PDA

View Full Version : Riddle me this, Batman!

Balderz002
05-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know why the German fighters have a total lack or ordnance options? I bet the FW-190 would be a great ground attacker online. Or the BF-110.

Is it me, or does the P-51B look like it has an Allison engine? (which would
make it wrong) - I say this, because it looks like it has an intake on top of the cowling, and long barrelled mg's.

And why is there both a Mk.IX AND a Mk.XVI Spitfire in the game? - When I have been lead to believe that the XVI is 'just' an Amercianised Mk.IX. Why not stick a Mk.XII (first griffon engined spitfire) or even better, a Mk.XIV

Robotic Pope
05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Does anyone know why the German fighters have a total lack or ordnance options? I bet the FW-190 would be a great ground attacker online. Or the BF-110.

Is it me, or does the P-51B look like it has an Allison engine? (which would
make it wrong) - I say this, because it looks like it has an intake on top of the cowling, and long barrelled mg's.

And why is there both a Mk.IX AND a Mk.XVI Spitfire in the game? - When I have been lead to believe that the XVI is 'just' an Amercianised Mk.IX. Why not stick a Mk.XII (first griffon engined spitfire) or even better, a Mk.XIV

The German planes only have the weapon loads that are used by the AI in the campaign, this is because originaly they were going to be non flyable aircraft in multiplayer (also why they have no cockpits). Fortunatly quite late on in development it was decided to make them useable. The F190F does have unlockable bombs as the AI used them in one of the missions, its one of my favourites for CTA games although its a tricky one to land in sim. I definatly agree though if they had given the bf110 some of its other reallife armaments it would be a much more deadly.

Now, there was a thread last year all about the P-51B errors, I will find it for you. edit: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=9791 It was later corrected for the PC version "Wings of prey" where the plane has been renamed Mustang mkIA with its right powerplant and weapons.

You are correct about the Spitfire XVI, but I wouldn't say "americanised". It would have been nice to have a XIV aswell, I remember before the game came out lots of people wanted a XIV and were quite disapointed when they found out it wasn't there, oh well.

Balderz002
05-27-2010, 08:54 PM
I only say 'Americanised' because it had an American built Merlin and .50 cal mg's instead of .303. Its a shame they havent released any DLC's (except for the P-47 pack) but lets hope for an improved round 2!

winny
05-27-2010, 10:43 PM
I agree about the weird choice of Spitfires, obviously they have to include the planes that were around at the time of each battle but the XVI seems a little bit of a strange choice.

Basically there were 5 key marks of Spitfire, I, V, IX, XIV and F24.

It would be nice to see them all in the next game.

Davedog74
05-28-2010, 01:30 AM
a mkXIV 4×20mm set up would go nicely with the marks we have, the XVI with 50 cals, which i dont think it has on b.o.p

Balderz002
05-28-2010, 10:03 AM
I am not going to reopen hte P-51B can of worms again.

I would like to have seen a Ju88 and Mossie in the game aswel.

With regards to gerry fighters with ordnance, after reading Heinz Knopke's book, where he trialled dropping bombs on bomber a/c formations, that would be well'ard to do online!