PDA

View Full Version : New player - lots of stuff to learn

Gribs
11-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Hi all, I just bought KB + expansions today after playing the demo a while last night. So here is my first silly question (searched and couldn't find an answer). It has to do with my first (!) training quest where you have to save the "princess". I tried this quest once and killed the dragon but it killed a whole mess of my troops. So I thought perhaps I should rethink the process and decided I would try a second time. I realized as I ran in that I could run away from the dragon, grab the "princess" and leave without a fight. Is this the "right" way to do the quest or am I missing some experience. Richard says something about having to run away from the dragon so I get the impression it was intended that I run away rather than get half of my army fried.

Thanks! I am hoping this game will hold my interest for a while. I tend to get into games and play for a long time or drop them after about two days. This one appears to be a long time player :)

MaroonMaurader
11-07-2010, 10:12 PM
You can kill it if you want; it's worth a whole 20 experience or so. Any troops you lose will get replaced when you finish the training area, so don't let fear of losses stop you.

If you're trying to play through the game without losses, then I'd advise just avoiding it, which is a perfectly good strategy.

In general, you'll probably be a lot happier with your play-through if you aren't afraid to acknowledge when an enemy is just better than you, run away, and come back later with more experience. In particular, there's a few stacks you'll bump into in the first full map which are way too strong for a level-1 hero to even hope to fight. I think that Emerald Dragon (and a few others in the training quests) are the only ones that are "gone-forever" if you choose not to fight them at the time.

Gribs
11-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Ah, okay. I played all yesterday evening. So far the game is definitely seeming like a "occupies a lot of my time" sorta game which is a good thing as I wanted something to get into.

I am pretty amazed at all the posts here about zero casualty wins. I guess that you have to really learn how to optimize to do that. I don't know how you would do that - peasants are so fragile you know ;)

yaang
01-12-2011, 07:56 AM
Well if you can't resurrect them somehow them i'd suggest not putting them in your army. In the early game when you have no way of getting your dead troops back the best strategy is to form your army from the highest HP creatures you can find or creatures that can summon.