PDA

View Full Version : High level bombing contest

dkwookie
05-19-2010, 09:38 AM
So I wonder who is most accurate at high level bombing. Who can get a single bomb on a landed aircraft from high altitude.
I propose team battle set up over Dover. Team one is single person acting as target. He is in any fighter or fighter bomber of choice. All other players go on other team and fly spit ix armed with single bomb. Target lands at hawkinge and parks on runway. Comtestants take turns at climb to 20,000ft and drop a bomb aimed at target.
10 points for direct hit, 3 drops per player

KAV
05-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Sounds cool, I am in.

Me to was just wondering about other setups we could do, this is one.
Maybe could expand it to some raid the airfield session ?

dkwookie
05-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Another one I thought about maybe a strafing competition too. Get someone parked in a bomber that can be destroyed by a single (well executed!) strafing run and see a. who can do it in one run and b. who takes the shortest timed burst to get the bomber in flames

JOED70
05-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I will be the target if you would like . I sugest a henkile for the target they seem to be the bigest bird with the easiest damage model in this game . Send me a msg on PSN JoeD70 tonite wookie and we can test it out

dkwookie
05-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah I was thinking heinkel. I know they can be downed with one run in the air but not sure how long a burst. Straffing easier though as you can slow down and get a better bead.
Just some ideas to get some variety into the game. We have all played it to death so any new challenge is good.

winny
05-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah I was thinking heinkel. I know they can be downed with one run in the air but not sure how long a burst. Straffing easier though as you can slow down and get a better bead.
Just some ideas to get some variety into the game. We have all played it to death so any new challenge is good.

I have an idea.

A no holds barred Realistic, single class (all in same plane), rocketsinfacefest dogfight (no player tags on HUD) with shit planes.. Yep, The shitter the better! Host chooses. Anything goes.
It'd be like group therapy.

dkwookie
05-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I have an idea.

A no holds barred Realistic, single class (all in same plane), rocketsinfacefest dogfight (no player tags on HUD) with shit planes.. Yep, The shitter the better! Host chooses. Anything goes.
It'd be like group therapy.

Are you on drugs? :-)

Edit forgot the smily!

Davedog74
05-19-2010, 01:38 PM
everyone in a i153 with rockets is a good crack.

dkwookie
05-19-2010, 01:45 PM
The more I think about this idea the better it sounds.
Maybe it will help settle everyone down with a huge non serious battle with shit planes.
I153 sounds good. Can't think of anything worse in the game that has rocket capabilities

Davedog74
05-19-2010, 02:00 PM
its sort of like ww1 with rockets,or red bull planes with a sting. they are a joy to fly on realistic,if your all in one its a good scrap

dkwookie
05-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Not flown a 153 in anger in over 6 months. Never flown one in realistic.
Should be a good laugh and group therapy as winny said

winny
05-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Are you on drugs? :-)

Edit forgot the smily!

Me..?

I want a p51b only game, it'd be awful :)

dkwookie
05-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Me..?

I want a p51b only game, it'd be awful :)

Ha ha, not so much the battle of the bulge but battle of the wobble

bobbysocks
05-19-2010, 05:18 PM
you guys have way too much fun on PS3 :(

scottyvt4
05-20-2010, 12:00 AM
i would be up for this as ive ditched the bommbers in favour of fighters to improve my dog fighting skills :confused::-x

so it would be a welcome respite from getting my f*cking arse kicked or crashing :evil::confused:

KAV
05-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Me and Wookie gave this a try last night.

Wokkie landed his spit in and field on the Sicilly map and I went to bomb him.
I flew my Spit with bombs and used them as meant for, not to commit suicide.

1. approach was from about 650 meters altitude. Dropped 2 bombs with 2 secs interval and got 1 hit.

2. approach from 3000 meters, 3 secs intervall, total miss.

3. approach from 6000 meters, 4 secs intervall. Bombs landed in China........

Then the evil internetdevil pulled my plugg. He is always about around midnight....

Lesson learned:
Great fun, need practice, poor chinese.......... and get to bed before midnight.

McQ59
05-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Well... That explains a lot to me. I was wondering what the f**k was going on! I acted like it was a regular dogfight with a major lag, flying about in Return to battlefield-borderland.

Sorry if I annoyed any of u guys. I just didn't get the drift.

Gilly
05-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Well... That explains a lot to me. I was wondering what the f**k was going on! I acted like it was a regular dogfight with a major lag, flying about in Return to battlefield-borderland.

Sorry if I annoyed any of u guys. I just didn't get the drift.

Makes two of us!! I didn't know whether to engage or not!! When tghfdgjkbcddhjydxcbn or whatever opened up I thought what the hell and fired back but then did some 'dancing' with winny and didn't open fire!!

I was talking with McQ about the high level stuff and we thought why not use templehoff as the target with a hit being scored if it lands within the confines. Certainly from the higher altitudes this would be better as from 20,000+ it's going to be difficult to hit anything accurately never mind a plane!

Also found a 'carrier' landing using the large factory roof north of Stalingrad!!!

dkwookie
05-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Sorry guys I couldn't put my mic on to explain we were testing.

20k is far too high, not a chance of getting a planned hit at that altitude. I like the idea of templehoff though.
I will have a look for that factory Gilly. I have tried a few times to land on the roof of templehoff to no avail

McQ59
05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
No problem wookie. Just confused me a bit. Saw you go in for landing there once, and that is a major deviation in behaviour for The Wookie-spit!

You will find the Red October factory north of Stalingrad by the river. It is just between the airfield used in CTA-games and the Volga. You'll spot it easily.

Gilly
05-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Sorry guys I couldn't put my mic on to explain we were testing.

20k is far too high, not a chance of getting a planned hit at that altitude. I like the idea of templehoff though.
I will have a look for that factory Gilly. I have tried a few times to land on the roof of templehoff to no avail

Only thing I've managed to put on the roof of templehoff is the PO-2.
Got some pics of Kav and I landed so will post them when I get 5. It's the largest of the factory buildings at the north end of the complex. Don't worry about the fences as you fly through them. Same to a degree with the chimneys and blocks on the roof, I think McQ even managed to partially hide his plane in one!

KAV
05-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Sorry about not informing toy guys about that bombsession, but I was having conx probs and got tossed out later on. This making it impossible to use the headset due to constatntly breaking up dialog.

As for bombing with the Spit, here some interesting info:
The Mark IX and XVI Spitfires were more or less the same except that the XVI had clipped wings giving it a clear visible difference and whilst the IX was powered by the Merlin 66, the XVI had the Packard 266. These American built engines gained a reputation for unreliabity in some quarters, but most pilots on the V2 sorties found them to be completely dependable and had no qualms about the long flights over the icy North Sea which they had to make daily to reach the Dutch targets. And engine fitters recall with pleasure the lavish tool kits supplied with each engine! The Spits packed a powerful punch too with two 20mm wing mounted cannon and two or four machine guns together with the capability of carrying up to 1,000 lbs of bombs on strongpoints on the wings and the centreline of the fuselage.

A typical day started with an early weather recce to the Dutch coast the results of which would influence the targets attacked and the bomb loads. Then a briefing, and shortly after, a Squadron take-off, forming up over Norfolk before turning east and flying across the sea to Holland. Near the target, the Spitfires moved to attack altitude and the unit commander would order an echelon formation as they made their final approach to the target. Depending on cloud cover, the attacks started at heights between 8,000 and 5,000 feet, but no lower than this because of defending flak. One method used was to fly in echelon until the target passed out of sight under the wing, then roll the Spitfire to reveal the target which was centred in the unlocked gyro gun sight, and trim the aeroplane into a 'hands-off' dive. Ideally the bombs were released at 3,000 feet - never below 2,000 - and the Spitfire pulled out of its dive to make a low level escape. An experienced pilot should have been able to place his bombs within about 30 yards of the target.

Pilots remember stomachs tightening at the top of the dive anticipating having to get through the flak. One recalled it as being 'quite pretty' with black puffs which exploded into bright red, but it was lethal. W/O Eric Mee recalled his first operation: 'I became aware of the little red balls of fire that were coming straight at me, slowly at first, then nipping past my cockpit at a fantastic pace. Numbers 1, 2 and 3 were pulling out of their dives and it was my turn to aim at the missiles in the wood and press the bomb release. I then pulled out at about 3,000 feet in a 5 or 6G pull out which produced a short black out. A good yell at this point with my feet up on the G pedals, the stick and rudder were pushed all around the cockpit to produce as erratic a course as possible, hoping to confuse the gunners.' Then reform and back to base.

PO2 dickaround, yea thats an idea :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

winny
05-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Oh shut up Branko.

Have I ever shot you down with rockets? No.

All I've done is disagree with you and you react like a spoilt child.

You simply can't let it go can you.

Grow up ffs. You're supposed to be an adult.

Talking loud, saying nothing, as per usual.

Stop mentioning me and I'll just carry on ignoring you.

Btw I don't appreciate private messages entitled

05-19-2010 YOU NATURAL BORN FUCKFACE !!!
05:10 AM branko57

If you have a problem find me online. PSN:winny1973
You had better bring your 'A' game because now I'm pissed off.
And I have no problem beating up on middle aged women.

trk29
05-20-2010, 02:12 PM
YES IT IS FUN NOTHING BUT FUN.... Da kannst du deinen traurigen arsch darauf verwetten :grin:

Meiner Großmutter (branko57) zu schreiben war nichts weiter als vergeudete zeit und energie, wir haben den hirnverbranten schwachsin nicht beachtet :!:

DIR, LEXANDRO, ROBO, WINNY, JOED und all den anderen "HÜHNER FICKERN" die meine Großmutter verbal und sonst wie genötigt haben, euch habe ich nur noch eines zu sagen. An dem tag wenn ihr es fühlt das irgend etwas lauwarmes, feuchtes, sowie klebriges an euren verotteten körpern entlang leuft. Das wird meine und die meiner kinder ihre Pisse sein, indem wir über eueren gräbern stehen und mit leidenschaft darauf urinieren :grin:

...... und tschüß :evil:

Just like the other thread you come into another thread and insult some members using a different language to cover up the profanity. That in itself is deceitful.

And goes against my last request from me.

trk29
05-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Whoever doesn't want to see posts by certain people please put them on your ignore list maybe this is the only way for everybody to get along.
Please use this awesome new thread for direction.

Best forum feature ever (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=14798)

Davedog74
05-20-2010, 03:27 PM
bit harsh on packard there kav,RR technicians went over to the us and checked out factorys and engines,they were apparently very impressed. with the standard of production.maybe the xvi pilots wanted a griffon,like me

bobbysocks
05-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Branko, I am sorry but were i on ps3 you would never see me. i could not nor would not enter a game which you are participating. you may be a great flyer and "sport" there but your behavior here towards innocent members here whose only "sin" is to not agree with your way of thinking would negate that. none of them attacked you, even directed a word, kind or harsh, towards you but felt your wrath ...chasing them into other threads to assail them nonetheless. no, i regrettably say i would leave any game you showed in...even if i was the host. in your mind since people play BoP with you...that legitimizes all behavior here. you take that as if because of that they are agreeing with you 100%. it does not. if you have anything else to say to me let us take this in private and not subject the entire forum to any further pleasantries...

BRIGGBOY
05-20-2010, 10:45 PM
count me in dk if it is in sim mode

Jim di Griz
06-15-2010, 08:57 AM
So I wonder who is most accurate at high level bombing. Who can get a single bomb on a landed aircraft from high altitude...
Hello all - another noob here who has just joined the forum now that I've (almost) completed the game on arcade, well just one of the single missions left undone, and I have done a few sorties online under the PSN name of MeanElf too.

I saw this thread and like the sound of it - any more bomb runs planned, or shit-plane days?

I also imagine that the target player will also have an interesting view of what it might be like while sat out on the airfield during a bombing raid...

Gilly
06-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi Jim, welcome on board!
Keep and eye on the 'ariel bombing run' thread as this is where we tend to arrange these type of things. Last one was a riot with scotty flying a G6 and attempting to strafe dk, kav, mcq and myself in bleinheims at manston. We've also had reasonable success (and a hell of a lot of fun) with 'non standard' bomb runs- did a historical run on Canterbury using he111's and a attack on the Reichstag and pottsdam palace using B17's. Kavs posted some good images on the ariel bombing thread

Jim di Griz
06-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for that Gilly - I shall go and have a look, then resolve to pay more attention in future.:)

There sure is a lot of info on this site, eh?