PDA

View Full Version : Champion of the arena - easy win walkthrough (spoilers)

DGDobrev
09-19-2010, 03:34 PM
I managed to beat the champion of the arena without a loss on hard, so I'm damn sure the same tactic will be applicable in impossible. I intend to find out soon enough with a different class.

EDIT: It can be done. Just finished the game with a mage on impossible using the very same tactic - even under harsher conditions. I had no Black Dragons available and I was forced to use trolls and revolve my tactics around them all the time. Still, with some tactical thinking and cunning, everything is possible. I've added the victory screenshots as well.

Personal note: why the hell one would want to use a warrior for this campaign?! You'll have tons of rage and the only way to spend it would be Calm Rage spell. I expected to get the rage box or a dragon sooner or later, but none of this happened.

That was bad thinking by the campaign creators. That's like saying - yes, you are a warrior, but I force you to play as a mage or a paladin, because you won't be able to use your rage for skills at all. The only saving grace is the extra leadership. Big deal. Paladin performs much better here.

WALKTHROUGH:

0. Get a troll either in the starting area or in the dwarven zone. A black/red dragon is nice to have as well, but it is optional. Use the scanner, if that doesn't offend you.
1. Kill the turtle.
1.1 If you have healing spell, all you need is 1 Knight, 1 stack of druids and 1 stack of archmagi. Calm Rage spell is optional - just in case.
1.2. If you don't have healing spell, you need 1 stack of druids, 1 stack of archmagi and 1 additional ranged stack/assassins for extra damage. Have the summoned bears by the druid to tank with magic shield on by the archmagi. Keep an off-tank close to them just in case (a second bear stack, ready to step in front of turtle's head if the first one dies). If you want, you can keep your knight in the squad and use him for that contingency.
NOTE: careful with the demonologists. If their summoned unit goes around the turtle's foot, it will cause the turtle to use the mass attack, which is something you don't want if you want a no-loss victory.
2. Go to the dwarves. Ally and get your troll(s). Shop for stone skin and magic spring. healing isn't that important as long as you have those 2 spells at the ready. If there aren't any, check the human lands as well. You can ally with them as well.
3. Fight the spider. A single troll can drop it down, even on impossible, but it is going to take a long time. Teleport spell would be very useful here, as it will greatly reduce the battle duration (mine was over 250 turns). Try to take as few hits as possible and analyze the spider's movement, so that you can be as close to hitting it as possible.
4. Now you can ally with the orcs and with the elves. Check what units are available. There is a big chance that you'll find some dragons there. Black ones are always preferable, but red ones will do as well.
5. Now analyze. If you have some black/red dragons, do 1-4 bounties (as much as you can, till Glaciera). If not, wait till evening comes (Trolls regenerate each turn), do only 2 bounties and get ready for fight.
6. In any case, it will be evening or close to evening. After the evening time comes, have you 1-2 trolls attack the Toad boss. It is an easy fight, because unlike the spider, you will rarely get surrounded, because the snakes always take a step back to use their attack skill, which gives you plenty of room to get to the Toad after he changes positions. It's much better with Teleport spell, though.
7. Now, you'll be at a respectable level to keep on fighting. Level up the skills to suit the Trolls + Stone Skin + Magic Spring + Teleport type of fighting. Take all quests from human, dwarven, elven and orc castles.
8. Kill K'Tahu. This is going to be a tough and long fight with only 2 trolls available, but that's how it must be done. basically, you are bound to use level 3 stone skin, level 3 magic spring, possibly some magic and/or physical resistance items. Teleport is optional, but once again, it is very recommended. If you don't have it, it's going to take a long, long time to drop K'tahu down.
So, the tactic is as follows: Stone skin the Trolls, cast magic spring the next turn, put them in K'Tahu's weak spot. hack away till he moves. Teleport to his weak spot again and hack. Recast Stone skin and Magic spring to regain mana as necessary. When he moves, port again, rinse and repeat till he's down.
If there is a unit protecting his weak spot, you'll have to waste a few rounds to kill it. There is no way out of this.
9. Get your "reward" from the elves - it consists of more troops, better units, more artifacts, more spells, etc. Buy anything that would be useful, but keep some cash stashed just in case.
10. Now it's time to kill the driller, even if you're below his level. If you found some more trolls, cool. If not, the 1-2 you have will do nicely, just in way too many turns.
The tactic is very simple: Out the Troll directly in front of the driller (middle square) so that he won't spawn droids. have stone skin and magic spring on your trolls and the driller will never be able to kill them. Just be sure you have that on them ALL THE TIME. Level 3 magic spring is enough to keep your mana at maximum. It'll take over 250 rounds with 2 trolls, so be patient.
11. Now that you killed the driller, you have completed 2 quests at once. get your "rewards" from the dwarves and the orcs. Some more trolls are bound to spawn in one of those areas, so buy them all. Buy anything else that looks useful.
12. Now it's Kraken time. It's still evening, so your trolls will make quick work of it. After he's dead, go to the humans and get your reward - once again, more artifacts and more troops.
NOTE: If you have only 2 trolls, this battle can get messy on impossible. There is a very strong and cunning tactic I managed to devise while doing this battle. Put the troll between 2 tentacles, let's say left/middle and keep stone skin and magic spring on them at all times. Drop the left tentacle till it's down to 1 hit to kill it with the simplest spell (like flaming arrow from a scroll). Now drop the middle one to the same state. Port away or try to move away in the direction of the final tentacle. Get between it and the middle one, then kill the stack that's possibly standing in your way to the farthermost hex between the middle/right tentacles. Put your trolls there, so that only a single stack of devilfish can hit them and start hacking at the right and final tentacle. Get it down to 1 hit and when your turn come, KILL IT WITH A SPELL - so that you can put your trolls in the corner hex which the tentacle occupied. This way you can take only 2 hits. Use spells to drop down the other 2 tentacles (this is why I left them at 1-hit) and simply finish off the devilfish. With the trolls regenerating all the time, the battle is in the bag.
13. At this point, you have killed everything up to Gremlion in the arena and completed from 2 to 4 bounties. This is the turning point of the game. Here is when everything changes - you were good till now, now you're going to get evil.
Since you played with minimum bought units and no losses, you should have a sizeable amount of money now. Go to every area: humans, orcs, dwarves, elves and buy any spell (especially Eviln) and/or item you feel like using and any unit you feel like using (for example, droids). Stock up on them and put them in the School of Gloom. Leave no units with you, even in the reserve!
Now it's time to die. Go do a bounty without any troops and die on round 1. Get resurrected in the guild of veterans (the undead) and start shopping for Black Knights. You want as much as possible, along with the Eviln spell and possibly an artifact or two to boost them.
Go visit the lizards now. They'll be willing to ally if you kill metamorph. There is still time to reach him, though.
Go visit the demons (Kaab). They are willing to forget that you allied with the humans if you pay 50k gold and renounce that alliance. Pay the money, the alliance is already renounced since you died and thus joined the veterans guild - the undead.
Buy anything of value, if you have the money, or note the items you will need later on and save money for them.
14. Now it's time to put the wicked Black Knight + Stone Skin + Magic Spring + Eviln combo to good use. Do some bounties and add some more Black Knights as you level up. A single Black Knight stack is all you need for now, technically, but if you want, you can use some droids and/or bone dragons as well.
Save 5k gold to gain entrance to the veteran's guild. Technically, you're not allied with them yet, even though you visited their area. Go to the warrior's guild (the place where you recruit companions) and recruit the paladin - the guild master of the guild of the dark wants a sacrifice, and that "warrior of the light" is just that.
Now you have entrance to the guild. Buy some more black knights, and check out the dragon lair in the main area. Might be something interesting there as well.
15. From this point on the game is in the bag. Beat Gremlion (leave a single friendly gremlin tower, kill gremlion and recover your black knights with evlin), then beat all bounties.
The teleporter mage is easy, leave a ranged stack or a slow moving stack alive and stall till he runs out of mana. Now recover your BK's and all done.
The metamorph will turn all his units into BK's. Big deal. 200 of your BK's can beat 5000 of his. Simply go to the edge of the arena so that only 2 enemies can hack at your BK's, use stone skin + magic spring and you're all set. When you kill a stack or two, port away to ensure some fresh corpses, get to another edge of the arena and make some more corpses. Recover your Black Knights as necessary and you're done.
The necromonger is easy. He'll spawn demons, which might be a bit of a pain, but that also means a lot of corpses for eviln. Stall till he's out of mana, leave a single stack up (preferably imps due to their no retaliation, vampires will do as well), recover your Black Knights and all done.
16. Fill up on Black Knights and with your spare cash either buy some more items, or if you have Neatness, buy all level 4-5 items and break them up for runes. Raise any skill you feel like using (the new warrior skill that adds +3-10% to all resistances is a must even for a mage!) andget ready to slap down Baal - the champion of the arena.
17. Fill up on physical/fire resistance items and go for it. You should have plenty of Black Knights at this point, so the battle should not be that hard. Concentrate on dropping Baal first and use the corpses that appear from counter-attack hits as usual for eviln. It won't be long before he's down.

All done, you just beat the Champion of the Arena campaign.

MY personal observations are that the Paladin and the Mage do better than a warrior, but it will be fun to try all classes - but if you play a warrior, make sure you develop him a little caster-wise. You rage means nothing when you can't use it.

axelle
09-22-2010, 03:59 PM
quick question, if the single black knight strat is so good, why didn't you die at the beginning...

i don't like fighting bosses so i haven't tried this mini-game yet...

DGDobrev
09-22-2010, 05:23 PM
reason 1 - Black Knight strategy works when you have a substantial number of them, in order for eviln to be effenctive.
reason 2 - Eviln may not be available straight away and you'll have to make due with whatever you have - this is why trolls are so good.
reason 3 - Trolls can be a good substitute for good units until this tactic can be employed. For example, if you have Eviln available later on, you'll need to make due with what you have, and trolls are exactly that :)

axelle
09-22-2010, 09:21 PM
thanks.

also, you were saying the scanner still works in this expansion?

DGDobrev
09-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Absolutely. It will show weird lines, but it's all easily understandable :) Just remember that assortment0 means that the troops/items will appear after you do the task of this clan.

axelle
09-22-2010, 09:55 PM
do you know when we can get an index for crossworlds? i heard that many units changed and they added new artifacts too etc.

Zechnophobe
09-22-2010, 10:00 PM
If you play Paladin, you start with inquisitor sword, so you can hire a lot of paladins, if you have access. I had phenomenal success just using those and high physical resist units to take down most bosses without losses.

I didn't even let Gremlion summon towers... or maybe it doesn't in this? I assume he still does.

DGDobrev
09-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I am sorry, but I don't. All I do for now is guess the items and base my strategies mainly on well known units till I get used to the new names and the new assortments of items, troops and whatnot. It will take some time, though...

EDIT: He does all right, Zechno :) You simply never gave him a chance for all I see.

axelle
09-23-2010, 04:58 AM
i really hate boss fights...so i thought i should ask before i try this:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=15806

will this strategy work?

DGDobrev
09-23-2010, 07:16 AM
It should work if you get enough paladins to phantom and resurrect themselves in due time. It is a little dodgy, because it will require you to use up a lot of mana all the time for the phantoms, but in general, if should work.

If you want to use this strategy, go heavy on distortion and order magic so that you can keep your main buffs and spells up at all times. Chaos will not be needed, since you won't need eviln for the black knights tactic.

Here's how I see the fights:
Turtle - 1 knight, stack of archmagi, stack of druids. Cast magic shield on the druids, so that they can survive a single attack without a loss. Summon bears, push them with the archmagi a hex forward, have them run in front of turtle's mouth. Always defend with them till they die. That will give enough time for the knights to take their place. Now, always defend with the knights, bash the turtle with the rest. The basic idea is to win by spending as few gold as possible. That's a cheap win.
Spider - I'm not sure the paladins will be able to ress themselves properly here, and your mana reserve will be low. I'd stil use trolls for this battle, just in case. I've seen a guy do it with royal thorns, but I don't know how it works.
K'Tahu - stone skin + magic spring + teleport in the weak spot should do it. Whenever you take significat damage, phantom the paladins for resurrection.
Kraken - put the paladins in the spot between the tentacles and drop them both to 1-hit. Now get them between the other 2 and drop the final one to 1-hit. How use magic pole axe to kill the right tentacle, take the position in the top right corner (only 2 stack can attack you), use magic pole axe to drop the rest, keep stone skin and magic spring up at all times for mana, phantom the paladins as usual and you should win.
Driller - attack him from the front until he gets into final position (end of the bridge). Let him summon some helpers (mech droids if possible, as they have weak ranged attack), kill the driller, phantom/ress and you should be fine.
Gremlion - easy victory. His mass attack is magic based, and your paladins have plenty of magic resistance, so no worries here. Kill him, ress with phantom, and that should be it.
Baal victory is the same way. Keep stone skin + magic spring up at all times, teleport the paladins into whatever opening you get in front of baal, hack at him, don't mind the summoned troops unless they're blocking your way to him, after he's down, phantom away to recover the losses. If possible, keep 1-2 stacks of imps alive, as they have the no retaliation trait and you can even restore your mana this way through magic spring.

I think that should do it.

axelle
09-24-2010, 02:03 AM
i thought a picture's worth 1000 words...

DGDobrev
09-24-2010, 08:29 AM
That's good, but now it will take some time drop the turtle down if you're on impossible... Those 4x1 archmagi will take quite some time to do it, unless you can back them up with spells and magic spring to replenish mana :)

Still, this is imaginative. Good work.

EDIT: As for the royal thorns tactic, it works if you have a decent spell arsenal and magic spring to replenish mana. Get Hagrid (heals/resurrects thorns - his description is misleading), get royal thorns, keep the royals defending with magic spring on and just bash the spider with spells. I did that with a Paladin + Magic Pole Axe (took ages!), so a mage would have much easier time.

demos
09-24-2010, 09:45 AM
impossible/warrior

Royal Thorns (47) vs K'tahu (fight ended on round 56)

K'tahu and all lizards killed on round 42 (left 1 minor stack brontors),but i waited to resurrect my royal thorns to improve no loss conditon.Hagrid randomly ressc/heal allied plants..

During the fight i used 2 or 3 times "stone skin" spell thats all,mostly haste + convert rage to mana unintentionally ;)

http://yfrog.com/0skthauj

Royal Thorns vs spider

http://yfrog.com/ndspidernj

DGDobrev
09-24-2010, 10:47 AM
How did you get so many royal thorns at this point? max is 4 in dwarven lands, Spider is 2nd battle, so elven lands are not open yet. I haven't seen thorns appearing in human lands, and as a warrior, you don't have a decent sacrifice to create royals from other high-hp level 5 units yet.

Unless Lew Klisan was selling a crapload of royal thorns (which makes this playthrough a snap), I don't see how you could have gotten so many. The school of gloom requires at least 4 arena wins without joining a guild to provide better troops and items.

If Lew is selling royal thorns, then doing the Gloom's task is as easy as it gets. I have never seen the bounty guild to sell royal thorns (just cyclops).

demos
09-24-2010, 11:07 AM
How did you get so many royal thorns at this point? max is 4 in dwarven lands, Spider is 2nd battle, so elven lands are not open yet. I haven't seen thorns appearing in human lands, and as a warrior, you don't have a decent sacrifice to create royals from other high-hp level 5 units yet.

Unless Lew Klisan was selling a crapload of royal thorns (which makes this playthrough a snap), I don't see how you could have gotten so many. The school of gloom requires at least 4 arena wins without joining a guild to provide better troops and items.

If Lew is selling royal thorns, then doing the Gloom's task is as easy as it gets. I have never seen the bounty guild to sell royal thorns (just cyclops).

here is where i get...

http://yfrog.com/myprofgpj

http://yfrog.com/mgimpwarj

http://yfrog.com/2msceneyj

DGDobrev
09-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Amazing :) I would really want to find thorns there as well - if you get any, you will easily do all tasks, including the school of gloom's task, because thorns own any boss up until the Driller and Gremlion. I have a feeling that thorns + stone skin + magic spring + adrenaline + occasional haste spell will actually kill the driller easily as well.

Great setup - that troop setup makes for even easier win that I wrote.

demos
09-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Amazing :) I would really want to find thorns there as well - if you get any, you will easily do all tasks, including the school of gloom's task, because thorns own any boss up until the Driller and Gremlion. I have a feeling that thorns + stone skin + magic spring + adrenaline + occasional haste spell will actually kill the driller easily as well.

i m going to raise the level , i will try "Royal thorn vs champ of the arena"
(i know its crazy):grin:

DGDobrev
09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Keep us posted, that would be fun to know if it works :)

demos
09-24-2010, 01:47 PM

imp/warrior "0 loss"
Royal Thorns(stone skin + magic spring +bloodlust skill+single stack+10% res. from warrior skill + 3% res. from awards+10% res. from hagrid)vs Driller

http://yfrog.com/3udrill5j

http://yfrog.com/61drill4j

http://yfrog.com/5xdrill3j

http://yfrog.com/nfdrill2j

http://yfrog.com/jcdrill1hj

Edit:With some phys. res. stuffs you will get better result...

Royal Thorns vs Gremlion

http://yfrog.com/jqscreen100924024j

http://yfrog.com/m9screen100924025j

Hero screen

http://yfrog.com/3rheroscreenj

axelle
09-24-2010, 09:27 PM
i guess this shows that king thorns are really overpowered in this expansion with that particular companion.

plin500
09-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I just finished playing impossible Paladin with just thorn hunters and thorn warriors. Got the Crown (+100% damage), Hagrid, botany diploma and thats all what i needed. The battle is over about 4-5 turns, ressurection just takes time.

First boss is easy as it gets, spider boss was very time consuming :) used the "magic axe" tactic and from there on, it got a somewhat boring, because thorns are REALLY overpowered with Hagrid and his ress ability - 72-111 thorns in every turn :-P

Finished in day 1, score was 1110 something.

onepiece
09-26-2010, 02:29 AM
Now, if Hagrid was just on OotM, it would be so easy now (seriously overpowered). Just put some fire resist items and they are God-Like

Esteral
10-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Hagid also ress Ents and Ancient Ents.
Ancient Ents have the most HP from all creatures, at lower lvls they make the battles a bit easier.