PDA

View Full Version : Cliffs of Dover ?

winny
01-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Has anyone seen this?

Or did I miss this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z469HXN0hlQ&feature=player_embedded#!

JG52Uther
01-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Yes you missed a lot!
This news is now...old news ;)

Wolf_Rider
01-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Gotta be quick, eh? :grin:

http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gbase.de%2FPC%2Fnews% 2FStorm-of-War%253a-Name-%2526-Termin-neu%2F4992%2F47703.html&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

winny
01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Oh well, saw it for the first time today.. :)

swiss
01-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Oh well, saw it for the first time today.. :)

Got some more breaking news:

http://shop.wisconsinhistory.org/productcart/pc/catalog/newswarisover_gen.jpg

;)

=SLO=Hellcat
01-12-2011, 04:43 PM

;)

So that is why there is nobody on hyperlobby. :(

winny
01-12-2011, 05:21 PM

;)

There was a war? Jeez..

kestrel79
01-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Wow great video. I remember seeing that last month or so but watching it again now and it blew me away.

All the naysayers should take note as well and watch that video. People complaining about the graphics, rumored framerate issues...fps look pretty good to me in that video!

I was also impressed with the draw distance near the end of the video, I saw no popup at all over that large city, looked amazing!

Once they get the final sounds in there and hopefully the weather system with all the cool clouds it will be unreal. Thanks for posting this again!

WTE_Galway
01-12-2011, 10:29 PM

;)

Just because the White House announces something doesn't necessarily make it true.

Otherwise you would have a philosophical problem whereby everything the American President said became a "synthetic a priori" truth (as per Kant).

el0375
01-12-2011, 11:48 PM
:cry:all those years waiting now seem to be totally wasted as DRM comes into play.

if its true im LARGELY dissapointed, hope if there is an alternative.
Ubisoft know how to do their jobs: ruining the game experience
in addition why there is no 1c company logo? so that some dunm customer believe that was ubi that made the game and give credit to it?

it seems a dissappointmen by ubi, the eastern version comes in english?without drm? if yes i might preorder

P.s thanks 1c but i think that its not you but but mainly ubi's policy that makes me disappointed

Chivas
01-12-2011, 11:50 PM
:cry:all those years waiting now seem to be totally wasted as DRM comes into play.

if its true im LARGELY dissapointed, hope if there is an alternative.
Ubisoft know how to do their jobs: ruining the game experience

I believe UBI lifted the constant internet connection required for SH. I believe it just connects at startup to verify copy.

ElAurens
01-13-2011, 12:10 AM
You know, I've never once had an issue with any type of DRM, ever.

Never ruined my computer, never had bad guys in some 3rd. world country charging up my credit card, never interfered with my game play one bit.

If it keeps the pirates at bay and let's Oleg make a buck on this I'm all for it.

el0375
01-13-2011, 12:15 AM
I believe UBI lifted the constant internet connection required for SH. I believe it just connects at startup to verify copy.

i saw reports about that on subsim but other report that it changed nothing, i hope at least for offline mode btw. but why should tehy bother as it clearly seen that SH5 is a failure---untill now but modders put a great effort--
If teh changed teh drm from teh first we had to something more acceptable might be considered a step forwards.

I remember that teh last years most of my pc shelf was from UBIsoft titles, from il2 to brothers in arms to silnt hunter 2-3-4-uboat missions- but since DRM i have the settlers and SH5, and i can say that they are in teh shelves with less of 60 hours of total play for SH 5 and about 2 days for teh settlers.
it all gets me to get frustrated from also ubisoft, i am also with ea, do not worry.
1c community and all those around il2, nd the people at subsim really was adn still is my most appreciated community

WTE_Galway
01-13-2011, 12:16 AM

Never ruined my computer, never had bad guys in some 3rd. world country charging up my credit card, never interfered with my game play one bit.

If it keeps the pirates at bay and let's Oleg make a buck on this I'm all for it.

Clearly you never had any of the software installed that is interfered with by DRM schemes like star-force (including legitimate software like nero and itunes).

Or tried to remove a root kit installed by a DRM.

Or owned a game that has a DRM incompatible with Win7 or vista.

Or bought a game that requires you to be online to play when you have no internet.

Basically the pirates will NEVER buy the game anyway. If its not free they do not want it. On the other hand many legitimate users actually HAVE had problems with other DRM schemes and will definitely avoid buying the title if it has a badly thought out fascist DRM.

Chivas
01-13-2011, 12:21 AM

+1

I agree and most people who are against any kind of DRM would sing a different tune if it was their money that was being stolen.

WTE_Galway
01-13-2011, 12:26 AM
+1

I agree and most people who are against any kind of DRM would sing a different tune if it was their money that was being stolen.

meh .. its Oleg that will lose out if UBI does their normal officious badly thought out intrusive DRM that treats legitimate customers like thieves.

The assumption that SoW is soooo wonderful that we will all buy it regardless of DRM is a very risky one.

DRM issues early in the release cycle of a new game can totally kill it.

el0375
01-13-2011, 12:26 AM
+1

from that face of the medalyou are right, however you might know how the majority feels about it. many might say, we are fine with steam drm is way too much, and it has offline.
u might imagine how abgry i am after years waiting in this forums with all bests hopes for all, bt started just last year posting

swiss
01-13-2011, 12:35 AM
It's funny you mention steam - as steam is the only way to keep me 100% from buying it.

Chivas
01-13-2011, 12:48 AM
It's funny you mention steam - as steam is the only way to keep me 100% from buying it.

I don't like steam all that much, and much prefer a hard copy, but had no issues playing Red Orchrestra off-line.

Triggaaar
01-13-2011, 11:50 AM
I don't like steam all that much, and much prefer a hard copyI actually like the ability being able to start any game without needing a disc, and the steam DRM suits me fine. I won't buy a game that requires an always online connection. That rule could be broken for SoW, although I would be tempted to get a pirate copy and paypal oleg the money instead.

Qpassa
01-13-2011, 11:51 AM
My 2 cents..
I dont like IL2 name for the new family of simulators made by Oleg

DoolittleRaider
01-13-2011, 07:16 PM
The internet connectivity with Rise of Flight works quite well. You do NOT have to log in On-Line just to play/fly in off line mode. When patches are released, Yes you have to log on to be automatically (and very conveniently) updated.

Old_Canuck
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
My 2 cents..
I dont like IL2 name for the new family of simulators made by Oleg

They could name it "When sows fly over the Cliffs of Dover" for all I care. Game play and non-intrusive DRM are the key issues IMHO.

Wutz
01-13-2011, 07:49 PM
They could name it "When sows fly over the Cliffs of Dover" for all I care. Game play and non-intrusive DRM are the key issues IMHO.

How about like this:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/paulhewson/z_SOW_SmellOfWomen_IL2.jpg:mrgreen:

F19_Jazarachy
01-13-2011, 11:44 PM
i would buy that game :D

Old_Canuck
01-14-2011, 01:32 AM
i would buy that game :D

Me too! :grin: That guy who bailed out gave me a chuckle. Is he trying to get his girlfriend back? Nice art work, Wutz.

baronWastelan
01-14-2011, 02:06 AM
Cliffs of Dover, because that's as close to London you'll get when FPS go down to a slide show.

:twisted:

Acid
01-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Seems stupid putting il-2 sturmovik on the box, makes it look like an addon to il-2, just leave it as cliffs of dover.

Tacoma74
01-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Yea i agree. I would rather put "By the makers of the famous IL-2 Sturmovik" somewhere on the front of the box... but honestly i don't care. I'm buying it the first day its out, DRM or not i really don't care. And if i have any programs that are incompatible with it than they're getting uninstalled. Cliffs of Dover is much much more important than all that junk. But i really doubt there will be any problems.. so honestly if its such a big deal for some people than don't buy it, but just know that all the rest of us will be in heaven :)

Jaws2002
01-14-2011, 07:45 AM
I sure hope this guys know what they are doing with this name. Cliffs Of Dover.

COD. That can easily get them in a legal crapshoot with Activision that publishes the Call Of Duty series.
Do they really need to take this risk?:rolleyes:

Oleg should make sure he gets in writing that he is not responsible for any legal isues raised by the title of the new game.

Last thing Oleg needs is another legal blunder done by the publisher and thrown into his lap if the chit hits the fan.:rolleyes:

Chivas
01-14-2011, 08:33 AM
I doubt the Cliffs of Dover..IL-2 Sturmovik name will be a problem at all. Nobody cares what the initials will be, and nobody outside the combat flight sim gaming community has any idea what an IL-2 Sturmovik is, but they'll probably recognise the British Spitfire, and White Cliffs of Dover on the box.

Cliffs of Dover will initially sell much better than IL-2 did because many in the community never heard of IL-2 on release. They were busy flying EAW, CFS2,3 etc. Now most of the flight sim community flys IL-2 so theres a real boost. It will be the Spitfire etc. on the box cover that will sell the game to the uninitiated.

JG52Uther
01-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Exactly.

Shado
01-14-2011, 01:54 PM
!S Agreed

proton45
01-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Personally I'm NOT worrying about all this "broo-ha-ha"...in the end, it will all be ok.

Oleg has never let me down yet... ;)

hiro
01-17-2011, 04:03 AM
+1 on the name won't matter, but the quality of the game will be the real deal.

They could call it Merlin vs Daimler Benz, but its just cool Oleg is keeping us updated.

fixed it :grin: :

It will be the Bf-109 etc. on the box cover that will sell the game to the uninitiated.

Wolf_Rider
01-17-2011, 04:40 AM
Merlin v's Diamler Benz... hmmm, conjures up images of a Wizard in battle with The Black Knight.

:grin:

@proton45

+1

WTE_Galway
01-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Merlin v's Diamler Benz... hmmm, conjures up images of a Wizard in battle with The Black Knight.

:grin:

@proton45

+1

In terms of real life sound the DB beats the Merlin hands down. That late model DB whistle and growl is hair raising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYLyrEsTZ60

Wolf_Rider
01-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Humour; yes, I remember that... it was popular at one time :razz:

Feathered_IV
01-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Hopefully there will be a Cliffs of Malta one day

Bobb4
01-17-2011, 11:26 AM
You can call Ubisoft a lot of things but they must have a very big market research division.
They most likely played with about a 100 different names before choosing the one they have.
Even Oleg said he was not happy with SOW. I would however be interested to know what the engine will be called?
You will most likely find that the 'IL2 Surmovik' brand is carried through to the rest of the expansions (DLC) 'IL2 Stormovik Battle for Malta' :grin:

T}{OR
01-17-2011, 12:36 PM
In terms of real life sound the DB beats the Merlin hands down. That late model DB whistle and growl is hair raising.

You're being highly subjective here. ;)

WTE_Galway
01-17-2011, 10:00 PM
You're being highly subjective here. ;)

oh ... absolutely :D

DogTailRed2
06-10-2011, 12:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYLyrEsTZ60

Isn't that a bit like saying a Violin sounds nicer than an Oboe?
BTW I've seen Black 6 and MH434 fly and both or equally as nice.