PDA

View Full Version : Favorite enemy

Saiko Kila
09-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Is it possible to change favorite enemy of human troops? My inquisitors got stuck with "Totem of Life" favorite, which is a suboptimal choice. They were hit by many enemies since then, and killed many more, but the favorite doesn't change. It's the only human unit I'm using any more so I don't have idea whether they can change that or not.

BB Shockwave
09-19-2010, 06:36 PM
I am using only human units too, so yeah, this sucks.

My idea is - which I will try out when I get more money to experiment - that if you merge two similar groups, the Favorite enemy ability of the bigger group will stack to the merged group. Meaning, you dismiss/leave in a castle more then half of your old troops, hire new ones (more then half of what you can recruit), attack an enemy you think will fight often (Black Dragons, for example) and then go back to the castle and merge the two groups.

Or, if you have enough money, just dismissing the old group, buying new ones and try to find an enemy where you will be able to attack a new favorite.

Hunkie
09-20-2010, 03:48 AM
Sorry, but your idea is only your idea. What a human unit attacks first will be that unit's favorite enemy FOREVER. I had to start a new game and avoid putting human units in my army until I could encounter enemies worthy to be my favorite enemies.

onepiece
09-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Now THAT'S bad. That's going to leave a deep scar in some players (Not very "useful" that my paladin's favorite enemy is "Fire Dragonfly")

Saiko Kila
09-20-2010, 06:52 PM
OK, indeed, the Favorite Enemy stays the same even after disbanding. Fortunately, this skill isn't as good as it could be, 20% is not that much I think. The whole idea reminds me HoMM5 and the sylvans' rangers, somehow…

Urbz
09-20-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm guessing it's just a nice minor bonus for the human race and if you could reset it, or choose your favorite enemy it would possibly get a bit too imba. ;)

Saiko Kila
09-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Probably it would be, though now it's imbalanced to the wrong side, I'd said :) "Totem of Life" isn't even a proper enemy in my book, even if it looks scary ;)

onepiece
09-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Jajjaja. Now that's a "Good" enemy Saiko. The fierce "Totem of Life"!!. That sound's like a Monkey Island joke.

BB Shockwave
09-21-2010, 05:22 AM
Sooo, even after dismissing all your Archers (for example), and hiring new ones, they will start out with the same favourite enemy?

Btw, the translation should have been "Favoured Enemy" - that's how it has been in D&D as well.

Hunkie
09-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Actually, the term "favourite" is more appropriate for the skill. Your troops lose their virginity to a particular type of unit and that memory will haunt them forever. The worst thing isn't how they can't get over it but how that memory can spread to other unhired troops like an epidemic disease. :|

Saiko Kila
09-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Hehe, or they are favorite because they prefer to fight them instead of blackdragons or trolls :)

BB Shockwave
09-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, now that I know... I will most likely only use my Rune Mage for summoning and resurrection until I find some worthy enemies. Like the undead in the first castle, who has ancient vampires - those'll make nice favorite enemies.

Saiko Kila
09-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Well, now that I know... I will most likely only use my Rune Mage for summoning and resurrection until I find some worthy enemies. Like the undead in the first castle, who has ancient vampires - those'll make nice favorite enemies.

My Rune Mages got "skeleton archers" as favorite enemy. Wouldn't be bad (skelly archers are plentiful in game), but their damage is kind of low no matter bonuses. As with most high levels - they're good if they can attack many units with one blow, but hitting a single one - peasants would be better. Heck, level 4 demonologists and evil beholders are stronger attackers.

Specials of runemages are nice though. Curse or sheep is fun, and summons on reload too.