PDA

View Full Version : Modern Jets

Soviet Ace
07-23-2010, 03:26 PM
So I've been skimming around the net for a bit, when I suddenly came across the link below... well not really, I kinda had to follow a trail of bread crumbs to it, but when I got to it, I kinda thought... "Meh, not really impressed." But I then thought, "I wonder what everyone on the forums would think?" So here I am, posting it. Check it out............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................................ And if you hadn't guessed it yet, it's about H.A.W.X 2, for those who love modern jet fighters.

Link (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1108076p1.html)

guiltyspark
07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
broken link

Soviet Ace
07-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Fixed! :D

guiltyspark
07-23-2010, 04:44 PM
game will be god aweful like the first

flynlion
07-23-2010, 06:27 PM
game will be god aweful like the first

I agree with Sparks, the first one stank so bad that it took months to get the smell out of my 360, and I seriously doubt if this one will be any better. Here's a quote from the Hawx Creative Director ""We want the player to know how it feels to be a pilot. To take-off and land. To interact with the world and know why he's there". I gotta wonder if this guy has ever flown anything hotter than a computer terminal. If he had, then he never would have released the first Hawx.

Lexandro
07-24-2010, 02:24 AM
I liked Hawx, I used the "off" mode with a couple of pals and we did some sweet aerobatics. You have to remember its not a sim game, its a pure arcade flight game much like the Ace Combat series. When taken in the right context its actually a pretty good title. If it wasnt so chock full of bugs on PC I would still be playing it now. Anyone who expected it to be anything other than an arcade game would obviously be critical of it. But as an arcade game with a unique new feature (ie "off" mode view), HD graphics, and a slew of sweet fast jets its right up there with Ace Combat on 360 (which is considered one of the best incarnations of the AC franchise by many).

However I wont be buying the new one as I am boycotting all Ubisoft products until such time as they stop using the net based DRM system. I simply will not pay for a product that I am unable to use whenever I so choose. Nor will I pay for a game that could at any time stop working permenantly due to network issues beyond my control.

olife
07-24-2010, 11:36 AM
So I've been skimming around the net for a bit, when I suddenly came across the link below... well not really, I kinda had to follow a trail of bread crumbs to it, but when I got to it, I kinda thought... "Meh, not really impressed." But I then thought, "I wonder what everyone on the forums would think?" So here I am, posting it. Check it out............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................................ And if you hadn't guessed it yet, it's about H.A.W.X 2, for those who love modern jet fighters.

Link (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1108076p1.html)

hello bud

yes i see the trailer of hawx 2,looks good,i prefer ace combat serie...but SNIF!!!i think we will not see one on ps3...

dkwookie
07-24-2010, 11:46 AM
This looks great. In the preview I saw they said you can also fly helicopters in it. Chopper games it appears are like buses.
I will be getting this for cert. I love my arcade aerial combat

Edit: other article said gunships can be flown so I assumed they meant helicopter gunships. This ign article states AC130 gunships can be flown. Apache Assault team can rest easy!

mattd27
07-24-2010, 05:12 PM
I'll wait until I can buy it at $10 like with the first HAWX. It's an ok game, but certainly not worth the full $60 if you ask me.

Lahatiel
07-24-2010, 06:57 PM
I'll buy it. I enjoyed the first one even though it was far from perfect.

Balderz002
07-26-2010, 09:40 AM
I'll buy it. I enjoyed the first one even though it was far from perfect.

The only thing I really enjoyed was the quantity of aircraft.........

Soviet Ace
07-26-2010, 03:01 PM
I think it's funny how the guy playing in the E3 video says it's going to really SIMULATE the feelings and stuff of a pilot; and yet I doubt they'll have red or black outs at all. Or even G-forces acting against the pilot at all. :rolleyes:

Robotic Pope
07-26-2010, 05:25 PM
This looks great. In the preview I saw they said you can also fly helicopters in it. Chopper games it appears are like buses.
I will be getting this for cert. I love my arcade aerial combat

Edit: other article said gunships can be flown so I assumed they meant helicopter gunships. This ign article states AC130 gunships can be flown. Apache Assault team can rest easy!

lol I can just imagine an AC130 in assistance off mode, hovering around on its props just like a helicopter.

FOZ_1983
07-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Just make an OVER-G 2!! Thats what we need :D

Robotic Pope
07-26-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm just sick of seeing F22's everywhere in games. I'm bored with modern jets in games. I want 1950's to 60's Jets when they still used guns. So many awesome early jets that have never been portrayed in any flight sim or game.

Irishmandkg
07-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Never liked the first Hawx, graphics were pretty bad for a big budget arcade flying game. I do want a good flight sim jet game, but I will wait for A-10 from the makers of Blackshark.

gbtstr
07-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Agree with Foz and Pope.

More Over-G, less modern jets! I'd go up until the 1980's though. Just so long as the Tomcat makes an appearance and isn't nerfed.

Anytime, Baby!

bobbysocks
07-26-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm just sick of seeing F22's everywhere in games. I'm bored with modern jets in games. I want 1950's to 60's Jets when they still used guns. So many awesome early jets that have never been portrayed in any flight sim or game.

did you ever play the old chuck yeager's air combat? the graphics are antique but its was a lot of fun. you can fly f 86s, f 105s, phantoms, and migs...all with rockets and guns ( if they had them originally). the "create your own game" senario was a blast. you can mix planes from 3 different wars. if i think i can get it to work on this mac i may snag one...if i had a pc i definately would still be playing it.

Soviet Ace
07-26-2010, 09:06 PM

You should try MiG Alley for PC. It's old, but damn was it fun. Accurate flight models and everything you'd love from a Korean War flight sim.

did you ever play the old chuck yeager's air combat? the graphics are antique but its was a lot of fun. you can fly f 86s, f 105s, phantoms, and migs...all with rockets and guns ( if they had them originally). the "create your own game" senario was a blast. you can mix planes from 3 different wars. if i think i can get it to work on this mac i may snag one...if i had a pc i definately would still be playing it.

I played that game a couple times actually. My friend used to own it, and I'd play it at his place. Sadly, it's not all that detailed of a sim. (It's kinda like Realistic in BoP more than anything.)

flynlion
07-26-2010, 09:08 PM
I think it's funny how the guy playing in the E3 video says it's going to really SIMULATE the feelings and stuff of a pilot; and yet I doubt they'll have red or black outs at all. Or even G-forces acting against the pilot at all. :rolleyes:

I'm with Soviet on this. Not that I care much about red outs or black outs, I just hate it when developers and even reviewers make outrageous claims for new title that turns out to be more of the same old fluff. Ironically, one of my favorites is Crimson Skies LoL, partially because it never claimed to be anything other than a silly arcade game :-P

Balderz002
07-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Just make an OVER-G 2!! Thats what we need :D

I second that motion!

How about

Over-G 2: Cold War babies..............

Balderz002
07-27-2010, 10:11 AM
UK
Hawker Hunter
Supermarine Swift
EE Lightning
DH Venom
DH Vampire
Vulcan

USA
Starfighter
Vigilante
SR-71
F-14
F-105 Thunderchief

Italy
Fiat G.91

USSR
SU-15 Flagon
Mig-15
Mig-21
Mig-23
Mig-25
SU-17
SU-25

To name a few

Soviet Ace
07-27-2010, 01:01 PM
UK
Hawker Hunter
Supermarine Swift
EE Lightning
DH Venom
DH Vampire
Vulcan

USA
Starfighter
Vigilante
SR-71
F-14
F-105 Thunderchief

Italy
Fiat G.91

USSR
SU-15 Flagon
Mig-15
Mig-21
Mig-23
Mig-25
SU-17
SU-25

To name a few

US

F4
F5
F84
F16
F15
F111
F9F
F94
F89

And my personal favorite from the 60s in the US: F100 Super Sabre

USSR

Su-27
Yak-23
MiG-29 (Favorite modern jet)
MiG-17
MiG-19
MiG-9
Su-7
Su-11
Yak-25

mattd27
08-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Anyone tried the hawx2 demo yet? I haven't gotten around to it, but I heard basically if you like realism- get out. Well I suppose we already knew it would be like that but I was hoping there would be some degree of challenge to the game.

FOZ_1983
08-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Anyone tried the hawx2 demo yet? I haven't gotten around to it, but I heard basically if you like realism- get out. Well I suppose we already knew it would be like that but I was hoping there would be some degree of challenge to the game.

I've played it..

Its crap. To arcade like! Graphics are nice, but gameplay is just poor to be honest. Thats just my 2 cents worth though. Others may like it

flynlion
08-17-2010, 04:57 PM
I've played it..

Its crap. To arcade like! Graphics are nice, but gameplay is just poor to be honest. Thats just my 2 cents worth though. Others may like it

That's too bad :(
After reading the press release I was kinda hoping that maybe they did a better job with this one, but I guess that an honest press release is asking too much.

I'll still try the demo when it's available to xbox silver members :-P

FOZ_1983
08-17-2010, 05:22 PM
That's too bad :(
After reading the press release I was kinda hoping that maybe they did a better job with this one, but I guess that an honest press release is asking too much.

I'll still try the demo when it's available to xbox silver members :-P

It reminds me of blazing angels, just with modern day jets. Its just not that good at all. I would suggest everyone downloads the demo and see for themselves, some may enjoy it. But personally for me...its shocking.

flynlion
08-17-2010, 06:56 PM
It reminds me of blazing angels, just with modern day jets. Its just not that good at all. I would suggest everyone downloads the demo and see for themselves, some may enjoy it. But personally for me...its shocking.

I agree that the control scheme on Blazing Angels is rediculous (why are developers so reluctant to program simple 3 axis controls?) but I actually kinda like the first one. At least no one ever claimed that it would "make you feel like a real pilot" LoL. One of the keys to enjoying BA is to turn the voice diologue completely off so that all you hear is the sound effects and music, that way it doesn't make you wanna throw up as bad LoL.

And with Blazing Angels you get to fly a Hurricane :P

dkwookie
08-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Blazing Angels is not too bad. You should try Heroes Over Europe if you want to play a truly bad flying game.

FOZ_1983
08-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Blazing Angels is not too bad. You should try Heroes Over Europe if you want to play a truly bad flying game.

Im pretty sure HAWX 2 would give it a run for its money haha. Its just not upto xbox 360/PS3 standards. Its appaling. I say graphics were good... i take that back.

Having played the second mission (suprised i lasted that long...what a bore) i landed on the carrier (take off and landing are crap!! no fun in it) and as i landed it cuts into a little cut scene of you hitting the deck. Its a big close up of your plane (F35), and as you come to a halt its clear as day that your wheels dont even turn!! They are static. It stands out so bad also, and just ruins it.

Little things have wrecked it.

Its one of the worst demo's i've played.

Robotic Pope
08-18-2010, 07:34 PM
So HAWX 2 is shit huh? Big supprise there. lol.

It would be awesome if an "Over-G or BoP like" game could tell a story of an Alternate universe were WWII continued into the 50's but with no nuclear weapons existing. We could have a 3 way war between Soviet Union , Linked forces of Japan and Germany, and the Alied.

We'd have Sabres and thunderjets with Hawker Hunters and De haviland Venoms, dogfighting against Mig15's which are covering their tu16 Badger bombers. Then suddenly some fictional messerschmitt jet (updated Me262's ?) and Jet powered Shinden fighters arrive and start shooting at everybody. lol

Soviet Ace
08-18-2010, 09:14 PM
So HAWX 2 is shit huh? Big supprise there. lol.

It would be awesome if an "Over-G or BoP like" game could tell a story of an Alternate universe were WWII continued into the 50's but with no nuclear weapons existing. We could have a 3 way war between Soviet Union , Linked forces of Japan and Germany, and the Alied.

We'd have Sabres and thunderjets with Hawker Hunters and De haviland Venoms, dogfighting against Mig15's which are covering their tu16 Badger bombers. Then suddenly some fictional messerschmitt jet (updated Me262's ?) and Jet powered Shinden fighters arrive and start shooting at everybody. lol

And P-80 Shooting Stars and MiG-17s to fly cover for MiG-15s.

But I'm curious how a German and Japanese Army would link up together, without going through Russia? ;)

Also, they did before the war with Germany ended, have P-80 Shooting Stars stationed in England.

Robotic Pope
08-19-2010, 12:56 AM
And P-80 Shooting Stars and MiG-17s to fly cover for MiG-15s.

But I'm curious how a German and Japanese Army would link up together, without going through Russia? ;)

Also, they did before the war with Germany ended, have P-80 Shooting Stars stationed in England.

If the Germans had taken Suez canal, the middle east could then be taken. If japan was able to take India then they would have linked up with Germany and together would control the oil fields.

I love "what if" scenarios in history.

flynlion
08-23-2010, 09:21 PM
The Hawx 2 demo is now available to xbox silver members and I just tried it. Yes it does suck, but maybe not quite as bad as the first one LoL. On a scale of 1-10 I give this demo maybe a 3 (BoP gets a 9). I agree with the Foz, it does kinda remind me of Blazing Angels for some reason, even though the gameplay and control scheme are totally different.

Everyone who likes flight games should try this demo. You probably won't like it, but you should still try it :-P

The_Goalie_94
08-24-2010, 09:08 AM
I wonder how a WWII with the same countries from WWII would go today... Russia and America allies... nuff said really.

bobbysocks
08-24-2010, 04:44 PM
its kinda role reversal in that the uk, us, and ussr are in a better military and economic (well sort of) situation than they were in the late 30s...germany, japan, and itaily are at an extreme dissadvantage at this moment in time. had they had the opportunity to wheel and deal and build up forces over the past 15 years....???

mattd27
08-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Can anyone remember that guy who has the sig with the hawx logo photoshopped to say "Tom Clancy's SUX"?

JOED70
08-30-2010, 09:56 PM

Heroes over europe is the only Video game I ever returnd glad I bought a used copy at EB games they took it back next day.

I enjoyed both blazing angles games I would like to see secret weapons over normandy made for PS3 . I enjoyed that game.
A RedBull air race game would be cool as well

P-51
08-31-2010, 03:43 PM
A RedBull air race game would be cool as well

Sim like features?!? IM THERE! :mrgreen:

dkwookie
09-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Hawks 2 is the pits. Demo was dreadfull.

I got hold of the new Ace Combat on PSP and it's miles better. In fact it's one of the best aerial combat games I have played. You have to change control scheme to expert and unlock a couple of decent planes to get into it though. Here's a review

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Ace+Combat%3A+Joint+Assault/review.asp?c=23142

Gilly
09-01-2010, 08:46 AM
I notice that HAWX is getting some exposure via TV adverts over here. Mostly later at night so obviously aimed at the older gamer. Looks like there's some money behind the game which even if the game is so bad will no doubt result in sales.

dkwookie
09-03-2010, 10:29 AM
First Hawx 2 review is in, and it's not too bad. 7 out of 10.
I didn't realise this had 4 player co-op on campaign. It just moved back into my might buy range

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-31-tom-clancys-h-a-w-x-2-review?page=2

FOZ_1983
09-03-2010, 06:05 PM
First Hawx 2 review is in, and it's not too bad. 7 out of 10.
I didn't realise this had 4 player co-op on campaign. It just moved back into my might buy range

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-31-tom-clancys-h-a-w-x-2-review?page=2

NOOOOOOOO

Dont do it!!!

Its a shocking game :( save your money.

dkwookie
09-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Ok I decided that once Hawks hits the £17-18 Mark I an going to get it. Is anyone else planing who fancies some co-op campaign? I know I may be peeing in the wind here but let's face it it's air combat

Bueller.....Bueller....

Gilly
09-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Ok I decided that once Hawks hits the £17-18 Mark I an going to get it. Is anyone else planing who fancies some co-op campaign? I know I may be peeing in the wind here but let's face it it's air combat

Bueller.....Bueller....

I'll maybe consider it too if it gets cheap enough but having just pre-ordered GT5 for November I suspect it would just gather dust!!!

Robotic Pope
09-08-2010, 09:29 PM
After playing the Hawx2 demo once (and laughing at its crappyness), I have gone back to playing Over G fighters which is 10,000% better. My advise to anyone thinking of buying Hawx2 at full price is: For the love of God DON'T!!!

FOZ_1983
09-08-2010, 09:56 PM
After playing the Hawx2 demo once (and laughing at its crappyness), I have gone back to playing Over G fighters which is 10,000% better. My advise to anyone thinking of buying Hawx2 at full price is: For the love of God DON'T!!!

Couldnt agree more mate!!

HAWX 2 is shocking, absolute shocking. Even if it came down in price and was only £5 i still wouldnt part with the cash. I have also been playing over-g, its the first game i got when i bought an xbox many years ago haha. Never got rid!! Great game.

Robotic Pope
09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Couldnt agree more mate!!

HAWX 2 is shocking, absolute shocking. Even if it came down in price and was only £5 i still wouldnt part with the cash. I have also been playing over-g, its the first game i got when i bought an xbox many years ago haha. Never got rid!! Great game.

I really regret not buying Over G sooner as I only got it in the 2nd half of last year, had to search for a second hand copy. Ive never really been able to play it online for lack of players. I'm guessing Arena mode online must have been great when there were plenty of players, BoP's strike mode should have been more like this.

Gilly
09-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Well I've just spent the 'hawx2 money' on a painting of a lanc over Bergen being chased by a 190, signed by the aircrew after they limped back to shetland. Think I made the right call!!!...

dkwookie
09-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Deffo right choice.
Sounds great Gilly. Any chance of a photo?

Gilly
09-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Am trying to find a decent one of it. It's limited to 300 ao pretty rare. It called 'the Bergen incident' by Keith Aspinall. I'll keep trying!

Little one of it, not the best pic sadly
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad256/paulcgill/b3dcb2e8.jpg

bobbysocks
09-09-2010, 04:52 PM
much better choice. games are a dime a dozen...ww2 vets arent. and signed prints like that will be extremely rare years down the road.