PDA

View Full Version : Defender of the Crown Challenge!

axelle
10-03-2010, 11:48 PM
difficulty: impossible+no loss

class: up to you, it has been proven that mage and paladin are both pretty good.

score: 800+, i.e, you have to level to 30 or above

for beginners, i will explain how defender of the crown works:

you first start with human, dwarf or elf. you fight 4 battles on the first island before you go to the second island.

The second island is either undead, lizard or elf

to be able to get to level 30+, you will need either

1, hand of the necropolis, which will only spawn if your ally is the undead on the second island. but with undead you usually don't get any good items that can be suppressed.

2, 2~3 upgradable items on the second island if you want lizard/elf.

your allegiance on the second island is not determined when you begin the game, so you can save and check repeatedly until desired troops and artifacts available on the second island when you leave the first island.

you will need to fight item upgrades in order to reach level 30+, some of the current high scores is my level 28, and loreangelicus's 26.

must-have items: ancient knowledge scroll, 4 level 4~5 suppression and/or the equivalent of lesser suppression. your total amount of fight should be around 20, where 7 are mandatory and 13ish are suppression battles. mask of hate is very good, as you can upgrade it, and then suppress it right after(takes one battle for its morale to go to 0 after upgrade).

for now that's it, if you have any questions, ask!

axelle
10-06-2010, 03:30 PM
another impossible-no loss game i completed this morning.

yes i only got to level 26. however, i managed to beat the entire game with pretty much just one ogre!!!

some upgrade fights went like this: mage cast magic shield on ogre. ogre's turn, cast peacefulness + armageddon, and all 5 gremlin towers get instantly killed haha!

so after discovering this strategy, i realized that I can simply abuse undead unit + death star (it hurts the gremlin towers i hope? anyone c/d?), as long as i have a few experience-heavy level 4~5 upgrades, i will be able to hit level 30 easily!!!

jake21
10-06-2010, 05:41 PM
What spell is magic shield not sure I've heard of or seen that before.

Elwin
10-06-2010, 06:25 PM
archmage ability ;p

jake21
10-06-2010, 07:59 PM
But his mage cast it ? Is this unique to defender of the crown (I'm playing orc campaign).

archmage ability ;p

loreangelicus
10-06-2010, 08:03 PM
another impossible-no loss game i completed this morning.

yes i only got to level 26. however, i managed to beat the entire game with pretty much just one ogre!!!

some upgrade fights went like this: mage cast magic shield on ogre. ogre's turn, cast peacefulness + armageddon, and all 5 gremlin towers get instantly killed haha!

so after discovering this strategy, i realized that I can simply abuse undead unit + death star (it hurts the gremlin towers i hope? anyone c/d?), as long as i have a few experience-heavy level 4~5 upgrades, i will be able to hit level 30 easily!!!

Ummm... I don't think that's an Ogre you used there axelle. :)

I was also wondering how the archmage survives the armaggedon, and the answer I assume is, of course it doesn't; you resurrect it afterwards. I think for the level 30+ game 4 AK scrolls plus a bunch of upgradeable artifacts is necessary.

DGDobrev
10-06-2010, 08:23 PM
But his mage cast it ? Is this unique to defender of the crown (I'm playing orc campaign).

It's present in any campaign who has archmagi in it.

As for the challenge, it's interesting. I'm currently slowly doing OOTM campaign (not much time) but I may jump on this as well.

axelle
10-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Ummm... I don't think that's an Ogre you used there axelle. :)

I was also wondering how the archmage survives the armaggedon, and the answer I assume is, of course it doesn't; you resurrect it afterwards. I think for the level 30+ game 4 AK scrolls plus a bunch of upgradeable artifacts is necessary.

1 AK is enough to hit level 30.

if you fight five level 4~5 suppression, each fight will yield close to 20k experience. and 5 of them already put you at 100k experience which is level 28

the rest all combined will be more than enough for 2 levels.

but of course the more AK the merrier! but any AK on the first island probably won't be bought because you need money to buy lots of artifacts that you will suppress later!

jake21
10-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Then his mage did not cast it; his npc did.

It's present in any campaign who has archmagi in it.

As for the challenge, it's interesting. I'm currently slowly doing OOTM campaign (not much time) but I may jump on this as well.

DGDobrev
10-07-2010, 01:09 PM
What npc?!

I have never seen anything other than the archmage unit to cast the Magic Shield ability (this is why it is ability, not a spell). Unless anythng has changed, things should be exactly the same.

Maybe if someone has seen something similar, he/she'll jump in and say something on the matter :)

axelle
10-08-2010, 04:04 PM
need help with hitting 30!!!

so, ideally, i could chug my AK scroll and suppress mask of hate, and then suppress something else, and then suppress mask of hate again! (its initial moral is 1, and it decreases by 1 every fight) and i will be level 30 after the final boss!

but the thing is, i don't see myself winning the suppression with the troops spells and artifacts offered. the other 4 fights should be easy, namely, silver shoes->perfect shoes, 2 batons, high druid staff...

here is the save, anyone interested in hitting 30 in DotC should give it a shot.

just unzip it to C:\Users\whatever your user name is\Documents\My Games\Kings Bounty Princess\$save

loreangelicus
10-08-2010, 05:05 PM
need help with hitting 30!!!

so, ideally, i could chug my AK scroll and suppress mask of hate, and then suppress something else, and then suppress mask of hate again! (its initial moral is 1, and it decreases by 1 every fight) and i will be level 30 after the final boss!

but the thing is, i don't see myself winning the suppression with the troops spells and artifacts offered. the other 4 fights should be easy, namely, silver shoes->perfect shoes, 2 batons, high druid staff...

here is the save, anyone interested in hitting 30 in DotC should give it a shot.

just unzip it to C:\Users\whatever your user name is\Documents\My Games\Kings Bounty Princess\$save

It would be unfair for me to take this on without giving you a chance to finish it yourself. As for suggestions on taking on the Mask of Hate suppression battles, it should be noted that the units generated are demons and red dragons. I see black dragons (80% resistance to magic and fire) available in one of the houses; as a mage, you could go single stack strategy with them. They do fire damage though which the demons and red dragons are 50%/80% resistant to, and I see that your damage spells are primarily fire-based. There is an ice snake sold at one of the shops, physical damage (I would have preferred poison skull as it is more cost-effective and demons/reds have zero resistance to it, but I didn't see any available).

You don't have too much money, so you might want to do a suppression battle or two first so that you could buy more black dragons. You could also sell fully suppressed items that you don't need.

Good luck!

axelle
10-12-2010, 08:52 PM
original post is updated with more info.

looking for more people to join the challenge!!!what i need is a lot of saves with impossible mage (if human, pick lizard, if dwarf or elf, pick orc) so i can scan them!

it's very hard to generate a good save that will guarantee level 30!!!

hotfix666
10-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Where can I find ancient knowledge ???

loreangelicus
10-13-2010, 05:14 PM
I've seen AK scrolls spawn on the castle itself, after fighting at least 2 hero battles in the first island.

A more common spawn is on the temple to the left of the castle (if you are facing the castle) AK scrolls could spawn there after the first hero battle.

You had best start a game, save it, and just use the KBScanner to quickly check if your save game has any AK scroll spawns or not.

You could also try digging up chests for AK scrolls as the pet dragon is available in this short campaign (it is not available in CotA), but this would be a greater effort as chances of digging up a wanderer scroll (much less a specific one) are rare.

hotfix666
10-14-2010, 07:05 PM
I've seen AK scrolls spawn on the castle itself, after fighting at least 2 hero battles in the first island.

A more common spawn is on the temple to the left of the castle (if you are facing the castle) AK scrolls could spawn there after the first hero battle.

You had best start a game, save it, and just use the KBScanner to quickly check if your save game has any AK scroll spawns or not.

You could also try digging up chests for AK scrolls as the pet dragon is available in this short campaign (it is not available in CotA), but this would be a greater effort as chances of digging up a wanderer scroll (much less a specific one) are rare.

Thanks... I gonna reach level 30 tomorrow :D

loreangelicus
10-16-2010, 02:55 AM
Hi axelle, I tried but came up short. :)

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=16972

It was a good game though, I was able to suppress the Mask of Hate. But contrary to what you mentioned it actually started with a morale of 50. And even if it did have a morale of 1, other suppression battles would not drop item morale, and the only battle that I had left was the final battle.

Still a good game though, good luck in getting level 30+! :)