PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play with Orcs

JQueue
09-17-2010, 04:32 AM
As you guys may have heard the largest changes in the base campaign, Orcs on the March, will involve, you guessed it, the Orcs.

The changes include 4 new units and a new Adrenaline game mechanic.

Adrenaline is a resource specific to each stack of orc units and is accumulated by taking actions in combat. Every 10 adrenaline you have accumulated upgrades your "Adrenaline Level" up to a maximum of 3 Adrenaline Levels. When you go up an adrenaline level, you gain access to a new talent and your unit stack becomes stronger. As you activate talents, your adrenaline goes down (And thus possibly your adrenaline level).

You start off only being able to accumulate 20 adrenaline and thus only being able to reach Adrenaline level 2, but each rank of the skill "Rage Contol" in the warrior tree allows you to accumulate 10 more adrenaline per unit.

Also, certain items, skills, and companions affect how much each orc unit starts off with. (You normally start off with 0). Also, Every orc unit goes up an entire Adrenaline Level when an enemy unit stack is killed by one of your or stacks.

Some orc units, including some of the newer ones, are conveniently made available to you at the beginning of the game. I've screenshots of those units to whet your appetite for release tomorrow (or possibly today if you are in europe).

JQueue
09-17-2010, 04:47 AM
I was considering posting unit abilities, but I'll leave it for you guys to explore.

Overall, the changes for the orcs are FANTASTIC. They do tons of damage and have lots of very interesting disablers and effects.

The only possible drawback is that they are still not very good with no-lossing.

And a screenshot of some Orc Commanders in action to illustrate something I missed, They hit units behind their primary targets like dragons.

Except they don't friendly fire, and they don't ignite their targets.

JQueue
09-17-2010, 05:49 AM
I've decided to post unit abilities. In no particular order:

A.) Veteran Orc
Talents:
1.) Potion of Rage: The Veteran quaffs the potion of Rage. His speed increases by 2, his action points increase by 2, and his commanding hero recieves 5 Rage. Cancels the effects of 'Slow', but the effect of is not doubled if the talent is reused. Available at 1 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 10! Charges 1

2.) Scold: Yells at his allies in anger. Having vented in this way, the Veteran calms down, but his orcs, on the contrary, receive from him a carge of adrenaline. For one turn, the Damage of these orcs id doubled. Availalbe at 2 level of Adrenaline. Reduces Adrenaline to 0! Charges 2.

3.) Savage Attack: Delivers a fierce attack across three cells, causing 13-16 damage to each target. Available at 3 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 20! Reload: 3. *This attack does not trigger a counter attack.

Abilites:
1.) CounterAttack: If the enemy counters an attack, the troop delivers yet another blow to the enemy. Does not work against enemies with passive attack, or against FUrious enemies.

2.) Veteran Mastery: The orc grows furious and recieves a (5 + 5 * adrenaline leve)% chance of evading an enemy attack. Available at Adrenaline level 1.

3.) Cunning: If the orc's Speed is greater than the Speed of the enemy, the enemy does not get a chance to counter-attack. Available at Adrenaline level 3.

B.) Blood Shaman
Talents:
1.) Spirit Rage: Powerful spirits attack an enemy troop. The higher the level of the skill, the more damage will be inflicted. At level 1, the damage inflicted is 7-15 Astral damage. If the squad is destroyed, it leaves in its place Evlin. If Evlin is attacked, it will explod, causing half damage to all surrounding troops. Available at 1 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 5! Reload: 3.

2.) Goblin Blood: Each golbin troop sacrifices one unit. On the battlefield there appears the same number of Rage clusters 5-10, and the Shaman is fully healed. Troops which sacrificed their units receive 10 Adrenaline (but not above the maximum), and 1 Action Point each (providing a second turn in the current round). Available at 2 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 10! Reload 2.

3.) Power of the Horde: Inflicts upon enemy creatures Magic damage equal to the number of orcs, goblins, and ogres in the hero's army, multiplied by the level of the creatures. The initiative of each is reduced to 1 for one turn. Available at 3 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 15! Charges: 2.

Abilities:
1.) Enraged: Troop begins with 10-15 Adrenaline at the beginning of battle.

2.) Thirst for Glory: Always receives +1 Adrenaline whenever an ally increases in Adrenaline.

3.) Spirituality: Having long communicated with the spirits, the shaman begins to tolerate the undead. The morale of the troop is not reduced when undead are present in the army.

C.) Orc Chieftan
Talents:
1.) Sneer: Provokes any level 1-4 enemy, unless the target is immune to Mind attacks. Available at 1 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 5! Charges: 1.

2.) Predator: Consumes a few units from neighboring goblin or orc troop, restoring health. Troop receives the maximum adrenaline, and retakes the current turn. THe power depends on the level of adrenaline. Available at 2 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 10! Charges: 3.

3.) Spirit Strike: Calls upon the spirits to lash out at surrounding enemies. Deals 35-45 physical damage. If the army has any shamans, the effect increase in porportion to the number of shaman units. The angered spirits attack friend and foe alike! Available at 3 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 20! Reload:4. *Yes, if you have both Blood Shamans and Shamans in your party you get double boosted. Edit: Looks like Goblin Shamans contribute to this as well. Visual effect is pretty cool!
Abilities:
1.) Smash: Damages any enemy troop that is standing behind the target.

2.) Orc Commander: Orcs and goblins in the hero's army gain +1 Morale.

3.) Thick Skin: Thick skin affords a 20% resistance to Physical damage. Any enemy engaging this unit in melee combat can suffer a reduction in their Attack. The probability depends on the level of the enemy.

4.) Recruiter: After the battle, the army is joined by 1-2 orcs of whichever type is present in the army. *Can't seem to get this to work.

D.) Goblin Shaman:
Talents:
1.) Web of Life: Selects a detachment of goblins, which will absorb 50% of all damage received by the Shaman troop. Lasts 3 turns. Available at 1 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 5! Charges: 1.

2.) Astral Attack: A goblin Shaman sacrifices himself, turning into a spirit and attacking the enemy. THe attack deals 20-25 Astral damage. The number of attacks per turn is equal to the level of Adrenaline. Available at 2 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 10! Charges: 3 These do SOooooo much damage and takes out High defense units like a chainsaw through wet cardboard. Awesome with Time Back spell.

3.) Instruction: A selected neighboring troop of goblins loses 5 units, and the Shaman troop receives one unit. Available at 3 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 15! Charges: 3 *Not so good IMO. Affect doesn't appear to increase in stacks thank god.

Abilities:
1.) Goblin Commander: Goblins in your hero's army gain +1 morale.

2.) No Melee Penalty:

3.) Ghost Axes: The axes swirl and blur, reducing all types of the target's Resistance by 2% (plus an additional 1% for each level of Adrenaline). (Not sure if this stacks).

4.) Recruiter: After the battle, the army is jopined by 3-5 goblins of whicever type is already present in the army. *This always works and always gives me catapults. Even if you are full leadership!

E.) Orc Tracker
Talents:
1.) Animal Companion: The hunter calls uponhis pets, which absorb a part of the orc's damage. The higher the level of Adrenaline, the more powerful creatures are called. Available at 1 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 5! Charges: 1. *Summons a rather high ratio of animals to it's own leadership, very good. Additionally the animal companion appears to absorb half of the damage that it's summoning tracker would have taken. Very nice.

2.) Snare: Snares any nearby enemy of level 1-4. Target cannot move for 2 turns. Available at Adrenaline level 2. Decreases Adrenaline by 10! Reload: 2.

3.) Healer: The hunter heals and revives nearby friendly animals of level 1-4, up to 44 units of health. Decreases Adrenaline by 20! Reload 3. *Bears, the new guard droid!

Abilities:
1.) Tracker: All the animals in the hero's army receive +1 Speed.

2.) Hunter: Inflicts 150% damage against beasts.

3.) Loner: If ther eare no allies within a radius of 2 cells, the troop receives +5 attack and +5 defense.

JQueue
09-17-2010, 06:15 AM
F.) Orc:
Talents:
1.) Running: A troop receives additiona 2 Action Points to rush the enemy. Charges: 1

2.) Commander: Any troop of goblins with a combined leadership of 240 or less is called once again to act in the current turn. This does not end the orc's turn. Available at 2 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 5! Reload: 2.

3.) Onslaught: Runs along a straight line until reaching the enemy, inflicting 10-14 physical damage. Pushes the enemy back one cell. Available at 3 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 10! Reload: 3

Abilities:
1.) Violent: Retaliatory strikes score as Critical Hits. Available at Adrenaline level 1.

G.) Goblin:
Talents:
1.) Goblin Rage: Smashes down with his axe, which causes 3-6 damage and pushes the target back 1 cell. Available at 3 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 15! Reload: 1.

Abilities:
1.) Giant Killer: Little goblins greatly fear large creatures, but this fear gives them strength when battling with them. (+30% damage for creatures of level 5).

2.) Archer:

3.) Zeroing In: Their axes swirl and blur, and their Attack increases by 5. Available at Adrenaline level 1.

4.) Unstoppable: Upon attacking, the troop gets a (3 * level of Adrenaline)% chance to take another turn. Available at Adrenaline level 1.

5.) Poison Axes: Attack has a 20% probability of poisoning the target. Available at Adrenaline level 2.

H.) Shaman:
Talents:
1.) Dancing Axes: Calls forth ghostly axes, causing 20-25 Magic damage. 80% of the damage dealt is used by the Shaman to heal his allied troops. Available with 8 Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 8! Reload: 2.

2.) Totem of Life: Shaman places a Totem which gives protection to allies and heals them each turn. Area of effect 2. Health 532.(*Varies maybe) Availble at 1 level of Adrenaline. Increasea Adrenaline by 3! Reload: 3.

3.) Totem of Death: Shaman places a Totem which reduces the Speed of enemies, and attacks them each turn. Area of effect: 2. Health 760. Available at 2 level Adrenaline. Increases Adrenaline by 3! Reload: 3.

Abilities:
1.) Fighting Spirit: With the maximum of adrenaline, the orc shaman shouts loudly, encouraging nearby allied orcs. If there is no allied orc nearby, the Shaman becomes enraged. The Shaman's Adrenaline is reduced to 8.

2.) Thirst for Glory: Always receives +1 Adrenaline whenever an ally increases in Adrenaline.

3.) Enraged: Troop begins with 10-15 Adrenaline at the beginning of battle.

I.) Ogre:
Talents:
1.) Drain: Through a magical chant, the shaman strips an enemy of its Action Points. Charges: 1. *Does not take Adrenaline, but getting Adrenaline level 3 gives you an extra chage!

2.) Ogre's Rage: Ogre falls into a battle rage, and receives 1 Action Point. The troop's attack power is raised by 100%, for 2 rounds. Available at 2 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 10! Reload: 3.

3.) Strike: Throws enemy into the air, dropping it in a random location within a 3-cell radius. Target receives 70-90 physical damage, and is stunned for 1 turn. Available at 3 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 10! Reload: 3.

Abilities:
1.) Orc Commander: *Tooltip looks broken, Bug!

2.) Heavy Mace: Inflicts 150% damage to flying creatures, and reduces the target's Action Points to 2. Available at Adrenaline level 2. *Nice!

J.) Catapult:
Talents:
1.) Detonation: Explods a selected bomb or a powder keg. Relaod: 2. *May be good early game?

2.) Fire Missle: Uses exploding projectile that inflicts 8-13 damage to the target and any neighboring targets. Ignites the target with a probability of 50%. Available at 1 level of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 10! Reload: 2.

3.) Explosives: Set an explosive bomb. Available at 2 lewvel of Adrenaline. Decreases Adrenaline by 15! Reload: 3.

Abilities:
1.) Archer:

2.) Siege Weapon: Inflicts 200% Damage to obstacles, barriers, and gremlin towers.

3.) Susceptible to Fire: Fire inflicts 150% damage.

Edit: I appear to have forgotten the Furious goblin in all of this. Oh well lol.

guciomir
09-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Awesome! thank you very much for details.

I wonder if other races also got so many new skills and abilities. Could you please provide some examples?

JQueue
09-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Hmmm I could direct you here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=15046

and here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=16342

A few more changes include Skeleton which gets a lay bones and bonerporting skill and the bone dragon's ability to now eat corpses and generate skeletons.

I didn't really like it when I tested it with my 16 int Paladin skeleton, maybe someone else will like it on their mage.

You can summon it anywhere on the field and it does damage as it is summoned. More advanced versions of it have an AE knockback damage spell on it. Problem is it appears to have low initiative and at the advanced stage of the game on in it just gets fragged before it gets a turn.

Dwarves have an Engineer that generates droids, repair/resurrects droids, and an AE attack that blinds level 1-3 units around it AE style for 3 turns. (Pretty brutal).

Guard droids now have a Beam of Light skill that does AE damage in a line 3 spaces long, and does thousands of damage to Undead.

Dwarf alchemists no longer have the Holy Water ability if there is no undead in the opposing team, instead it has an Energy Drink ability (no joke).

All humans now have the Favored Enemy ability which means the first unit to hit it takes 20% extra damage from your unit for the rest of the encounter.

Thats about all I can think of, most drastic changes being with the orcs given the namesake "Orcs on the March".

Mandea
09-17-2010, 09:02 AM
All the changes seem to be very useful. More or less, of course, depending on one's style.

JQueue
09-17-2010, 09:33 AM
There are a *few* nurfs, IE the inability to lay Totems without Adrenaline. The inability to fire AOE projectiles from catapults without Adrenaline.

I open almost every fight with level 3 Balance of Power spell (you'll see, it primarily takes everyones rage and evens it out between all your orcs). With advanced tactics and all my orcs starting at level 2 adrenaline, I can rip armies down to almost nothing by the time they even get one turn.

I try to play a lot of different styles, but this one is very fun. Also I am going virtual no-loss with Paladin (losing but resurrecting). It's not very great with no loss but its not hopeless either because there are a few skills that give you rage which you can then turn into rez/timeback mana.

Mandea
09-17-2010, 09:50 AM
I would really like to see all the conections between all units with likes/dislikes. I think the next time I play, I'll start to make one for myself. There are so many likes/dislikes between units that one has a hard time remembering all of them.
x likes y but hates z and so on. And they are very useful when trying to put different creatures together.

camelotcrusade
09-22-2010, 08:02 PM
So what actions give you adrenaline, exactly? Killing a stack seems to do it, but does anything else give it to you? I noticed the might ability "onslaught" gives a random amount to troops in your army, too.

ckdamascus
10-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Goblin Shaman resistance lowering stacks and does not appear to have a cap. e.g. it can go negative.

I'm not sure if you can go beyond -100% with it.

But, you can definitely go negative. Very handy for wrecking those bigger stacks.

I was able to beat some heavily armored Hu-Mans by using Ghost Sword to lower existing physical resistance, then goblin shaman would slowly bring them to like -5%.

:)

BB Shockwave
10-17-2010, 11:24 PM
I think it is a bug that when an Orc kills an enemy unit, all Orcs get +10 (no kidding!) Morale. It should have been +1, methinks. It's called anticipating Trophies.

ckdamascus
10-18-2010, 12:13 AM
I think it is a bug that when an Orc kills an enemy unit, all Orcs get +10 (no kidding!) Morale. It should have been +1, methinks. It's called anticipating Trophies.

Only the orc killing unit gets +10 morale. All orc units do get morale though. I think it is totally fair and it is the basis of my current overpowered orc combination. :)

It is considered an orc advantage.

It basically ensures they will always hit max morale, so giving them a very high base critical can ensure a very high critical rate and can push certain units to 100% critical very easily.

I mean, every race has their own unique advantage of sorts. :)

Metathron
10-18-2010, 12:21 AM
What's the point of +10 morale, I wonder, if morale bonuses max out at +3?

ckdamascus
10-18-2010, 12:25 AM

To nullify the negative morale effects of negative status, hence guarantee full morale.

e.g. I would LOSE my 100% critical hit rating with my Hunters whenever they burned and poisoned me.

Two negative status effects makes you lose 2 bits of morale. :(

Once my orc units kills, it will not matter how many de-buffs are on him. He will have full morale and FULLY benefit from the critical bonuses.

Metathron
10-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Then they should've made it +5, not +10. :-P

ckdamascus
10-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Then they should've made it +5, not +10. :-P

Why? +10 ensures nearly no way to lose High Morale status. +5, does not.

Burning, poisoned, helpnessness, bleeding, pygmy, cursed, etc... :)

The point is to never feed the orcs. The basis of the power of Adrenaline in Crossworlds, and the morale thing was around back in Armored Princess. I guess no one feared them that much once they got near max magical resistance. :)

BB Shockwave
10-18-2010, 09:05 AM
No, "Expecting Trophies" is also new to Crossworlds. In AP, Orcs got +1 Morale if your army was composed of only Orcs, that was all.

I am not against Morale increase, but it makes using Morale-granting items or investing in the Persuasion skill useless if you get +10 morale once you kill the first weak enemy summoned Thorn stack, or so.

IMHO, there should be some anti-adrenaline spells or abilities. Like, the Death Cloud of the Necromancer should sap -10 Adrenaline per hit, or the Oblivion of the Fairies/Sprites should also leech adrenaline. Just giving you a fair advantage against orcs (or, making your life more challenging if you are using them).

Metathron
10-18-2010, 10:27 AM

Isn't it so that 2 or more negative effects give a total of -2 morale, not -1 for each negative effect? That's why I said +5 morale -2 morale = still +3 morale. :mrgreen:

Metathron
10-18-2010, 10:29 AM

Isn't it so that 2 or more negative effects give a total of -2 morale, not -1 for each negative effect? That's why I said +5 morale -2 morale = still +3 morale. :mrgreen:

No, "Expecting Trophies" is also new to Crossworlds. In AP, Orcs got +1 Morale if your army was composed of only Orcs, that was all.

Are you sure about that? I seem to remember this ability from before, at least with the original ogre unit, if not the whole race...

BB Shockwave
10-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Are you sure about that? I seem to remember this ability from before, at least with the original ogre unit, if not the whole race...

I re-loaded an old save, and you are right - it was present there, and yes, it gave +10 morale back then too. I just never had any of my stacks, not even summoned ones, getting killed by Orcs to notice. :cool:

ckdamascus
10-18-2010, 02:07 PM

Oh? I thought negative morale keeps stacking. I'm not sure.

Even so, if you were using demons and undead with the orcs (any other negative racial modifier), you could start with -3 morale or something even worse, PLUS negative status, and then kill... to regain High Morale.

I think it opens up some interesting possibilities. My orc team has certainly enjoyed it. :) It also gave me some ideas on a demonic team as well since the Pentagram gives a +2 morale bonus. Hmmmm 100% critical demons? :)

Zechnophobe
10-19-2010, 02:16 AM

-2 negative effects
-2 undead
-1 demon
-1 curse

You can actually stack up quite a few. I think 10 was a good 'fire and forget' number. It'd be hard for someone to accidentally get them down from that.