PDA

View Full Version : If you have never played AP do you start with OOTM or AP?

DrAtomic1
09-24-2010, 03:25 AM
If you have never played AP do you start with OOTM or AP? I.e. does OOTM have different quests then AP or is OOTM more like an expansion to AP (AP+new content) and does OOTM include all original AP content?

joasoz
09-24-2010, 06:40 AM
Start with OOTM. Its basically an expanded AP. You never have to play AP after OOTM I would say. Unless you are very curious about the differences and have to play both. Then AP first since OOTM is probably a bit better :)

DrAtomic1
09-24-2010, 03:54 PM
cheers, ootm it is then :)

Phyrex
09-25-2010, 07:13 AM
What exactly are the new hero skills in OOTM btw? Do they have a big impact on the 'new' campaign?

DGDobrev
09-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Not really. You can play KBAP-style and you'll still do just fine.

Kas
09-25-2010, 08:00 AM
What exactly are the new hero skills in OOTM btw? Do they have a big impact on the 'new' campaign?

I'm not sure what warriors or paladins get, but the mage acquires a skill that reduces leadership requirements for virtually every caster-type unit in the game. Level 1 = 10% reduction (out of three ranks). I'd say that with the addition of rune mages, it has a huge impact, for obvious reasons. Just look at their skills. There's a tremendous synergy now with certain hero skill, artifact and unit combinations.

Phyrex
09-25-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure what warriors or paladins get, but the mage acquires a skill that reduces leadership requirements for virtually every caster-type unit in the game. Level 1 = 10% reduction (out of three ranks). I'd say that with the addition of rune mages, it has a huge impact, for obvious reasons. Just look at their skills. There's a tremendous synergy now with certain hero skill, artifact and unit combinations.

That leadership reduction skill doesn't seem to be there in the OOTM campaign. I only see it in the other shorter campaigns... Basically I see no difference at all besides some "+adrenaline for Orcs" additions to an existing skill.

karabaja
09-25-2010, 09:33 AM
That leadership reduction skill doesn't seem to be there in the OOTM campaign. I only see it in the other shorter campaigns... Basically I see no difference at all besides some "+adrenaline for Orcs" additions to an existing skill.
it's not there right from start. first you need to start a quest for it and then fight few battles before you get it. this skill is unique for each class.

there is another one addition and it's related to Neatness skill. it improves some of engineers abilities.

Phyrex
09-25-2010, 09:46 AM
it's not there right from start. first you need to start a quest for it and then fight few battles before you get it. this skill is unique for each class.

there is another one addition and it's related to Neatness skill. it improves some of engineers abilities.

Thanks Karabaja. So each class gets another unique class skill after doing a certain quest?
What are the unique ones for Warrior and Paladin?

karabaja
09-25-2010, 10:04 AM
your welcome :)

***SPOILER WARNING***

for warrior it's Counterattack - adds more counterattacks for your humanoid warriors. i didn't try paladin yet, but i'm pretty sure it's the skill that gives a chance to recive only half damage. i think it's called Holy Armor.

Phyrex
09-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Ah ok, so basically the new skills that you get from the start in the other shorter campaigns you eventually also get in the OOTM campaign.

You mentioned a second small addition to the neatness skill specially for mages as well, do you also know about these for the other classes? The Engineer ability improvement doesn't sound very interesting but there might be some others that make a different playstyle worthwhile... :)

karabaja
09-25-2010, 10:16 AM
no, addition to neatness skill is same for all classes. engineers are great unit, and this bonus makes 'em even more powerful.

drakeborn
09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
To piggyback on the OP's question. I am a KB noob and bought the Platinum pack which includes The Legend, AP, and CW. Is The Legend campaign the one to start with and then OotM? Or does the OotM campaign capture all three titles?

Saiko Kila
09-27-2010, 05:11 PM
To piggyback on the OP's question. I am a KB noob and bought the Platinum pack which includes The Legend, AP, and CW. Is The Legend campaign the one to start with and then OotM? Or does the OotM campaign capture all three titles?

The Legend is to be played before OotM. OotM are chronologically set after The Legend, and instead of Armored Princess.

drakeborn
09-27-2010, 05:15 PM
The Legend is to be played before OotM. OotM are chronologically set after The Legend, and instead of Armored Princess.

Thanks for your quick reply!

onepiece
09-27-2010, 11:52 PM
You should not play AP if you have OotM. The second one it's the same but with more content, units, spells, items, etc...

It's a more polished version of AP (although it still has some of the same mistakes in the descriptions)

Metroplex
10-10-2010, 07:52 PM
I ordered KB: Crossworlds on DVD, looking forward to playing it.;)

Sir Whiskers
10-10-2010, 10:07 PM
You should not play AP if you have OotM. The second one it's the same but with more content, units, spells, items, etc...

It's a more polished version of AP (although it still has some of the same mistakes in the descriptions)

I have to disagree with the consensus and suggest starting with AP. The reason is that OotM has a number of bugs that have not yet been fixed. Once a full patch comes out dealing with those, then I'd recommend OotM, but not before.

Metathron
10-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Meh, I don't think any of the bugs are major enough to really spoil the experience...

onepiece
10-12-2010, 02:00 AM
The only problematic one (depending of your play style) is the Assasin bug. But I don't think of it as problematic bug (if it crashes then stop looking at the ability until they release a functional patch).