PDA

View Full Version : A little underwhelming...

Renevent
09-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Before I say what I want to say let me start out by saying the new King's Bounty series is probably my favorite game(s) released in the past few years. I played the original KB on the sega genesis many years ago and loved it...when I heard a new KB was being worked on I was very excited though worried it wouldn't translate well plus I had never heard of Katauri Interactive. All my expectations were surpassed...kudos to Katuari!

Ok now that I covered that...

As someone who has played through The Legend and Armored Princes prior to Crossworlds the whole thing comes off as a bit underwhelming. To be honest Armored Princess did share maybe a little too much with The Legend, but it's such an expansive campaign with nice improvements that it stood on it's own even if there was a slight tinge of 'more of the same'.

Sadly I can't say that about Crossworlds. I like the general ideas behind it, especially an arena which in principle sounds great. But to be honest it feels a bit 'tacked on' rather than a fully fleshed out concept. I like the improvements to Armored Princess too, but it's really not that much and most of it doesn't change a whole lot or improve Armored Princess by a great deal.

To me Crossworlds simply feels like an extended cut, or bonus content rather than a real expansion. There's no denying that Crossworlds makes Armored Princess into a better game, but for those who have been through it all before how much value is there?

Let me be clear...I am not angry or even upset...and in the end I am having fun with Crossworlds. I just feel that this expansion didn't live up to the ones before it and were getting awfully close to 'been there done that' territory.

Anyways, major kudos to Katuari for creating one of my favorite PC game series in a long time, and I really look forward to them continuing to expand the game :grin:

Mandea
09-22-2010, 01:52 PM
well, what you say is true but....they did it in a few months and the fans contributed to it. so...it could have been better but as far as I know they're already working on a different project, different to KB online.

ckdamascus
09-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I like it. The item redistribution and unit distribution makes for a better flow for Impossible modes.

I already feel the addiction returning, after a large hiatus from King's Bounty AP. :)

I also like the replayability for the two shorter campaigns. It condenses the best parts of King's Bounty AP, and the extended version of AP's original world has gotten be back to the mega addiction due to the new spells and unit revisions.

I'm able to do a few more nifty strategies now with the subtle changes overall.

Dwagginz
09-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm torn on Crossworlds as well, although I've not put much time into it.

I think a lot of its strength lies in replayability. No two games of Armored Princess/OotM will be the same, sure, but it seems like there's more "immediate" differences in the two mini-campaigns.

It's one of those purchases where £5 per add on would be fine but £15 as a whole seems a bit "expensive". It sounds very contradictory, I know, but it's just my view.

pavned
09-22-2010, 03:38 PM
I think that once people finish replaying the campaign (OOTM-style) and the other 2 and start playing with the editor, that's when the biggest improvements will occur.!

MrRomanticGameGuy
09-22-2010, 05:14 PM
The editor alone ist worth the money. :grin:
Also a computergame is always cheaper than going into cinema. xD

onepiece
09-23-2010, 05:59 PM
I also think it's a little expensive given that is not at all that more, compared to when AP came out.
And since the gift bag came out for free, there's even less now that wasn't before (it seriously lacks new "proper" units. Repainted ones, I point at you!)

P.D: @ pavned, I suppose ind a few weeks we shall see the first fan-made maps, units and the likes. Now it's going to be a game by players for players (like Titan quest now as the community keeps it fresh and with new mods)

Heroe
09-25-2010, 07:17 PM
So, the content and campaigns are not big or involving?

I really loved "the legend" with its massive land and a strong story...where AP was new fresh content with a lot of too small continents and stories..
So i didnt bought crossworlds yet, because im not sure whats in there.. :confused:

onepiece
09-25-2010, 07:40 PM
If you are looking for different setting, story and the like, you will found mostly different playing styles (champion of the arena, a redone campaign and defender of the crown).

The campaign (March of the Orcs) is mostly the same from AP, plus the giftbag, some recolored units, more items and spells (bases on the 4 rage spirits from The Legend) and the like. This one doesn't add very much (compared to AP)

Defender of the Crown is a set of battles in special arenas (enemy area is full of walls for protection or has a barracks that summons units) and you gain levels extremely fast (2-4 per battle) and is for hardcore battles.

Champion of the Arena is a mini campaign in which you do assasin mission (kill heroes) and do battles on small areas (like the campaign with no island and small areas). I havne't played this one very much and don't know the rest. Look for the official thread on this one for more info.

The editor (for modding and replay value)

And the original campaign (XD)

Conclusion: From your answer I'll say you wait a little until it gets cheaper. The campaign isn't much improved (at least in the beginning) but has some nice additions. I say you wait a little time and then give it a chance.

P.S: I miss some of the "legend" jokes and funny stories and things (the train for example or the submarine) plus the giant turtle and the big settings (land of the dead!!). I think AP lacks that "energy" and setting and moments but overwhelms it in terms of gameplay.

Heroe
09-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for you answer... well i might wait until christmas, for a cheaper price, and maybe by that time there will be some great fan-made campaigns. :rolleyes:

onepiece
09-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Yep that's what I'm waiting.