PDA

View Full Version : Developers, Publishers, Distributors?

MACADEMIC
06-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Hello all,

Could someone please share their knowledge on how this industry works? Who is 1C, who is Gaijin, who is 505 games, who is Yuplay?

What do they do?

What is their relationship?

Is BOP related to IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 apart from carrying the IL-2 Sturmovik tag?

Are the people who are working on Storm of War the same who were working on BOP and are working of a sequel (at least of WOP)?

Thanks for sharing!

MACADEMIC

Mage_016
06-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Gaijin is this developer of this great game, 1c is big name and money. 505 is publisher and it was a very bad mistake. Just my opinion. I think 505 was picked cause it has published few low level console games.

winny
06-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Developers are Gajin in this case, (Consoles) who use 1C as publishers on the PC.
505 are publishers, I'm guessing that 1C are using them because they have a licence with Sony and MS.

Publishers buy the rights to the game and then pay royalties to the developers and are responsible for the release and probably the advertising and artwork.

Distributors shift units and usually have contracts with main retailers.

(I'm running the risk of getting shot down here coz this is from memory)

I believe that Gajin used the basic 1946 engine to create BoP

1946 was created by Oleg Maddox, he had nothing to do with BoP's development (other than providing the software/engine) as he's busy working on SoW which has been in development for ages. I think he had something to do with WoP also. In effect you have 2 different development teams working on IL-2 games Gajin and Maddox Games and they are seperate entites using the same game engines.

I reckon we'll get an enhanced version of BoP (prettier/more customisable/Co-op) for the sequel and then a new engine if they release a 3rd game this generation, which they said was what they wanted to do.

Robotic Pope
06-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Developers are Gajin in this case, (Consoles) who use 1C as publishers on the PC.
505 are publishers, I'm guessing that 1C are using them because they have a licence with Sony and MS.

Publishers buy the rights to the game and then pay royalties to the developers and are responsible for the release and probably the advertising and artwork.

Distributors shift units and usually have contracts with main retailers.

(I'm running the risk of getting shot down here coz this is from memory)

I believe that Gajin used the basic 1946 engine to create BoP

1946 was created by Oleg Maddox, he had nothing to do with BoP's development (other than providing the software/engine) as he's busy working on SoW which has been in development for ages. I think he had something to do with WoP also. In effect you have 2 different development teams working on IL-2 games Gajin and Maddox Games and they are seperate entites using the same game engines.

I reckon we'll get an enhanced version of BoP (prettier/more customisable/Co-op) for the sequel and then a new engine if they release a 3rd game this generation, which they said was what they wanted to do.

I'm pretty sure the BOP game engine is unrelated to the 1946 one, they look and play like completely different games. Anton (BOP developer) told us here that the game did use the same aircraft flight handling stats as 1946 though, but obviously something went wrong in the translation (P-51, FW190).

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
06-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah, they're very proud of their engine, and they should be as it looks fantastic. I think they just licensed the IL2 name for consoles. Wings of Prey doesn't have the IL2 prefix on the cover from what I can see.

winny
06-06-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the BOP game engine is unrelated to the 1946 one, they look and play like completely different games. Anton (BOP developer) told us here that the game did use the same aircraft flight handling stats as 1946 though, but obviously something went wrong in the translation (P-51, FW190).

Sorry, different engine, 1946's flight model. The engine is their own Dagor Engine. (it was from memory!)
Interestingly the manual credits have the entire IL-2 1946 dev team in there (even for the pacific theatre) as well as the Gajin team.

What went wrong on the 51 is thet they used the figures for one with full drop tanks. Dunno about the FW.

MACADEMIC
06-06-2010, 08:06 PM
What went wrong on the 51 is thet they used the figures for one with full drop tanks. Dunno about the FW.

How is the P51 different in 1946?

MAC

Robotic Pope
06-07-2010, 02:45 AM
How is the P51 different in 1946?

MAC

In 1946 it can fly. :-P