PDA

View Full Version : Can I play the Beta in Single Player?

Mack the Knife
11-03-2010, 10:38 PM
these are shega's words in the Sticky announcing the open beta:

"Players will be able to try out the new skirmish game mode"

and here's my question/concern:

isn't skirmish the single player component? if it is, i just downloaded the beta and skirmish is not a selectable option, only Multiplayer.
i don't play multiplayer, can i play this game in single player mode? if so, how and if not, why not??

can anyone clarify this for me? thanks

MasacruAlex
11-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Well simple, it's forbidden to play it alone, single player because it's a beta. Else everyone would download it and play Single player not caring about bugs and all that.

This way you play it online with real people, more chances for people to report bugs etc.

That's just what I think :P Uhh and also when the game comes out, you won't be able to play this beta version anymore, therefore having the skrimish on SINGLE disabled will be a guarantee that people don't keep playing it.

Mack the Knife
11-03-2010, 10:55 PM
thanks for getting back to me MasacruAlex but you're implying that beta's for games are exclusively done in multiplayer? i'm not sure but i don't think so. i've been on lots of forums for other games and it's beta-ed in single player and you email in your bug reports. you sign up and if you don't provide feedback on a regular basis you're axed. anyway, what you say makes sense and may, in fact, be the reason. sucks though...

KageToraUK
11-05-2010, 04:22 AM
thanks for getting back to me MasacruAlex but you're implying that beta's for games are exclusively done in multiplayer? i'm not sure but i don't think so. i've been on lots of forums for other games and it's beta-ed in single player and you email in your bug reports. you sign up and if you don't provide feedback on a regular basis you're axed. anyway, what you say makes sense and may, in fact, be the reason. sucks though...

One of the gamemodes in multiplayer is called 'skirimish', and you are able to play against the AI, either on your own or in co-op with someone else. There are only two maps (and hence, two scenarios), but I would expect there will be more when the full game comes out.

Hope this cleared things up for you.

MasacruAlex
11-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Ah you're right, I know what you mean, guess i was wrong :D

katzenkrimis
11-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Pretty good game. I'll probably purchase it because of the added skirmish option. The one thing I hated about this game is the fact that they force you to play multiplayer. Not a good way to practice. With everyone telling you off because you're new.

But I do feel like this game is more of the same. The pathfinding issues are still very bad. It's imperative that you improve this.

We call in units and they'll frequently get caught standing around somewhere on the map. Or get stuck. Lodged between two objects. And squad movements are still goofy. The way they backtrack upon moving forward.

Also, if you guys are so concerned about making your game for competative multiplayer, then replays are paramount.

Otherwise. Thanks for the beta. It's a decent game.

SpeedWolf
11-05-2010, 04:10 PM
if you want more skirmish mode you will have to be a exclusive tester.

here is a screenshot of what a exclusive tester have.
http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/3083/mowassaultsquad20101105.png

Korsakov829
11-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Honestly, I'll have to see after a official demo. It just seems to be another mod.

SpeedWolf
11-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Honestly, I'll have to see after a official demo. It just seems to be another mod.

I agree' for me their is nothing special in Assault Squad but that is just me. but of course i will buy it when is come out but i don't think i will play it in the long run.

but i cannot judge because is just a beta. who knows i may love it when i play the full version of the game. as for the assault squad beta i just don't like it.

Mack the Knife
11-06-2010, 01:50 AM
@KageToraUK

One of the gamemodes in multiplayer is called 'skirimish', and you are able to play against the AI, either on your own

as i mentioned, Skirmish is on the main menu but not selectable, grayed out. only Multiplayer is selectable. are you saying select Multiplayer, then select the gamemode 'skirmish'?

KageToraUK
11-06-2010, 03:58 AM
@KageToraUK

as i mentioned, Skirmish is on the main menu but not selectable, grayed out. only Multiplayer is selectable. are you saying select Multiplayer, then select the gamemode 'skirmish'?

That's exactly it. Select multiplayer, make a game room, choose your mode (skirmish in this case) and map, and away you go.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sorJwIVDoXc

This is not my video. If you look on YouTube you will find many videos of the Skirmish mode in multiplayer.

Mack the Knife
11-06-2010, 03:23 PM
got it! playing now, thanks much for the tip KageToraUK!

Mack the Knife
11-07-2010, 01:48 AM
you guys seem to be putting up with my stupid questions so let me ask another. i've played MoW and am currently playing/finishing red tide (civ V interrupted me). i was able to try assault squad (thanks to KageToraUK) using the skirmish mode in multiplayer. I AM NOT a multiplayer player. the single player component in the final game is skirmish, you guys think it will be the same gameplay as i'm seeing in the multiplayer skirmish mode? i mean, it sucks! a hail of bullets from the bad guys surrounding a flag while i return that hail of bullets trying to get it? is that all there is to skirmish? right now in red tide i'm using a sniper to pick off the machine gunner in his lookout tower while a couple of my other guys lie hidden picking off the ground troops that come looking for me as a result of my shot. i'm talking strategy, tactics, logistics in red tide while skirmish in assault squad just seems to be kamikaze charges. is that it? is that why it's called assault squad? you guys like that kind of battle? or am i just frickin' wrong about all this? http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/images/icons/icon10.gif

CzaD
11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
I am not surprised that you might not like Skirmish esp if you can see the repetitive AI attacks. Solution, turn on the FoW and play on heroic. Let the AI surprise you a bit and you will have more fun exploring the map.

This is the first attempt to create skirmish in the game like that so it is not going to be perfect and it might disappoint at first coz MoW comes from the mission tradition which can be traced back to excellent games like Commandos or Desperados.

KageToraUK
11-07-2010, 10:54 AM
you guys seem to be putting up with my stupid questions so let me ask another. i've played MoW and am currently playing/finishing red tide (civ V interrupted me). i was able to try assault squad (thanks to KageToraUK) using the skirmish mode in multiplayer. I AM NOT a multiplayer player. the single player component in the final game is skirmish, you guys think it will be the same gameplay as i'm seeing in the multiplayer skirmish mode? i mean, it sucks! a hail of bullets from the bad guys surrounding a flag while i return that hail of bullets trying to get it? is that all there is to skirmish? right now in red tide i'm using a sniper to pick off the machine gunner in his lookout tower while a couple of my other guys lie hidden picking off the ground troops that come looking for me as a result of my shot. i'm talking strategy, tactics, logistics in red tide while skirmish in assault squad just seems to be kamikaze charges. is that it? is that why it's called assault squad? you guys like that kind of battle? or am i just frickin' wrong about all this? http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/images/icons/icon10.gif

I played it twice - once on my own and once with a friend - and both times the game wasn't finished. The first time I was just 'checking it out', as AS had only become available minutes before (very late at night), so I just wanted to see what it was like. An hour later, and I was still stuck on the first line of flags, so I gave up and went to bed. Next day, played again with a friend, and after two hours of relentless pushing, we'd only just managed to secure the third line of flags before both of us decided it was too long. The difficulty setting was on medium. So, I will say, it was very hard, and in my opinion, way too long for a multiplayer game of this sort (I play SOASE multiplayer, and games there can last for days, but it's a different type of game entirely). Thing is, it'll just take some getting used to. There is more you can do with squads in AS. The reason we'd managed to get as far as the third line of flags was because we worked out a tactic that seemed to work for us (one of which was taking it in turns to go around 'healing' dying soldiers behind the front line, repairing damaged tanks, etc). In addition to our own German tanks, we had a few Shermans (not excellent tanks, but the more armour the better).

Basically, what I'm saying is, the more you play it, the more you'll get to know what works. AS is actually quite different from MoW.

On a side note, if all you really want is the original MoW multiplayer-type game, but for single player, then check this out, if you haven't done so already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygsxK8LW6-4

If you haven't got this already, look on that video's page for the download link, or visit DMS or sust3.

SpeedWolf
11-07-2010, 11:17 AM
why they didn't make the skirmish like the DCG mod' the DCG mod is more of a real skirmish compare to the assault squad skirmish.

KageToraUK
11-07-2010, 11:35 AM
why they didn't make the skirmish like the DCG mod' the DCG mod is more of a real skirmish compare to the assault squad skirmish.

I think it's because the majority of games that have a skirmish mode generally tend to have a method of getting reinforcements in-game (usually base building). Rather than pull away from that and go the way of the DCG (or the SPC I linked to above) and just have the two sides start each battle with a fixed amount of forces, the devs seem to have opted for the reinforcements option - presumably because it can make a more varied game. Plus, it had to be different from the DCG, otherwise the community would go berserk - the DCG is community-produced, and free. AS is.... well... expensive, especially if you are only buying it to experience one specific game mode.

SpeedWolf
11-07-2010, 02:13 PM
The community make mode like that because the game is missing a skirmish mode' but don't you think that there have to take a page from the community when is' come to skirmish instead of taking a page from Company of Heroes?

DMS said that i don't like Assault Squad because i didn't play it a lot but as much as i try to like Assault Squad i just can't.

i really wanted them to upgrade Men of war but what they do is they change the game play in a way that i don't like' i know is a beta but i am 10 month in this beta and i cannot play it because i just don't like it but this is just me.

and what i mean by upgrade is this

1 - a better Multiplayer lobby and a better Service then gamespy.

2 - a game mode that you can select Heavy tank or light tank in your Multiplayer game mode. (so you don't have to have Heavy tank if you don't want it in your game)

3 - A weather option that you can pick when you're playing Multiplayer

4 - Better and more detail animation for soldier entering vehicle and getting out of vehicle and the same for soldier movement.

5 - of course we all know this better vocal acting.(only this one i know that DMS is going to upgrade for sure)

i can go on but what do i know' i just play the game i don't make the game.

Korsakov829
11-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Can't say I really like it either. Its just a mod, which we have to pay for. Maybe, after a official demo.

KageToraUK
11-07-2010, 04:06 PM
I do totally agree about the CoH thing. While there is no base-building (thank god!), in addition to the reinforcements in the skirmish mode (which I didn't think was such a bad thing, to be fair), there were a few other things which struck me as being straight from CoH. Graphically, it looked like it. MoW and CoH have always looked very different - this is one of the things we spend a lot of time and energy telling countless people who have never properly played either game, but AS really does look like CoH - right down to the dotted white circles under the infantry. The gameplay is a bit similar, but I must say I haven't played AS enough to give a proper value judgement on that. It only came out a week ago and I haven't spent all my gaming time on it.

As for your point about being able to select Heavy or Medium tanks in the multiplayer mode, I seem to remember there being that option in the rules section where you choose unit types - 'no heavy tanks', 'no superheavy tanks', etc. Maybe this bit has changed since you last played it, Speedwolf, or maybe I am thinking of something else.

SpeedWolf
11-07-2010, 07:06 PM
the last time i play assault squad was more then 2 month ago at the same time when all most everybody stop playing it.

DMS|Instinct
11-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Interesting because the amount of players in MoW:AS closed beta have been the highest of all time in the last couple of weeks. Anyway, It'd be helpful and less confusing for other people if you create feedback to the actual open beta and not something you played over 2 months ago. There is a closed beta section for this.

Mack the Knife
11-07-2010, 11:33 PM
thanks, Instinct, for chiming in but let's get back to my dumb questions if you don't mind http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/images/icons/icon10.gif(you can help answer this if you're still around). and, to the delight of many, i'll make this my last one:

i'll repeat, i don't play multiplayer. i like the mission based strategy, planning, and maneuvering of MoW and MoW:RT but don't like the brute force, kamikaze style of play i'm experiencing in the open beta Multiplayer Skirmish option (2 players, me and the AI). will the single player skirmish mode in the released version of Assault Squad be more like the original MoW/Red Tide or should I NOT buy it because it will just be more of the kamikaze stuff i'm seeing now?

if AS is not for me there's always Vietnam coming up which will probably be more to my liking...only thing is, some guys i knew years ago were killed there so we'll see...

DMS|Instinct
11-08-2010, 10:55 AM
will the single player skirmish mode in the released version of Assault Squad be more like the original MoW/Red Tide or should I NOT buy it because it will just be more of the kamikaze stuff i'm seeing now?
Not sure what you mean with kamikaze style, but the difficulty you set also sets the amount of troops. So on easy you should have a pretty fair and less demanding gameplay with a lot less units.
However, the skirmish is the core feature of Assault Squad and comes with 16 missions for 5 nations and are similar to the ones you see now. As this is a beta there will be changes for the release version for sure but not drastic ones.

After the release you will most likely have the chance to obtain more skirmishes via DLC that feature different sort of gameplays.

CzaD
11-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Mack, I guess I don't need to tell you that Skirmish plays differently from Missions. If I were you I would save money for Vietnam for the meantime, however I am pretty sure there will be plenty of mods for AS, and among them there surely will be some missions, so you might consider buying it for them.

In Skirmish it is also possible to plan and try different tactics but there is a problem coz AI always does the same thing and relentlessly puts pressure on you. So first you need to learn how to effectively repel AI attacks before planning your advance.

Crni vuk
11-08-2010, 03:27 PM

Thats the impression I have from the Beta so far as well ... sadly. Either my expecations have been wrong or the game doestn really offer that much. Seems to also have the same penetration and code like previous games. But I havnt spend that much time with that yet (though Tigers geting their turret penetrated by 76mm guns ... not all to fun if you ask me).

Hoped for a few more changes then just visuals. But time will tell. IN the curent state though I am not sure if to buy it really is worth the prize, well depending on how much it will cost in the end of course.

Mack the Knife
11-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Not sure what you mean with kamikaze style
hmm, odd coming from a WWII game guy...is 'bonzai charge' better? and yes (of course) I was playing on easy and thanks for your input.

@CzaD,

sage advice and i'll do just that...

<edit>
if nothing else this topic of mine at least got some people talking...good to see more folks here and contributing http://www.crf2.com/images/smilies/groucho.gif
</edit>

CzaD
11-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Come on, guys. In all fairness, all expantions can be seen as mods. MoW Vietnam expantion is coming out, so is the MoW Vietnam mod. ;)

As to the price, well I have no idea how much we are going to pay for AS. It is always better to wait a month or so coz the price upon the release is aimed at the rich and spoilt and then it goes down.

Since I love MP, AS offers more value for money for me than RT or Vietnam.

Korsakov829
11-09-2010, 02:09 AM
...Since I love MP, AS offers more value for money for me than RT or Vietnam....

Yeah. I was through RT in less then 3 months. I do not believe I will bother with Assault Squad or Vietnam. The only thing that sticks out in Assault Squad is the skrimish mode. Of course we have been asking for it, it sounds like it sucks though.

CzaD
11-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Frankly speaking, skirmish is not that bad when you look at it closely. However, I understand it might not be everyone’s cup of tea, coz skirmish is all about using strategy in the heat of battle. Crete mission actually resembles Skirmish very much and I would prefer Skirmish to be just like that with no flags, but with more varied fortifications.

Call it whatever you like: kamikaze or mass heroism, it doesn’t change the fact that AI charges actually resemble those of WW2, esp on Eastern front. When I watch Saving Private Ryan, The Thin Red Line or Enemy at the Gates, I actually see very similar scenes as in the game.

I can see an improvement in AI. They don’t just run from A to B. AI soldiers constantly move from cover to cover, they even retreat. In AS the AI tanks are tweaked quite well too. They don’t just drive in a straight line nor do they swarm together like it was in the missions. They frequently use roads, and stay back and patiently look for targets rather than rush to your base and get destroyed by AT nades.

Of course AI will never be perfect but when you actually turn on the fog of war and play on normal, it might surprise you a bit and you will have more fun exploring the map in search of AI units.

What’s more I don’t think you will find better AI in RTS. I would never be able to force myself play games like CoH. I used to be a huge Total War fan, but not anymore. All TW titles before Empire are brilliant, and Stainless Steel mod for Kingdoms is just awesome: it is actually capable of winning. But to my horror, in Empire they introduced a new FOW for your units and your units now can only see and react to enemy units who are right in front of them but they will absolutely disregard enemy units who shoot at them from flanks or rear. I hate this completely unrealistic feature so bad and I won’t even bother to check out the new Shogun 2 game. I’d rather play Skirmish. To see how atrocious AI path finding is in TW, you need to play a game in town. In Skirmish, this is where AI shines coz AI soldiers have lots of places to hide, but in TW I was able to defeat 2 full stack armies with just a handful of units with minimal losses and I could do it with just a few clicks of the mouse.

Last more thing, I just love Skirmish maps. They really look nice. They alone invite you to play on them. And I think they are well designed too , esp with tanks in mind. I was happy to see that AI tanks don’t get stuck somewhere on the map but can roam freely.

All in all, the skirmish is not that bad and if they will introduce scripted events and vary the AI attacks more to break the monotony of AI attacks, it could be quite enjoybale.