PDA

View Full Version : 'Randomness'

Phyrex
09-22-2010, 08:59 PM
First of all, I love the unique combination of gameplay elements that King's Bounty has. I do however have a problem with the complete randomness in the game.
I personally like to plan ahead and finding out that your game won't ever spawn that specific item you need to perfect your [race]army just ruins all the fun for me. Specifically set items... I think it's rather stupid that you don't know in advance whether you'll ever be able to complete it. And only finding a resurrection spell as Paladin at around 80% completion of the game I also consider "bad" randomness.

I was wondering if this is still the case in Crossworlds (will get the game soon). And more importantly whether there are ways to change/fix it. Perhaps an edited game containing everything? I'd really prefer if the game designers created a 'standard' game, which is the same for everyone (and obviously very balanced without some of the weird settings) and then a sepperate option for randomness.

How do you guys view the whole issue about randomness regarding the replayability factor vs a single playthrough experience(which would be better without randomness).

ckdamascus
09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I sort of agree that not being able to finish a set is "stupid", but that adds to the challenge. Do you dare to farm out all the monsters, or save some so you can beef up your "needs 50 victory items"?

Being able to use the map labeller/editor helps you keep notes on key items you might have or remember, etc.

Crossworlds helps a little bit on the balance, either that or I just got really lucky.

Impossible Mage, no re-loading, phantom and call phoenix was immediately available on the first island along with rune mages.

I found resurrection reasonably early too, before or around I started stomping around Verona.

I also found some damage resist items already, and I am only level 25.

Swindley
09-23-2010, 07:41 AM
I find the randomness to be one of the games best qualities..
How boring wouldnt the game be on the 2nd playthrough if you just did the exact same thing as the 1st time, used the same units, and the same items...

The way the games forces you to adapt to a situation, using what's available is something I really enjoy, and I find myself playing totally different now than I did last time because I don't have access to the same spells/units/items.

Last game there were no demonoligists the entire game, so let's hope I find some this time;) Lack of units this time made me experiment abit with droids too, which was fun:)
________
Amateur exposed (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/51/exposed/videos/1)

joasoz
09-23-2010, 01:15 PM
I want much more randomness. Random quests, random areas and such. No playthrough should be the same.

onepiece
09-23-2010, 06:47 PM
It's good but exasperatiing when you receive things like bears of devil fish to buy and nothing good (almost all the stores at verona now have them and only 1 stack of paladins!)

I support random areas and maybe quest (given similar rewards so the player doesn't favour one over the other)

DrAtomic1
09-24-2010, 04:38 AM
And only finding a resurrection spell as Paladin at around 80% completion of the game I also consider "bad" randomness.

Heh, I just finished KB: The Legends and the very last scroll I found was resurrection. I kid you not. In demonis, in the very last chest.... I had allready cleaned out everything else only needed to finish the Haas fight. I was soooooo omg omg omg omg, plus demonis was too hard at first so i moved through the orc lands and the dragon laby first... Couldnt believe the great items I found in demonis lol.

Urbz
09-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Heh, I just finished KB: The Legends and the very last scroll I found was resurrection. I kid you not. In demonis, in the very last chest.... I had allready cleaned out everything else only needed to finish the Haas fight. I was soooooo omg omg omg omg, plus demonis was too hard at first so i moved through the orc lands and the dragon laby first... Couldnt believe the great items I found in demonis lol.

Bit OT but doesn't a pala start with a scroll of res in KB:TL? :rolleyes:

Anyhow I fully agree with Swindly's post, randomness ftw!

Kas
09-24-2010, 09:47 PM
If the game weren't so random, I probably wouldn't play it. That's what I liked so much about AP to begin with. Right from the first island, it's obvious that this game is much more random than Legend, and that's at least half of what makes it better, IMO.

In Legend, you always knew exactly what units would be waiting for you on the next map, even on the first playthrough. It was just too predictable. But I love how in AP I don't know whether I'll find black dragons in the Rusty Anchor tavern or a bunch of crappy pirates. Will I have great units right from the start or will I be stuck with a motley crew of misfits?

I've actually had more fun when the game dealt me a bad hand. It adds to the challenge and forces me to use new strategies every time I play.

There's just enough structure to give you a few basic guarantees, like royal thorns on Debir and archmages on Scarlet. So you aren't completely SOL if you absolutely have to have magic shield or a spam summoner/tank, etc. I always pick up those mages ASAP in every game, and I know I wouldn't want too many more guarantees like that.