PDA

View Full Version : Advice on choosing units and Morale bug

Nihilius
12-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Well, im bored of my first walkthough with CW, my game wasnt very good, shops didnt sell worthy things and the only full set i managed to find was the techno-whatever for dwarves wich i used with engineers and droids, a very overpowered combination i must say, i could do lethal enemies with ease with them, but quickly got bored, so i started a new run, kitted my way to shetterra
and by day 2 i was level 14, destroying everything with the dragon eggs i picked up in the islands.

but im not very creative at choosing units, i want something that is very fun to play with.

i usually go, tank, archmages, some reviving units, and a damage dealer, except the droid build wich was enginners, repair droids, guard droids, archmages, and royal snakes.

i want this time go heavy, an army capable of crippling the enemy really fast, im a warrior so, i dont wanna relly much on ranged units though.

i thought about dryads and fairyes, goblins, and orcs, cant make my mind, and i dont have much gold to try different setups.
for tanks, red dragons, trolls or...?
so what would be your recomendation?

and about the morale bug, well it happens to be most annoying, for example at the begining, when you have the portrat of a knight and human units, you equip the portrat but when you change the unit position to another position where a neutral morale troop was, the human morale changes as well to to neutral, and when you put it back to its initial position the morale rises again, but even unequipping it and changing units, and triying to fix it wont work, so , whats up with that?

atlatea
12-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I'd recomend using all same race unit than all archer unit if you prefer for non boring and very challenging unit.

Trust me, i've tried many combinations for many walkthroughs, all ranged or mostly ranged will bore you, same with 3 dragons army, though for 3 dragons army, the boredom comes from their overpoweredness.

Use all same race unit, i mean all humans, or all elves, all goblin, etc.

As for most versatile and non bored, i'd recomend elves or demons.

I've recently finished all elves. It is fun, especially for impossible no loss game, i'm trying to do impossible no loss game 7 days run, but fail at the 7 days goal. Nevertheless, it was the best of all my walkthroughs so far.

As for elves, i use dryads (mass disabler, very strong summon, best in long battles, has good opening), elves, faun (disabler, fear and sleep is nice, can do a combo with dryad sleep, has good opening), ancient ent (main tank and main melee disabler using entangle), paladin in specific situation (usually againts geyser maniac), unicorn (for againts undead and demon), druids (best elven rage gatherer, good summoner, beast/animal disabler).

Nihilius
12-09-2010, 09:55 PM
more advices?

my game didnt had elves in elon LOL
i only found fairyes and dryads
so my current army is both fairyes, paladins, archmages and goblins(jesus they overkill)
i need another army config for bosses and for enemy heroes (like hagni) any ideas?

and any info on the bug?

atlatea
12-10-2010, 02:35 AM
Don't try all goblins, too easy, as they're overpowered in CW because of adrenaline system.

Also don't try all undead, it's same as all goblin, though they won't destryoy all opposition as fast as all goblins, they're very safe and easiest to resurrect (with eviln spell).

All orcs are fine though. Well, the rest are fine too, and the hardest is all demons.

And by the way, you must bring paladins againts heroes and bosses.

You can use all humans againts hagni and most bosses. Most of them have good physical resistance, but they won't cripple enemies as fast as all elves. Keep stone skining againts her geyser, also use time back and phantom to your paladin whenever necessary.

As with all elves, your best friend is target, mass haste, stone skin and divine armor especially againts bosses and heroes. Ancient ent seems one of the most damaging lv 5.

I don't have any words to say about all dwarf, all lizard, all orc, all demon because i haven't tried them personally. Though i have feeling that all lizard seems as fun and good as all elves.

And as for the bug, yeah i experience the same thing, not only with that portrait item but paladin skill (persuasion) sometimes has the same bug as the one you mentioned.

Nihilius
12-10-2010, 03:36 AM
Ill try ancient ents and see how they behave in battles, since i didnt find any elves nor hunters in the islands yet, ill try an all human config vs hagni,or at least many lvl 5... i tried to storm the castle at level i think 17 and she totally destroyed me with the geyser, mostly because my damage dealers were lvl 2 and they fell really quick. i might try the droid config just to beat her, but the geyser is still a pain in the ass, cant even summon mystic egg because she always target it with magic.

Dont know, need to elaborate something.

as for all undead army, i once tried it, it was fun, necromancers was dealing most damage with the bone dragos behind, but the fact that i had to resurrect everyone with evlin made it hard to go a no loss gameplay.

I tried all demons too, a lot of fun, but the most hard to revive, you cant heal with normal means unless you mix another races in there, so keeping an all demons army is quite challenging indeed.

Also, any recommendation in dealing with keepers?

atlatea
12-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I think lv 17 is too low to tackle hagni. Ideal lv is about 25 or 30.

Yet undead have units that can't be retaliated, have target spell, and your problem are solved, except perhaps gaints geyser maniac or dragons team.

You still need paladin even if you go orcs, elves, etc. The only exception is all demon and undead.

By keepers do you mean keeper of the eventus tower or arfifact keeper or other keeper?

If it is keeper of the eventus tower, then you can't have all race army (all humans, all elves, etc), because you can only bring one of your troop, you must choose the rest from the random troop inside the tower.

As for the guide to this tower, just search the thread in this forum. Though i personally recomend black dragons for all floors except the unit copy floor.

rollems
12-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Though i personally recomend black dragons for all floors except the unit copy floor.

What you recommend for unit copy floor ????

Elwin
12-10-2010, 08:57 PM
i did with thorns, so they are fragile like hell .. fire rain fire rain .. finished bedfore they moved :D

ckdamascus
12-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Peasants.

I remembered trying to do it with a solo stack of trolls... peasants are a little easier.

atlatea
12-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Just like what ckdamascus and Elwin said, generally use a very slow non shooting fragile unit, well, in fact it slightly depends on the random unit you can buy in that floor.

Nihilius
12-15-2010, 07:33 PM
i meant the keepers of items, but ill use those advices aswell on the tower :D

been busy with the job and other duties, but i finally managed to defeat hagni at level 27 ugh, i did it with the following army :
red dragons, archmages, paladins, horsemen, and rune mages

i was dissapointed at the red dragonds performance, very poor, horsemen excelled in the battle, excellent defense and damage output with the proper buffs, and rune mages illusion troops keept hagni spells busy, paladins in the end resurrected everyone except 2 dragons and 2 rune mages that died, not much of a loss considering that hagni army was still overwhelming.

now im thinking to build an undead army again, unfortunately i dont have relevant undead items on my game, such a shame, in fact, in therms of items my game was...well not good.

anyway, im most happy with horsemen, but i want something new, im using a black dragons troops, but i want to replace it, i was thinking on cyclops but i need a unit that does post damage.

also, what are the items requiered to make the velt of victor and gloves of the destroyer? and what are they stats? i just see a bunch of items that say "part of the..." and all that

Autoclave
12-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Even though there are some very good undead artifacts, you might as well do well with some of them that you will always get from doing quests.
Dark Mistikus gives you a very nice weapon that reduces leadership reqs for undead.

BB Shockwave
12-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Good trick against Hagni - use Royal Griffins, and summon Heavenly Guardians ASAP. Hagni LOVES to cast Hypnotize on them, if your army has no other level 1-3 unit with low leadership... which of course, dissipates. She will usually cast Hypnotize every 2. round, saving you a lot of grief (or should I say, Griff...)

All Lizardmen army is great too. Get to Reha as soon as possible - you can sometimes find some of them on Shettara too. Pick the Lizardry Diploma (+5 Attack, +10% crit for Tirex) up on Elon at the Academy, and dig up the Singing Dagger at Reha (you can do it without getting the quest - +5 Attack, +15% damage to all Lizardmen). These two are always available in the game. Lizardmen, almost all of them have the ability "rugged scales" meaning they are resistant to ranged physical attacks, poison, have a small overall physical resistance and a small weakness to fire. Boost their physical resistance with items and the medal Guardian Angel.

Gorguls will be your main damage dealers - cast haste to get them into the fray fast, and target weak units and try to damage units standing behind them. If you kill them, you 50% likely get another chance to act.

Use Tirexes for meat shield, and first round, use up their Roar to stun the enemies - if they have more leadership then you, try to weaken them first with spells. Tirexes eat corpses (except undead) so they are excellent to stop enemies from resurrecting/spawning things from these, also they heal this way. Try to park them near tough enemies to lower their defense. They also increase troop morale, which is also +1 if all your troops are Lizardmen.

Gorguanas work best in tandem with Gorguls. Use Mark of Blood on tough units and then watch them drop like flies. Best effect is using Ball Lightning on an unit with Mark of Blood. Ktahu's Whisper is also excellent when your Gorguls are surrounded, just watch out, it damages your own troops too. Otherwise, they also provide ranged support - pick off weak enemies you can kill with one shot to 50% likely get another round. :)

Hayterrants are your shock troops and fodder creators. Always attack different enemies who are far away from your pteranodons, to ensure a critical hit. Eggs are tough themselves, unlike the eggs you get from using the Pet Dragon's skill - you can use them to block archers or attract enemies. And, he best thing - the new Hayterrants hatched can also lay new eggs... and so on, and so on.

I used Brontors for 5th troop - they are versatile units, depending on the enemy you face, you can use them as charging battering rams or support archers. You should get Tactics to use them to their best, and they are not that great in arenas with lot of cover and debris, or some suppression battles - however, they can take out a Gremlin Tower with ease when charging from the other end of the Arena. Haste or Adrenaline really improves them. They are also great to cast Target on, as they are very tough, and always retaliate with their special ability.

I found Chosa not that usefull - they cannot move, and enemies rarely attack them, so they can only do anything usefull every 2. round. The Gobots spawned are good fodder, but usually not in large enough numbers to matter.

ckdamascus
12-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Good trick against Hagni - use Royal Griffins, and summon Heavenly Guardians ASAP. Hagni LOVES to cast Hypnotize on them, if your army has no other level 1-3 unit with low leadership... which of course, dissipates. She will usually cast Hypnotize every 2. round, saving you a lot of grief (or should I say, Griff...)

Holy cow. This is a great AI tip! Thanks!

Ugh, I wonder now if I could have taken out Hagni much earlier for a faster run... (pegasus means much faster times!)

BB Shockwave
12-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Hmm, maybe you could even further develop this tactic and bring Witch Hunters, who cannot be hypnotized either. In Gremlin Tower battles those guys are incredibly usefull - the towers will keep casting all sorts of negative spells on them, which of course disappear.

ckdamascus
12-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Hmm, maybe you could even further develop this tactic and bring Witch Hunters, who cannot be hypnotized either. In Gremlin Tower battles those guys are incredibly usefull - the towers will keep casting all sorts of negative spells on them, which of course disappear.

Well, I can always dictate when I want to fight the Gremlin towers. For a semi-fast run with no bouncing around, it means I sort of have to fight Hagni prematurely.

I can rip Hagni a new one now, but alas, still have to kill Ktahu on Reha, Nameless, and possibly Sheterra.

For Gremlin towers, as a mage, I usually solo blacks, or Black/Red/RuneMage, in which case the towers aren't a real threat... or if they are, they aren't for very long. Mwhahaa. :)