PDA

View Full Version : KB: Crossworlds DVD release date?

rickah88
11-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Has there been any more information concerning a hard copy release of Crossworlds? Last I heard it was the 1Q of 2011. Has a firm date, for the US release, been established yet?

ckdamascus
11-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Has there been any more information concerning a hard copy release of Crossworlds? Last I heard it was the 1Q of 2011. Has a firm date, for the US release, been established yet?

I would be really interested in this too!

I only see the "asian" or "european" release, which worries me, since I don't know how legitimate those copies are.

That said, I suppose it would be nice to have a DVD version which included the upcoming patch. :)

BB Shockwave
11-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm waiting for the Platinum Version, which I hear will include all three games. :)

ckdamascus
11-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm waiting for the Platinum Version, which I hear will include all three games. :)

Oooh yeah! Yeah, I think I would rather wait for that one too!

onepiece
11-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Does it come with a great big size poster? (Of the mage blue dressed Amelie?) http://www.kings-bounty.com/eng/img/wp/KB_princess05_1280.jpg but with a cooler background XD

Dwagginz
11-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Does it come with a great big size poster? (Of the mage blue dressed Amelie?) http://www.kings-bounty.com/eng/img/wp/KB_princess05_1280.jpg but with a cooler background XD
Do want.

Do want so much :p

rickah88
11-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Hello Nike-it
Hello Megakill
Hello Anyone at 1C(or, in the know)

Why is it, with every KB release, like pulling teeth to get any information concerning a hard copy release?
I can only hope that 1C is bought out by nice homegrown American company, so we, in the US, won't have to wait forever for a hard copy release.
So, can we get a date?

Nike-it
11-16-2010, 02:18 PM
The date is not decided yet, we'll mediately inform you when the official release date is announced.

Dwagginz
11-16-2010, 03:58 PM
I can only hope that 1C is bought out by nice homegrown American company, so we, in the US, won't have to wait forever for a hard copy release.
Now, now, don't be selfish. From what I've heard from other publishers and in various chit-chat on other forums, the US market is harder to get into.

That's why you should import UK copies! :D

rickah88
11-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Now, now, don't be selfish. From what I've heard from other publishers and in various chit-chat on other forums, the US market is harder to get into.

That's why you should import UK copies! :D

Not selfish at all, just happen to live in the US and am waiting for a hard copy release.
Also, I did order the UK version of KB:AP, but Crossworlds is not available there either. I'm just trying to get a release date for Crossworlds, which for these board moderators is always a tough question for them to answer!
I never have to worry about hard copy releases from US companies as they are always available.

Note how this question will go unanswered for the site OPs!

Csimbi
11-17-2010, 08:30 PM

Me, too, but I will buy it only on disk - yes, I am one of those guys who likes having it on the shelves and will never buy software using online distribution...

The date is not decided yet, we'll mediately inform you when the official release date is announced.

Well, I've been waiting for the platinum edition for a long time now (over a year), so I guess I can wait another month or two - I guess the release should happen before Christmas shopping spree to maximize profits...

rickah88
11-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Me, too, but I will buy it only on disk - yes, I am one of those guys who likes having it on the shelves and will never buy software using online distribution...

I'm sure a few years down the road digitial downloading will fully take over, but for now it hasn't. I understand it costs money to package games up, ship, etc...but that is still your bigger market. To place that market on the backburner is not good business sense.

Well, I've been waiting for the platinum edition for a long time now (over a year), so I guess I can wait another month or two - I guess the release should happen before Christmas shopping spree to maximize profits...

At best the Platinum edition would be out Q1 of 2011. I haven't seen a sniff for even a pre-order on Amazon or Amazon UK. So my guess is somewhere around March/April/May...but with 1C always dragging their A$$, it's hard to tell. They're all "gung-ho" for the digital release(for all the fanboys that want to dissect the game to it's core) then basically remain null on a physical release(as note by Nike-it's non-informative comment).

Dwagginz
11-20-2010, 08:45 PM
At best the Platinum edition would be out Q1 of 2011. I haven't seen a sniff for even a pre-order on Amazon or Amazon UK. So my guess is somewhere around March/April/May...but with 1C always dragging their A$$, it's hard to tell. They're all "gung-ho" for the digital release(for all the fanboys that want to dissect the game to it's core) then basically remain null on a physical release(as note by Nike-it's non-informative comment).
1C, judging by many of their other releases in the UK, have to find a distribution partner for their games. King's Bounty: The Legend, for example, was with Nobilis (I believe it moved to Focus after some time), Armored Princess was with Focus and so forth. Luckily (I suppose) for them, there's a few in the UK such as Focus and Mastertronic who seem to fill that role, but I *think* it's not really the case in the US.

BB Shockwave
11-20-2010, 10:47 PM

Agreed, me too - I don't like Steam downloads. More so because I have been reading articles that not-factory burned DVDs have an estimated 10 or so years lifetime only... due to the organic paint material inside detoriating due to heat and humidity. So I'd rather have the original. I don't really often buy games, only the ones I REALLY like, and King's Bounty is high on that list. :) This year, I have only bought Dragon Age and War for Cybertron.

Csimbi
11-21-2010, 01:16 PM
not-factory burned DVDs
I think only "non-factory DVDs" are burnt. (hence the short lifetime). These are the ones that you burn yourself, or, buy with games/movies on the street for 1€, and hide it under the desk and throw away after 4-5 years or so.
"Factory DVDs" on the other hand are pressed (hence the long lifetime). These are the ones that you can proudly put on your shelf and admire for 50 years.

BB Shockwave
11-22-2010, 05:16 PM
I dunno, I have some DVDs I burned (like, with important documents, etc...) that still work well after 7 or so years even. I think it matters how you store them.

Yes, pressed DVDs last for life, plus well, the boxes look better. I hope KB Platinum will come in a larger, cardboard box, not in the small plastic cases most games are sold these days. I liked the old, large boxes. Have both of my Baldur's Gate games (collector's editions) that way, as well as all the Might and Magic games.

Csimbi
11-22-2010, 07:05 PM
I think it matters how you store them.
Yes, very much. If I remember correctly, oxygen and sunlight are the most important factors.

I hope KB Platinum will come in a larger, cardboard box, not in the small plastic cases most games are sold these days.
I purchased the collector's edition - great artwork on that one. I would not expect anything less on a platinum edition.
Have both of my Baldur's Gate games (collector's editions) that way, as well as all the Might and Magic games.
Ditto. Plus other great titles.

rickah88
12-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Nike-it/Megakill,

As we are almost in 2011, any new updates concerning a DVD release?

rickah88
01-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Nike-it/Megakill,

As we are in 2011, any new updates concerning a DVD release?

OGKingsBounty92
02-25-2011, 08:48 PM

I bought it off Gamer's Gate because I wanted to try a download..NEVER again. You only get so many activation keys and now I have to call them for more after 2 keys. I reformat at least once a year, usually twice a year.

No other problems with the package (no crashes or anything) but I don't like anyone having any control over the things I own or telling me how to use them..BS. I also like having the box and would like a little KB collection going. :grin: If it comes out on DVD I'll buy it again, especially a Platinum version.

Jah
02-28-2011, 07:48 AM
I bought it off Gamer's Gate because I wanted to try a download..NEVER again. You only get so many activation keys and now I have to call them for more after 2 keys.

You do know that physical DVD versions can, and these days often do, have activation limits just like digital downloads?

rickah88
03-05-2011, 05:23 PM
You do know that physical DVD versions can, and these days often do, have activation limits just like digital downloads?

I've never heard of activation limits on a store bought CD/DVD/BD. Care to name a few?

Jah
03-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Bioshock, Mass Effect and Spore, for example.

rickah88
03-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Bioshock, Mass Effect and Spore, for example.

Don't have any of those, so it's of no concern to me. Furthermore, activation limits aren't that big of a deal as I have one PC that I use for all gaming. One pc = one install.
But this conversation is kind of moot as 1C, historically, drags their A$$ when releasing KB games on physical media.

Jah
03-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Don't have any of those, so it's of no concern to me.

My point was that it has already been done in the past and may be done with other games in the future, which could potentially include KB:CW. In which case it would be of concern to you, no?

What I'm saying is, don't automatically assume that physical DVD copy = no activation limits.

Xuio
03-14-2011, 01:16 PM
What I'm saying is, don't automatically assume that physical DVD copy = no activation limits.

Precisely - retail version was published by Focus M. in UK:

http://www.focusmm.co.uk/shop/King-s-Bounty-Crossworlds-Game-of-the-Year-Edition-pr-1752.html

System Requirements
PC Operating System: Windows® XP / Vista / Windows® 7
PC CPU Type and Speed: Pentium® or equivalent, 2.6GHz or faster
Hard Drive Space (MB): 5.5GB
Memory: 1GB (2GB recommended)
Graphics: Nvidia® Geforce™ 6800/ATI® X1650™ or higher
Audio: Any DirectX® compatible sound card
Internet: Required for activation, updates and downloads

So, no buy for me :(

Jah
03-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Internet: Required for activation, updates and downloads

Almost every game these days requires activation through the Internet. The real question is whether there are limitations to the number of times you can activate the game without having to contact the publisher, and if there is, does the system allow installations to be de-activated in case you want to play on a different computer.

rickah88
03-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Again, I only play on ONE computer. So activation limits are of no concern to me!
I just want a physical copy with: case, artwork, booklet, etc. My whole point of starting this thread was to (hopefully) impress upon 1c that there are gamers that enjoy having the actual media in their posession.
No big deal, if they want to drag their a$$ on a physical release...I've got Heroes 6, Diablo 3, and Dungeon Siege 3 on the immediate horizon.

Nike-it
03-17-2011, 11:40 AM
rickah88 where do you live? I'll try to find the release date for your territory.

rickah88
03-18-2011, 01:41 AM
rickah88 where do you live? I'll try to find the release date for your territory.

In live in the US. I appreciate you answering my question, even if it took the length of AP and now CW. As I did with AP, I ordered CW of Amazon UK as they get it much earlier than Amazon in the States.
I understand downloading saves a good deal off operating costs, but even if you made an initial print run ½ the size(or less) of what digital sales do, I'm sure you'll find a market.
Most likely, 2 things would occur:
1) You'd sell through, and then have the option of another press run
2) You didn't sell all the way, and that would give you a good idea quantity-wise for KB2 ;-)
Heck, I'm sure people that are big fans of the game and have already downloaded would splurge for a hard copy.
Just food for thought. Again, thank you for looking into the matter for me.

Jah
03-18-2011, 06:42 AM
Again, I only play on ONE computer. So activation limits are of no concern to me!

Ok, I thought activation limits were the reason you didn't want to buy the game in digital format.

Even if you only have one computer, you probably won't be using the same one forever, which might be worth considering with games you expect to be playing for a long time. I know I've got some old games I've installed multiple times over the years on several different computers, and would have been really screwed if they had installation/activation limits.

OGKingsBounty92
05-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Ok, I thought activation limits were the reason you didn't want to buy the game in digital format.

Even if you only have one computer, you probably won't be using the same one forever, which might be worth considering with games you expect to be playing for a long time. I know I've got some old games I've installed multiple times over the years on several different computers, and would have been really screwed if they had installation/activation limits.

EXACTLY! I have no choice but to do multiple reformats and reinstalls during a year because, I've already said this, my DAW programs for recording music. Some of us own custom PCs and self built PCs with our full retail versions of windows and we like doing clean installs a couple times a year. It's why you won't hear me post "mY pCs crASHED HElps" or "vIRUz kILleds mY Pcz". Besides we paid for it..if we want to throw it out the window or flush it down the toilet after we bought it and reinstall 100 times in a week (some of us that overclock do sometimes)..we CAN. I live in a free country I don't know about the rest. :-x

Csimbi
05-03-2011, 11:24 PM
A few more reasons to have a boxed version (not just this game, but all).
1. I have moved to Canada recently.
It is a third world country when it comes to several things, internet is included.
I would never have thought that there is a dark corner on this planet where metered internet still exists. Well, it does exist. You have a monthly limit and you face additional charges. Therefore, Steam and any of these online sites should offer serious discounts for Canadian residents to compensate for their loss.
2. I just participated a course (no title necessary). It has been emphasized that stuffing you personal space with items that represent your hobbies is important. Why? These items define who you are. You can find friends a lot more easier. How? When someone visits your cubicle, it leaves an imprint in them - without saying a word -, and creates room for discussion. They are more likely to engage in conversation with "the guy who likes King's Bounty" than with "the guy from the empty cubicle". Some of you will laugh, but then I would encourage you to read up on workplace psychology...
3. I want to have the game with me, because I travel. For each trip I get a loaner laptop. How many activation would I need to purchase in a year - and how would I activate on an airplane between say, Toronto and Hong Kong (which is about 16 hours flight time)?

The only online service I buy games from is GOG (Good Old Games). I purchased every game I own in disk as well (plus a few more), simply because I can download these in the office (thus avoid the metered internet charges), put the download onto a USB drive, and take it with me on my trips. The games I could not buy from GOG I copied to the HDD from the disk and downloaded No-CD cracks so I can play them without the disk. Does that make me an pirate? I don't care either way; you can label me any way you like because I am playing a the game I did actually pay for.

There are a bunch of games I wanted to buy and play, but I ended up only playing them (from which the publisher does not see a dime). Sure, I have to pay for bus tickets (2.4$ in each direction) to get to my friend to play, but in the end, I did not pay for the game. Does that make me a pirate? I don't care either way; you can label me any way you like because I am playing a the game my friend paid for.

Which model is better for the publisher? Not my call to decide, but the logic would dictate it's the one yields more income.
Which model is better for the customer? The one that works.
If I cannot get the games on disk, I will get them some other way. The only thing I miss is the smell of the book, the touch of the box and paint, and the proud you feel when someone walks by and asks: "Is that a ... on your shelf?"

Since the trend is the see less and less games on disk, I am guessing that the production cost of the internet-based game sales is so small, that it yields a lot of profit per units sold - including gamers who play their friend's games, pirates with all their sales - more profits than the disk-based products.

End of story.

Jah
05-04-2011, 07:41 AM
2. I just participated a course (no title necessary). It has been emphasized that stuffing you personal space with items that represent your hobbies is important. Why? These items define who you are. You can find friends a lot more easier. How? When someone visits your cubicle, it leaves an imprint in them - without saying a word -, and creates room for discussion. They are more likely to engage in conversation with "the guy who likes King's Bounty" than with "the guy from the empty cubicle". Some of you will laugh, but then I would encourage you to read up on workplace psychology...

I suppose it depends on what you do for a living, but I'm not sure how thrilled my boss would be if I had video game boxes lying around my office. Kind of suggests you're spending your time playing games rather than working. ;)

3. I want to have the game with me, because I travel. For each trip I get a loaner laptop. How many activation would I need to purchase in a year - and how would I activate on an airplane between say, Toronto and Hong Kong (which is about 16 hours flight time)?

Why would you need to activate the game during a flight? Normally, you only activate a game once after you've installed it, which you would have done beforehand. If the game requires an Internet connection even for single player, you won't be able to play it on an airplane anyway, whether you bought it digitally or on a disc.

Since the trend is the see less and less games on disk, I am guessing that the production cost of the internet-based game sales is so small, that it yields a lot of profit per units sold - including gamers who play their friend's games, pirates with all their sales - more profits than the disk-based products.

I think that's more or less a given: Digital distribution eliminates the costs of duplicating discs, printing manuals, packaging and shipping, and in some cases allows the publisher to sell the game to customers directly without middlemen (i.e. retailers) who take their share of the profits and raise the price. I would also argue that for the customer, it facilitates the purchase when you see a potentially interesting game on a website that you can order with a few clicks and start playing as soon as the download finishes, as opposed to having to leave your house and physically travel to a store to get a physical copy, or ordering online and having to wait for days or weeks for a delivery by mail.

Another thing is that since digital downloads don't take up physical space, online stores can keep them available much longer. Except for the biggest hit games, retail stores only keep boxed copies on the shelf for a few months at most. If you don't get a boxed copy when the game is new, ordering one online from Amazon or somesuch is pretty much your only hope, and even then, you might have to settle for a second-hand copy.

I can understand why some people still prefer physical copies of games, but the general trend is definitely towards digital distribution, especially with niche games that aren't going to sell millions anyway.

Csimbi
05-05-2011, 12:23 AM
I suppose it depends on what you do for a living, but I'm not sure how thrilled my boss would be if I had video game boxes lying around my office. Kind of suggests you're spending your time playing games rather than working. ;)
Having pictures of your children on your desk does not mean that you take your kids to the workplace, does it?

Why would you need to activate the game during a flight?
Because I pick up the loaner laptop pretty much a few hours before the flight (no time to do it on land).

I think that's more or less a given
Yes, but it does not mean that it's the right thing to do.

Jah
05-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Having pictures of your children on your desk does not mean that you take your kids to the workplace, does it?

Except you weren't talking about pictures of video games, but the actual games themselves.

Yes, but it does not mean that it's the right thing to do.

From a company's point of view, the right thing to do is whatever gives them the most profit. Like it or not, that's the way business works, which is why I see no reason to believe the current trend is going to change.

Csimbi
05-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Except you weren't talking about pictures of video games, but the actual games themselves.
I was talking about the box - which is not the game.

From a company's point of view, the right thing to do is whatever gives them the most profit. Like it or not, that's the way business works, which is why I see no reason to believe the current trend is going to change.
Yes, income is important - but only for the corporations.
People on the other hand will do what they believe is right and always find a way. Plus, law is what the majority of the community agrees to.
Look at Sweden for example. They believe unrestricted access to information, art, culture is vital to the benefit of the community and therefore they do not give a damn about copyright. Where are they? Only one of the top countries not only in the EU, but the world.
Look at the USA. They believe the dollar's more important than education, freedom and people.Where are they? Sinking into oblivion - with the next civil war just outside the door.

Jah
05-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Yes, income is important - but only for the corporations.

And games, unfortunately, are made mostly by corporations.

Minimizing costs by eliminating the expenses of packaging, disc duplication, shipping etc. isn't just a question of greed, however. Digital distribution is what allows many small, indie developers to stay in business by letting them sell their products directly to the gamers without the involvement of a commercial publisher. I shudder to think what the gaming market would look like if we were at the mercy of major publishers like EA, Activision or Eidos, i.e. the players with enough financial muscle to effectively distribute physical retail copies worldwide. If that were the case, we'd probably have little to choose from except shooters, racing sims, light RTS' and maybe some JRPG's.

Csimbi
05-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Minimizing costs by eliminating the expenses of packaging, disc duplication, shipping etc. isn't just a question of greed, however. Digital distribution is what allows many small, indie developers to stay in business by letting them sell their products directly to the gamers without the involvement of a commercial publisher.
Excuse the expression, but I call BS on this one.
Ever wondered how games/apps were distributed earlier? Think 80s, 90s here. Remember floppies? Remember that people did that for fun?

Regarding the rest of your points. It does not matter if it's efficiency, greed, whatever. Some people will want their disk and the box in their hands, and be able to do whatever they wish with it. Install on two PCs, play on and airplane, hang it in their car/office, trade it for another game, sell it, flush it down the toilet, etc. I am one of those, and there is nothing in this world that would convince me otherwise.
I was bringing up addition points to indicate more reasons to have a traditional boxed release because I am not buying into this online distribution rubbish. My message was to 1C, not to you or any other user here and as such, it is not up for debate. You got your online rubbish, I am asking for my boxed rubbish. That's all, leave it at that, find another thread that you can demerit.

Jah
05-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Excuse the expression, but I call BS on this one.
Ever wondered how games/apps were distributed earlier? Think 80s, 90s here. Remember floppies? Remember that people did that for fun?

So you're trying to say that distributing floppies by mail and advertising by word of mouth offers the same business potential as digital online distribution? My turn to call BS.

And just in case it wasn't obvious, by indie developers I mean people who are actually able to make a living out of making software without the need to work for a major corporation, not some guy sitting alone in his basement coding stuff in his free time as a hobby.

My message was to 1C, not to you or any other user here and as such, it is not up for debate. You got your online rubbish, I am asking for my boxed rubbish. That's all, leave it at that, find another thread that you can demerit.

Oh, pardon me for thinking that a post on a discussion board was open for discussion. If you have nothing to say to anyone but 1C, why don't you send one of them a PM instead of spamming a public board?