PDA

View Full Version : IL2 for PC

kjwright
07-10-2010, 03:48 AM
Hey do any of you guys play the IL2 game on pc. Im thinking about getting it, things is Ive really liked playing with you guys in BoP.

1.JaVA_LGorrit
07-10-2010, 10:02 AM
I have been playing IL-2 on PC since 2007.
Graphically you can't compare it to BoP, but playability is great!
I'd say: "Buy it", you will not regret it.
I even bought a track-IR to enhance the experience.
IF only we could use Infra-Red tracking on XBOX360, that would make a huge difference.

PantherAttack2
07-10-2010, 12:15 PM
yep- IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 is definitely worth the $10 price.

I myself got it on Steam, so I'm not sure where else you could buy it. As Gorrit said, BoP has much better graphics, but 1946 has a lot more advanced aircraft settings (prop. pitch, fuel mixture settings, cowl or armor flaps, etc.) and much more content in general. Over 200 flyable planes with complete cockpits. There are supposedly over 300 AC (I never counted), but some don't have cockpits and therefor it won't let you fly them, however, some mods do add new, historically accurate cockpits for existing planes.

Bombing is definitely the hardest thing to do in my opinion, as even when you have a lot of difficulty settings turned off you won't ever get the big yellow circle telling you where bombs will land like in BoP. You actually need to use a bomb-sight, and enter in your Actual Air Speed (which to this day I don't know how to calculate, so... no level bombing for me) and other things. The same applies for dogfighting- when you are in the 3rd person style view, there is no little gray circle on the screen telling you where your bullets will go. However, 1946 has much less bloom and in general less fancy effects, so you can see through the cockpit glass much easier.

I don't endorse modding for the purposes of cheating or gaining an advantage in multiplayer, however All Aircraft Simulations has many 1946 mods that add new historically accurate AC, new cockpits, new maps, better graphics, etc. It's a great website.

SEE
07-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I have the whole pack edition IL1946 (ridiculously cheap these days). Download and install the updates 4.08m, 4.09m and Hyperlobby so that you can go on line. Plenty of servers and hundreds of flyers 24/7 so no problem getting a game! Don't expect to get quite as many kills on line and I suggest you play a few campaigns before venturing onto the on-line servers - its a lot tougher than BOP. Assign a keyboard stroke that you can get to quickly in the heat of combat to start the Track Record function. I was on the tail of a player in a badly damaged BF109 smoking his way back to base at low altitude and he still managed an absolutely perfect slow rolling scissors that caused me to stall......things like that are well worth recording as focus of study as well as reviewing your own flying techniques

Strangely enough, I really like the uncluttered graphics in IL1946. I have it installed on two PC's - one has a top end card (GTS250) with 512Mb and the other has a cheap Radeon 9600 128Mb....game plays equally well on both. I just installed WOP as that is also available cheap but early indications are that IL1946 is still the best of the bunch.

Soviet Ace
07-10-2010, 10:54 PM
I've been flying Il-2 on PC, since Forgotten Battles. Then I gradually levitated to finally getting '46 when it came out in '07. It's a really great flight sim, and is highly accurate with the planes. There's nearly 200+ planes to fly, and some that weren't now are because like Panther said, people have modded in cockpits for them. Like a few heavy bombers, and a few Japanese planes of various kinds. It's pretty sweet, and I had to buy a whole new computer and everything just to be able to play it once again because there was no way I could upgrade my old computer on the budget I had at the time, and have money for other things. (I can run the whole game with no lag or anything, at the highest graphics with all the graphic upgrades '46 has so far.)

But my opinion on Il-2 '46 is to BUY IT!!!! :cool: It does have a large learning curve at first, if you're not familiar with flying already, and haven't gotten the hang of how to change fuel mixture, and what Panther also mentioned. It's a really great game once you get the hang of it, and compared to the people playing '46 and BoP, it's not contest. I'd say there are at least 100+ servers at certain times going on in '46, and all of them are different for everyone's skill level. (I'm usually up late on '46 when the Aussies are just getting on because of my work hours, and they don't like me much because when I find them flying a Pacific game in Allied fighters, what better way to make them remember WW2 Australia, than to fly Japanese right? Yeah, I get yelled at sometimes by Aussies for that. :P)

Lost Apiarist
07-13-2010, 03:40 AM
Does anyone play IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 on a Windows 7 32 bit platform?

1.JaVA_LGorrit
07-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Not me... I'm on a 2005 XP rig.
Runs like a charm.

SEE
07-13-2010, 09:44 AM
I have 1946 installed on two PC's - Windows 7 (32 Bit) and XP SP3. No problem with running or installation on Win 7 32 Bit other than you specify to install IL 1946 in the root C directory and not in the 'Programmes' directory.

PantherAttack2
07-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Does anyone play IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 on a Windows 7 32 bit platform?

Yeah, I do and it works fine.

Although for some reason the loading screen that comes up when I start the game is in Russian... but the rest of the game is in English. :-P

Lost Apiarist
07-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Cool, I may pick it up then. Thanks for the responses.