PDA

View Full Version : I-16/ I-153 Engine Problem

The_Stapler
08-24-2010, 10:54 PM
I have noticed that the I-16 and I-153 have the tendency for the engine to cut out under negative-g. I haven't found a way to restart said engines in flight. I take it this is due to the engines being carburetted instead of fuel injected, but the spitfire and hurricane (2 aircraft I'm sure are also carburetted) dont cut out under the same conditions. Can anyone explain this to me?

Shadowcorp
08-24-2010, 11:56 PM
i can't explain it, but i do know both aircraft failed their military trials for the red army.

P-51
08-25-2010, 02:44 PM
I have noticed that the I-16 and I-153 have the tendency for the engine to cut out under negative-g. I haven't found a way to restart said engines in flight. I take it this is due to the engines being carbureted instead of fuel injected, but the spitfire and hurricane (2 aircraft I'm sure are also carbureted) don't cut out under the same conditions. Can anyone explain this to me?

From my understanding: Both of the aircraft that you mention had upgrades to the Carb meaning they could pull negative G maneuvers without choking the engine. Though you are right about the earlier versions of the Spit and Hurri (not in the game) having the Carburetor problems.

bobbysocks
08-25-2010, 07:13 PM
i know i 153s engine will burn up easily if you use WEP all the time. havent flown the i 16 enough to know its quirks but it may be the same. i usually only fly the 153 in CTA because it is easy to land and slower so you can land on a relatively short field or shorter roll out.

The_Stapler
08-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Alright, that explains it. Thanks for the info guys.

Gilly
08-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Spits and Hurri's were fitted with what was called 'Mrs Shillings Orifice' (dont we come up with them) which prevented fuel build up in the carb under negative g thereby preventing cutout.

Friendly_flyer
09-11-2010, 07:22 PM
but the spitfire and hurricane (2 aircraft I'm sure are also carburetted) dont cut out under the same conditions. Can anyone explain this to me?

As Gilly wrote, the British fighters had somethings looking a bit like a plain washer installed in their petrol hose, preventing overflowing the carburettor chamber. The "Tilly orifice" (really the BAE restrictor, but it doesn't sound as good when you toast to it in the mess) was only introduced in early 1941, so during the Battle of Britain, they would suffer the same problems as the I-16 and I-153.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilly_orifice