PDA

View Full Version : "Cliffs of Dover", title sounds... weak

Flying Pencil
01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Of all the titles I can think of for this game, "Cliffs of Dover" sounds limp, lacking immensity, or importance.

It would be excellent for a travel brochure, but an action game?

Had to re post this:
The acronym, CoD. Cash on Delivery??
Something UBIsoft would do, hummm?

ATAG_Dutch
01-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Of all the titles I can think of for this game, "Cliffs of Dover" sounds limp, lacking immensity, or importance.

I understand what you mean, but certainly to us Brits they're a national symbol of erm.. Britishness. Also a symbol of defiance to any potential invader. Even to us Northerners.

Also, rumour has it it that some Luftwaffe aircrew were physically sick as they loomed closer.

I do prefer 'Storm of War' myself however.:)

Coen020
01-14-2011, 06:15 PM
tbh, i don't think it's that bad, i actually think Storm of War sounds a bit cliche/corny.

Letum
01-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Game titles that take the format "Things of this" are far too common.

Call of Duty
Wings of prey
Age of x
Arsenal of Democracy
Legends of x
Company of Heroes
Dawn of x
Soldier of fortune
Shells of Fury
etc.
etc.
etc.

"Cliffs of Dover" isn't a horrid one, but it does sound like a FSX terrain addon.

Flying Pencil
01-14-2011, 06:20 PM
I understand what you mean, but certainly to us Brits they're a national symbol of erm.. Britishness. Also a symbol of defiance to any potential invader. Even to us Northerners.

Also, rumour has it it that some Luftwaffe aircrew were physically sick as they loomed closer.

I seen the White cliffs my self many times and they are impressive.

If it was a game on invading England, then yes, CoD would be excellent, but for an air war?

OH, and the acronym, COD. Cash On Delivery??
Some UBIsoft would do, hummm?

JG52Uther
01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I understand what you mean, but certainly to us Brits they're a national symbol of erm.. Britishness. Also a symbol of defiance to any potential invader.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
And the Battle of Britain was about invading Britain!

ATAG_Dutch
01-14-2011, 06:28 PM
If it was a game on invading England, then yes, CoD would be excellent, but for an air war?

OH, and the acronym, COD. Cash On Delivery??
Some UBIsoft would do, hummm?

Well, the effort for air superiority was in preparation for an attempt at invasion, so that bit fits.

Agree with the cash on delivery bit though. It was the first thing I noticed.

Uufflakke
01-14-2011, 06:31 PM
COD:
Cliffs of Dover or Call of Duty? :confused:

Chivas
01-14-2011, 06:34 PM
The White Cliffs of Dover are synonymous with the Battle of Britain. Thus a great choice for the title. I'm sure it was a difficult decision.

ATAG_Dutch
01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
The White Cliffs of Dover are synonymous with the Battle of Britain. Thus a great choice for the title. I'm sure it was a difficult decision.

This is also true.

(Queue Vera Lynne.....)

Everybody sing!!:grin:

proton45
01-14-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm just glad that (apparently) the game release date is creeping up on us. ;)

They can call it "IL2 Sturmovik, the return" for all I care... lol

Flying Pencil
01-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Not sure about that world wide.

Europe, yes, other parts of the world like USA, not so sure.

But they will now! :grin:

BigC208
01-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Anything with the Battle of Britain could've been mistaken for BoB WoV. CoD could cover the whole war. B17 crews coming back loved them as well later in the war. Il2 is a known quality product. That's why the publisher wanted it. Just like the movies. As long as it comes out soon I could care less what the call it. Cash on Delivery.

Richie
01-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Vera Lynn comes to mind too in that tittle and when you have Vera Lynn you have "The Battle Of Britain". With the whole complete tittle some people will automatically know that this should be an awesome sim. "IL-2 Sturmovik:Cliffs Of Dover".

Hecke
01-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Theres a big advantage with the COD name.

Many FPS players will mistakenly get to know this sim.
And maybe some of them will decide to buy it.

Qpassa
01-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Theres a big advantage with the COD name.

Many FPS players will mistakenly get to know this sim.
And maybe some of them will decide to buy it.

lol

Chivas
01-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Not sure about that world wide.

Europe, yes, other parts of the world like USA, not so sure.

But they will now! :grin:

I know in Canada its well known, but we are a commonwealth country with more interest in that history. Or maybe I'm just old and out of touch. ;)

ATAG_Dutch
01-14-2011, 07:44 PM
I know in Canada its well known, but we are a commonwealth country with more interest in that history. Or maybe I'm just old and out of touch. ;)

Johnny Kent would agree on the first count, but probably not on the second.:)

Richie
01-14-2011, 07:45 PM

God save our gracious Queen :)

When I was in grade 1, 2 and 3 we sang that every morning along with Oh Canada :)

Oh ya...any time a Canadian kid says zee instead of zed I want to slap him lol

Wutz
01-14-2011, 07:54 PM
God save our gracious Queen :)lol
I will agree on that! :cool:
http://blog.mtv.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Queen_-_The_Works_Band-565x423.jpg

Avimimus
01-14-2011, 11:55 PM

No, some of us youngsters are here to (and yes, as a Canadian I hear "Cliffs of Dover" and I see Very Lynn, a Spitfire and an ancient sea).

leggit
01-15-2011, 12:36 AM

Had to re post this:

Give Oleg a break ffs....the man just spent the best part of 10 years making this game...and your busting his chops about the name? the only thing that sounds limp round here is your whining. :evil:

Bussard_1
01-15-2011, 12:36 AM
CoD whilst a little naff is probably better than ScheissKanal.

Former_Older
01-15-2011, 01:04 AM

Good news! It's not an action game

Bearcat
01-15-2011, 03:32 AM
My beef is with dropping the Storm of War.. In my humble opinion at better title would have been

From the creators of the award winning IL2 series:

Storm of War:Cliffs of Dover

I think the whole SoW monikker was a better marketing tool that calling it IL2 Cliffs of Dover.. The Storm of War handle would have separated it from IL2.. only those in the know will know that it is an entirely new from the ground up product.. as I said though regardless to what it is called or what it contains.. or even if my PC can run it effectively.. as soon as I can get a hard copy I will have it. No reviews needed. As far as I am concerned.. if it from 1C and it is a flight sim.. and Oleg is running it... it is already a winner. Sight unseen.

BP_Tailspin
01-15-2011, 05:35 AM
My beef is with dropping the Storm of War.. In my humble opinion at better title would have been

From the creators of the award winning IL2 series:

Storm of War:Cliffs of Dover

I think the whole SoW monikker was a better marketing tool that calling it IL2 Cliffs of Dover.. The Storm of War handle would have separated it from IL2.

You nailed it Bearcat, they need a title for the series of flight sims not just a title a flight sim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IL-2_Sturmovik_%28video_game%29

Storm of War: Battle of Brittan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain

Storm of War: North Africa
You could start with North Africa and add Italy as an expansion pack.
Storm of War: Burma
You could start with Burma and add China as an expansion pack

[edit] Wolf_Rider gets the idea … follow the stages of WWII as it expanded.

Wolf_Rider
01-15-2011, 05:57 AM
yes, follow the stages of WWII as it expanded

swiss
01-15-2011, 06:03 AM

Had to re post this:

You really think they gonna (or even could) change the title at this stage???

Feathered_IV
01-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Storm of War was a name I'd be embarrassed to mention to non-initiates. While Cliffs of Dover does indeed sound rather limp. More like an add-on for the WoP series.

I'd have called it Finest Hour myself. ;)

swiss
01-15-2011, 07:09 AM
I'd have called it Finest Hour myself.

Now that DOES sound "ghey". ;)

Feathered_IV
01-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Grown ups would understand

swiss
01-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Grown ups would understand

Bros, we all know Churchill, that's not the point.
- It's a one sided title
- I can't imagine it to work in historically not involved countries

Richie
01-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Well now we can just say "Cod" ...like the fish :)

Feathered_IV
01-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Bros, we all know Churchill, that's not the point.
- It's a one sided title
- I can't imagine it to work historically not involved countries

I was thinking of Oleg's finest hour ;)

Azimech
01-15-2011, 08:04 AM
CoD whilst a little naff is probably better than ScheissKanal.

Ah, du Spaßvogel :-P

Richie
01-15-2011, 08:23 AM
"Eagle Day" !!!

Churchill wouldn't like that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV2BHAMBCXc

Wolf_Rider
01-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Storm of War, conjures up just that... the coming onslaught, the need to defend. (a bit like a cyclone about to make landfall)

Cliffs of Dover, conjures up nostalgia and the home fires. (tea and scones)

swiss
01-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Rising War ;)

bigbossmalone
01-15-2011, 09:52 AM
they can call it 'return of the name-whiners', for all i care....as long as it is all it it promises to be, lol!

meplay
01-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Battle of Britain:Cliffs of Dover ftw :P

Wolf_Rider
01-15-2011, 10:50 AM
:grin:

Richie
01-15-2011, 11:02 AM
"Hope And Glory" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLJKIsCtkic

Revvin
01-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Its just a name I suppose but I'm a little dissapointed by the choice, not that it will stop me buying it of course. I was looking forward to a new series, a break away from IL-2 because even IL-2 grew beyond what it was originally intended in scope.

I thought this might be the start of a fresh new series, like Eagle Dynamics when they started the DCS series after Lock On. Storm of War was a good title to add sub titles as the series grew, Storm of War: Battle of Britian etc. I think the title 'Cliffs of Dover' will just make it look like a scenery add-on to the Flight Sim series rather than a standalone product. 'Cliffs of Dover' to me has no intensity or sparkle. I think 'IL-2 Battle of Britain' would have been a better choice in my opinion.

Furio
01-15-2011, 02:16 PM
I’m relatively interested in titles, but it seems clear to me that they chose to keep “Il2 Sturmovik” as the head title, and as a highly renowned brand. As we already know that Chapter Two will be “Il2 Sturmovik : The Battle for Moscow”, we can expect something like: “Il2 Sturmovik: Wings Over Desert”, “Il2 Sturmovik: The Fortress Malta”, “Il2 Sturmovik: The Jungles of Burma”, and so on, you get the point.
Sometimes down the way we could even expect they’ll use the word “storm”, such as in “Il2 Sturmovik: Storm on Pearl Harbour”.
Looking forward;).

T}{OR
01-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I’m relatively interested in titles, but it seems clear to me that they chose to keep “Il2 Sturmovik” as the head title, and as a highly renowned brand. As we already know that Chapter Two will be “Il2 Sturmovik : The Battle for Moscow”, ...

IIRC "chapter two" still hasn't been revealed. ;)

smink1701
01-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Cliffs of Dover is fine. It's light years better than IL-2 Strumovik. The game will make the name not the other way around. Storm of War sounded a bit heavy handed to me. My email should be accepted by all and end the discussion. On to the next thread.:!:

zauii
01-15-2011, 04:14 PM
You folks always find something to pick on dont you.. if its not the FM or internet connection its the bloody name of the game.. lmao.
Besides its good if they can fit the name IL2 in there since its a known brand and will certainly help to sell copies.

DoolittleRaider
01-15-2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUx3MU9iM6c

yellonet
01-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Its just a name I suppose but I'm a little dissapointed by the choice, not that it will stop me buying it of course. I was looking forward to a new series, a break away from IL-2 because even IL-2 grew beyond what it was originally intended in scope.

I thought this might be the start of a fresh new series, like Eagle Dynamics when they started the DCS series after Lock On. Storm of War was a good title to add sub titles as the series grew, Storm of War: Battle of Britian etc. I think the title 'Cliffs of Dover' will just make it look like a scenery add-on to the Flight Sim series rather than a standalone product. 'Cliffs of Dover' to me has no intensity or sparkle. I think 'IL-2 Battle of Britain' would have been a better choice in my opinion.Pretty much how I feel about the name... a bit sad really.

DoolittleRaider
01-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Marketing has always been a huge weakness with IL-2, which I always felt was UBI's fault...but now I am not so sure.

Richie
01-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Well I've just been having fun with different tries on tittles. I really think there's any problem with the name given.

SAFMoby
01-15-2011, 10:23 PM
As a Brit " Cliffs of Dover " does not resonate at all with the Battle of Britain. You've got to wonder if they did any market research at all.

Things to associate more with BoB

The Few
Their finest hour
We shall never surrender
Achtung spitfuer!
Tally ho
Scramble
Eagle Day
Operation Sealion

etc etc

the whole cliffs of dover thing is for returning servicemen from fighting in Europe, on ships, from the song.

But hey I'm just a Brit, maybe CoD means more to the international community.

Moby

Mr_Steven
01-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Good grief that Hope and Glory clip with the Spitfire fly by is just TOO glorious!!!

I could watch it 1000 times and still get chills down my spine every time.

DoolittleRaider
01-15-2011, 10:29 PM
How about:

Fish 'n Chips
vs
Wienerschnitzel

A flight simulation game thingee

Richie
01-15-2011, 10:46 PM
"Eagle Day" is very historic but that may be a very one sided tittle for the Luftwaffe. "The Few" is the same but the other way towards the RAF. If the game were nameless try to come up with a universal tittle that suits the RAF & the Luftwaffe perfectly.

philip.ed
01-15-2011, 10:55 PM
As a Brit " Cliffs of Dover " does not resonate at all with the Battle of Britain. You've got to wonder if they did any market research at all.

Things to associate more with BoB

The Few
Their finest hour
We shall never surrender
Achtung spitfuer!
Tally ho
Scramble
Eagle Day
Operation Sealion

etc etc

the whole cliffs of dover thing is for returning servicemen from fighting in Europe, on ships, from the song.

But hey I'm just a Brit, maybe CoD means more to the international community.

Moby

I agree. Cliffs of Dover would suit the later Rhubarb/circus stage of events (1941) where the RAF pilots welcomed the sight of the cliffs after returning from France.
Anyway, It's just a name, and clearly a decision has been made ;)

Richie
01-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Into the Fray
High Summer - High Battle
Masters of the Air
Eagles On The Channel

Names of Art Work

Ernst
01-16-2011, 01:14 AM
Tea drinkers vs Chucrut eaters :grin::twisted:

Richie
01-16-2011, 01:20 AM
Gin VS Schnapps

zakkandrachoff
01-16-2011, 01:29 AM
STORM OF WAR : Operation Sea Lion

or in german

STORM OF WAR : Unternehmen Seelöwe

swiss
01-16-2011, 01:52 AM
STORM OF WAR : Operation Sea Lion

or in german

STORM OF WAR : Unternehmen Seelöwe

Cool, not one sided at all.

lol ;)

heywooood
01-16-2011, 02:39 AM
"a rose by any other name..."

I don't care what they call it really - because I already know about the developer and the project...I'm already sold.

this title - if it is retained - leaves no room for the neophyte to fail to connect Il2 and Maddox Games to the new, updated sim.

Also - anyone who has absolutely no knowledge of the genre of combat flight sims but thinks they might want to begin could google "IL2" and right away they will know that "Cliffs Of Dover" is worthy of purchase. Its the pedigree - you always market that if you can.

proton45
01-16-2011, 02:51 AM
I must be getting old or something...lol

I really dont give a dam what they call the game...I just want to play it. "Cliffs of Dover" is an alright name for a BoB flight combat sim. It certainly doesn't suck...

Blackdog_kt
01-16-2011, 04:53 AM
Don't mind the name, although i would prefer they'd mention IL2 in a way that doesn't make it look like CoD is compatible with the original series.

What i was expecting was "Series Title: Installment subtitle" printed on top of the box with "from the makers of the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series" printed in somewhat smaller letters bellow it.

Remember that us forum regulars here may know all about it and don't get confused, but it's not the same for other people. And before someone says that most gamers don't care enough for flight sims either way, let me clarify that i'm not referring to them but simmers who might not be as much in touch with the SoW/CoD development process or not frequent this forum.

Case in point, there have been posts here from time to time by long time flight sim fans who are taking up the hobby again after a long absence and guess what they usually ask: "can you tell me which version/expansion IL2 stands at today?"

Most of the good titles have been already taken it seems, so i can't really offer criticism on the actual title when we'll probably be forced to use a mash-up of previously used phrases. Someone mentioned finest hour for example, well there has already been a title called their finest hour by Lucasarts (it was the precursor to secret weapons of the luftwaffe).

So, since i can't offer a good, alternative title that sparks up the right connotations and images in our minds, i won't say the title sucks.

What i can easily question however is not making the break from the IL2 series clear enough. Naming it "IL2 sturmovik: whatever" will make most people who are a bit out of touch with the recent developments think that it's one more expansion for the original IL2 and not a brand new series and that, from a purely marketing standpoint, is a bit silly to say the least.

Not Oleg's fault obviously, it's just that you would expect the publisher, the guys who do the marketing, to actually know how to do it properly. Instead they probably sat down around a table with the explicit aim of expending the least amount of thought possible in coming up with a title to show that CoD is a game by the makers of IL2.

-"Hey guys, it's a game by the makers of IL2 and that was a big hit, so let's make this known"
-"You're right, we'll call it IL2 sturmovik: new title"
-"Wow, what an awesome idea! Let's wrap this meeting up and go grab a coffee from Starbucks around the corner"

It's almost like a comedy sketch :grin:

Richie
01-16-2011, 08:11 AM
"The Blitz"

=69.GIAP=TOOZ
01-16-2011, 08:45 AM
COD:
Cliffs of Dover or Call of Duty? :confused:

+1

swiss
01-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Cliffs of Duty

He111
01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Names I prefer;

(1) Oleg Maddox : The Few - OMTF
(2) IL2 Sturmovik : The Few - IL2F
(3) Oleg maddox : Battle for/of Britain - OMBOB
(4) IL2 Sturmovik : Battle for/of Britain - IL2BOB
(5) IL2 Sturmovik : Hitler, First chancellor Of Britain (with a picture of Hitler on the English throne and the Queen sitting at his feet! .. controversial - YES! but great for publicity .. everyone would be talking about it)

He111

Qpassa
01-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Call of Dover

kimosabi
01-16-2011, 12:34 PM
IL-2 Sturmovik: "What's your position, over. Over Dover, over."

JimmyGiro
01-16-2011, 12:49 PM
I.G.W.S.M.

Invasion of the Granny Worrying Sausage Munchers.

It's a film title, don't you know. :grin:

SAFMoby
01-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Andover = old british prop airliner

" hello radar this an andover over Dover on handover over"

Abbeville-Boy
01-16-2011, 01:30 PM
oleg wanted CoD
cash on debut

cha ching :-P

Richie
01-16-2011, 01:31 PM
"Dowding VS The Fat Bone-Head". Who in their right mind orders fighters to fly along side bombers at the same speed. If it was Dowding VS Galland or Molders I think things would have been harder. I can't see how the Germans could have landed on English soil though with the Royal Navy in the channel..there's no way.

robtek
01-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Beside OT, with german air-superiority over the channel there wouldn't be any Royal Navy in the channel, only at the bottom, maybe. :-D

Foo'bar
01-16-2011, 04:50 PM
il-2 sturmovik: "what's your position, over. Over dover, over."

rofl! :d

TeeJay82
01-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Cmon... who cares about what it is called.. its everything else that matters

WTE_Galway
01-16-2011, 11:55 PM
"Dowding VS The Fat Bone-Head". Who in their right mind orders fighters to fly along side bombers at the same speed.

the bomber crews were refusing to fly without closer escort, there was little choice.

major_setback
01-17-2011, 01:51 AM
"a rose by any other name..."

I don't care what they call it really - because I already know about the developer and the project...I'm already sold.

Surely that quote is drawing attention to the importance of the name: (it's beauty in itself being significant); if any onther name was used, it wouldn't be as sweet. Not the opposite.

veter
01-17-2011, 03:30 AM
I think it was "The BOB" during all this time (how many years?) and probably it will be. Cliffs of Dover is also good. Could be a subtitle.

"Let s play BOB all this afternoon" Or "Damn I must buy a new computer for the BOB" sounds more realistic.

baronWastelan
01-17-2011, 06:46 PM
I like BoW WoW WOW

Birds of War
World of Wings
What Oleg Wrought

Tempest123
01-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Speed II: Cruise Control

Might already be taken though...

Biggs [CV]
01-17-2011, 07:28 PM
I don't care if they call it " Dem Silly Brits -VS- Dem Crazy Germans in Aeroplanes." I just wanna fly............

Flying Pencil
01-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I know:

Spits and (Messer)Shmidts!

SlipBall
01-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Storm of War-Battle of Britain was probably considered to be too violent a title...I think a broad mix sales target was considered more likely, having a neutral sounding title.:grin:

Flying Pencil
01-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Storm of War was a name I'd be embarrassed to mention to non-initiates. While Cliffs of Dover does indeed sound rather limp. More like an add-on for the WoP series.

I'd have called it Finest Hour myself. ;)

What about "The Few"? :P

DoolittleRaider
01-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Storm of War-Battle of Britain was probably considered to be too violent a title...I think a broad mix sales target was considered more likely, having a neutral sounding title.:grin:

Uhhh...well....Isn't Combat aviation, aerial warfare supposed to be a bit violent? Have you seen any of the X-rated Carnage spewed out in FPS 'games'???

As to a proper title for SOW:BOB, how about:

"Tea and Crumpets at Four O'Clock"
A proper social engagement gone awry....Pity, ehh what?

furbs
01-17-2011, 11:51 PM
"Their Finest Hour" would of been perfect.

SlipBall
01-17-2011, 11:56 PM

+

Maddox Air Simulation's-Their Finest Hour

catchy:grin:

PeterPanPan
01-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Maybe ...

Battle of Dover, Cliffs of Britain?

Or perhaps an anagram to keep everyone happy ...

Bob Toff Loiters, Ideal Traffic Van?

Yeah, I think that's the one ;)

WTE_Galway
01-18-2011, 12:22 AM

Well that is OK until they release the German and Italian campaigns :D

Then you have a problem.

zapatista
01-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Storm of War-Battle of Britain was properly considered to be too violent a title...I think a broad mix sales target was considered more likely, having a neutral sounding title.:grin:

i suspect it was simply the outcome of a pen pusher management meeting at ubi, because they wanted to
1) use a product name which still has il2-sturmovik in it, for name recognition with new customers ( and ride on the tailcoats of the reputation oleg has build with his previous series)
2) avoid confusion with the already existing battle of Britain product from Rowan

personally i think ubi made (again) a bad marketing decision. the SoW name for the new oleg series is pretty good and has a nice ring to it, and calling the first in the series BoB is pretty self evident (since that is exactly what it is). having that name for a product just after all the media focus on the event anniversary is also a big plus. they could just have added "from the makers of the il2-sturmovik series" to the box art and that would have been enough imho. SoW is also a new product which will have significantly different new features (integrating land, sea and air combat etc), so having the name change after 10 yrs of il2-sturmovik is a logical progression (partic since the new game engine will be expanded by 3e parties).

ILinux2-Sturmovik
01-18-2011, 01:38 AM
They are just scared people might think Sow:Bob is a farming simulator starring Bob, the sow! Cod would then be the fish farm addon

WTE_Galway
01-18-2011, 01:51 AM
They are just scared people might think Sow:Bob is a farming simulator starring Bob, the sow! Cod would then be the fish farm addon

now be serious ...

Bob is a boys name, what sort of pig farmer would name a sow "Bob".

toms781
01-18-2011, 01:53 AM

No question a great title but it's been done.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Their_Finest_Hour_(1989_video_game)
Outstanding game for its time by the way.

winny
01-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Well that is OK until they release the German and Italian campaigns :D

Then you have a problem.

Easy! German is 'IL-2 - Gorings folly', Itallian is 'IL-2 - Operation Surrender'....

Wutz
01-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Easy! German is 'IL-2 - Gorings folly', Itallian is 'IL-2 - Operation Surrender'....

Nope this would be the German Titel:
www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/luft1939/wilhelm_files/bomben-auf-england-2.jpg

:mrgreen:

Trumper
01-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Maybe ubi have had to light a fire under Oleg to get some decisiveness,after all the biggest moan on here is about it's release date.Maybe ubi have had enough as well and now saying enough is enough, time to make a decision.
It may not be a bad thing if Oleg can keep working on patches for the smaller details that aren't critical for the overall running and enjoyment of the game.

rollnloop
01-18-2011, 10:07 AM
personally i think ubi made (again) a bad marketing decision. the SoW name for the new oleg series is pretty good and has a nice ring to it, and calling the first in the series BoB is pretty self evident (since that is exactly what it is). having that name for a product just after all the media focus on the event anniversary is also a big plus. they could just have added "from the makers of the il2-sturmovik series" to the box art and that would have been enough imho. SoW is also a new product which will have significantly different new features (integrating land, sea and air combat etc), so having the name change after 10 yrs of il2-sturmovik is a logical progression (partic since the new game engine will be expanded by 3e parties).

Well said.

Ernst
01-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Storm Of War: Battle Of Britain is much better. This UBI marketing guys only think known something. Hohoho.

Since there is this discussion about name i would suggest a marketing strategy. They should to conceive some possible names (five as example) and put in votation. This a way that veteran IL2 players could interact with the game even before the launch. Hoho...

JG1_Wanderfalke
01-18-2011, 01:34 PM
"Cliffs of Dover" is a wonderfull title !!!!!!

1.JaVA_Sharp
01-18-2011, 02:26 PM
especially for a Vera Lynn song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUx3MU9iM6c

Hecke
01-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Maybe it wasn't Ubisoft's fault with the name change.
They wouldn't have reserved the www.stormofwar.com webiste if they weren't OK with the name.

I found sth...

http://il2sturmovik.ubi.com/cliffs-of-dover/de-DE/