PDA

View Full Version : Back from 1946 PC Guy Need Help

Kandiru
06-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi guys,

Some may remember me from way back 5-7 years ago. Since then i sold my Mushaburui cockpit simulator, complete CH FlightProducts, and TrackIR3 setup years ago. My kids are
getting bigger and i have issues at work, so what better way to offload than to go hunting.
Me-109E great fan, Spitfire too (the greatest turnfighter).

I have never owned a game console and i need some pointers. Here are my questions, and
please forgive me for not reading a lot here before posting:

1. I understand PS3 better quality gaming than Xbox, correct?

2. Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS being preferred, can i integrate rudder control with pedals?
Any CH FlightProducts users on PS3?

3. Does TrackIR5 integrate well?

4. 1080p native should look magnificent on my 110" HC7000 setup, just prepped my cable
line with Google Namebench so latency around 44 nanosecs, should be OK?

5. What cockpit simulators setups do you guys have nowadays, or is it too arcadish on PS3 to even think about it?

6. Lastly, in tone with #5, my biggest worry, is realism as good as in 1946?

Best regards to y'all, i hope i will not turn visits to the forum into a nightly event, used to be hooked in the old days.

Please criticize and suggest.

SEE
06-05-2010, 02:45 AM
I think most IL1946 devotees would consider BOP as an arcade level game even in simulator setting and not classify it as a flight simulator by defiinition or comparison. BOP is a different game altogether but still enjoyable. On-line MP has suffered with falling numbers but (on Xbox) there are still regular games to be found most nights but with fewer players on line these day. Maybe the PS3 guys will update you on numbers for their platform. PS3 will let you have access to a wide range of PC flightsticks (unlike Xbox which is limited to just three currently available) and PS3 had the patch to improve aspects of the game. IL1946 is far more difficult than BOP and if you are expecting the same level of simulation and accuracy of flight modelling then you will be dissapointed. Having said that, I like BOP and the on-line community but I also like IL1946 which is a vastly different experience and a far greater challenge. BOP will give you Stalls and Spins, blackouts and redouts (PS3 only) Flap settings, Throttle, limited fuel/ammo but thats as far as it goes. No German cockpits, hardly any Take off and landings required other than in one MP game - Capture Airfields. Visually, the game is excellent and I would say better than IL1946 other than being stuck with one FOV (field of view) in cockpit view.

Edit: I don't think you need Track I.R for the Xbox console. The joysticks on Xbox have a Analog POV button mounted on the top hat which allows you track AC very easily as it auto centres the view when released so flying and observing your foe is far easier than on IL1946. I would imagine this is the same on PS3 but it supports PC joysticks which usually have a POV button that is digital switch based rather (than analog) so this feature may work differently on PS3 with PC joysticks. May be someone on PS3 will clarify that as it really does make a difference in Simulator mode in which there are no Icons visible to ID a/c.

Kandiru
06-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Thank you, you confirmed my suspicions.

I am now very busy and as we both know IL2 on PC
requires a lot of tweaking.

I am all for an easier setup and was so hopeful tha Oleg
would release BOB soon, but alas.

No rudder pedal and TrackIR integration, those had grown on me fast.

I will get a PS3 and a HOTAS and likely a flight chair. I
have to play, it is in my blood. Hope to see some action soon.

Whenever BOB comes out i will be back on the PC for sure.

My biggest gripe with IL2 has been the native resolution. I do
so many things on my projector, i truly hope Oleg will give it
1080p natve this time around.

SEE
06-06-2010, 02:13 AM
Pretty sure you will enjoy BOP and, as someone pointed out, with BOP there is at least an outcome at the end of each session unlike IL1946 in which you fly, fight, kill or get killed with no actual end product displayed once a session ends. It may not be a SIM in the true sense of the word but it still requires skill to perform well, particularly in SIM mode since there are no icons visible and you have to spot the team markings on the ac. You start in the air and the game is much faster in terms of how quickly you will be in combat. There are some excellent flyers on the consoles and some prefer BOP to IL1946......

Kandiru
06-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Thank you again. After some serious thinking, i realized that flight will not be possble for me without the crutches offered by TrackIR and rudder pedals for an immersive experince. So here is what i got:

1. Wings of Prey (DCS Black Shark too, if it get boring)

2. Playseats Flight Seat

3. Logitech G940 FFB HOTAS with rudder pedals.

4. TrackIR5 with the LED PRO clip.

Will mount everything on the seat, and hope to put a keyboard on the right table.

What was i thinking anyway when i sold all my sim items, including complete CH setup a year ago?

I hope my rig can handle, can't wait to see how i will fare on my HC7000 projector. If i get shot a lot i may have to spring for a 2ns 100,000:1 27" Samsung LCD.

I am sizzling with excitement, loaded with adrenaline, zipties, drill, bolts, velcro, USB hub all ready for a nice cable management job centering around the seat.

BOB SOW better come soon!