PDA

View Full Version : I'm really getting my hat handed to me, any tips?

City Builder
09-20-2010, 03:42 AM
Hi,

Although I predominantly bought Crossworlds for the map editor, I'm attempting to play it more than I played Legends or Armored Princess however I'm really getting my hat handed to me in the battles.

I'm buying new troops at every place that seems to offer up newer and better troops however when I get into the battle things just go really poorly.

I don't know what I am doing wrong in this, it really shouldn't be this difficult for me and though I'm no power game I've been gaming fairly sucessfully for the past 19 or more years.

Maybe there is a tip sheet floating around somewhere that can help me with my battles?

I tried just letting the auto resolve function run to watch how the AI fights the battles, sometimes it wins, sometimes not, it seems maybe the AI when fighting my battles must get some better roles of the dice than I do in battle if the game uses that mechanism to fight the battles at all.

Voxfox
09-20-2010, 06:33 AM
I`d suggest heading over to KB:AP forums especially the tips and hints sub forum. http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=146
I learnt most of my tactics here and they all apply to Crossworlds still.
HTH

--

Urbz
09-20-2010, 09:20 AM
I`d suggest heading over to KB:AP forums especially the tips and hints sub forum. http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=146
I learnt most of my tactics here and they all apply to Crossworlds still.
HTH

--

Or give some more info so people here can more easily give you tips. ;)
What class and difficulty are you playing ? And what units and such are you using?

Swindley
09-20-2010, 10:02 AM
What difficulty and class are you playing?

My tactics as a mage is to focus my units around ranged units or units that can summon more units, then have them stall and pick away at stuff while i nuke with spells.
I mostly tank with summons + some other powerfull tanking units, like cyclops etc. I also use royal snakes and assassins etc early as they are awesome and fun:)

I experiment alot with different units as alot of units work with this tactic.. I only lost a few units at some hero battles so far..

My experience with Warrior is more limited as I generally enjoy spellcasters more in allmost every RPG, but I hear summons/Phantom and buffs in general work well there:)

Note that I'm not a crazy min maxer, I just want to have fun and try different things and play the way I enjoy the most:)
This games combat is very deep and there are ALOT of viable tactics and playstyles that are all viable. If you prefer any particular style, write here and we'll see what we can do to help:)
You'd be surprised how many crazy setups and playstyles you can beat the game with:)
________
Outdoor Oral (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/808/oral/videos/1)

Saiko Kila
09-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi,

Although I predominantly bought Crossworlds for the map editor, I'm attempting to play it more than I played Legends or Armored Princess however I'm really getting my hat handed to me in the battles.

I'm buying new troops at every place that seems to offer up newer and better troops however when I get into the battle things just go really poorly.

If you happen to be mage... One thing that helped me a lot - and so far I lost no soldier (lev 16), is to get Call Phoenix and Order Magic to Level 3. I save before battles of course (and keep archival saves from key moments), and load if something went awry. I had no Phoenix till too late (checked with game scanner) so I went to Magic Tower and there it was, on second level. You may lose some grunts when fighting first battle, but that is not really important, because they're temporary only. Phoenix is now ideally suited for a mage, because he gains more life with any point of Intellect and some attack and defense too (only half from summoner skill though). So phoenix is a perfect tank, just get some royal snakes (or quicker guys) to move forth in the beginning and summon phoenix, which then will attack up to three enemies. This is a good opening if you're still a sucky, low level mage with no intellect, mana, magic schools and spells.

There are often loses (especially again damn orcs, I hate them now) so you must have some healers and revivers, at least for most valuable units. Healing spell is excellent on level three (that's one of many reasons to get Order Magic III), because it costs only 1 mana and is powerful.

Some revivers are:
inquisitors - living things, but not plants
demonologists - suck life from many units, even undead, and can give to most living things, including demons (aim for targets with lower defense)
paladins - heal themselves and most surrounding living, but repel demons
Ancient Phoenix - order magic 3, has powerful revive, and you can summon another one to replenish, costs a lot of mana though
fauns - heals only plants, useful for royal thorns, assuming you got lucky and have royal thorns ;), is elf, and elves don't like dwarfs, undead and other awesome units, so will have lowered defense, attack and critical chance
orc trackers - (on adrenaline high only) heals animals
runemage(s) - well, I don't really use runemage, because I can have one of them, and when I met them in battle they were quite sucking (say hello to witch hunters ;)), but their resurrect version is stronger than inquisitors of corresponding leadership, and grows stronger with unspent runes

Orc shamans mass heal with dancing axes, though it's quite weak unless you have only few stacks.

Trolls heal themselves in the beginning of turn at night, so can be good for low level sacrifice (which revives other units), BTW I have no trolls in my current game.

Vampires in bat form and ghosts suck life from enemies and revive themselves. Ghosts can grow beyond stack limits, so there are strategies abusing that ability ;)

Vampires in human form and werewolves heal themselves like trolls, but also during day time, if nothing changed (I met no werewolves yet, unfortunately).

Resurrect spell is sometimes difficult to get, but may revive low and midlevels.

Sacrifice spell is also tend to be difficult to get early but is quite neat for units which are Hypnotized or seduced by demonesses.

Generally, you encounter many units which seem new and better, but until you get a breakpoint (like phoenix, or later phantom spell, or resurrect and sacrifice and high mana, or dragons, or some mana renewal skills etc.) it's better to rely on tested, trusted veterans with whose lows and highs you are better accustomed, than new units.

And tactics with summoning is best for mage, I think, as a general strategy. So demonologists (there are often some of them on Verona) are one of the best. Dryads (but they're elves). Royal thorns (if you get enough of them, good with dryads). These archeopteryx-like birds (they have hard balls, I mean eggs). Demons (from store or demon portal spell, demons summoned by demonologists don't summon further). Engineers (though they are somewhat costly in leadership). Druids are weaker, but you may try them if you're following an eco-terror path. Necromancer are not so bad, but they are not really compatible with living units. Spells: Necro Call, Summon Nature, Call Phoenix and Demon Portal. Mystic Egg ability of your pet, at higher levels you can get like 4 red dragons sometimes.

And evil beholders to mind control one stack of enemies in the beginning and hit their colleagues with them, and to repeatedly putting to sleep some low levels after that (best against massive stack of 1, or 2 level enemies). Dryads are good for that too, and Fear spell also, so you can concentrate on other enemies for a moment.