing already!"

CrazySchmidt
01-21-2011, 11:02 AM
There is no figuring the potential stupidity of marketing types, I'm sure that at some point Oleg just threw up his hands and said "Fine go ahead name it what you want, just publish the #%^&$%& thing already!"

I agree and at the end of the day who really cares what the title is, it's how the bitch will play that matters (forgive me, I've been watching DNF vids the last hour and thus my language has been inspired).

Cheers, CS. :)

Tvrdi
01-21-2011, 01:28 PM
would be interesting to see how they modelled overheating and negative G fuel cut out in early spits. (a rich mixture cut-out, which would shut down the engine completely, which was a serious drawback in combat)...we will see hehe

Feathered_IV
01-23-2011, 12:54 PM
"Few people realize just how hilarious game development is. No one sees it when the product is released. During development, nothing ever works the first time, and sometimes thing break in such unexpected ways, the entire office gathers in front of a computer and almost literally rolls on the floor laughing.

That's what makes the process fun. Tracers that loop around and hit your own plane. Pilots that grow giant legs and piggyback onto the fuselage"

Perhaps a Cliffs of Dover - Out-takes bonus DVD? :-P

speculum jockey
02-14-2011, 05:53 PM
The title was a bad idea, and I guess it was out of Oleg's hands and yes, most marketing people have some manner of disconnect in their brains.

The "Cliffs of Dover: IL-2 Sturmovik" probably isn't going to be an issue with the majority of their customers. Most people who are flight simmers are pretty good at keeping current on the lastest news (not hard with such a small market). These people, the people who have been following for year and already pre-ordered it are not going to be a problem.

The new blood might be a different story. The people we need to get this niche market going again might be the ones that suffer or miss out completely. I can think of a hundred scenarios where the naming confuses people and results in them getting the wrong product or skipping this alltogether because they think it's a 10 year old game.

Storm of War was a great idea, and one that would have avoided all confusion, but that's over with and nothing we are going to say or do will change that. Hopefully Ubisoft gets off their asses and actually tries to market this game instead of just putting it on the back shelf behind their second string titles. Personally I don't like Ubisoft, and they never seem to learn their lessons, but hopefully this time they make a "mistake" and do something positive for COD.:grin:

Trooper117
02-14-2011, 06:25 PM
It could be called 'IL2 Biggles and the Naughty Jerries' and I'll still buy it, and so would everyone else..lol!
Who cares what they decide to name it.. We've been waiting for it for years now, and whatever it's called it's purely academic. :)

jpinard
02-14-2011, 07:26 PM
"Storm of War" was such a cool name. "Cliffs of Dover" sounds like hot-air balloon simulator. At some point, people who make stupid marketing decisions should be held accountable.

Hecke
02-14-2011, 08:03 PM
"Cliffs of dover" doesn't replace "Storm of War".

"Il-2 Sturmovik" replaces "Storm of War"

B25Mitch
02-15-2011, 04:01 PM
"IL-2" = "Storm of War"
"Cliffs of Dover" = "Battle of Britain"

"IL-2: Cliffs of Dover"
=
"Storm of War: Battle of Britain"

Part one of name two replaces part one of name one
Part two of name two replaces part two of name one

Name two as a whole replaces name one as a whole

each individual part of name two replaces the corresponding part of name one

Geddit?

W32Blaster
02-15-2011, 04:08 PM

huh?!
:confused:

:cool:

Hecke
02-16-2011, 05:24 PM
did you guys really think the title after this release would be called "Cliffs of dover - Mediteranean" then? That would be total bulls*it.

Ravenous
02-16-2011, 07:59 PM
haha, try Cliffs of the Med :D

Osprey
02-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Say we went to the Med,

IL2 Sturmovik: Sands of Malta

Great except Malta only has one beach with any sand on it.

WTE_Galway
02-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Great except Malta only has one beach with any sand on it.

Sand Dunes of Tunisia ?
Salt Flats of El Alamein ?
Exotic Bordellos of Cairo ?

The naming possibilities are endless ....

15JG52_Brauer
03-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Sand Dunes of Tunisia ?
Salt Flats of El Alamein ?
Exotic Bordellos of Cairo ?

The naming possibilities are endless ....

perhaps IL2 - Ice Cold in Alex :rolleyes:

Other possibilites moving to early 1940: IL2 Sitz-Krieg (For the Phoney War!)

Also perhaps Curry themed Japes about the India/Burma airwar - though could be a lot of hot ar around that one...Hm, maybe not

I'l get my coat....;)

Propwash_
03-28-2011, 08:19 PM
"IL-2" = "Storm of War"
"Cliffs of Dover" = "Battle of Britain"

"IL-2: Cliffs of Dover"
=
"Storm of War: Battle of Britain"

Name two as a whole replaces name one as a whole

each individual part of name two replaces the corresponding part of name one

Geddit?

Wait a minute!! Party of the second part did what...:confused: Somebody explain this or I won't be able to sleep tonight... :(