PDA

View Full Version : Please tell us what the bleedin' system spec is!

AndyJWest
01-18-2011, 06:11 PM
What I've just said...

(Now, I've asked more politely. Pretty please ;))

JG52Uther
01-18-2011, 06:32 PM
+ 1000,000
Announcing the games release date,without system specs,is VERY ubi ish...

Hecke
01-18-2011, 06:41 PM
+ a low graphics quality trailer which is not ubi ish at all.

There's no sense in holding back important stuff such as graphics.
Oleg won't earn more money for surprising buyers after they start the game.
He's payed for the surprise that leads people to buy it.

lbuchele
01-18-2011, 06:48 PM
+1

Qpassa
01-18-2011, 06:50 PM
+1

Dano
01-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Indeed, one would be most appreciative of knowing what system is required.

fruitbat
01-18-2011, 07:24 PM
What I've just said...

(Now, I've asked more politely. Pretty please ;))

your computer won't run it, so system requirements for you, are a new computer:rolleyes:

mazex
01-18-2011, 07:26 PM
your computer won't run it, so system requirements for you, are a new computer:rolleyes:

As the saying goes...

"If you have to ask you can't..." ;)

AndyJWest
01-18-2011, 07:29 PM
I know that. I've just got to find out how many body parts I'm going to have to sell to get one good enough.

(Annoyingly, I think I've finally tracked down what was making my ancient heap crash at odd times. Someone-or-other's law strikes again...)

Robert
01-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Godwin's or Murphy's?

orangefood
01-18-2011, 09:36 PM
At least describe the computer you guys use for taking update pictures and movies!

Sven
01-18-2011, 10:18 PM
I dont get why everyone here is so eager to hear the system specs.. seriously guys, if it's March walk to the store and turn the back of Cliffs of Dover over and there you go, the minimal system specs, problem solved.

Why do you want it now? to look at your up to date PC while you are waiting for CoD hits the stores? What use has that? And it's more expensive if you now already buy a complete system anyways, just wait it out! less expensive, more knowledge what really performs good and no whining afterwards!!

That day or 3 that takes you to install all the hardware and software ( If you are slow or careful) is not the end of the world you know!

Blackdog_kt
01-18-2011, 10:29 PM
The only thing that we've heard straight from a developer is that it needs 3GB of RAM minimum. The rest is up for speculation.

My personal guess is based on Luthier saying he snaps pics and videos on his own PC which is old, yet the videos we've seen are smooth with adequate frame rates on his chosen (i'm guessing low) detail settings and it still looks good enough.
Plus, we saw the videos from Igrommir where it ran with stutters, albeit on a below mimimum specs machine and at full detail.
Igrommir PCs were i5 with nVidia 460, but only had 2GB of RAM and that forced the game to buffer textures/read from the hard disk too often when flying over land, resulting in the stutters. Over the sea however it was smooth enough, so i'm guessing it was entirely due to the lack of additional RAM.

Taking all that into account to make an informed guess, for minimum requirements i'm guessing:

CPU: dual or quad core (most likely quad, unless the dual is running at least a specified high clock speed or more, eg it might run on a 3.2Ghz intel core2duo or equivalent AMD CPU, but not on a 2.6Ghz dual core)
RAM: 3GB as mentioned before
Graphics card: Something like Ati 48xx or nVidia 28x (ie, the previous, DX10 series of cards) for good FPS at medium to medium-high detail. On lowest detail probably even older cards might be possible (eg, nVidia 8800 if running low detail and DX9 only)
Hard Drive space: Anywhere between 10 and 20GB.

I think it will not have steep minimum requirements to just run it acceptably if you are willing to turn off a few visual goodies, but it will take a real monster of a PC to max it out completely.
When IL2 was released there was almost no PC that could max it out either, in fact there were "hidden" features like the detailed water and the perfect mode that got "unlocked" later on with patches and expansions, as PCs got faster.

I'm guessing something similar will happen with CoD as well, so that a lot of people will be able to run and enjoy it (thus ensuring good sales) but almost nobody will be able to have everything cranked up to maximum on release day, maybe not even with multiple DX11 generation cards in crossfire/SLI. After all, in most flight sims the real bottleneck tends to be the CPU in most cases...so even if i had dual 5970s on a core2quad i could be doing worse than a guy with a single 5850 on an 6-core i7.

But, like i said, it's just guessing ;)

orangefood
01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
You could do witha single core to as long as you got a good gcard with cuda
Ghz wouldn't really matter that much either

WTE_Galway
01-18-2011, 10:40 PM
What about the iphone app version ?

Dano
01-18-2011, 10:57 PM
You could do witha single core to as long as you got a good gcard with cuda
Ghz wouldn't really matter that much either

Flight sims are usually CPU intensive so I'm going to disagree with this.

JG52Uther
01-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Even RoF struggles with dual cores,so definitely get a quad at least!

BigC208
01-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Wanna know what to get? Get this and you'll be good to go:

CoolerMaster HAF-X full tower ATX Case
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 Six-Core Desktop Processor @4.5ghz
ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 Desktop Memory
CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply
3 x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Black Ops Superclocked edition Graphics Cards
2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
120 gigabyte Intell SSD
LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support
Lite-On 24X DVD Writer
Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler

If that's not going to run it on three 22 inch screens I just wasted $2800.

furbs
01-19-2011, 12:00 AM
Thats pretty good for $2800...built yourself?

Triggaaar
01-19-2011, 12:17 AM
If that's not going to run it on three 22 inch screens I just wasted $2800.With that system shouldn't you treat yourself to slightly bigger screens?

orangefood
01-19-2011, 03:27 AM
Even RoF struggles with dual cores,so definitely get a quad at least!

I have an overclocked single core, and the gpu and ram make the biggest difference. I get 190max fps on black death perfect. People seem to think you need the biggest and baddest system to play these games. Go educate yourself on money saving.

FS~Hawks
01-19-2011, 03:52 AM
All i can find is about video at the ubi shop on IL-2 COD

NEW 3D ENGINE
Latest-gen graphics engine with DX10 and DX11 API support. Huge variety of photorealistic ground vehicles, buildings and other environmental elements recreate minute details of 1940s Europe.

Not a real lot i know but it's a start the rest will come later may be in the weekly update if the is one now it has a release date.

BigC208
01-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Triggaar and furbs. System is a custombuilt that did not get picked up after buyer did a no show. I got the wholesale price for the sum of the parts. Was going to get a 2600k but that ended up being $700 more from Newegg than this.

The plan is to see how CoD runs and then probably go either 3x27 or 3xhp30w.
My brain wants the hp's but the pocket book says $800 more for 3 more inches per
screen is a bit silly. There's also a possibility that the game does not scale well
in sli. If that's the case 3x30 is probably going to be a slide show and I'll go with 3x27.

Biggs [CV]
01-19-2011, 04:37 AM
I would say if you have a system 2 years old or newer you should be able to run the game on pretty high settings. If you are running a single core or a gpu thats over 3 years old, or have less than 3 gig ram..........you really need to upgrade.
Just my opinion.

Heliocon
01-19-2011, 05:29 AM
I have an overclocked single core, and the gpu and ram make the biggest difference. I get 190max fps on black death perfect. People seem to think you need the biggest and baddest system to play these games. Go educate yourself on money saving.

I dont want to spoil your parade but for a game running anything but the most minimal dx9 settings your system is far from adequate. Yes ram makes a difference, but you max out at 3/4 (wont get into this) on 32bit. 64 bit systems are optimized for 4 cores or more, even a dual is handicapping yourself.
You dont need a monster pc, but a single core wont be able to hack this game in any decent manner.

Tiger27
01-19-2011, 05:43 AM

You are IMO incorrect on this one, if you take ROF as an example the CPU makes all the difference, the more high fidelity the fm the more processing you will require, in these types of games you can tweak the lower to mid graphics settings for an older GPU but you can't tweak the fm for a low grade CPU, I fly ROF with most settings on high but I have to turn off some terrain and bloom etc as my GPU is only an 8800gt, but once this is done the game runs very smoothly as I have an I7 920.

Remember that Il2-1946 is a sim based on a 10 - 12 year old engine, so running blackdeath is not comparable to running a modern sim.

Tacoma74
01-19-2011, 06:23 AM
I plan to keep my current system and see just exactly how it's going to run b4 I make any decisions concerning such a large amount of money. I figure i should be able to run at least medium settings at 1650 x 1050. IMO that is good enough for awhile, and i'll eventually invest in a GTX 580 and a new Corsair 750w PS. I have a bit more headroom to overclock my CPU as well, so I'm not really worried about going out and spending tons of money right away. But i suppose if the money isn't an issue for some than go for it. It's always nice to play on maximum settings with good fps :)

K_Freddie
01-19-2011, 07:24 AM
What about the iphone app version ?

ROFL ...ROFL :grin:

Blackdog_kt
01-19-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm not going to upgrade anything, apart from RAM maybe and that's mostly in order to be able to run other software in the background while i'm flying.

My system is:

Mobo: Asus P6T deluxe v2
CPU: i7 920 @ 2.7 GHz (completely stock, no overclocking whatsoever)
GPU: Ati 4890 1GB
Storage: 1.5 TB Western Digital Green 5000RPM or thereabouts (aka "low power consumption/noise but slow") purely for storage and 1.5 TB Seagate (the faster among the two, to install software and games into)
PSU: 700 watt Heroichi Cougar
RAM: 3GB, i might potentially bump this up to 6GB but no more than that.

I built it in spring 2008 for 1180 Euros, got a Dell 22" IPS monitor for 250 Euros three months later, bought the 4890 for 180 in Xmas season 2008 when my original 4870 died and used the 3-year warranty money from the busted 4870 to get the WD disk. All in all, 1600 Euros during the past two years.

I don't know why, but for some reason i'm quite confident that it will run well enough for me. Sure, i will experiment with the graphics options and sure, i might momentarily be a little jealous of people who have dual 5970s, but i am definitely not going to lose any sleep over it as long as it looks equal to or better than what we've seen in the weekly updates and does it at sufficient frame rates.

jayrc
01-19-2011, 08:23 AM
+1

David198502
01-19-2011, 09:53 AM
do you guys think im able to play this game with the current rig??:
-intel core i5-650,3,2GHz,dual core,gpu 733Mhz
-4GB ddr3ram
-sapphire radeon hd 5570,1024MB graphic card(dx11)

or is this a bit too optimistic?

JG52Uther
01-19-2011, 09:58 AM
I think you will be able to play it very nicely.

David198502
01-19-2011, 10:01 AM
really??
i am a bit concerned about the craphic card,as it was a really cheap one,and also the i5dual core processor is not the best,but it was all i could afford after my old computer died 3months ago.

JG52Uther
01-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Oh sorry,I thought the i5 was a quad! Well,you 'might' be able to play witha dual,although I think a quad will be much better.
I expect to play with a Q6600 overclocked to 3.2,4 GB ram and a 4850 1GB gfx card.At first...

pupaxx
01-19-2011, 10:07 AM
My system actually is a q6600 @3,00 Ghz, 4GB Ram and a 8800gt video card.
I'll wait the release of CoD before considering the upgrade. Upgrade i think no longer avoidable 4 me.
I'm considering the new I7 2600, a lot of review are tempting me in term of performances and prices.
Ciao

=XIII=Shea
01-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Guys i was also wondering the same question my specs are
i7 920 OC
6 gig of ram
gtx 280 but thinking of changing card to a HD 6950 and overclocking to a 6970

leggit
01-19-2011, 11:02 AM
do you guys think im able to play this game with the current rig??:
-intel core i5-650,3,2GHz,dual core,gpu 733Mhz
-4GB ddr3ram
-sapphire radeon hd 5570,1024MB graphic card(dx11)

or is this a bit too optimistic?

yes you'll be able to play with that machine.

Blackdog_kt
01-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Shea, i think you would be better off waiting for specific benchmarks and tests before making changes. You already have an up to date system that will run it fine so there's no reason buying stuff when it's all new and expensive (the 69xx series cards).

How do i know it? On the Russian gaming expo they were running it on full detail on an i5 with a GTX460 and only 2GB of RAM. Lots of stutters due to the low RAM (probably couldn't load the map/ground textures efficiently enough so it was constantly reading from the hard disk), but it was still running and it was also smooth over water. In fact, i'm willing to bet that the exact same systems they used in the gaming expo would run it just fine at moderately high settings if they had an extra GB or two of RAM.

The only component that's lagging behind a little is your graphics card. I think you GPU is about the same generation as mine is but with a bit less video RAM, although i'm not very familiar with nVidia naming conventions for the generation between the 8800 and the current 4xx/5xx series cards (it was the time i built my PC and i went with Ati for a change, so i missed what happened with nVidia).

In any case, the game won't be here for another two months so you can definitely wait until the new GPUs get a bit cheaper. Just wait for the game and save up some money until then.
When you finally have the game in your hands, if you see that you need more performance you'll be able to get more of it for the same amount of cash ;)

David198502
01-19-2011, 11:10 AM
yes you'll be able to play with that machine.

did you recognize that its only a dual core???
i would be more than happy if i could play that fantastic sim with my pc!

kendo65
01-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Brief quote from a new interview with Luthier:

http://www.neocrisis.com/articles/198-gaming-interviews/6459-il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover-interview

"Everything we're doing is so complex, so in-depth, making every little aspect perfect often took much more time than anticipated, and putting everything together and making it run on a mid-range PC was another huge challenge. The struggle paid off though. We ended up with a full package that will probably exceed many people's expectations"

So it will run on a mid-range PC. Cue debate on what constitutes a 'mid-range PC' and whether 'run' means barely and at low settings, or comfortably...:)

=XIII=Shea
01-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Shea, i think you would be better off waiting for specific benchmarks and tests before making changes. You already have an up to date system that will run it fine so there's no reason buying stuff when it's all new and expensive (the 69xx series cards).

How do i know it? On the Russian gaming expo they were running it on full detail on an i5 with a GTX460 and only 2GB of RAM. Lots of stutters due to the low RAM (probably couldn't load the map/ground textures efficiently enough so it was constantly reading from the hard disk), but it was still running and it was also smooth over water. In fact, i'm willing to bet that the exact same systems they used in the gaming expo would run it just fine at moderately high settings if they had an extra GB or two of RAM.

The only component that's lagging behind a little is your graphics card. I think you GPU is about the same generation as mine is but with a bit less video RAM, although i'm not very familiar with nVidia naming conventions for the generation between the 8800 and the current 4xx/5xx series cards (it was the time i built my PC and i went with Ati for a change, so i missed what happened with nVidia).

In any case, the game won't be here for another two months so you can definitely wait until the new GPUs get a bit cheaper. Just wait for the game and save up some money until then.
When you finally have the game in your hands, if you see that you need more performance you'll be able to get more of it for the same amount of cash ;)

Cheers m8,i will wait until the grapics cards get a little as ati has a new card coming out so hopefully the 6950/6970 will go down alot in price,the only reason i would buy a new card is that the gtx 280 only supports dx10 and it would be nice to have dx 11 for IL2:COD,thanks for the advice m8:)

House M.D.
01-19-2011, 01:47 PM
I have a very old system (AMD 3800X, 9800GT, 2GB RAM), but won't upgrade until the game is out and listen to many people and to their experience.
I remember that when IL-2 was out, my system, which was good for its time, wouldn't be able to play game in high settings, therefore I won't spend a single penny until I know that I won't buy a system that have to change it in a few months.
I'm not rich...

leggit
01-19-2011, 05:29 PM
did you recognize that its only a dual core???
i would be more than happy if i could play that fantastic sim with my pc!

its an i5 dual core bud...most current software does not use 4 cores anyway....as has been said the game has been optimized for "mid" range pc...that machine is a mid rng machine....

please keep at the back of your minds that most people buying this game will not be extreme fanboys running off to buy a $3000 machine to play a $50 game....therefore the lower C1 can get the system spec the more units they will sell....I imagine (and i may be wrong) that you will struggle with a duo core (pre i series) above that you'll see an increase in performance....any of you running off to buy a i7 980x to play CoD don't have a clue about computers.

Is it me.. but since last friday this forum has become a nut house.. with ppl running round like headless chickens....relax for godsake.

Oldschool61
01-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Wanna know what to get? Get this and you'll be good to go:

CoolerMaster HAF-X full tower ATX Case
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 Six-Core Desktop Processor @4.5ghz
ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 Desktop Memory
CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply
3 x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Black Ops Superclocked edition Graphics Cards
2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
120 gigabyte Intell SSD
LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support
Lite-On 24X DVD Writer
Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler

If that's not going to run it on three 22 inch screens I just wasted $2800.

If you really wasted that much money you should have your head examined

Flying Pencil
01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
+1+1 here too

+ 1000,000
Announcing the games release date,without system specs,is VERY ubi ish...

Exactly.
Let's hope it will not be a nightmare.

leggit
01-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Let's hope it will not be a nightmare.

the only nightmare happening here is you bouncing from thread to thread moaning about ubi.

David198502
01-19-2011, 06:51 PM
its an i5 dual core bud...most current software does not use 4 cores anyway....as has been said the game has been optimized for "mid" range pc...that machine is a mid rng machine....

please keep at the back of your minds that most people buying this game will not be extreme fanboys running off to buy a $3000 machine to play a $50 game....therefore the lower C1 can get the system spec the more units they will sell....I imagine (and i may be wrong) that you will struggle with a duo core (pre i series) above that you'll see an increase in performance....any of you running off to buy a i7 980x to play CoD don't have a clue about computers.

Is it me.. but since last friday this forum has become a nut house.. with ppl running round like headless chickens....relax for godsake.

thx leggit!you know im one of those who dont have a clue about computers.thats why im asking about your opinion.but im certainly not one of those who will run out and buy whatever they can get for their money without knowing if it will run fine on my pc or not.if it does not, then i will continually upgrade.

nearmiss
01-19-2011, 07:24 PM
This discussion topic is so worn out.

The thread will be locked, and please don't start another.

All kinds of information will begin to flow now, since the application is completed for distribution.