PDA

View Full Version : AV8R mod 1. Rudder Pedals

bobbysocks
06-28-2010, 03:12 AM
since my AV8R $#!T itself again i decided to see what i could do. i would like to get a control set up like a real cockpit. so, the first mod i am working on is rudder pedals. if anyone is a carpenter or wood worker...my apologies. this is 100% gonzo carpentry...no blue prints..nothing on paper...just get out the tools and start cutting. i am going to try to get this completed before i go on vacation.

pic #1 is the base and pedal construction

pic #2 the rails (made from a curtain rod) installed and checked for pedal movement

pic #3 dis-assembly of AV8R to scavenge the rudder pot. remove bottom and isolate rudder wires and store them out of the way until later. good view of set up in AV8R.

pic #4 & 5 the connection side of the rudder pot and the homemade connector ( 1/2" pvc ). separate and fitted.

McQ59
06-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Wicked!

Balderz002
06-28-2010, 09:59 AM
All you have to do now Bobby, is build a little cockpit setup!

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=92250

See post #3 in above linky!

bobbysocks
06-28-2010, 04:22 PM
oh yeah, on one of the other forums i read there is a group who make replica cockpits...down to exact nut, bolt, and label. would take up too much space in the livingroom...wife would be P!$$ed. so i will settle for components i can store easily. after this ( if it works ) i am going to make a separate throttle quadrant with some of the buttons off of the panel. but i want to get this done first and see what happens with it.

Balderz002
06-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Bobby, if you have a garage, and a car with a roof, the car can live outside the garage cant it?! lol

winny
06-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Bobby, if you have a garage, and a car with a roof, the car can live outside the garage cant it?! lol

Look what someone with too much time on their hands is doing..
B-17 cockpit in your garage?

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=91908&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1123052745

To clarify this is not mine.. But I like the idea...

bobbysocks
06-28-2010, 09:31 PM
no garage close and the cars do live outside...and i would too if i had one of these beside the couch... :grin:

there was a cockpit fest in the uk not long ago...these are a few of the entries.

bobbysocks
06-29-2010, 08:31 PM
deciding on how i want to rig the whole get-up. but if you decide to try this...remove the rudder pot but leave it wired. cut a hole in the case where you are going to splice in the connector and run the wires through that. i tried to fly last night with out the pot attached... spin city! needless to say i wil have to put this together fast.

vdomini
06-30-2010, 09:00 AM
since my AV8R $#!T itself again i decided to see what i could do. i would like to get a control set up like a real cockpit. so, the first mod i am working on is rudder pedals. if anyone is a carpenter or wood worker...my apologies. this is 100% gonzo carpentry...no blue prints..nothing on paper...just get out the tools and start cutting. i am going to try to get this completed before i go on vacation.

pic #1 is the base and pedal construction

pic #2 the rails (made from a curtain rod) installed and checked for pedal movement

pic #3 dis-assembly of AV8R to scavenge the rudder pot. remove bottom and isolate rudder wires and store them out of the way until later. good view of set up in AV8R.

pic #4 & 5 the connection side of the rudder pot and the homemade connector ( 1/2" pvc ). separate and fitted.

WOW that's pretty cool! But... how do you connect that to ps3 ?

bobbysocks
06-30-2010, 04:04 PM
sorry vdomini, i am not familiar with a ps3 at all. what i am making is for xbox. if they make an AV8R for it then you would follow the same thing i am doing.

bobbysocks
07-02-2010, 02:08 AM
moving right along. i had to decide how much travel i wanted for the pedals. i decided 2" ( 52mm ) would work. so with a 15 degree deflection in the rudder pot i plotted it out. pic 1. i am going to go with a very basic and simple design. this after all is an experiment that may not work out at all. if it does....then i will make something more elaborate with real looking pedals.
pic 2. attached connectors to the wires from inside the stick and put the pigtail an connector onto the rudder pot. next mount the pot and rig.

Robotic Pope
07-04-2010, 01:41 AM
intresting. How are you going to join the two pedals together so one comes towards you when the other one is pushed?

SEE
07-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Whatever you decide you will need to ensure that the rudder mechanism is self centering otherwise you will find that the small rotational movement of the rudder pot will require you to be continually searching for the null point which, in combat, could be quite tiring and a disadvantage I would imagine. You could increase the dead zone by adding a resistor at each end of the pot to help identify a null point and thus increase the rotational angle.

P-51
07-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Whatever you decide you will need to ensure that the rudder mechanism is self centering otherwise you will find that the small rotational movement of the rudder pot will require you to be continually searching for the null point which, in combat, could be quite tiring and a disadvantage I would imagine. You could increase the dead zone by adding a resistor at each end of the pot to help identify a null point and thus increase the rotational angle.

I vote for some big ass springs!

bobbysocks
07-15-2010, 06:21 AM
mini bungee cords. back from the wilds...will be back on this project asap...

StiC
10-09-2011, 11:29 PM
First up...sorry for bumping this thread, but I did read the rules first and I think I'm OK.

Second...I'm thinking of starting a similar mod to my T flight HOTAS and I didn't want to start a new thread on the same topic.

Finally..
I was wondering if you completed the mod and how did it turn out? If you didn't finish the mod I was wondering why before I begin mine and fall into the same trap.

StiC

bobbysocks
10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
actually i did get the prototype to work but i would have needed to redesign what i had to make it more durable. shortly after that i bought an ace edge flight stick that has a paddle switch for the rudder on the throttle quadrant and never looked back.

were i do do this again ( and someday i may ) i would use either the hindged pedals or a PVC set up...probably opting for the latter. if you want PM me and i will give you my email address.

StiC
01-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Here is a quick rendering of what I came up with. There is no scale, I was just jotting down what was in my head. The worm screw and cable are something I thought of for a trim box with a dial.

Now if only I still had access to a fully equipped tool and die room I could whip this up over a weekend.

StiC

bobbysocks
01-28-2012, 05:16 PM
looks like you ought to be able to build that using 1 inch PVC. that is something i had considered. i lost interest in my project since i got the ace edge stick...but if the MAC version of world of planes is any good i my revamp my design and have a go at it again.

StiC
02-03-2012, 08:57 PM
I was using your PVC idea when planning this. The rest I would have custom made using Teflon, steel, and aluminum. Now it may never get built.

StiC