PDA

View Full Version : Apache Air Assault Thread

trk29
09-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Just saw that this game is coming out on November the 9th.

Psxextreme Preview (http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/7694.html)

And this was found by buggins confirmed choppers.

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-apache-air-assault-184473.phtml

bobbysocks
09-02-2010, 12:41 AM
bad link trk29

trk29
09-02-2010, 02:28 AM
bad link trk29

Fixed, thanks.

Lexandro
09-02-2010, 03:41 AM
Sweet its a 360 game! Im deffo buying it now, I was on the fence before if it was a PC title. Before someone says it, I have a gaming PC and prefer it over a console. However I prefer my 360 for online play as there is nowhere near as many hackers on LIVE as a whole compared to the average PC game.

So expect to see little old me playing it, especially if its got a MP mode.

dkwookie
09-02-2010, 06:52 AM
In the UK that date reads as 11th September. I got very excited for a moment thinking this was out next week. Never mind I look forward to November for this

Dizzy
09-02-2010, 08:45 AM
So expect to see little old me playing it, especially if its got a MP mode.[/QUOTE]

It does !
It should be really good as you can fly the chopper and invite your friend to sit in the gunners seat :)

winny
09-02-2010, 12:25 PM
In the UK that date reads as 11th September. I got very excited for a moment thinking this was out next week. Never mind I look forward to November for this

I wanna fly backseat with you so looking forward to it too..

My £5's looking pretty safe too :)

dkwookie
09-02-2010, 12:41 PM
I wanna fly backseat with you so looking forward to it too..

My £5's looking pretty safe too :)

Yeah the co-op on this is going to be mint.

It's a long way to go yet for that fiver. Now we have offloaded the lazy Brazilian it's all go from now on

FOZ_1983
09-02-2010, 04:21 PM
I absolutely LOVE flying the apache in Bad Company 2 with a friend as a gunner. Between us we can cause alot of damage and we do it properly...

This game will get rid of the arcade style of BC2 and will offer so much more...

I cannot wait for this!! Release date is set as the same as Black Ops though... wont stop me buying it :P

Cheers for the link Trk, kudos to you sir :D

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Coming out the same week as Black Ops. Even if it's a budget title that still seems like a bad idea.

dkwookie
09-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Coming out the same week as Black Ops. Even if it's a budget title that still seems like a bad idea.

Which one is Black Ops? The modern warfare one is not by the same team and the Call Of Duty one has a bounty on it's head from the defence secretary. Either way they both look more of the same that Bad Company does better anyway.

I will be blasting in my chopper that week

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Which one is Black Ops? The modern warfare one is not by the same team and the Call Of Duty one has a bounty on it's head from the defence secretary. Either way they both look more of the same that Bad Company does better anyway.

I will be blasting in my chopper that week

To me it looks like a PC mod of MW2 but I'm sure it will still sell millions. I think less people will be willing to buy two games and the lesser known title will suffer. Maybe some good gameplay trailers the week before release will get the word out to the masses that a helicopter gunship game is coming out on consoles... might work wonders.

Lexandro
09-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Black Ops will suck and suck badly. As far as I am aware its made by Treyarch, who make the crap CoD games.

P-51
09-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Black Ops will suck and suck badly. As far as I am aware its made by Treyarch, who make the crap CoD games.

I think you mean good.

Cant wait for this, though :D

Lexandro
09-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Well if internet chatter is anything to go by, it looks like Apache may see some strong sales. Ive seen a number of sites where people are more interested in it than the other big name flight games, like HAWX2 or the new AC. If even a few of those people follow through it could be the sleeper hit of the year. There is ALWAYS room in a game collection for a damn good chopper game, as many gamers would agree. So if Anton and the boys have done a good job, we could be looking at a big boost to the devs kudos and recognition.

On a more personal level, Ive already noted to a few friends that the game is from the makers of BoP and they are very interested in the product. However like me, they want to play a demo first to get a feel for the way the game plays and its learning curve. Thats a good thing though as they did the same with BoP and were hooked.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-03-2010, 08:02 PM
It better have cockpits! :grin:

The_Goalie_94
09-05-2010, 09:36 PM
You know, im not going to lie, BLACK OPS, if it has ZOMBIES i will buy. They already confirmed some sort of unrealistic, hand held mini-gun thing. So nothing will satisfy me more then mowing down a bunch of ZOMBIES with a MINI-GUN. I would also like to fly APACHES too, but you know, i would like to see ratings and gameplay first. This game seems a little too unannounced.

dkwookie
09-05-2010, 10:45 PM
You know, im not going to lie, BLACK OPS, if it has ZOMBIES i will buy. They already confirmed some sort of unrealistic, hand held mini-gun thing. So nothing will satisfy me more then mowing down a bunch of ZOMBIES with a MINI-GUN. I would also like to fly APACHES too, but you know, i would like to see ratings and gameplay first. This game seems a little too unannounced.

They should put a zombie mode in Apache Assault. Maybe some strimming action like in 28 Weeks Later

Burtonboy05
09-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Yeah I agree Zatoichi but at the same time I'm not sure the COD crowd is going to be interested in a chopper game?? Flight jocks will be all over this before COD.............well heres hoping! :grin:

I gave up on COD after COD4. I'm yet to play COD WAW, COD MW2, and black ops looks like the same crap as all the others so it's not getting my coin. Apache all the way - brings back memories of desert strike on the mega drive or genesis depending where you come from.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah I agree Zatoichi but at the same time I'm not sure the COD crowd is going to be interested in a chopper game?? Flight jocks will be all over this before COD.............well heres hoping! :grin:

I gave up on COD after COD4. I'm yet to play COD WAW, COD MW2, and black ops looks like the same crap as all the others so it's not getting my coin. Apache all the way - brings back memories of desert strike on the mega drive or genesis depending where you come from.

But wasn't Desert Strike massive back then? Almost everyone I knew who had a megadrive got it.

FOZ_1983
09-06-2010, 05:56 PM

I'm part of that COD crowd (i love it) and i can assure you that a fair few will be buying this game, if anything you can thank the "chopper gunner" kill streak for it haha. It lets their imaginations go wild.

Whether or not they like it.... thats another story.

As for the mega drive, it brings back good memories!! Desert strike was a great game. Then onto the PS1 with soviet strike and nuclear strike.

Lexandro
09-06-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm part of that COD crowd (i love it) and i can assure you that a fair few will be buying this game, if anything you can thank the "chopper gunner" kill streak for it haha. It lets their imaginations go wild.

Whether or not they like it.... thats another story.

As for the mega drive, it brings back good memories!! Desert strike was a great game. Then onto the PS1 with soviet strike and nuclear strike.

You guys know you can still play Desert Strike now right? There an emulator called "Gens" that works perfectly and allows you to play old megadrive/genesis roms.

Robotic Pope
09-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I still play Nuclear Strike on my PS1. Great game, last couple of missions are damn difficult though and I hate the actor who plays the villan.

FOZ_1983
09-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I still play Nuclear Strike on my PS1. Great game, last couple of missions are damn difficult though and I hate the actor who plays the villan.

Ah nuclear strike!!

I used to love flying the squadron of Hueys

dkwookie
09-11-2010, 01:11 PM
I just looked at those new screens and spotted the Hind. Any news on if that's flyable? This and Ace Combat I am dying to play.

Robotic Pope
09-11-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm sure the developers will compelled be to make the Hind flyable, it will no doubt be twice as powerful, 3 times more manouverable and 6 times more deadly than the Apache. The German Eurocopter Tiger will also be flyable in the game but will have no cockpit ;)

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Hind owns all.
http://i53.tinypic.com/ngvoew.jpg

Buggins
09-17-2010, 05:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hck6RL_Asn0

Looks friggin amazing. Love that cockpit.

bobbysocks
09-17-2010, 06:42 AM
that's why i pre-ordered... think its going to be a freakin blast!

winny
09-17-2010, 07:38 AM
I like the look of this.. Can't wait to get some online co-op going.

dkwookie
09-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Destructable buildings, Black Hawks, Reaper UAVs, Daisy Cutters...that video made my day.

I can't wait for this. My most anticipated game of the year

Steiner
09-17-2010, 02:48 PM
This title is looking fantastic, can't wait to see how it handles with my Ace Edge HOTAS.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Cockpits and FLIR! :grin:

http://i55.tinypic.com/5bnqj7.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/141wfk.jpg

Though this shot looks too good to be true:
http://i51.tinypic.com/jra0k3.jpg

bobbysocks
09-17-2010, 06:41 PM
wow, those 2 top shots look like ones i have seen at work from real combat footage. looks like that part is as realistic as they can make it.

dkwookie
09-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Surprised nobody else spotted the gap in the Market for a helicopter game. It's been a long time since Thunderhawk, Thunderblade and Gunship on console. Only Gunship was a serious Copter game at that.
Regardless of Call Of Duty I think this will do very well. BOP came on the tail of Blazing Angels 1 and 2 and even though we know BOP is vastly superior the general public had a choice of WW2 air combat.

winny
09-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Cockpits and FLIR! :grin:

Though this shot looks too good to be true:
http://i51.tinypic.com/jra0k3.jpg

Good spot.. I didn't notice the debris coming through the windscreen.

BRIGGBOY
09-18-2010, 12:29 AM
now ive seen the trailer i will probably buy it as it doesnt look to arcadey. but not untill i know it is a fully completed game or i will still be flying a spit

Robotic Pope
09-18-2010, 05:14 PM
:shock: :o ......and now I pre-order!

Buggins
09-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Thought I'd keep posting info here due to there being no other suitable forum on the net. Confirmed choppers include the Apache AH-64D Longbow, Apache AH-1, Apache AH-64X Experimental Prototype, MQ-8B Fire Scout, and Mi-35 Hind. This is a direct quote from the article, I'm hoping he got his facts wrong and means the Ah-1 Cobra rather than the AgustaWestland Apache AH mk1. But a flyable Hind? Excellent news.

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-apache-air-assault-184473.phtml

trk29
09-22-2010, 01:51 AM
Please keep all topics about this game in one thread.

New video Gamescom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNCIQ2TnBu4

QBlackDeathQ
09-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Please keep all topics about this game in one thread.

New video Gamescom.

Well I know I am going to get it but i have a bad feeling that the multiplayer is going to be hum a bit dry on the vs side:confused:.

bobbysocks
09-22-2010, 08:04 AM
trk29, we will. but after it's ( apache air assault) is released it will need a forum of its own...there will be a lot of BoP players there for awhile. then WE, the faithful, will come back here cos helos are helos but REAL men fly those glorious fixed wing fighters.. BoP will always be the home for those soles who have the deepest reverence OUR past. Honestly, this a game that shall prevail..until a suitable and more noble predecessor unseats it from it's throne .. and we the faithful, the virtual "Few"...patiently wait.

The_Goalie_94
09-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Who are you to say real men only fly fixed wings? I mean forward flight is great and all, but it takes a man to fly 360 degree's. XD

trk29
09-22-2010, 11:48 AM
trk29, we will. but after it's ( apache air assault) is released it will need a forum of its own...there will be a lot of BoP players there for awhile. then WE, the faithful, will come back here cos helos are helos but REAL men fly those glorious fixed wing fighters.. BoP will always be the home for those soles who have the deepest reverence OUR past. Honestly, this a game that shall prevail..until a suitable and more noble predecessor unseats it from it's throne .. and we the faithful, the virtual "Few"...patiently wait.

god bless the queen mom and the stars and stripes

I'm guessing Activision will dedicate a forum. Has anyone checked if it is on yuplay?

bobbysocks
09-22-2010, 02:11 PM
its a joke goalie.... when he's not playing in the sandbox i work with an apache pilot ( and when he's home i bust his stones saying the same thing). hence, why i was impressed with the night vision camera clips above. they are eerily spot on to the clips he has shown us. i am interested in his take on this game but i havent seen him in weeks. in real life helos are extremely difficult to fly...you have a whole other dimension to deal with. and no trk i havent seen anything on activision, yuplay, or anywhere else...which is interesting.

dkwookie
09-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I wonder if this game will finish what Red Dead started and kill BoP online. Last few times I have been on it's been pretty dead. I hope not because I see this as a different beast altogether

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Well I know I am going to get it but i have a bad feeling that the multiplayer is going to be hum a bit dry on the vs side:confused:.

Ground Attack, Capture the LZ, and Ground Strike will be where it's at. Team Death Match with gunships wouldn't be my cup of tea.

The Co-op in the press release is described as "a local co-op campaign mode". Does that exclude online Co-Op? I guess we have to wait for more details.

Robotic Pope
09-22-2010, 04:50 PM

+1

Irishmandkg
09-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Been away from gaming news for a while....hope this game is good. By the way anyone else excited for BFBC2 Vietnam....Vietnam was the best battlefield on PC. Pumped for it.

Damn college and not enough money for games! :evil:

bobbysocks
09-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I wonder if this game will finish what Red Dead started and kill BoP online. Last few times I have been on it's been pretty dead. I hope not because I see this as a different beast altogether

ya know dk, i wonder how many got their appetites wetted with BoP and have since made the move to pc play instead,,,wings of prey and 1946. if i had the right machine i would be tempted.

dkwookie
09-22-2010, 06:56 PM
ya know dk, i wonder how many got their appetites wetted with BoP and have since made the move to pc play instead,,,wings of prey and 1946. if i had the right machine i would be tempted.

Yeah know what you mean Bobby. I tried WoP but couldn't get into it like console version. PC take too much effort to get everthing running and online. I prefer my gaming from my couch.

Did anyone watch the interview on the vid posted earlier. The guy mentioned the countries are fictitious. I hated that in Ace Combat series and disappointed this followed that route. I know it avoids controversy but everyone knows it's meant to be Somalia and Afganistan so why bother

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-22-2010, 08:14 PM
I really hope he's wrong. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_5_DqNWmr8

bobbysocks
09-23-2010, 06:28 AM
hey dk, if you can, i will be on xbox noonish my time, 5ish yours. its my day off so i wake up at like the crack of noon. on your way home from work buy a six pack ( ok that is a yank term)....get a couple of pints to go. you can kick a mere mortal's "behind" and we will laugh our "behinds" off and you smoke me relentlessly. if today isnt good for you then friday or saturday...i am off all 3 this week. anyone else want in on this?? feel free to join. i do not honestly care if i win or lose....i just love flying...and i know there are more players like me... & THAT, my friends, is why this game will honestly never drift into obscurity. let me know......

winny
09-23-2010, 09:06 AM
More apache details here (http://www.destructoid.com/preview-apache-air-assault-184473.phtml)

dkwookie
09-23-2010, 09:45 AM
More apache details here (http://www.destructoid.com/preview-apache-air-assault-184473.phtml)

Not sure this guy knows much about helicopters:
"The helicopters themselves are all Apache brand choppers: the Apache AH-64D Longbow, Apache AH-1, Apache AH-64X Experimental Prototype, MQ-8B Fire Scout, and Mi-35 Hind"

Bobby, I had to unhook my Xbox at the weekend but I will rig it back up tomorrow and try catch you online for a few flights. I hasn't seen any forum regulars on XBL when I have been on. Must be wrong time of day

winny
09-23-2010, 10:06 AM
"The helicopters themselves are all Apache brand choppers: the Apache AH-64D Longbow, Apache AH-1, Apache AH-64X Experimental Prototype, MQ-8B Fire Scout, and Mi-35 Hind"

I noticed.. And the 'helicopters have a wider turning circle than fixed wing' statement is also a bit of a give away.

dkwookie
09-23-2010, 11:00 AM
I really hope he's wrong. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_5_DqNWmr8

$50 is £29.99. That's what I paid for BoP on release date and it deffo didn't suck. It's cheaper because it's a nich title and the release window is packed with other games.

Yeah Winny I had some fun reading that article. When he started talking about Apaches going nearly upside down I had a chuckle. Apart from that there is confirmation about the same difficulty settings as BoP which is great. Lots of scope to work through them all.
Glad there is a Hind in the game but I would swap that UAV fire scout for a little bird or Cobra in a heartbeat. I doubt very much that will be flyable in multiplayer

Buggins
09-23-2010, 12:48 PM

Umm.. I already posted this here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=16408&page=4

trk29, is it really necessary to join these threads? Not exactly a thriving forum is it? The destructoid article had heaps of news and could have warranted its own thread. Just saying..

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-23-2010, 03:24 PM

That kind of puts everything in the review into question. Can we really fly the Hind, Cobra etc. or was he just flying a different Apache and mixed up the names.

$50 is £29.99. That's what I paid for BoP on release date and it deffo didn't suck. It's cheaper because it's a nich title and the release window is packed with other games.

It's cheaper because it's part of the Activision Minneapolis series of budget titles which have a tendency to reflect their cheapness in game quality. BoP was by no means a budget title.

trk29
09-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Umm.. I already posted this here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=16408&page=4

trk29, is it really necessary to join these threads? Not exactly a thriving forum is it? The destructoid article had heaps of news and could have warranted its own thread. Just saying..

I joined them here into one thread to keep everything about this game in one thread. I just don't want everyone creating a new thread about this game everytime news comes out about it. So yes it was necessary.

Doing this will makes things easier when someone wants to find information out about it.

I put the link you provided into the first post of this thread.

Or if you like I could just move every thread to "other topics" like I am supposed to do since it doesn't pertain to BOP. Just saying...

QBlackDeathQ
09-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I joined them here into one thread to keep everything about this game in one thread. I just don't want everyone creating a new thread about this game everytime news comes out about it. So yes it was necessary.

Doing this will makes things easier when someone wants to find information out about it.

I put the link you provided into the first post of this thread.

Or if you like I could just move every thread to "other topics" like I am supposed to do since it doesn't pertain to BOP. Just saying...

can i use my thrustmaster hotas x? or am i going to get thrusted when i pop in the game and go wtf no flight stick support?

trk29
09-23-2010, 08:56 PM
can i use my thrustmaster hotas x? or am i going to get thrusted when i pop in the game and go wtf no flight stick support?

My first guess would be since it is Gaijin that is making the game I would say they will give us flight stick support. But since we know nothing about the game and there is no website or dedicated forum its hard to say for sure. I am curious to know if it runs off of the same engine as BOP and maybe they have put some of the features in that we asked for in BOP (crossing fingers).

What is weird is none of that has been done yet and the game is coming out in under two months.

trk29
09-25-2010, 10:04 AM
This is offtopic but I was looking around and noticed 1C published a game called "Whirlwind of Vietnam" Developer is G5 Software and there isn't a forum for this game but just thought I would let you guys know this incase you wanted to try a helicopter sim out that I didn't know was out there.

Whirlwind of Vietnam (http://yuplay.com/story.php?title=Whirlwind-Vietnam-1)

This is a few years old. PC only
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvhksY-5mY&feature=related

trk29
09-27-2010, 12:06 AM
I know we know nothing about this game coming out. But I do remember Anton saying that in the sequal to BOP that they were going to look at different things, and one of them was using the playstation eye for headtracking, since we don't even know if they are making a console sequal lets hope that they have implemented this feature into Apache Air Assault.

Would be killer to track targets on the ground using your head like a real apache would.

Korsakov829
09-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Hind owns all.
http://i53.tinypic.com/ngvoew.jpg

The world needs Mi-24 Hind: Birds of Prey.

The_Goalie_94
09-27-2010, 02:12 AM
The world needs Mi-24 Hind: Birds of Prey.

Hind is not as good as you think. It needs a runway to take off most of the time.

Korsakov829
09-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Hind is not as good as you think. It needs a runway to take off most of the time.

I used to drop from them in Afghanistan, not very comfortable in those chairs. The way the Mi-24 is, is like a flying BMP-3. They are old, but I hope they are replaced by the Ka-50.

The_Goalie_94
09-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Yes, good choppers, overall its historical importance is great, but it lack in performance in terms of being a helicopter. Nothing a squad of blackhawks and apaches cant do better.

All russian stuff is really made uncomfertable. But it works, it works well. THats all that really matters.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Yes, good choppers, overall its historical importance is great, but it lack in performance in terms of being a helicopter. Nothing a squad of blackhawks and apaches cant do better.

It's faster than a Blackhawk and an Apache. You'd need a Blackhawk and an Apache just to do the job of one Hind.

flynlion
09-28-2010, 09:43 PM
I used to drop from them in Afghanistan, not very comfortable in those chairs. The way the Mi-24 is, is like a flying BMP-3. They are old, but I hope they are replaced by the Ka-50.

You were (are?) Russian airborne? Wow, never know who you might meet on the internet. My uncle was US 101st airborne and would drop from Hueys in Vietnam. You guys have way more guts than I do, glad you're still in one piece.

Korsakov829
10-02-2010, 01:13 AM
You were (are?) Russian airborne? Wow, never know who you might meet on the internet. My uncle was US 101st airborne and would drop from Hueys in Vietnam. You guys have way more guts than I do, glad you're still in one piece.

I've been in the Afghanistan war, the first and second Chechen war, and the South Ossetia war. I'm in the Special Forces, so I've dropped out of the Mi-24 quite a few times.

flynlion
10-04-2010, 02:34 AM
I've been in the Afghanistan war, the first and second Chechen war, and the South Ossetia war. I'm in the Special Forces, so I've dropped out of the Mi-24 quite a few times.

Far Out. Like I said, never know who you'll meet on the internet. I've flown some interesting birds in my time, but never been shot at. Strictly civillian aviation for me. Stay low and zig-zaggin Korsakov.

trk29
10-05-2010, 07:43 PM
So I emailed Activision and asked them since this game is so close to release why they don't have a website or forum up yet and if they planned on doing either, here is their response.

Thank you for contacting Activision Technical Support.

In regards to future game releases and information we cannot answer any questions until the title has been released. This includes releases for websites and forums on unreleased titles as well.

For an estimated timeframe of release dates, please visit our Investors' page at http://investor.activision.com.
Or visit any other media outlet that covers videogame news.

So I went to this link and I couldn't even find anything about the game in question. It's weird to me that they haven't even started to advertise this game yet unless they know it is a niche game and won't even sell that much anyway. Thought I would just let you guys know.

Robotic Pope
10-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks for trying Trk. It really is odd how they arn't even doing a small advertisment scheeme. I would have thought this game would be very marketable to especialy the American gamers who have enjoyed the US helicopters in the Modern Warefare's and Bad Company's and want more helo action. Activison obviously has had to pay next to nothing to get the game made (as the developers Daijin only had to modify the BoP game engine and we know how good that is) if they spent some money advertising it as a big game they would no doubt be raking in the $$$.

As it is now, the mass of gamers won't even know about this title let alone buy it, leading to another 505 style let down by Activision.

bobbysocks
10-05-2010, 08:15 PM
guess that means no xbox patch again!!!

i posted a couple times on yu-play about the absense of a forum and am pretty much drawing the same conclusion about it being a niche game. not to throw even a few $$ into ads?? i expected more from activision. oh well, i will still have some fun with it if....hopefully.

Robotic Pope
10-05-2010, 08:32 PM
guess that means no xbox patch again!!!

i posted a couple times on yu-play about the absense of a forum and am pretty much drawing the same conclusion about it being a niche game. not to throw even a few $$ into ads?? i expected more from activision. oh well, i will still have some fun with it if....hopefully.

I just can't understand it, I mean are Activision that dumb?
IL-2 BoP is in a niche subject, WW2 fighters are for the majority of gamers (young Americans) uninteresting. Apache helicopters on the other hand isn't a niche subject, gamers interest in military helicopters is probably at an all time high thanks to other recent games. Activison could so easily tap into this interest and get waaaay more sales than BoP managed but apparently they are blind to this and see it as a budget knock off game. :confused::confused::confused:

bobbysocks
10-05-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm with you, pope. it actually boggles the mind. with all the modern warfare games being pretty popular and this one with potentially a great engine and graphics behind it...to play it off like this i cant fathom. if its worth putting out, its worth throwing a few $ behind it to make it big. unless they put out the initial PR and were guaging the potential sales by the response they got. maybe we will all be surprised and they will have some kick off campaign when its released but i'm not holding my breath. :confused:

trk29
10-05-2010, 09:35 PM
I know exactly what you guys mean. Modern Warfare is where the money has been the past few years and this game is modern so, maybe thats why they are publishing it. I still don't see why there isn't a website or something out there that shows this games existence. I really don't think it will even have a chance because of COD,MOH, and GT5 coming out not a very good month to release it in, and to top it off they don't even let a interested group of people know anything about what I asked.

I said in my e-mail that a bunch of us on this forum have been waiting for news.

Irishmandkg
10-06-2010, 12:11 AM
http://tgs.gamespot.com/video/6276268/

Looks okay....think I'll be sticking to MOH or Black Ops, most likely Black Ops since no EA game works with my dorm internet.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-07-2010, 01:11 AM
"It did not take long before we witnessed a Black Hawk Down scenario where the Apache chopper was tasked to keep the downed soldiers protected before a transport arrived. Enabling an infrared scope made it that much easier to pick out approaching enemies, who were sprouting from all over the map." (http://www.examiner.com/gaming-lifestyle-in-national/apache-air-assault-xbox-360-ps3-impressions)

Buggins
10-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Heads up: Apache is not being released in Australia or New Zealand. I've ordered mine from ebay.

@TRK29. It's spelt 'warfare'.

Mage_016
10-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Here is a good preview: www.destructoid.com/preview-apache-air-assault-184473.phtml

For me there was lots of new information of this game. Sounds good, and there is a veteran difficulty.

trk29
10-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Heads up: Apache is not being released in Australia or New Zealand. I've ordered mine from ebay.

@TRK29. It's spelt 'warfare'.

Thanks. Just a little typo.:-P

Here is a good preview: www.destructoid.com/preview-apache-air-assault-184473.phtml

For me there was lots of new information of this game. Sounds good, and there is a veteran difficulty.

Hey it's been a while. Thanks buddy. But that is in the first post, found by Buggins.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Looks like there's a press event (http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=105993) in the UK on Monday where the game will be shown. Hopefully we'll get more news then.

Robotic Pope
10-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Yes for me too. I'm looking forward to the co-op stuff, something BoP really missed.

dkwookie
10-08-2010, 04:17 PM
There is an opportunity to attend a press event on October 11th here if anyone in or near London. You would need to write an article about if for that site though! Looks like a great opportunity though. Devs and a real Apache pilot will be there:

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=105993

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Boxart:
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/boxshot_uk_large.jpg

dkwookie
10-11-2010, 07:46 PM
That big press event happened today in London so expect a lot more coverage and details in the next few days

trk29
10-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Sweet like the box art.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weefz/5072908791/in/photostream/

Well the game was there but I can't find anything except this photo. It looks like they had a playable demo there for Xbox.

MACADEMIC
10-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Boxart:
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/boxshot_uk_large.jpg

Great boxart! Looking forward!

MAC

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-12-2010, 02:47 PM
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jeuxvideo.fr%2Fjeux%2 Fapache-air-assault%2Fpreview-test-apache-air-assault.html&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/Gaming/03635588-photo-apache-air-assault.jpghttp://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/Gaming/03635604-photo-apache-air-assault.jpghttp://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/Gaming/03635600-photo-apache-air-assault.jpghttp://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/Gaming/03635594-photo-apache-air-assault.jpghttp://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/Gaming/03635586-photo-apache-air-assault.jpghttp://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/Gaming/03635608-photo-apache-air-assault.jpghttp://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/Gaming/03635614-photo-apache-air-assault.jpghttp://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/Gaming/03635598-photo-apache-air-assault.jpghttp://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/Gaming/03635592-photo-apache-air-assault.jpghttp://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/Gaming/03635590-photo-apache-air-assault.jpg

trk29
10-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Wow those screens are looking quite good. That first one of the Flir pic looks good as well.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Wow those screens are looking quite good. That first one of the Flir pic looks good as well.

I'm hoping the first is DTV because, at least from that distance, it doesn't look like any of the vehicles are giving off a heat signature.

Still, they're remarkably close to the real thing:
DTV
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/vlcsnap-57770.jpg
FLIR in daylight
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/vlcsnap-58902.jpg

bobbysocks
10-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Holy Smokes, man...that is pretty darn realisitc. compare those game shots to these real vids. ***warning contains real humans being shot**

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3wio1_insurgent-takedown_news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQmBoKNI5NM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNNYfVAPGzU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEmQPYoA3wc&feature=related

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Another French preview (http://www.gameblog.fr/news_18538_apache-air-assault-nos-impressions?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter). (Either they're fast or there's some country-based media embargo?)

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/Apache_Multi_Edit012.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/Apache_Multi_Edit004.jpg

bobbysocks
10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
was looking for more news reports or articles about apache air assult and ran across this game coming out. Homefront. looks more like a CoD type game but from what i read it sounds like you will be able to fly an apache ( or an osprey..or drive a tank) in some of the campaigns or multiplayer. the premise and trailer look interesting....something to keep an eye on.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/homefront/news.html?sid=6280858&tag=previews;img;1&mode=previews

Robotic Pope
10-12-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm hoping the first is DTV because, at least from that distance, it doesn't look like any of the vehicles are giving off a heat signature.

Still, they're remarkably close to the real thing:
DTV
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/vlcsnap-57770.jpg
FLIR in daylight
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/tagemandbagem/vlcsnap-58902.jpg

Well it should look slighty different anyway
The Apache in the screen shot has M-TADS (Modernised Target Aquisition and Designation Sight) , The real pictures are of the old outdated TADS system used by the AH64A-D pre 2005. You can tell the difference by the reticle. The MTADS has little bars at the edge of the + and also has an x when the laser designator is active, the old TADS hud has neither of these and has a I shaped thing with a secondary + in dots. You can compare the videos on this thread too, the 'gun cam 7' is TADS and the 'Apache kills insurgence' is MTADS.

bizerkatron
10-13-2010, 06:20 AM
hey guys,

first post on here, but been playing the il-2 games including BOP for a long while now and was glad to hear this game is being released, looks like that preview over on destructoid gave away the list of flyable aircraft except the person who wrote it knows nothing about aircraft and referred to them as variants of the ah-64. this is what they said "Apache AH-64D Longbow, Apache AH-1, Apache AH-64X Experimental Prototype, MQ-8B Fire Scout, and Mi-35 Hind" as flyable aircraft. and judging by one of those screenshots with the Mi-24 looking aircraft (see Mi-35), i'd say that the list could reasonably reflect whats to be expected. Oh and the firescout UAV? maybe some SAWX 2 style missions? (hope not). I can't believe its not being released in Australia, that really sucks.

dkwookie
10-13-2010, 08:09 AM
These new screens confirmed for me that this game has the best environmental graphics in a flight sim. The trees and scrubs look fantastic. I really can't wait for this to come out for the single player campaign. I am looking forward to hearing about multiplayer options. Strike or CTA would work well with choppers but not sure about dogfighting with them unless you can set up a match without missiles. Guns only would be great. In fact guns only, sim mode with no target indicators and some tall buildings would mean a great cat and mouse match. Hovering down low in a street waiting for opponent to fly past then hit them with the cannon

bizerkatron
10-13-2010, 11:07 AM
i'm one of those unlucky people who lives in rural australia and unfortunatly has a horrible internet connection, practically meaning that any kind of air combat, or for that matter, any game is practically unplayable online due to lag issues or being dropped from a game, so i'm hoping the single player really offers a diverse and flexible set of missions, ie, i will be able to select the aircrafts war load, and infact, what aircraft i would like to pilot for a particullar mission.

Buggins
10-13-2010, 12:34 PM
New UK review, the consultant on the game is none other than Ed Macy, this is getting better and better.

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/10/13/apache-air-assault-review/

trk29
10-13-2010, 02:15 PM
These new screens confirmed for me that this game has the best environmental graphics in a flight sim. The trees and scrubs look fantastic. I really can't wait for this to come out for the single player campaign. I am looking forward to hearing about multiplayer options. Strike or CTA would work well with choppers but not sure about dogfighting with them unless you can set up a match without missiles. Guns only would be great. In fact guns only, sim mode with no target indicators and some tall buildings would mean a great cat and mouse match. Hovering down low in a street waiting for opponent to fly past then hit them with the cannon

Heck ya Blue Thunder comes to mind :) That would be fun.

BRIGGBOY
10-13-2010, 03:03 PM
sim mode with no target indicators

and cockpit view only in sim online games would be great please gajin.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-13-2010, 03:37 PM
New UK review, the consultant on the game is none other than Ed Macy, this is getting better and better.

They reveal you can dip in and out of FLIR guncam at will, which is going to be awesome. I feared some of that footage from the trailer was an on-rails segment when I first saw it.

Robotic Pope
10-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Wow, coincidently I ordered his book Apache just last night to get more background atmosphere.

winny
10-13-2010, 05:45 PM
I read it not long ago.. If AAA is good enough for Ed Macy then I'm sold.

Robotic Pope
10-13-2010, 08:04 PM
I read it not long ago.. If AAA is good enough for Ed Macy then I'm sold.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to reading it, and the game just keeps sounding more and more promising.

bobbysocks
10-14-2010, 04:15 PM
i see where yuplay has set up a read only forum for apache air assault. at present it doesnt contain anything BUT hopefully it will in the next couple days. keep the faith, brothers...

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Good preview (http://www.gaminglives.com/2010/10/15/apache-air-assault-preview/) apart from the "9mm minigun".

dkwookie
10-15-2010, 03:16 PM
"This mission primarily focused on the eradication of ground targets and having to get up close and personal with the terrain, something new for Gaijin Entertainment, as their previous title IL-2 Sturmovik – Birds of Prey primarily concerned itself with aerial combat."

He obviously never played a sim dogfight in BoP :-)

winny
10-15-2010, 08:08 PM
The bit about Ed Macy's interesting...

"While he initially turned down the opportunity to support and consult on Apache: Air Assault, he then changed his mind when he saw what the game had achieved and what it was capable of, and began to tell us how realistic the game was and what it was capable of. The helicopters in the game performed, controlled and acted authentically and the graphical capabilities are better than what Boeing is able to achieve on their simulators, and so pledged his full support for the game"

Either they paid him a shit load of cash, or, this game could be pretty f'in good.

sirbutchford
10-15-2010, 08:22 PM
This is the newest article I have seen !!! It is written by someone whom has played the game and talked to the developers.

Apache: Air Assault Preview
Friday, October 15th, 2010
by Edward

Get to the choppa!
Being the first all-helicopter combat sim on a home console can’t possibly be easy. First of all, you’re going into a potentially untested market for home consoles, and doing it during the blockbuster holiday season too. With this in mind, I was initially hesitant about Apache: Air Assault. After all, I haven’t had many good previous experiences with realistic simulator games, or many experiences. I find that those kind of games always deliver a difficult learning curve with a heavy emphasis on the simulation part over the part where it’s supposed to be a god-damn game that I’m meant to have fun playing. To that end, the makers of the game consulted heavily with a decorated previous Apache pilot in order to make sure the experience was authentic and guaranteed that it’d a realistic simulation. I worried that it was on track to becoming one of those games that I could never see the fun in and never enjoy because they were too serious and unforgiving in their pursuit of making sure you got the most realistic experience possible.

At the risk of spoiling the rest of this article, it turns out that if my hesitant words were able to physically manifest themselves, I’d be forced to guzzle them down with a side order of humble pie.

Waiting for the presentation we were treated to what were later revealed to be parts of the symphony-created soundtrack for the game. The selection that was played kept very much in line with other action and war games around, helping to set the mood in tandem with the camouflage, ammo crates and gas masks placed around the room. We were soon led into the room where the Activision representatives began their presentation of the game and various sections of what seemed to be a final build of the game were shown off to us. While they were setting up the first mission, we were told of the game being the all-important first “all helicopter combat simulation”, featuring three different versions of Apache combat helicopter, and the story present in the game would be told through pre-rendered and in-game cut scenes and voice-overs. Picking a mission towards the middle of the sixteen mission strong campaign, the objective was to destroy the power plant owned by the game’s World Terrorist Front. Flying to the objective was a great point to show us the different viewpoints possible when flying your Apache.

The first view is your typical third person view, allowing you to see the helicopter and the immediate environment around you as well as an alternate viewpoint which will put the camera at the very front of the Apache and give the player an unencumbered view. However, the other viewpoints were the most interesting by a long shot, as they provide the player with visually authentic cockpit views, showing all the different machinery and technology on display from two different pilots in the Apache. We were also assured that the battlefields in each mission would be “live” and that you’d be able to fly unrestricted as far as you wanted. The left stick controls the main rotor as well as your direction while the right stick moves the tail rotor allowing you to rotate the Apache as well as your aiming reticule. This mission primarily focused on the eradication of ground targets and having to get up close and personal with the terrain, something new for Gaijin Entertainment, as their previous title IL-2 Sturmovik – Birds of Prey primarily concerned itself with aerial combat. Nevertheless, the terrain looked great filled with little details (like the trees falling over if caught in explosions) and trailed off into the horizon as the Apache flew towards the power plant and began to lay waste on the building and terrorists below.

After completing the objective another revealed itself as it was explained each mission would have multiple objectives, with this one requiring a more subtle touch than rockets. Flying towards the ground units, the Apache then switched views to the Mini-gunner at the side of the Apache, complete with a 9mm Mini-gun. If anyone has played either Modern Warfare game, then the best way I can describe this is by saying it’s like the missions where you have to provide aerial support, only with a mini-gun, and somehow way cooler. After dispatching the enemies below, the view returned to the outside of the Apache where the right engine was smoking and had been destroyed by enemy fire while he’d been stationary. Throughout each mission, you’ll receive persistent damage, rather than regenerating health, and individual parts of the Apache will become damaged or broken depending on where you receive damage, with the motors, weapons and even your radar potentially becoming useless if you’re not careful. The destroyed engine then made the helicopter a lot harder to fly for the remainder of his mission, and in fact he soon botched his landing onto terrain because of this and lost a life. On the difficulty he had selected he was given five lives, but the harder difficulties provide you with less (and the hardest only one), thus the difficulty of keeping the one Apache running throughout the entire mission becomes crucial. On the prospect of destroying a distant target, the demonstrator instead resorts to using heat-seeking hellfires and, upon firing, the camera follows the last hellfire (done by holding in the missile fire button) to its destination as it explodes.

Upon completing the objective, a Mission Summary presents itself with all of the various statistics of targets destroyed, lives lost, and the usual. Also presented are your efficiency, your mission cost, your score and final ranking. The mission cost keeps a tally of every missile and bullet you fire during the mission as well as the Apaches you waste and then gives you a final summary of how much the mission cost the military, with you ideally spending as little as you can to improve your efficiency and your ranking, with the relatively short mission time of ten minutes and scoring system providing the re-playability incentive that’ll keep you hooked when the campaign is finished.

Skipping towards one of the finishing missions of the campaign, we’re whisked away to another of the game’s fictional locations, this time by an oil rig. Starting off with aerial combat versus enemy Apaches, it’s explained how the AI reacts to you and how you play throughout the game. For example, if you’re overly reliant on missiles, the enemies will be keenly aware of this, demonstrated to us by the fact that firing missiles at the enemy ‘copters were ineffective due to the enemy anticipating it and releasing more flares to avoid destruction. Eventually besting his opponents, the second objective, wherein you were expected to provide covering support for allies storming the oil rig, began. This ended up looking more difficult than said as the enemies began bringing out RPGs in drones to put an end to you, but you’re given sufficient warning of this as RPG, Missile and Terrain warnings will flash up on your HUD to warn you of any approaching danger, meaning you have to get a good balance of carefully eliminating foes, avoiding committing friendly fire and avoiding your imminent destruction too. Teasing us by quitting the mission to avoid spoiling the end, we were then shown the other two modes that will support the Campaign.

Squad Operations are extra missions outside of the campaign that you can play either solo or co-operative online or offline. The difficulty is tweaked towards multiple players though, so while you can play solo, it’ll be much more difficult than when playing with three friends. Upon completing these missions and campaign missions, you can be rewarded with decals for your Apache to customise it and differentiate it amongst your friends, demonstrated by the demonstrator’s Apache sporting angry eyes and teeth to intimidate his enemies. The missions will carry an emphasis on co-operation and strategy with friends to maximise your enjoyment and to help carry the realism of it, as if everyone decides to do their own thing it’ll become much more difficult to play and enjoy.

There are a dozen squad-ops to play through though, meaning there’ll be a lot to play long after you’ve beaten the game’s campaign. Free Flight is a customisable death-match you can also play alone or with friends, with different arenas to fly in, customisable enemies, weather and Apache. Taking an opportunity to quickly show off this part of the game, the Apache was launched off in the rain from the viewpoint of the front pilot, showing off the rain as it splashed against the windshield. This looks to be the mode to enjoy yourself without the constraints of missions or score attacks and could also be a valuable way to get used to the higher difficulty levels before attempting the special operations and campaign and trying to gain the maximum rankings.

Now that all the modes of the game had been demonstrated, the talk then ended with some words by the decorated Apache pilot who had been consulted for the game to make sure that it was realistic and authentic to the experience. He spoke of his experiences being one of the first ever Apache pilots, his work in Afghanistan and that many of his experiences are now covered in his book “Apache” which was critically well received, and that he also creates simulations and builds missions for Boeing, running off their supercomputers to help train their pilots. While he initially turned down the opportunity to support and consult on Apache: Air Assault, he then changed his mind when he saw what the game had achieved and what it was capable of, and began to tell us how realistic the game was and what it was capable of. The helicopters in the game performed, controlled and acted authentically and the graphical capabilities are better than what Boeing is able to achieve on their simulators, and so pledged his full support for the game, ending the talk with a video showing us footage of real Apaches whilst comparing the game favourably to the footage, allowing us to finally get some hands-on with the game ourselves.

I left the talks having changed my preconceptions about the game and ended up being incredibly impressed by what I’d seen of it alone, but I was worried that when it then came to playing the game I’d be let down or find it incredibly difficult to play and not enjoy the experience. As the earlier spoiler hinted, it’s a game I had to leave my preconceptions at the door for, because I ended up really enjoying the game despite my reservations. The first mission is a tutorial that helps instruct you on how to effectively fly the Apache, change views, use the gunner, change missiles and everything, so that when you’re thrown into the deep end straight away in mission two, you’re more than capable of holding your own. Earlier in this preview I mentioned the dual-use of the right stick, and you may have thought that it didn’t seem like that’d work very effectively at all, especially when you’re trying to aim at moving targets, but it actually works incredibly well and without issue. In fact, all the controls work brilliantly and felt very intuitive despite being very complex. The Apache handled well and controlling and using it felt like they had spent a lot of work making it feel realistic without making it overly difficult or boring. Granted, the first mission helps you to learn all you need, there’s still a lot more at play, and will be more difficult on harder difficulties. Indeed, in the second mission attempting it on harder difficulties meant that the amount of missiles, rockets and mini-gun ammo you had was restricted and would run out if you weren’t careful with it. On the training difficulty I had though, you would have to wait a limited amount of time for them to restore themselves. The mini-gunning also feels a lot more fun than I thought it would, and I found myself enjoying it more than the similar missions in Call of Duty, especially as the use of it was optional and you could use whatever methods you wanted to do to complete the mission.

That’s what helps make the game seem so fun and unique even though you’re restricted to an Apache the entire game. Despite that, you’re allowed to use whatever the Apache gives you in whatever way you deem fit to complete the mission at hand, and that was further hammered home for me by the other people playing the game. Everyone was attempting the same mission in entirely different ways, trying out different tactics and playing the game in entirely different ways and coming out with different experiences to me, with those differences amplified further on more realistic difficulty levels. The game makes an amazing balance of simulation and fun and, despite only being allowed to play the first two missions of the game, all those doubts and worries I had beforehand melted away and made me feel incredibly foolish to ever doubt it. My only worry is that the campaign may come across as a bit short, but this is quickly quelled when I remember that there’s the more realistic options, the scoring, Special Operations with friends, and that the game will be entirely what you make of it, so there’s ultimately as much fun in it as you’re willing to let yourself have in it.

As one of the representatives explained to me, the game is very important as it’s the first all-helicopter combat simulation on home consoles and is catering to an audience who may not have been around before and, with the help of modern realistic games becoming incredibly popular, Apache: Air Assault is coming out at a good time. While other games may have helicopter combat in theirs, they won’t play anywhere near as well as in this game. It promises to be an incredibly unique experience in a crowded November and something that will hopefully shine out above the rest come release.

As I left, the final words of the veteran pilot and why he’s choosing to support the game echoed in my head. “This game is as close as you’ll ever get to a real Apache”. Apache: Air Assault promises to be an incredible simulation of helicopter combat, and above all else, fun. Don’t miss out, Soldier.

Apache: Air Assault is due out on November 16th and will be available for Xbox360, PS3 and PC.

trk29
10-16-2010, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the post with review.
One thing I'm surprised that Gaijin didn't put in is a mission builder so you could keep on playing. I'm not saying it's not in but the person that did the review didn't mention it and if it was in I'm sure he would have.

This game is looking like it is shaping up nicely can't wait.

sirbutchford
10-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Oct 16th, 2010 | By Debbie "Weefz" Timmins | Category: Previews
Have you been waiting for someone to do for combat helicopter sims what Gran Turismo did for racing games? Yeah, us neither but it looks like Gaijin Entertainment have done just that, with Apache Air Assault coming out next month.

I got my grubby paws into a hands-on preview earlier this week. You know what? It’s not half bad. When you play it on numpty-mode, that is. Gaijin have gone to great lengths to make this game a decent simulation of helicopter combat and if you trust Ed Macy’s word for it, they’ve done a cracking job. Okay, so maybe a real Apache helicopter cockpit has 227 switches where an Xbox controller has all of 13. And maybe going through the pre-flight checks to start a real helicopter from cold takes thirty minutes and more than a thousand button pushes.

Still, Macy is a former Apache pilot for the British military, designs the combat missions for the Boeing Apache simulator and has published a book called Apache about his time in Helmand, Afghanistan… I’m inclined to believe him when he says that this is as good as game simulation will get.

“I got contacted, asking would I like to support Apache Air Assault? And I had a look at it and my gut instinct was ‘There’s no way I’m gonna do this.’” Macy told us. “If you try to take that [flight sim level of detail] into a battlefield situation you’re going to need to do what Boeing did – put four great big computers together, wire it up so it all works and then falls over a few times loading because it’s so complex to try and do. The flip side is, you’ve then got games which are your Hollywood aircraft and your Hollywood pilot. And they can do anything… you just keep shooting or being hit and you keep flying. And they don’t really work neither.”

“To be honest, I didn’t think I’d be getting up here to support it. Then I had a look at it and actually.. it is a halfway house. But it’s more than that. It expands right and left. So when I looked at it, I found that actually it is like the Apache, it does fly like the Apache.”

However… it takes £3 million and 3 years of intensive training to turn a grunt into a combat-qualified Apache helicopter pilot. I spent £3.60 on Tube tickets and played the game for 20 minutes, so I am truly shit at piloting helicopters. Your left analogue stick controls the main rotor and your right does the elevation and the rear rotor, so flying takes a lot of concentration. Numpty mode, or “Training” mode – to use its proper title – is fine. You can jam those sticks forward to peg it for the enemy without too much worry yet still be at risk of crashing. We’re not talking child-friendly mode here, just… playable for a complete newbie. Other options are “Realistic” which I couldn’t keep in the air for more than 20 seconds at a stretch, and “Veteran”, the truly hardcore simulation where you have a single helicopter (i.e. life) per mission and must return to base if you need to refuel or resupply your ammo.

In true military fashion, everything you do during a mission is logged. When you’re successful, you get presented with a nice set of stats, one of which is the total mission cost. I managed to rack up a bill of £308,630 in just under 10 minutes. On the other hand, my mission efficiency was “Unbelievable” and post-mission evaluation “Perfect!” so can’t complain, right? Given that the game supposedly tracks every bullet fired, it would have been nice for the stats to be a little more detailed – perhaps that’s saved for the more difficult modes.

Call me stupid if you like but a key thing I hadn’t realised before playing this was that helicopter combat missions are very different from flight sims. You can hover, for a start. Where aeroplane combat games are basically aerial dogfights coupled with avoiding mountains, helicopter missions are much more about intimate support of the ground troops. You’ll dogfight other helicopters but you’ll also find yourself hovering alongside oil rigs helping infantry take out their opponents, or defending a base from waves of incoming vehicles. It makes for a good mix – with 16 missions in the single-player campaign, there should be plenty of variety to keep you entertained.

One nice touch is the post-mission replay. Gaijin Entertainment have painstakingly replicated each version of the Apache helicopter’s cockpit so that you can play in super-serious mode by only using the in-cockpit view, view-obstructing frames and all. It’s good fun to watch the mission replay and flip through the other camera angles to see how awesome (or terrible) your performance was from the outside. Could have done with a fast-forward option during replays but there is the option to save your action to disk as well. With any luck you can extract them from your console to watch or edit on a computer.

I was very happy to hear that the game will include a local co-op mode where you can play with a friend in the co-pilot’s seat acting as your gunner. There’s also an set of online co-op missons specifically designed for multiple players, as well as the option to customise certain battles.

If you have the slightest interest in warfare simulations or flying then have a look at Apache Air Assault when it comes out for PC and consoles in November.

trk29
10-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Could have done with a fast-forward option during replays but there is the option to save your action to disk as well.
Good news, we can save our replays. Something they didn't do with BOP.

dkwookie
10-16-2010, 01:43 PM
My anticipation for this game has hit fever pitch level. Tempted to book a week off work when this comes out.

Sim mode sounds great, land at base to refuel and rearm.

The Few
10-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Sim mode sounds great, land at base to refuel and rearm.

That's what caught my eye the most as well. Looks like it could be really awesome. I just hope the devs get a chance to properly support the game after its release.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-16-2010, 04:59 PM
On-line co-op with pilot and co-pilot would be nicer. But I guess we can't have everything.

flynlion
10-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Even though I have some seriously mixed emotions about anything involving the Apache (long story), I must admit that I'm starting to look forward to this game. I just hope they got the flight physics right.

MACADEMIC
10-16-2010, 05:29 PM
On-line co-op with pilot and co-pilot would be nicer. But I guess we can't have everything.

Thought that's what it is. Pilot and gunner, online. No?

MAC

dkwookie
10-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Thought that's what it is. Pilot and gunner, online. No?

MAC

No it seems that co-op option is only available offline with two players on the same console. The online co-op appears to be one player per Apache. Disapointment for me this but not the end of the world

MACADEMIC
10-16-2010, 05:42 PM
No it seems that co-op option is only available offline with two players on the same console. The online co-op appears to be one player per Apache. Disapointment for me this but not the end of the world

Hm, would have seemed to me a logical option to include. Perhaps some technical issues?

MAC

trk29
10-17-2010, 04:26 AM
I was also thinking the pilot and co-pilot were online. Oh well I'm sure it will be a blast.

FOZ_1983
10-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Just looking to pre order online with GAME.CO.UK and they always had it available to pre order but with no info about it, not even box art.

Well they now have a summary, product info and box art. Price £32. Looks good thus far. But..... for every good thing theirs a downside.

Couldnt see this on here (sorry if it is) but the summary mentions the multiplayer is only 4 players.

Anyone got any more info on this?

Im assuming it just a typo and infact its roughly designed for 12 players :)

dkwookie
10-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Holy sh1t you are right Foz. Found this new preview on Gamesradar:
http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/apache-air-assault/preview/apache-air-assault-first-look/a-20101018174851218074/g-20101018174649812007

"While there is no versus multiplayer component, there is substantial cooperative content. First, the solo missions can be played in local two-player co-op with one player as the pilot and one as the gunner. It takes some careful play for the pilot to get positioning for the gunner and to hold the chopper steady. We saw some of it in action and it definitely is a fresh take on standard co-op, making the player feel like part of a real two-man team."

I feel like I just spawn crashed and bomb kill cheated in one go

trk29
10-19-2010, 11:40 AM
"While there is no versus multiplayer component,

Surely they wouldn't leave versus out.... That would be the reason in personalizing your chopper.

dkwookie
10-19-2010, 11:50 AM
If it's true there is no competitive online multiplayer it makes our gripes about German cockpits pale in comparison. I can't believe they could launch this game without online versus, its like stepping back 6 years

winny
10-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Surely they wouldn't leave versus out.... That would be the reason in personalizing your chopper.

Bummer.

Gilly
10-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Holy sh1t you are right Foz. Found this new preview on Gamesradar:
http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/apache-air-assault/preview/apache-air-assault-first-look/a-20101018174851218074/g-20101018174649812007

"While there is no versus multiplayer component, there is substantial cooperative content. First, the solo missions can be played in local two-player co-op with one player as the pilot and one as the gunner. It takes some careful play for the pilot to get positioning for the gunner and to hold the chopper steady. We saw some of it in action and it definitely is a fresh take on standard co-op, making the player feel like part of a real two-man team."

I feel like I just spawn crashed and bomb kill cheated in one go

Ouch, not good! Despite fact that online can add so much to a game- point in question is IL2- it seems very short sighted to have not at least have some
form of online mulitplayer. That has just deminished somewhat my desire to buy this. What a pity I'll never get to see someone autorotating downwards before they hellfire themselves upon touching down....

Edit: having just looked on Amazon they advertise the following:
" Online Helicopter Combat: Join other helicopter enthusiasts as you go directly against them in competitive online modes such as Team Battle, Capture the LZ and Strike. If that's not enough online players can form online squadrons with up to four Apaches fighting together in unison"

heres hoping....

FOZ_1983
10-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Ouch, not good! Despite fact that online can add so much to a game- point in question is IL2- it seems very short sighted to have not at least have some
form of online mulitplayer. That has just deminished somewhat my desire to buy this. What a pity I'll never get to see someone autorotating downwards before they hellfire themselves upon touching down....

" Online Helicopter Combat: Join other helicopter enthusiasts as you go directly against them in competitive online modes such as Team Battle, Capture the LZ and Strike. If that's not enough online players can form online squadrons with up to four Apaches fighting together in unison"heres hoping....

This is what i remember seeing, online game modes such as capture the LZ, i just automatically assumed it was designed for upto 12 players. But maybe just 4 apaches could possbily be more "realistic"? hmmm. We'll find out shortly

The online squadron it speaks off maybe refers to the co op section? they just choose to word it this way to make it sound really appealing!! Does that make sense?

Im sure it will be numerous players, it makes sense to anyway. Its early days yet so info is probably sketchy at best :) im sure the guys at gaijen know what MP is all about and will implement some sort of mass MP game mode. Lets not worry just yet eh. Time will tell.

FOZ_1983
10-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Looking at that review winny it mentions no MP modes at all other than the cop op, though it DOES mention this -

"And finally, there’s also a Free Flight mode where you can customize your own sandbox, choosing the enemies and weather and then just going for ultra-destruction".

This is mentioned in the MP area of the review, but if im honest with myself it sounds like it could just be an advanced version of the single player on IL2 where you can set your own mission parameters up.

Shadowcorp
10-19-2010, 01:12 PM
not a strong contender for my money i got to say .even less so now it seems there will be no multiplayer. I'll just wait for BfBc 3 for some helicopter carnage

trk29
10-19-2010, 01:25 PM
" Online Helicopter Combat: Join other helicopter enthusiasts as you go directly against them in competitive online modes such as Team Battle, Capture the LZ and Strike. If that's not enough online players can form online squadrons with up to four Apaches fighting together in unison"

heres hoping....

Yep this is what I remember reading... I wouldn't sweat it guys I'm sure there is a Multiplayer.

"And finally, there’s also a Free Flight mode where you can customize your own sandbox, choosing the enemies and weather and then just going for ultra-destruction".

Thanks for finding that. That is one thing I posted earlier that I hope they do. This would mean never ending gameplay with a simple mission builder which BOP really needed.

Funny how some of this stuff we asked for in BOP and Anton was listening. It looks like he is applying what we wanted to this game. "Mission builder, adding decals to the chopper" just two of them many things :)

winny
10-19-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a DM/TB with 4 a side, but I might have made it up.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-19-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a DM/TB with 4 a side, but I might have made it up.

"There will also be support for online multiplayer matches of Team Deathmatch, Ground Attack, Capture the LZ, and Ground Strike. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/activision-announces-apache-air-assault)"

dkwookie
10-19-2010, 03:23 PM

I remember that too, and capture the LZ as well. Damned if I can find the articles now.
If there is no versus I hope the co-op missions have friendly fire on option for the cannons. I am sure we can sort out something that way but i think this is all a misunderstanding by Gamesradar

bobbysocks
10-19-2010, 04:26 PM
i believe you are limited IF you want to have 2 players...a pilot and a gunner per copter. but online play was 1 person per machine..you didnt have the option of a crew of 2.

dkwookie
10-19-2010, 07:59 PM
not a strong contender for my money i got to say .even less so now it seems there will be no multiplayer. I'll just wait for BfBc 3 for some helicopter carnage

The new medal of honor game has a great apache level. You are front seat with no control over the chopper but it's an amazing ride. At one point you hover and go into Flir and it's just like that YouTube vid Bobby posted. Almost feel sorry for the poor guys after you fire the cannon. A second or so later they are vaporized. Worth £35 just for that one level for me

The Few
10-19-2010, 08:11 PM
It's really nice to see that they are implementing some of the things into Apache Air Assault that people on the forum recommended for BOP (especially the mission editor :grin:) Makes me feel good that these devs have taken feedback from the forum and gives me hope that maybe someday they will make a sequel to BOP that lives up to what I had wished for out of the original, not that I don't love the game as is, it is really the only PS3 game I play but there is certainly room for improvement and maybe Apache Air Assault will provide some insight into what can be expected out of a future installment to the franchise. I know I will purchase just to support Gaijin, but with my real game passion being WWII flight sims maybe I will just tape a pic of a spitfire cockpit my tv ;).

Korsakov829
10-19-2010, 08:58 PM
The new medal of honor game has a great apache level. You are front seat with no control over the chopper but it's an amazing ride. At one point you hover and go into Flir and it's just like that YouTube vid Bobby posted. Almost feel sorry for the poor guys after you fire the cannon. A second or so later they are vaporized. Worth £35 just for that one level for me

Well thats just what any cannon does. Check out a ship mounted 30mm gatling gun. Anybody who can afford the ammo for it would put it on the top of his list.

sirbutchford
10-19-2010, 09:18 PM
'Apache: Air Assault' (ALL) Gets Release Date - New Screens
by Rainier on Aug. 30, 2010 @ 1:34 p.m. PDT
Apache: Air Assault is a helicopter combat game, where players control a variety of lethal Apache attack helicopters outfitted with cutting-edge military weaponry. The goal in Apache: Air Assault is to prevent terrorist attacks by raining down destruction from above in the world’s most volatile warzones.
Apache: Air Assault features more than 16 multi-stage missions involving air and ground strike operations off the coast of Africa, the mountains of the Middle East and the jungles of Central America, each meticulously created using high resolution map data from real-world satellite photography. Apache helicopters are some of the most sophisticated combat aircraft on the planet - the player gets to fly multiple variations of them, each with their own extreme firepower and highly-detailed damage modelling.

The game can be played based on the player’s tastes - Arcade Mode allows players to easily pick up the controls and jump right into the combat. The Realistic mode showcases the real depth of the title, where the dedication to realism and precision shines through. The local Co-op Campaign Mode lets two players team up in the same Apache with one as the pilot and the other as the co-pilot in a joint effort for a truly authentic combat flight experience. For those that want to go even further, Apache: Air Assault includes competitive online multiplayer matches such as Team Deathmatch, Ground Attack, Capture the LZ, and Ground Strike. http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/8/30/news/76540/

sirbutchford
10-19-2010, 09:39 PM
News2:56 PM on 9/21/2010 by Jim "txshurricane" McLaughlin

Co-Optimers have been vocal on both sides of a raging Apache: Air Assault debate - should the game allow each player their own chopper, or only as pilot/gunner combinations? Okay...it's not really a raging debate...not much of a debate at all... And yet developer Gaijin Entertainment has answered the call nonetheless.

This November up to four players will be able to fly their own Apache-branded helicopter in 13 unique online-only co-op missions. For couch co-op fans, splitscreen support for the gunner seat is available in the 16 single-player campaign missions. It's an odd combination of online/offline and campaign/separate modes, but we'll take it.

DH1979
10-20-2010, 09:36 PM
I think its safe to say this game will defo have online versus mode, jus watched the gamescon apache air assault interview on you tube & he says up up to 8 people can battle it out (Oh yea). Plus the games running in the bck ground, in the menu screen & clearly says versus mode amongst others. Cant wait.

FOZ_1983
10-20-2010, 09:49 PM
I think its safe to say this game will defo have online versus mode, jus watched the gamescon apache air assault interview on you tube & he says up up to 8 people can battle it out (Oh yea). Plus the games running in the bck ground, in the menu screen & clearly says versus mode amongst others. Cant wait.

trk29
10-20-2010, 11:13 PM
I wonder why he just says "In Europe"?

FOZ_1983
10-20-2010, 11:20 PM
I wonder why he just says "In Europe"?

Erm.....

thought you knew? its a Europe only release, means they spend less on distribution etc and see how they go from their, maybe release it in America in a year or so depending on sales.

Your in Europe anyway aren't you so its all good? feel for those poor souls in USA/Canada :(

I joke by the way, its released everywhere. It mentions Europe because thats where this press briefing was held.

bobbysocks
10-20-2010, 11:25 PM
IIRC its released in europe for PC. i think the emphasis was it was made for consoles. so they will be sold everywhere for xbox and ps3 but the PC only users in the west will have to wait?

dkwookie
10-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Is it seriously not getting a release in North America? Seems crazy to do that to me. PS3 games are region free so imports for enthusiasts but it's not going to help the widespread uptake of the game. With this, the uncertainty over multiplayer and going up against Call Of Duty:Slapped Together In 12 Months Edition I can see some poor sales ahead.
I still can't wait personally and hoping my pre order arrives a couple of days early

Edit: I see now it's the PC version not gettin NA release

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-22-2010, 12:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvLEaFYbSJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3enHz7QOZIY

trk29
10-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Wow it looks good thanks for the post. The ground looks really good close up too.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Wow it looks good thanks for the post. The ground looks really good close up too.

The thermal cam looks fantastic too. I'm really hoping for a mission editor now.

Also, one of the crew must be British judging from the dialogue. Ed Macy playable character?!

Robotic Pope
10-22-2010, 03:25 AM
Looks amazing, i'm loving the cockpits, thats definatly how i'm gonna play it, starting on realistic and switching to vet mode as soon as I can.
That guy playing the game though was terrible and no doubt it was training mode lol. His gunnery skills truely sucked, how many rounds did he use to kill that pickup at the end of the first vid lol.

dkwookie
10-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Looks exactly how I wanted it to
Only issue I see is when he switched to gunner the AI just kept the Apache stationary. He even said I am taking fire I will have to switch back to pilot. This is why we NEED co op in same chopper. The petition starts here

Gilly
10-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Looks really nice, most probably invest now that GT5's been put back again. That said the undead rise in red dead next week so maybe end up in that!

dkwookie
10-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Zombie Donkeys? Beats phantom sheep any day of the week

P-51
10-22-2010, 03:06 PM
I have a friend in the industry that might be able to clear some stuff up. This is a big MIGHT though.

So, I put it to you, Apache fans, what would you like to know about the game. (Within reason of course, doubt they will answer anything about the last mission or whether there will be DLC, for example).

So, line up a few questions!

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I have a friend in the industry that might be able to clear some stuff up. This is a big MIGHT though.

So, I put it to you, Apache fans, what would you like to know about the game. (Within reason of course, doubt they will answer anything about the last mission or whether there will be DLC, for example).

Is there
a mission editor
can you free roam the map and engage dynamic targets
what's the maximum altitude you can achieve
are there fly-by camera views in the replays

P-51
10-22-2010, 06:13 PM

Just a bump! (sorry) Dont want people to miss out!

I'll be sending it off sometime this evening..

dkwookie
10-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Ok here are my questions

Is the Hind really playable

Is there a black hawk down style mission in the Somalia set levels

Can you paint a target from cover with the longbow rotor mounted aray

In multiplayer versus can you set a guns only match

Are there any towns in the game with tall buidlings for some street level cat and mouse in multiplayer.

Cheers mate

P-51
10-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Right, I have sent the first batch off. Do post any more questions and I'll see if I can send them on a heading towards the Devs!

sirbutchford
10-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Right, I have sent the first batch off. Do post any more questions and I'll see if I can send them on a heading towards the Devs!

I would like to know if my Saitek AV8R-02 flight stick will work with the game, or the new Cyborg stick for xbox . Thanks alot for asking the questions to the Dev's.

sirbutchford
10-22-2010, 09:49 PM
http://www.looki.de/apache_air_assault_unser_exklusives_video_intervie w_mit_ed_macy_n84300.html

winny
10-22-2010, 10:16 PM
http://www.looki.de/apache_air_assault_unser_exklusives_video_intervie w_mit_ed_macy_n84300.html

The man makes a lot of sense, looks very good. Exciting!

trk29
10-23-2010, 01:06 AM
I wonder if this game will have a story behind it like BOP with the different pilots and such. Also I am glad that there will be a Veteran mode and I am assuming that the Apache will take damage so if we get one copter per game I wonder if we will have to perforum maintenance on it.

QBlackDeathQ
10-23-2010, 01:43 AM
OK, the fact that this game does not support online co-op pilot/gunner multiplayer really kills me. I think the prospect of having this option available really sold many people interested in the flight sim genre on purchasing this title (well at least for me it did). If anyone has any lines of communication with developers can you please ask them if this option could possibly be available via DLC. I would Pay $20.00 for this option as I think it would give this title tremendous re-playablilty value. As well as boost profit margins. $50.00 for title $20.00 for online co-op pilot/gunner multiplayer + leaderboards.:-P

trk29
10-23-2010, 02:38 AM
This would be a really great feature. The only way we have contact with the devs is to ask this question on the yuplay forum http://forum.yuplay.com/
So let your voice be heard. The apache thread is not open yet but you could very easily ask in the BOP thread since someone there started a topic about Apache Air Assault. Letting Anton know our wants earlier the better.

dkwookie
10-23-2010, 10:32 AM
OK, the fact that this game does not support online co-op pilot/gunner multiplayer really kills me. I think the prospect of having this option available really sold many people interested in the flight sim genre on purchasing this title (well at least for me it did). If anyone has any lines of communication with developers can you please ask them if this option could possibly be available via DLC. I would Pay $20.00 for this option as I think it would give this title tremendous re-playablilty value. As well as boost profit margins. $50.00 for title $20.00 for online co-op pilot/gunner multiplayer + leaderboards.:-P

Totally agree. If Bad Company 2 can do it, where choppers play a relatively small role, then surely a dedicated helicopter game can do it.

Problem is it's a core game mechanic rather than a new map or vehicle so I can't see it getting DLC enabled at any point. Maybe one for the Apache 2 wishlist thread!

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-23-2010, 03:26 PM
The four player co-op still sounds great. Hopefully they open up the PC version for user made co-op missions.

Steiner
10-23-2010, 04:57 PM

I'll see your twenty and raise you a fiver.:cool:

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-27-2010, 04:05 PM
http://www.apache-game.com/

Robotic Pope
10-27-2010, 04:17 PM
What?? Activison finally got off their arse and made an Apache website?

bobbysocks
10-27-2010, 04:36 PM
yep...AND the forum on yuplay is open as well.

you can fly an A-10 thunderbolt ( warthog )...oh..now i am stoked! that would make for some awesome online combat games!

Robotic Pope
10-27-2010, 05:18 PM
yep...AND the forum on yuplay is open as well.

you can fly an A-10 thunderbolt ( warthog )...oh..now i am stoked! that would make for some awesome online combat games!

Will it be flyable with cockpit and everything??? really hope so. It looks amazing.

http://i52.tinypic.com/s2zek4.jpg

bobbysocks
10-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Will it be flyable with cockpit and everything??? really hope so. It looks amazing.

http://i52.tinypic.com/s2zek4.jpg

god i certainly hope so! way in the back of my mind i was thinking it would been cool if it would have been incorporated into the game but figured there was no stinking way. i about fell over when i saw it on the list. can you imagine the low level hide and seek dogfights? sweet!

Robotic Pope
10-27-2010, 05:59 PM
lol this has now got me praying for an AV8B or Harrier GR.7/9

bobbysocks
10-27-2010, 06:16 PM
hope they have add on a/c like the p47 and ta152 in BoP. i just really hope they dont F this up...

FOZ_1983
10-27-2010, 06:28 PM
I cant see the A10 being flyable in game to be honest (sorry guys), after all its a heli sim so wouldnt really fit in. Im guessing you can possibly fly other helicopters and call in an A10 airstrike perhaps? but the flying physics between helicopter and plane would be to much effort to put into the game if that makes sense? I just think it will stay as helicopters only.

Can you imagine online, a blackhawk v A10!!

hahaha

On a lighter note, its good to see on the official website under "aircraft" the apache you fly is the british version :D (or one of many you fly)

Robotic Pope
10-27-2010, 07:09 PM
I cant see the A10 being flyable in game to be honest (sorry guys), after all its a heli sim so wouldnt really fit in. Im guessing you can possibly fly other helicopters and call in an A10 airstrike perhaps? but the flying physics between helicopter and plane would be to much effort to put into the game if that makes sense? I just think it will stay as helicopters only.

Can you imagine online, a blackhawk v A10!!

hahaha

On a lighter note, its good to see on the official website under "aircraft" the apache you fly is the british version :D (or one of many you fly)

Don't forget flying physics for planes already existed from BoP. Stick a couple of jet engines into the Il-2 and you'd get a reasonably good A-10 or Su-25 model. Take the He-162, give it a modern engine, add a function to switch to helicopter flight physics, and you have a Harrier ;):grin:

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-27-2010, 07:29 PM
I think people are setting their hopes way too high if they think an A-10 will be flyable in this. None of the media so far has even said other helos, apart from Apache variants, are playable let alone a fixedwing jet.

I think the most we can hope for is Blackhawk/Hind/Ka 50 either patched in or as DLC.

Korsakov829
10-27-2010, 07:35 PM
The Mi-35 is listed in the aircraft list. Its an export version, so I wouldn't feel comfortable flying it ever.

Robotic Pope
10-27-2010, 07:53 PM
I think people are setting their hopes way too high if they think an A-10 will be flyable in this. None of the media so far has even said other helos, apart from Apache variants, are playable let alone a fixedwing jet.

I think the most we can hope for is Blackhawk/Hind/Ka 50 either patched in or as DLC.

Haha yes you're probably right. Although Its fun to voice ones hopes even if they not very likley to happen. No ones saying that they will be dissapointed if their hopes don't come true.

The Mi-35 is listed in the aircraft list. Its an export version, so I wouldn't feel comfortable flying it ever.

Huh? why? Its still russian, its just a more advanced version of the Mi-24D.

Thats like me saying I'm not comfortable flying the P-51D in BoP just because its not in RAF colours and isn't called the Mustang Mk.IV

bobbysocks
10-27-2010, 08:12 PM
there is a whole lot of news in russia about this but nothing so far in the west.. hey kors can you translate some of those for us?

from a german release today.."Somewhat disappointing, however, that only a single helicopter model may be flown, but at least in various modifications."

FOZ_1983
10-27-2010, 08:26 PM
there is a whole lot of news in russia about this but nothing so far in the west.. hey kors can you translate some of those for us?

from a german release today.."Somewhat disappointing, however, that only a single helicopter model may be flown, but at least in various modifications."

Thats proof of how ridiculous reviewers are!! Fancy writing something so stupid when its clearly obvious the game is evolved around the apache helicopter!! Idiocy.

Its silly things like that which makes me never listen to ANY review what so ever unless it comes from someone i know who has spent more than 30 mins playing a game :)

I for one will be getting this game no matter what, its one of my most anticipated title releases this year :D

Korsakov829
10-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Anything exported from the U.S.S.R won't have everything in it like the original.
Well, only one helicopter.. Let me know if I can paint a Russian flag on it.

Its being published by Activision. Big let down.

Robotic Pope
10-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Thats proof of how ridiculous reviewers are!! Fancy writing something so stupid when its clearly obvious the game is evolved around the apache helicopter!! Idiocy.

Its silly things like that which makes me never listen to ANY review what so ever unless it comes from someone i know who has spent more than 30 mins playing a game :)

I for one will be getting this game no matter what, its one of my most anticipated title releases this year :D

Well strickly speaking the Apache air Assault name is the series name just like Il-2 sturmovik and how many planes does that have? If they did fill AAA full of different aircraft it probably would probably still be called the same thing.

Its still possible that the A10 is flyable only in multiplayer and free flight after being unlocked. No reviewer is going to do enough to unlock aircraft. Remember how obscure the BoP unlocks are, we didn't have a clue before the unlock list came about. Gaijin could be keeping a good few aircraft a secret for now.

bobbysocks
10-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Its still possible that the A10 is flyable only in multiplayer and free flight after being unlocked. No reviewer is going to do enough to unlock aircraft. Remember how obscure the BoP unlocks are, we didn't have a clue before the unlock list came about. Gaijin could be keeping a good few aircraft a secret for now.

that is what i am thinking or hoping for. in BoP missions you dont get to pick the a/c but in mp you do. i am going to enjoy playing it no matter what...having additional a/c like the a10 would like icing...with sprinkles.

Robotic Pope
10-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Anything exported from the U.S.S.R won't have everything in it like the original.
Well, only one helicopter.. Let me know if I can paint a Russian flag on it.

Its being published by Activision. Big let down.

Export versions are often more advanced than the "Home" version. It may not have the original systems but they will have been replaced by better ones.
Mil and a few other Corperations have been upgrading alot of countries Mi-35s with Mi-28 systems (uprated engines, FLIR , NVG cockpits, modern rocket and missile systems). Meaning a very good Mi-35 is a far more capable aircraft than a lot of the old Hind D's that the russians have and more than a match for an Apache Longbow.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Just in case anyone isn't aware of this excellent new series Frontlines: Battle Machines (http://www.yourdiscovery.com/web/frontline-battle-machines/episode-guide/), episode 5 will have some Apache content. Hopefully as much as the Chinook in the last one.

Buggins
10-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Hell, we need to know if the listed aircraft are flyable or not, can someone send a tweet perhaps? I don't use Twitter..

trk29
10-28-2010, 03:49 AM
I believe they will answer on the yuplay forum. One thing I am wondering about is the ability to fire weapons in multiplayer. Judging by the screens I wonder in order to use your gun, rockets, or missles are you going to have to change to the gunner seat. The pictures on the site doesn't show any way to target enemies.
The game looks great though and I can't wait to see some more video. I wouldn't expect to fly the A-10 though, numerous people have talked about just flying variations of the Apache, but I hope Gaijin surprises us.:-P

trk29
10-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Here are some quick quotes from the yuplay site Anton & Todace were answering some questions this morning.
Some good news and some bad news.

Anton is red and Todace is blue

Apache Air Assault (http://forum.yuplay.com/index.php?showforum=20)

(trk291 @ Oct 28 2010, 11:43 AM)
Anton can you answer if the game will have head tracking for PS3 version via pseye?

Not this time :(
We have draft implementation of it, but it still is not good enough for release - and of course it was not in day of submission.

This next one sounds like there is no MP I hope not but this is the developer.
I tried to ask Todace about Multiplayer before he left but he didn't reply, maybe he will reply later. I asked again because Anton's reply earlier was unclear to me.

(RawKryptonite @ Oct 28 2010, 05:40 AM)
Couple of questions:
1-Was MP dropped from the game? Earlier reports mentioned the same MP game modes as Wings of Prey/Birds of Prey, plus "Ground Attack". The last article I saw, plus the above description talk about co-op, but no MP.

I can't tell for gossips. I know some of them were produced by publisher's PR team, but we even not communicate with them directly (as example, some of earlier screenshots were taken from high-pitch document :))

2-Will the pc version be available in the US? Maybe a couple of months after the console release like with WOP? (I'm in for both versions ;) )

Only in digital, as far as I know.
All retail rights belongs to Activision, and as far as I know again. they are going to cell PC version in Europe only. But I can be easily wrong.

(Robotic_Pope @ Oct 27 2010, 05:53 PM)
Yes, this game keeps looking better and better. Will there be any of the developers posting here answering any questions we have?

We'll try. But we are really very busy.

We know you had problems with your previous publisher, I hope everything goes really well with Activison this time and that the game does really well too. :)
As you can imagine, deal with Activision wasn't signed right before announcement of the game - so we haven't learned our lessons that time yet :(
So, as example, we still don't have any rights to make title updates, even at our own expences.
However, let's hope it everything will be OK :)

(trk291 @ Oct 28 2010, 01:00 PM)
Thanks for the quick answers Anton.

One other thing I was curious about was will there be a free flight mode where you can just fly around without engaging enemies, and will there be a mission editor, or quick mission builder for the game for re-playability.
Just too early to answer for PC version :). Please, wait.

And definetly not for console versions.

I didn't understand this I think he might have gotten his reply to the wrong person. Todace replied to me it is below.

Will game support flight sticks?

The game is supporting certain flight sticks officially, and PS3 version supports in addition to that some PC sticks - unofficially.

Please note, that the game is not THAT hardcore simulation like Birds of Prey in Simulation mode was. Of course, it is still not Jungle Strike or BFBC2 helicopter mode, but we have made some assists, engine power is a bit increased.
The game is more about combat, than landing/taking-off.

(Desode @ Oct 28 2010, 08:32 AM)
Hands down, THIS has got to be answered.

Gaijin, has had to have told Activision of their experience with BOP on console.

The # 1 thing asked on the 505 (Crap Publisher) forums was about flight stick support.

I have preorderd a copy of this on both the 360 and the ps3 , because I don't know which to go with.

In BOP,,,,, PC flight stick support was added to the Ps3 via patch and That brought a lot of Sim fans to the ps3.

Did you guys learn anything from that ? or is Activision completely telling you what your able to do ?

As you can imagine, deal was sign long time ago.
There will not be _custom_ PC stick support on PS3 - we were limited by publisher.
However, some sticks are un-officially supported (you can plug and play with them).

Dev Todace
No custom mapping in consoles version (not because of our intent)
But:
1. The game has less controls then BoP (no tactical controls, and some experience from BoP\WoP to optimize layouts) - so in fact most of sticks played well, as well as default gamepad (and mouse+keyboard on PC)
2. Ace Edge and other flightsticks on X360 have no dead zone (top-secret info)
3. X-52 is unofficially supported on PS3 (very top-secret, burn after reading)

So you are lucky :)

Will there be flight stick support for this game on consoles and if so what flight sticks will be supported on the consoles ?????????
I think the list will appear soon.

If PC Flight Stick support is added to the ps3 version, then I'll get that so I can use my Saitek X52 Hotas.
There is support of X52 on PS3, lucky you :)

If there is no Pc support added to the ps3 then I will have to get the 360 version and pray for no deadzone on my Ace Combat Edge Hotas.
If there is no flight stick support on either system ,,, then I will Fly to Europe to get a copy of the PC version !
I can't advise, really.
However, PC version will be available in digital.
But both PS3 and X360 are going to have demos soon.

This really needs to be answered and I'm VERY surprised that it is not addressed on the Official site...
It can't be as it is unofficial support.

(lynchy67 @ Oct 28 2010, 09:27 AM)
It also says "The player takes on the role of three distinct Apache crews that each deal with what at first appears to be localized enemy activity"

I doubt if any of the aircraft other than the Apache are flyable.

I'm already sold but , any demo's coming soon? PC or Xbox?

There will be PS3 and X360 demos (at least we've made and submit it, Activision will decide when to release them).
As for flyable aircrafts - only different Apaches are flyable in Campaign (no surprise here as it is Apache game).

In free flight you can fly Apaches, MQ-8B, Mi-35 Hind (and last one has beatiful cockpit).

Site will keep updating.

(trk291 @ Oct 28 2010, 02:00 PM)
Thanks for the quick answers Anton.

One other thing I was curious about was will there be a free flight mode where you can just fly around without engaging enemies, and will there be a mission editor, or quick mission builder for the game for re-playability.

Dev Todace
Free flight will be in all versions of the game - with some kind of QMB (quick mission builder) too

(Anton Yudintsev @ Oct 28 2010, 01:53 PM)
There will be PS3 and X360 demos (at least we've made and submit it, Activision will decide when to release them).
As for flyable aircrafts - only different Apaches are flyable in Campaign (no surprise here as it is Apache game).

In free flight you can fly Apaches, MQ-8B, Mi-35 Hind (and last one has beatiful cockpit).

Site will keep updating.

Dev Todace
Also Hind and Mq-8 will be flyable in free flight mode and in some Squad Ops missions

(trk291 @ Oct 28 2010, 01:29 PM)
Are we going to have Multiplayer over the internet? It seems like it is unclear if there is a multiplayer. If yes is there online co-op?
And can we have co-op in same helicopter online? If not can it be added as dlc?
Is there plans for additional aircaft for dlc?

Thanks

Todace
Fo MP - online coop and one coop mission is competitive.
in MP each player controls own helicopter.

We are making (and almost made) DLC too, but I can't provide any details on it now and can't promise that it will be released - this is up to publisher.

QUOTE (RawKryptonite @ Oct 28 2010, 07:03 PM)
So to be clear, the game does still include Team Deathmatch, Ground Attack, Capture the LZ, and Ground Strike?

No, the game won't include these multiplayer modes.
There will be only coop missions (squad ops).

And in these, each player controls only their own chopper, there aren't 2 players in any choppers?

Todace
If we are talking about console versions, 2 players can play in one chopper the whole campaign - in local coop, on one console.

It is not possible to play in one helicopter via online. We had too much technical issues with that (traffic limitation/de-syncs), so we had to abandon this idea :(

One thing that is disappointing is no vs. mode in multiplayer. It is only co-op but this will be fun as well. Todace did mention DLC hopefully whatever they have added will get released and be a surprise.

P-51
10-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Nice one trk :)

Thought people might like to see this: Six minutes of gameplay walked through by one of the devs. Sorry about the quality, I'm working on it.

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=102810_3

FOZ_1983
10-28-2010, 02:32 PM
So no MP or at least looking unlikely?? Hmmm.

At least some form of MP has been implemented, and it offers you the chance to fly various helicopters in "squad mode"

I look forward to it.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
10-28-2010, 03:19 PM
I really hope Activision want to put out a demo and that isn't just all Gaijin's initiative.

dkwookie
10-28-2010, 05:18 PM
I have seriously scaled back my anticipation for this game now. Disapointing news from that yuplay thread. Surprised at the total lack of communication between parties with the press release mentioning all those MP modes.

Steiner
10-28-2010, 06:30 PM
todace
post Today, 07:15 PM

QUOTE (trk291 @ Oct 28 2010, 01:29 PM) *
Are we going to have Multiplayer over the internet? It seems like it is unclear if there is a multiplayer. If yes is there online co-op?
And can we have co-op in same helicopter online? If not can it be added as dlc?
Is there plans for additional aircraft for dlc?
Thanks

Answer todace:
For MP - online coop and one coop mission is competitive.
in MP each player controls own helicopter.

We are making (and almost made) DLC too, but I can't provide any details on it now and can't promise that it will be released - this is up to publisher.

trk29
10-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Apacher Air Assault achievements list (http://www.succesfull.fr/index.php?option=com_succesfull&Itemid=6&l=en&JeuID=1043)

Korsakov829
10-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Judging by the Skin Deep achievement, there are custom skins for each helicopter. Good to know.

The Globalizer
10-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Apacher Air Assault achievements list (http://www.succesfull.fr/index.php?option=com_succesfull&Itemid=6&l=en&JeuID=1043)

Awesome, came here today looking for the list. Nice timing. :grin:

Might be a bit tricky getting the co-op mission achievements, since I have no local gaming buddies and my girlfriend is functionally retarded when using a controller.

Sounds like the hardest difficulty isn't as hard in this as in BoP, so those achievements should be manageable.

Robotic Pope
10-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Awesome, came here today looking for the list. Nice timing. :grin:

Might be a bit tricky getting the co-op mission achievements, since I have no local gaming buddies and my girlfriend is functionally retarded when using a controller.

Sounds like the hardest difficulty isn't as hard in this as in BoP, so those achievements should be manageable.

Yeah thats one thing I dislike about the list. I will have the same problem, I even only have one joypad, thats it. So that makes it imposible for me to get all the achievments.

Steiner
10-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Does anyone know if they are giving away any free Apache: Air Assault swag with a preorder?
Last time Gaijin/505 gave me two IL*2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey T-shirts with my preorder, I'm wearing one right now.:cool:

bobbysocks
11-01-2010, 08:27 PM
last night at the end of a (us) football game they had a comercial for "Black Ops".... which is being released here on the 9th. impressive commercial..although i am probably not getting the game. hope they do the same for AAA...and do a media blitz.

OldDuke6
11-29-2010, 09:05 PM
SURE HOPE THEY INCLUDE MORE FLYABLE AIRCRAFT, SOMETHING LIKE...oh I don't know..

Eurocopter Tiger

KA-50 Alligator

Mi-28 Hokum

UH-1D Huey Gunship W/ 40mm Grenade Launcher in nose, Rockets&Miniguns (or) Quad .50's/M-60's + Rockets

MH-47D Chinook Gunship w/40mm Grenade Launcher in nose, Rockets & .50
's on either side door gunner + 40mm on drop ramp

Gazelle

MH-60C Blackhawk with ESSS wings/plyons for Rockets + 8-16 AGM-114 HELLFIRES

RAH-66 COMMANCHE

U.S. AH-1W/Z Cobra Gunship with optional 40mm grenade launcher, 8-16 AGM-114 HELLFIRE, 36 Rockets

Mi-8 Hip Gunship

Just a few, that I would like to see as DLC, that would spice up the single player Campaign, or Online Co-op.

Missions could vary from escort the transport, to rescue and recovery, or downed aircraft recovery. Or Capture the Helipad. Something to that extent.

Maybe even some downloadable weapons loadouts...

Korsakov829
11-29-2010, 09:16 PM
We didn't even get MiGs for BoP so I doubt DLC adding more helicopters.

bobbysocks
11-29-2010, 10:00 PM
depends...if the capitalist dogs think they can steal another dollar from the working class you will get a DLC. :rolleyes::grin:

Stingray NGAGE
11-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Additional aircraft would be good and also a few new maps, extra missions as old duke says would be a welcome addition. this sim has real potential i just hope the developers and publisher has the foresight to see this.

Stingray NGAGE.

Steiner
12-09-2010, 06:59 PM
PS3/X360 Review - 'Apache: Air Assault'
by Dustin Chadwell on Dec. 8, 2010 @ 2:00 a.m. PST
Apache: Air Assault is a helicopter combat game, where players control a variety of lethal Apache attack helicopters outfitted with cutting-edge military weaponry. The goal in Apache: Air Assault is to prevent terrorist attacks by raining down destruction from above in the world’s most volatile warzones.

Apache: Air Assault isn't a game that you'll want to approach lightly. It can be tough as nails, even if you're playing on the easiest setting — which I did — and if you start to bump it up to Realistic or Veteran mode, well, good luck, fine gamer. Apache isn't difficult because it's unfair; I can't even say that I suffered cheap deaths. Instead, it's such a unique console simulation title that it'll take a lot of time to wrap your head around it. I can't even remember the last time I touched a game that focused on helicopter-based missions outside of the classic EA series, Jungle Strike and the subsequent Strike games, so Apache: Air Assault certainly stands alone among other air combat titles. Most air combat games on consoles are strictly arcade affairs, so the controls aren't nearly as difficult to wrap your head and hands around, and they tend to be pretty forgiving. Apache is neither of those things; it's hard to play well, and it's even harder to finish.

The helicopter sim aspect is probably going to put off a great deal of people from even trying Apache. I struggled with the review for a while because I'd make some progress in the missions only to encounter a particular level that was unrelenting in its difficulty and precision. At that point, I'd toss the controller on the couch and switch to something else for a breather. I certainly hurled a fair share of expletives at the screen over the course of the main campaign, and I came dangerously close to cracking the TV screen a couple of times. However, once you get a handle on the controls and piloting, and you figure out which view best suits you, it can be quite fun. After all, you are taking the reins of a powerful piece of weaponry, and there's a lot of stuff you can lay waste to throughout the lengthy campaign.

As you delve into Apache: Air Assault, you're given a few modes to check out. Campaign mode is divided into 17 missions, most of which take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to complete. This might not sound like a huge amount of time, but as I mentioned, you'll end up retrying quite often, so the campaign becomes more of a time sink than you might expect. On the flip side, even if the difficulty can be brutal, the missions are short enough to make them tantalizing to try over and over again without much frustration, so you don't hesitate to jump in for another round since you haven't lost a lot of time.

Free Flight mode allows you to pick a number of options for a unique scenario setup. You can pick the arena in which the flight will take place, using a number of locales found in the campaign. Then you can choose whether there will be ground units for either side, so you'll need to watch out for friendly units or shoot indiscriminately. You can also specify the weather, which doesn't have a great impact on how you play aside from your view. Then you can pick your starting altitude, which basically means whether you want to manually lift off from the ground or begin in mid-flight. Finally, you can choose a number of AI-controlled teammates, the aircraft type, weapon loadout, skins for your craft (a number of which are unlockable), the skill of your AI partners, the enemy craft, and their weapons. There are a lot of variables tossed into this mode, so that you can really put a new aircraft through its paces, and it is a fun way to sample the gameplay without being tied down by the campaign and its plot.

Squad Operations is the next mode you'll come across, and it serves as the primary multiplayer mode in Apache. You'll choose an available mission, and then you're matched up with Xbox Live players to tackle that mission as a team. A word of warning: I didn't find a great number of people to play with online, and that's disappointing. There was a community presence from dedicated players, but it was rare to get a full group together. Also, these missions are as hard, if not harder, than a lot of the campaign missions, so in order to have some fun with this mode, you really need a group of microphone-using players who can coordinate some teamwork. It's going to be very difficult to approach this mode from a casual online standpoint, and while I'm glad it's included, I certainly wouldn't suggest starting with this mode.

That's it for the main modes, but all three offer quite a bit of playtime for anyone who picks up this title. Also worth noting is that Apache has some support for flight sticks; the game lists the Ace-Edge , Cyborg F.L.Y. 9 and Saitek AV8R-02. You could also opt to use the regular controller, which worked fine for me, and you can change options like the axis inversion, roll, pitch and yaw sensitivity.

As I mentioned earlier, the controls feel spot-on. You'll use the two analog sticks to control height and speed. Pressing up on the right analog stick raises your craft into the air, and pressing forward or back on the left stick controls your movement. Pushing both sticks forward gives you more speed, allowing to whiz along the countryside or ocean, so it won't take much time to reach faraway targets. You have an AI gunner aboard your aircraft throughout most of the game that will hunt down targets while you're busy evading missile locks, firing rockets and doing some basic piloting. However, you can take control of the gun and fly at the same time if you choose, and that's usually advisable because the gunner AI is a tad sloppy. It focuses on targets that are farther away and less of a threat, and it doesn't seem to have the ability to follow orders. Similarly, I wish I could issue basic commands to friendly AI when it accompanies me on missions, especially the escort segments, which are needlessly difficult because the AI often marches headfirst into danger.

Aside from the punishing difficulty and the admittedly niche nature of the flight sim, I can't find much worth complaining about with Apache: Air Assault. I'm not complaining about the difficulty so much as I am giving people fair warning in case they get easily discouraged. It's a well put-together title, but it's certainly not for everyone, and you should try before you buy. The game won't win any awards for graphics, but I found the mission variety offered a few different locales that were distinctive and really stood out from the crowd. The terrain has enough detail so you can pinpoint targets and enemy units. Likewise, the soundtrack doesn't stand out as being particularly grand, and I sometimes felt that it mimicked the generic military theme music that's prevalent in many first-person shooters, but it certainly wasn't anything that needed to be muted.

I applaud Apache: Air Assault for offering a unique and enjoyable experience within the sim genre of air combat games, and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to play it. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but you might be surprised by how much you enjoy this one.

Score: 8.0/10

http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/12/8/reviews/78709/

The_Goalie_94
12-10-2010, 02:47 AM
UH-1D Huey Gunship W/ 40mm Grenade Launcher in nose, Rockets&Miniguns (or) Quad .50's/M-60's + Rockets

MH-60C Blackhawk with ESSS wings/plyons for Rockets + 8-16 AGM-114 HELLFIRES

These get my votes. Maybe an AH-1 as well, but these we need for SURE! PLEASE!

bobbysocks
12-10-2010, 06:10 AM
still would love an a-10 but would settle for a cobra.

House MD 221B
12-10-2010, 10:56 AM
guys it is APACHE: Air Assault, you cant be surprised thats there's only 3 ac types available. lets aim realistically.

i'd settle for MP Co-pilot gunner.

The_Goalie_94
12-10-2010, 12:37 PM
meh, still want a huey

FOZ_1983
12-11-2010, 07:42 PM
meh, still want a huey

Here Here

The_Goalie_94
12-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Ya, I think a Huey would be amazing. NOt many games have the option to fly ones, and the ones that do are on PC and are not out yet (BFBC2 Vietnam Mod) or are very very old. Mind you both of those are arcade.

FOZ_1983
12-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Ya, I think a Huey would be amazing. NOt many games have the option to fly ones, and the ones that do are on PC and are not out yet (BFBC2 Vietnam Mod) or are very very old. Mind you both of those are arcade.

It'll be good to fly one in the new BC expansion pack, cant wait. Though.... it HAS to have the big thumping engine noise it makes. THATS a huey!! It'll be good fun flying it around with friends sat in the back with mounted M60's going crazy.

Also...

I enjoy flying them at will in mercenaries 2. Was good fun while it lasted.

trk29
12-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Hey, I finally got the game yesterday and have compeleted the tutorial so here is to some fun to be had!

MACADEMIC
01-24-2011, 06:24 AM
Hello everybody,

Information for all who want an update/patch for Apache Air Assault released:

http://forum.yuplay.com/index.php?showtopic=3376&pid=23475&st=0&#entry23475

MAC

mavrickandgoose
01-24-2011, 06:28 AM
i had this game the day it came out traded it in the next i thought is was a complete waste of time and money

MACADEMIC
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
i had this game the day it came out traded it in the next i thought is was a complete waste of time and money

I don't agree. While my heart is with the WWII warbirds, it's a good game, and it's interesting to fly a whirlybirds once in a while.

Anyway, all who like it, please ask Activision to release the update.

MAC

MACADEMIC
01-25-2011, 10:53 AM
For the Activision Support Thread on yuplay, click HERE. (http://forum.yuplay.com/index.php?showtopic=3376&pid=23475&st=0&#entry23475)

MACADEMIC
01-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi all,

There's a great community website which offers a home for all platforms (PC, PS3, XBOX360) of Apache:Air Assault, and it's free.

Check out here: http://www.novaworldgaming.com/news.php

See you whirlybird flyers there!

MAC

FOZ_1983
01-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Cheers for the update MAC, ive been frequenting the yuplay forum for a long time but have since given up.

Gaijen are a disgrace, they just go off the radar and keep quiet and keep throwing us between different support personnel over at activision. I'd understand if anton or the other guy posted on yuplay to inform us of the latest, but they are just keeping their distance.

Gilly
01-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Cheers for the update MAC, ive been frequenting the yuplay forum for a long time but have since given up.

Gaijen are a disgrace, they just go off the radar and keep quiet and keep throwing us between different support personnel over at activision. I'd understand if anton or the other guy posted on yuplay to inform us of the latest, but they are just keeping their distance.

Sounds like another smash and grab then run away. Not like them at all!!!

MACADEMIC
01-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Sorry Foz and Gilly,

I have to say a word here in Gaijin's defense. I think I can because I got to know them better - they're sponsoring our tournament.

I know that the XBOX guys got burned with BOP and the scars run deep. I also wished you would have at least received a patch, which you didn't. Now we have another title out which has a few problems, on all platforms, and it remains to be seen if it will ever be patched.

The problem in both cases seems to be in the nature of the contracts between Gaijin and the publishers. These contracts don't seem to give them any say, right or whatever to release updates and/or patches themselves, or get the publisher to do so. It's all at the sole discretion of the publishers. So, Gaijin can have a 10 patches, updates or game expansions ready for publication, but if the publisher isn't interested releasing them they'll never see the light of day.

Now why is Gaijin running into the same problem with Apache as they were having with another publisher for BOP? Because in this industry, a game isn't developed overnight, but a project takes a long time to mature. So, before the problems with the first title became evident, contracts for the second one had already been signed.

They have learned their lesson and it will show in their next title. They absolutely don't like to let their customers down and would love to supply them with DLCs, updates and so on. You will see.

I hope this makes sense and we'll see each other on the next title, which will be a WWII flightsim in case you haven't heard yet.

MAC

Gilly
01-27-2011, 09:58 AM
I hear what you're saying Mac. I've got to admit the devs communication early on with BoP was second to none but I'd have hoped that the mistakes learned then wouldn't translate into a 2nd title which it appears to gave done with apache- it was one if the reasons I didn't go and buy it initially as I suspected there would be issues and would rather save the money until it was right. It looks like to a degree i was correct.
As for a BoP sequel, bring it on- and I do live with the hope that they will learn from these mistakes although the nagging doubt is out of the two so far both have been flawed and sadly not corrected fully. I note that BlackOps has been reported to the Office of Fair Trading here in the UK on the basis that the current game is not fit for purpose. It'll be interesting to see what transpires as this could then force publishers to ensure games are up to scratch. Sadly as gamers I think the industry bigwigs ride roughshot over us far to often.

FOZ_1983
01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Sorry Foz and Gilly,

I have to say a word here in Gaijin's defense. I think I can because I got to know them better - they're sponsoring our tournament.

I know that the XBOX guys got burned with BOP and the scars run deep. I also wished you would have at least received a patch, which you didn't. Now we have another title out which has a few problems, on all platforms, and it remains to be seen if it will ever be patched.

The problem in both cases seems to be in the nature of the contracts between Gaijin and the publishers. These contracts don't seem to give them any say, right or whatever to release updates and/or patches themselves, or get the publisher to do so. It's all at the sole discretion of the publishers. So, Gaijin can have a 10 patches, updates or game expansions ready for publication, but if the publisher isn't interested releasing them they'll never see the light of day.

Now why is Gaijin running into the same problem with Apache as they were having with another publisher for BOP? Because in this industry, a game isn't developed overnight, but a project takes a long time to mature. So, before the problems with the first title became evident, contracts for the second one had already been signed.

They have learned their lesson and it will show in their next title. They absolutely don't like to let their customers down and would love to supply them with DLCs, updates and so on. You will see.

I hope this makes sense and we'll see each other on the next title, which will be a WWII flightsim in case you haven't heard yet.

MAC

I understand what your saying and i have alot of time for gaijen, at least the communicate in some capacity with their followers. It just annoys me that these things happen and they dont see them in testing. Do they even do testing?? Lets be honest... probably not as much as they could or should. Going away from AAA and back to IL2..

Their was a huge sticker on the box saying that "works superbly with the saitek AV8R"

We all know of the issue with no landing brakes. Its not an in depth thing to find and a major glitch or bug that rarely happens. Its something as simple as landing!! It just makes me think that they want their money ASAP and wont spend the extra few quid making sure the game is 100% up to par.

Its a little title, not cost effective to patch, Gaijen and Activision both know this and did from the start. Anyone complains.. they just pawn them off to different support people. The next game prob wont be published by activision so they are not bothered.

I've rambled on enough and lost track and made myself go cross eyed now :(

I hope im wrong i really really do because bugs aside, Gaijen make SUPERB games, amongst the best i've played on my xbox 360 without a shadow of a doubt.

Now...

Next game a WW2 flight sim?

Do tell me some more.

MACADEMIC
01-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi Guys,

I think we all agree that Gaijin is capable of bringing out superb games - that's the only reason why emotions are running so high. We'd like these bugs killed, and we want more of the good stuff!

About the testing and the slipping through of some quite obvious bugs, I can only assume. Assume that the time pressures in this industry are enourmous, and again, that the publisher has final word as to when a title will be released, ready or not. A huge proportion of annual sales happens in the runup for Christmas, too tempting for publishers to forego for the sake of fixing (possibly known) bugs. Because consumer rights presently don't include software to function as to be expected, publishers get away with it. And like I earlier said, unless a game developer has negotiated a right to release updates/patches, they have no way of getting those fixes to the customers even if they have them.

About Activision, I read about the complaint filed with the Fair Trading Commision in the UK. I read Black Ops is suffering from significant bugs on the PS3 and PC (seems to work fine on XBox this time). It's going to be interesting what comes out of it, but will only have significance for the UK, which has such a commission. In the EU or US, software is excluded from consumer rights, although in the EU some vague initiatives are under way.

About Apache, I don't think that the bugs it has can be compared with Black Ops. I have the game both on PC and on PS3, but play it more on PC which allows for customizing my PS3 controller the way I like. It's a really nice game and I don't regret the investment. For the many hours I've played it I'd say it was a bargain (BOP would have been a steal).

But still not giving up on the faint hope that Activision will release the updates they're sitting on.

Cheers guys,

MAC

SEE
01-30-2011, 12:48 AM
I hope BOP gets a sequel but also that Anton comes on the forum and simply asks the enthusiasts what features (other than a new theatre of operations, a/c, etc) would make it a console succes. Yes, there would be all sorts of request and not all could make it into the game. For me, a wider margin between Sim and the other Difficulty levels with ac having very similar FM to IL1946 (which Gaigin have access to), a cockpit only option in the MP set up menu but with the abilty to change field of view in cockpit view, and lastly, a co-op MP feature..............I can dream....:grin:

Despite losing many of the original players to newer release titles I am pleasantly suprised that BOP (on Xbox) still attracts new players and the game is still popular with flying enthusiasts. You only have to look at the threads and interest in the forthcoming IL2 PC sequel 'CoD' to see that good WW2 flight Sims do have a market (allbeit a niche one!) and many peeps rely on their consoles for entertainment rather than a high spec PC.

bobbysocks
01-30-2011, 06:32 AM
the fact is they need BETA testing. they cant be using this or these kinks would have been spotted and worked out well BEFORE even going to a publisher. maybe we ought to talk to anton and run a contest or figure out a way to supply him with honest feedback and eliminate most of their headaches. had they done this with A:AA ( or BoP) they would have known about the problems beforehand and had a chance to correct....hence no need to patch! the demo did not bring these out..it was only when players went through the game that they surfaced. its pretty dang easy to do this too. it would benefit them to give a copy to a few choice people on different platforms to run for a week or so....of course there would be contracts and gag orders...BUT you would get a better game overall.

trk29
01-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Here is a question that some may know because I do not.

If they were to release a beta it would have to be downloadable on the psn or marketplace right? And in order for that to happen Gaijin would have to convince the publisher that this is the best thing for the game during development because the publisher would have to pay for it right?

Just looking in the past not many games get this treatment and if they do they are usually huge in scope so if flight sims are niche than I don't see that happening unless the publisher can see return on investment and that is what stinks.

FOZ_1983
01-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Here is a question that some may know because I do not.

If they were to release a beta it would have to be downloadable on the psn or marketplace right? And in order for that to happen Gaijin would have to convince the publisher that this is the best thing for the game during development because the publisher would have to pay for it right?

Just looking in the past not many games get this treatment and if they do they are usually huge in scope so if flight sims are niche than I don't see that happening unless the publisher can see return on investment and that is what stinks.

Yup it would need to be downloadable on the PSN or XBL marketplace. It will be called a BETA, which only a select few would have access to via code. If they deploy a BETA to the PSN or XBL marketplace then they would surely already have proffesional BETA testers behind the scenes.

IF the publishers saw it as a big title then perhaps it would get a "BETA" much like COD:WaW did (many months prior to release), but with smaller title that has a niche audience then a BETA probably wouldnt happen. Though a demo could, much like the demo for IL2 :D

bobbysocks
01-30-2011, 05:03 PM
the only reason i could see the need for it to be downloadable would be for testing online play. even though they are the developer they could still have the availability to make beta discs one could use for a single player to run through the campaigns and missions. those could be shipped directly to the testers and then shipped back when when the testing is complete. even though the game is smaller or niche a small cadre of beta testers could still be used. hell i would do it for free ( or for a free copy of the game when released) as i am sure a lot of others would as well. i just think the cost would be minimal but the benefits would be well worth it. i doubt it will happen but it would be nice.

Robotic Pope
01-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Yup it would need to be downloadable on the PSN or XBL marketplace. It will be called a BETA, which only a select few would have access to via code. If they deploy a BETA to the PSN or XBL marketplace then they would surely already have proffesional BETA testers behind the scenes.

IF the publishers saw it as a big title then perhaps it would get a "BETA" much like COD:WaW did (many months prior to release), but with smaller title that has a niche audience then a BETA probably wouldnt happen. Though a demo could, much like the demo for IL2 :D

Yeah I believe it is very costly for a publisher to release a beta onto the console networks. Only the biggest games can afford to do this.

nicster
03-08-2011, 02:21 AM
Any updates on this? Apache (http://bit.ly/hFgvQZ)is out across all systems, PC, PS3 and Xbox.

Must say I prefer playing on the PC, purely because of the joystick control. Still awesome on the console but the Xbox controller can get a little unruly in a dog fight.

StiC
03-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Any updates on this? Apache (http://bit.ly/hFgvQZ)is out across all systems, PC, PS3 and Xbox.

Must say I prefer playing on the PC, purely because of the joystick control. Still awesome on the console but the Xbox controller can get a little unruly in a dog fight.

I'm not sure about updates, but I know how awesome this game is. I loved playing it with my T Flight Hotas, but lack of analog control over TADS/FLIR & zoom forced me back to the Dualshock 3. An update with control customization (like BOP on PS3) would be most welcome, but I won't hold my breath.

StiC

trk29
03-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Anton
Hello guys.
I want to clarify situation with updates/DLCs.
We've done our best (unfortunately, I can't tell details) to make update available for all and any of platforms.
But we don't have any power or leverage to make updates/DLCs happen - it is completely up to Activision.
As all of you (or probably even more than most of you) I would like to see DLCs/updates live.
However, we really literally can't do anything - we can't technically release updates/DLCs ourselves as well as we don't have any rights to do it.

We will do our best to make sure that this situation will not happen with our next flightsim title - but now all I can suggest is to contact Activision, our publisher.

Don't hold your breath! BS

Taken from Yuplay.

JOED70
03-10-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure about updates, but I know how awesome this game is. I loved playing it with my T Flight Hotas, but lack of analog control over TADS/FLIR & zoom forced me back to the Dualshock 3. An update with control customization (like BOP on PS3) would be most welcome, but I won't hold my breath.

StiC

Stic I love this game and yes have same problem with T-Hotas . Will mouse work I wonder like BOP ?

StiC
03-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Stic I love this game and yes have same problem with T-Hotas . Will mouse work I wonder like BOP ?

I don't know, as soon as I get it back I'll be sure to try.

bobbysocks
03-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Yeah I believe it is very costly for a publisher to release a beta onto the console networks. Only the biggest games can afford to do this.

pope, i agree to your, "ON THE NETWORKS" comment. however, by that time you are in the marketing and promotion phase. all development and testing should have been long competed. now you should have a polished and FINAL product ready to release. what i am addressing is the of the end of the development phase and the final editing prior to publishing. so as thus, i am not talking about a mass media release on xbox, ps3, or pc of a beta but sent to a select group of testers. THIS, is financially feasible for even the smallest of developers. they could direct mail ( fed-ex, ups, etc) a cd of the beta to predetermined testers ( 6, 12, 20 testers from EACH platform)...who could run through as many missions as possible in the allotted time frame ( 7 to ??? days) and report any glitches or concerns. the testers would be required return the cd in a prepaid mailer. if a developer cant afford burn off 60 or so CDs and ship them they have no absolutely no business being in the business. all legal and copyright concerns can be safe guarded by a strict contract and hidden tracking number on each beta CD. additionally, strict conditions ( OPSEC) for the testers handling the Beta would be included in the prearrangement along with the repercussions for "leaking" a copy to the populous . i am telling you all of this could be accomplished for less then $1-2000USD (5k if you get into deep background checks on the testers) and give or take a few $$ depending upon how much the lawyer gouges you for his fees, of course....

dkwookie
04-01-2011, 04:12 PM
This is looking promising. I love the old school sim textures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S23R85_cM0E

StiC
04-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Here is a link for U.S. and Canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hVwT2ozNIA

LynMs
04-02-2011, 07:50 AM
It was the lack of performance in the helicopter. Nothing Force Black Hawk and Apache helicopters can not do better.All Russia's something really is uncomfertable. But it works, it works fine.

MACADEMIC
04-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Apache Air Assault video, cockpit view, full sensitivity ;)
(PC version).

MAC

P.S.: PS3 DualShock Controller, Custom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI4rxnLP_T0

StiC
04-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Apache Air Assault video, cockpit view, full sensitivity ;)
(PC version).

MAC

P.S.: PS3 DualShock Controller, Custom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI4rxnLP_T0

That's great! I wish we could do this with the PS3. Did you use Free Track or Track IR?

StiC

MACADEMIC
04-07-2011, 12:15 PM
That's great! I wish we could do this with the PS3. Did you use Free Track or Track IR?

StiC

Thanks StiC,

Yes it's a pity Apache on PS3/XBOX doesn't feature a custom layout option. As far as I know this was Activision's decision :( Reason why I prefer to play this on PC. I'm using the PS3 DualShock controller with custom layout, right stick for free view and machine gun aim. No TrackIR or Free Track, although I heard they also work well.

MAC

dkwookie
04-07-2011, 12:56 PM
This is looking promising. I love the old school sim textures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S23R85_cM0E

This was released to the App store today. Just downloaded and had a quick go. Arcade and Sim options. Sim has touch screen control for collective and rotation with tilt for main stick control. Three views to choose from, tail plane, cockpit and flir. Graphics are nice. They are retina resolution on my iPhone 4 and very smooth. As you can see in the vid its very early 2000s pc graphic style but I like that. Reminds me of gunship.
Anyway its £1.79, less than price of a pint you can't go wrong

vdomini
04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
This was released to the App store today. Just downloaded and had a quick go. Arcade and Sim options. Sim has touch screen control for collective and rotation with tilt for main stick control. Three views to choose from, tail plane, cockpit and flir. Graphics are nice. They are retina resolution on my iPhone 4 and very smooth. As you can see in the vid its very early 2000s pc graphic style but I like that. Reminds me of gunship.
Anyway its £1.79, less than price of a pint you can't go wrong

super cool! by coincidence, I am currently developing some real time application to for iphone and ipad too ( will soon be available in the appstore ;) ), che company where i work for bought me a mac, iphone and licence to develop... the SDK and all the apple developement framework it's absolutely amazing!!! I do love Xcode 4.0... amazing piece of software as well as the hardware. :)

Sorry for the OT, talking about apache, i need to finish a mission called "anti surveillance" on multiplayer... but it's very hard... the one you fly a hind and have to protect a base from incomings drones and infantry.. anyone dare to help? :)

StiC
04-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Sorry for the OT, talking about apache, i need to finish a mission called "anti surveillance" on multiplayer... but it's very hard... the one you fly a hind and have to protect a base from incomings drones and infantry.. anyone dare to help? :)

What platform? If PS3 I'll be glad to help ,although it may take a day or two to get my copy back.

StiC

vdomini
04-07-2011, 02:13 PM
What platform? If PS3 I'll be glad to help ,although it may take a day or two to get my copy back.

StiC

Oh, beg your pardon, i have a playstation :-)

StiC
04-13-2011, 06:43 PM

I just checked and there is no mouse look as far as I could tell. Too bad.

StiC

StiC
04-13-2011, 06:45 PM

I have my copy back add me on PSN and we'll knock that mission off for you.

StiC