PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Sun Mod

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

OneMug
08-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Just as I was getting started, Alex Lond gave my noobie merc the Top Secret mission. Just to see if it could be done, I took over the secret army base. It wasn't easy but I won't go into detail unless someone is curious.

Along with all the goodies in the base locker, I found the Top Secret documents. I couldn't put either of the TS documents into my inventory or the mission specific box. Went back to Lond and got only the "remind me of my mission" dialogue.

Did I break the mission by taking the base over too early in the game? Or when I advance my merc's CGL will I be able to complete the mission?

From my previous 0.08 BSM ver. campaigns over a year ago, I seem I recall that a black ops squad intercepts my team on the way back to Lond. I'm sure my new merc would be toast if that were to happen right now, so I'm hoping I just need to level up (& hire at least 2-3 mercs, which I can't afford now!).

Hope I didn't break the mission for good and all. But, if that's the case, why would Lond give the mission so early in the campaign? :eek:
Please advise. TIA OneMug

Kuujis
08-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Just as I was getting started, Alex Lond gave my noobie merc the Top Secret mission. Just to see if it could be done, I took over the secret army base. It wasn't easy but I won't go into detail unless someone is curious.

Along with all the goodies in the base locker, I found the Top Secret documents. I couldn't put either of the TS documents into my inventory or the mission specific box. Went back to Lond and got only the "remind me of my mission" dialogue.

Did I break the mission by taking the base over too early in the game? Or when I advance my merc's CGL will I be able to complete the mission?

From my previous 0.08 BSM ver. campaigns over a year ago, I seem I recall that a black ops squad intercepts my team on the way back to Lond. I'm sure my new merc would be toast if that were to happen right now, so I'm hoping I just need to level up (& hire at least 2-3 mercs, which I can't afford now!).

Hope I didn't break the mission for good and all. But, if that's the case, why would Lond give the mission so early in the campaign? :eek:
Please advise. TIA OneMug

Document go to the special items list, which is separate from the inventory. Its a line of items below all the backpack/pockets/vest slots. And I don't thing you broke anything, just go back and take the documents: either ctrl+left click OR left click + drag them to the line of misc items in the bottom of inventory screen.

Also - SOME glitches might occur due to grenades being dropped near loot laying on the ground or simply due to bad handling of dropped items. I once participate in rebels Vs government battle in one of the cities and waited to get the loot while being neutral... Almost every second weapon disappeared... They reappeared a day later, when I came back though... :rolleyes:

Schobbejak
08-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi all, these mods keep getting better and better :grin:
R@S and all they others who created these mods ... Thanks !!
The fun you brought into this game, again thanks !!
And please keep making them.

OneMug
08-09-2011, 08:19 PM
BSM 1.8 has been running fine for several days but now the dialog with Bernice goes into a continuous loop and I can't give her the weapon. All my other missions & dialog scripts have been working just fine.

The Desert Eagle isn't removed from my pack or hand after I click the dialog for her to take the weapon. I get a "continue" scrip but it won't work. By clicking the left mouse button elsewhere I can get the dialog to move off of "continue" but it repeats her telling me who she is and takes me back to my option of telling her to take the weapon and I can't stop the loop. Furthermore, I can't get out of the dialog window to do anything else. I have to close the program with Task Manager.

Also, the servant doesn't have a "get a bottle of wine" choice but will let me talk to Bernice. But he just stands there in the hall. I think some scripting is missing or corrupted.

I've tried to follow the procedure of Thisone & More Dread from Jun 2010. Same result.
Any ideas for fixing this problem? OneMug

UselessHeathen
08-12-2011, 10:00 AM
During the Jingo Mine quest, when talking to the librarian, the sector begins to load and crashes right before finishing. I can post a log if it would help, does anyone else have this problem/ know how to fix it?

Kuujis
08-12-2011, 10:33 AM
During the Jingo Mine quest, when talking to the librarian, the sector begins to load and crashes right before finishing. I can post a log if it would help, does anyone else have this problem/ know how to fix it?

Logs are definitely needed IMO:rolleyes:

killerx243
08-12-2011, 11:57 AM
BSM 1.8 has been running fine for several days but now the dialog with Bernice goes into a continuous loop and I can't give her the weapon. All my other missions & dialog scripts have been working just fine.

The Desert Eagle isn't removed from my pack or hand after I click the dialog for her to take the weapon. I get a "continue" scrip but it won't work. By clicking the left mouse button elsewhere I can get the dialog to move off of "continue" but it repeats her telling me who she is and takes me back to my option of telling her to take the weapon and I can't stop the loop. Furthermore, I can't get out of the dialog window to do anything else. I have to close the program with Task Manager.

Also, the servant doesn't have a "get a bottle of wine" choice but will let me talk to Bernice. But he just stands there in the hall. I think some scripting is missing or corrupted.

I've tried to follow the procedure of Thisone & More Dread from Jun 2010. Same result.
Any ideas for fixing this problem? OneMug

I have the same problem too, you're not alone...

Badbru
08-12-2011, 03:45 PM

I had the same problem and don't know how to "fix it" as such but the work around is to just go to the mine sector and fight your way in. I had some crashes at entry point with grenades so I also suggest not using them :(

The fight inside is nice bunker clearing stuff, but for me the fight outside was just another "oh have they stopped rushing at me yet?" style of fight.

UselessHeathen
08-13-2011, 03:00 AM
I agree 100%. I love the tense CQB in the bunker, but gettin there is just another fight. I used an AKS-74U and utterly reamed the guys rushing me with MAC-11s.

Crazy Jingo Moment: I caught one of them off guard via Fast Turn, and in his shock-addled state he threw his gun at me. It landed at my feet, and he stood there for a moment looking at me (I imagine he was wondering why he did that) before attempting to escape my 12-gauge justice machine. He did not.

IceShade
08-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Cant say I liked the mine/bunker. There's no roof so everyone just threw grenades over the walls. The explosions then take out every lightsource and it becomes pitchblack.

90% of the fighting took place in the first three rooms, leaving an enormous part of the bunker empty.

So bleh.

Veilrider
08-13-2011, 09:55 PM
An excellent level for tactical flashlights however!

Nukem
08-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Hi all,

Some time ago I read about this mod, and now that I reinstalled 7.62 I wanted to try it. But as it seems I'm not that genius I always claimed to be :)

I installed 7.62, then installed the German 1.06 manually (by using packme.bat). After that I mounted the iso and started the installation. And thats when trouble started.... If I check "German GPC only" installation freezes. If I dont check anything it installs; I have some english text ingame and can't find any BSM-NPC (neither Paco the Cop nor his buddy in Santa Maria).

So could please anyone give me some "BSM installation for idiots"-guide?

edit: works now... I tried and tried until it once didnt freeze :)

Kyle
09-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Been a while since I've played BSM (hard to believe it's up to v. 1.8!), and I downloaded the three parts, used 7zip to decompress them (I assumed that it combined the three parts into one automatically - the iso image is 584 MB in size), and then I burned the iso image onto a CD. I double-click on it and my Win 7 64-bit operating system informs me that it can't find the program to open it up with.

I've installed two different free virtual drive programs (I went to use Daemon Tools Lite, but caught multiple comments that it now comes with spyware, so I won't be using that used-to-be-awesome program anymore).

The two that I tried were:
osfmount_x64
Virtual Clone Drive 5450

I couldn't get them to recognize the iso (since this is the first time I'm using these programs, maybe I did something wrong? Hard to know...).

Then I read that one could just use 7zip to open up iso images, and this I did. I could see the following:
Data
Redist
Set
Autorun.inf
Setup.exe
Whats_new.txt

So I clicked on Setup.exe and the nifty BSM windowed installer started running. Cool, right? Through its GUI, I select "Install English patch" because that box was unchecked (maybe it should be, as I'm using the Amazon.com digital download version of 7.62, and it might already be patched), and then I click the auto-installer to proceed. After several seconds I get this error message:
Setup
(X)
Unable to execute file:
C:\Users\Tesla\AppData\Local\Temp\7zO4452.tmp\Set\ UnP106En.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 2.
The system cannot find the file specified.

[OK]

What's going on? I'm very eager to dive into the latest build and this is holding me up.

Any DETAILED advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Kyle
09-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Tried WinCDEmu ver. 3.6, and it was RIDICULOUSLY easy to use, and it worked!!! :)

I guess that 7zip just doesn't have "the stuff" to get the job done when running the iso image file.

Can't wait till tonight when I can finally give the latest build a good run! :grin:

:confused:By the way, I know that this may seem like a newbie question (especially since I've played this game SO many times), but I saw a video somewhere a LONG time ago that showed how one can "link" multiple orders to one squad mate so that one doesn't have to "babysit" every single little action they take. I can't find this video any longer, and I can't recall what the name of the function was nor the key that it was assigned to. I think that it was called something like "Record," but if it is that key that links actions together, how does one use it? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Kyle
09-18-2011, 02:11 PM
http://www.viddler.com/explore/Squint/videos/1/

I found a video that "sort of" shows how one can give multiple commands to a squad mate and all of those orders will be carried out in the sequence dictated by the player.

:confused: Which command is he using to do this, and is this key pressed before the first order is given, and then once again after the last order is given, or...? :confused:

Schobbejak
09-18-2011, 03:15 PM
:confused: Which command is he using to do this, and is this key pressed before the first order is given, and then once again after the last order is given, or...? :confused:

Pause the game, select a merc and then press "Serie", the third button on the right side.
This will let you give a series of orders (move, shoot, change stance, throw, place explosives, talk to hookers) to the selected merc. If you're done with that merc, just select another and do the same.
Then when you're done press space and sit back.

It can really help in many battles or just create funny moments.

Kyle
09-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Thank you Schobbejak. So the "Serie" GUI-button is the one to do with what I described above?

What a HUGE time-saver that is going to be! About half of my time used to spent just racing from one squad mate to the other to ensure that they weren't idle, or to just redirect their weapons' firing arc 20 degrees in any one direction to ensure that they were properly suppressing a desired range of targets. Now that I can "link" one action with another, I can relax a bit more.

Thanks again! :grin:

Kyle
09-19-2011, 02:01 AM
R@S,

Just wondering if any of the camos that I worked on ever made it into the mod? The time that I have to play is pretty limited, so it would take me a while to discover what the answer was.

Here's one of them:
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7643/phantomswip2.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/8/phantomswip2.png/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

If you get a chance, take a look at the mod that I've been pouring a ton of ideas into lately over the summer. If I say so myself, I did a wicked new mutant design for this STALKER mod. You'll have to scroll down a ways to find some of the concept art that I did, along with a proposal for animating the face of a new psychic enemy. Above and below the supplied post, I also did a ton of writing for making the zombies more varied and...um...menacing (to say the least). http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-particle-paradise/forum/thread/mod-discussion/page/2#671069 :twisted:

Alright, I'm off to finally play your awesome mod again...! :)

Kyle
09-24-2011, 02:01 AM
I've played the mod for a total of a couple hours now, and I'm loving it.

Is there a guide that someone may have written that I could download? I did a keyword search for such, but I was just taken to page 1 of this thread, and I don't have the time to pour through every single page. If a guide was written, and even if it's now out-of-date, could someone post its download link below?

Also, if there was one weapons' effects feature that I wish were easy to turn off, it would be the tracers. For myself, it would be far more realistic if they weren't visible at all (with a slight exception for machineguns), and instead there'd be a barely visible "smoke trail" that would be produced by each round.

Not to get too gruesome here, but I've watched some unedited war footage over the years, and the Iraqi sniper "Juba" had his kills filmed, and one could discern in most of the videos the smoking and descending trail of the rounds that he fired.

If that kind of effect couldn't be emulated here, how about being able to assign yellow-green tracer rounds to former Eastern-bloc weaponry, and orange-red tracer rounds for Western-bloc weaponry.

Thanks for your consideration! :)

IceShade
09-24-2011, 09:44 AM
I'd say yes, yes and double yes...

But tracers are the only indication of you being fired at and knowing what direction it is coming from.

Because in this game, weapons magically don't make a sound if you don't see the shooter.

Making the tracers green for Warsawpact/eastbloc weapons and orange-red for western weapons, that'd be great.

Kyle
09-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Ahh! You're absolutely right IceShade! I totally forgot that sounds are not heard at their sources unless they've been identified.

You know what? That's pretty WEIRD that they made the game that way!

On a certain level, it makes some sense, IF...
...the round is being fired from a far distance
...echoes and occlusion can, and FREQUENTLY do make sounds seem like they're coming from somewhere else

Two real life examples I experienced this summer are:
(1) I was outside doing repairs to mortice that fell out between the blocks that make up our foundation. I was on the west side of the house, lying completely flat so that I could look up underneath the lowest layer of vinyl siding, to see if fresh mortice needed to get pushed up underneath it. All of a sudden, I could hear my wife talking to my kids. The sound was a little distorted and muffled, but I stood up, and couldn't hear it anymore. I checked the windows on that side of the house, and they were all closed. So, I got back down to keep assessing the foundation. I could hear my wife again, and my daughter whining about one of my wife's edicts. I stood up, checked the windows again, walked to the back and front corners of the house, and my family were not outside, and the windows were closed. Now I was spooked. I got back down on my belly, and a few minutes later, my wife was talking again. This time, I stayed down there, crawling around on my elbows and knees to see where the sound was coming from. I found the source. Me NEIGHBOR'S wooden fence post which was 3 m. from the side of my house! NO, I'm NOT kidding! My wife's voice became louder and clearer when I got to one of the posts. I went inside the house, stunned, and I asked my wife if she had done a lot of talking with the kids while I was working outside, to which she replied "Yes." I then recounted what I heard, and she confirmed that what I heard is what she said. And my daughter confirmed her whines. What's even stranger, is that they held most of their conversations in the living room, which is easily 15 m. away from the exterior wall. The original conversation was being conducted on the East end of the house. Altogether, their voices were picked up and transmitted by a fence post that was 18 m. away from the source of the sound! BIZARRE! I tested this out with my wife, and she picked up my voice on that fence post as well, so I'm not crazy (well, mostly).

(2) We had a our street and intersection worked on for most of this summer. There were several times when I was working in my backyard when I could've sworn that a bulldozer was just a couple of feet of me, roaring towards me. Whenever I looked, there was nothing but the garage. The sounds of the vehicles would bounce allover the place, and be loud somewhere else. Occlusion and reverberation--it's hard to overestimate just how severely they can throw a person's sense of direction off.

(3) Several of my friends participated in the 2003 invasion of Iraq. One of them in particular told me just how hard it could be just to determine where small arms rounds were being fired from. He said "You'd think that it'd be easy, but it's not. Sounds can seemingly be coming from your right flank, when they're really coming from your left..."

Over the years, we'd both find some mostly uncensored war footage, and time and again it would confirm what he had tried to convey to me with words. We watched this British reporter get caught up in an ambush on some Marines in Afghanistan, and for the first 20 min. of this blistering firefight, the entire squad was responding to its right flank, and lo and behold, it was really coming from center-left of their original starting position when the attack first started. You also saw the soldiers falling down a LOT. Something my friend had told me of earlier, "Kyle, you just wouldn't believe how often we fall down. Seriously, we look like a bunch of circus clowns, tripping over everything and nothing. Stepping on each other accidentally..."

So, maybe the developers made a wise choice in setting it up the way that they did?

Sound
Is it possible to add some reverberation to the weapons' sounds? I know that this would be a time consuming endeavor, but while it's been a long time since I last shot a firearm, I do know that it's virtually impossible to hear a weapon firing as "cleanly" as they do in the game. That STALKER mod that I'm contributing to, I directed LoNer1 (the chief modder) to video footage of weapons firing, and I pointed out the reverberation outside and/or the echo inside, and he posted some footage of the alterations he made, and the difference... Oh man, it's huge! Far more immersive and honestly, it ratchets up the sense of danger. Now, due to the engine's limitations, he can't "model" reverberations that are unique to how the environment is shaped, but that's fine, because just assigning one type of reverberation to each shot fired does an amazing job, and is far more convincing than the default super-clean sounds. Who knows, if you'd want some help with this endeavor, he may be willing to share his work with you (let me know and I'll ask him on your behalf).

Could the sounds of rounds snapping by be added? That too would really increase the sense of danger.

Tracers
As much as I loved playing the game last night, I became even more convinced that the tracers should be replaced with a smoking trail effect. For gameplay purposes, perhaps they should be exaggerated a bit from their real life counterparts so that they're more easily trackable due to how they designed how sounds are "not" heard in the game.

Feedback
Wow.

It seems like a lot of very smart steps were taken to make the gameplay more flexible and less cumbersome. From being able to access any locker on a map whenever one is dealing with a trader, to being able to leave a sector at any point to travel across the world-map. VERY smart decisions.

Yes, these things were modeled more realistically, but when realism becomes an annoyance, then from a game design perspective, should that realism be maintained? You made some very intelligent calls on such matters. I'm enjoying the game much more just because of that.

Questions
Do the weapons manuals act as a shortcut to develop complete familiarity with a weapon, so that one no longer has to fire off 100 individual rounds to become totally proficient with a weapon? If so, what a VERY smart decision. I hated firing off rounds individually so that a member of the squad was more adept at using it (keep in mind this was BEFORE I learned what the "Record" button was for!). If not, what does one gain from studying a weapon manual?

Is the environment more destructible than before? I got in a firefight with some bandits who actually fired their rounds deliberately through crates at me, which quickly shattered! I actually took a hit before the crate shattered, meaning that the round was penetrating the wood and coming out the other side. I don't ever recall the default game ever doing this, or am I mistaken? I liked that one's not safe behind every type of cover!

Any way to toggle on/off the "Shocked" icons, and other such icons, from floating above the heads of one's victims? Doing this would force the player to have to use his own judgement as to when a target has been put into shock from getting struck.

The same holds true for displaying the hit points that are being lost by a target. I'd love to be able to toggle those off as well.

There was one more thing that I meant to mention, but can't remember it now. In any case, what huge improvements have been made. This game truly is epic now! Good work, and thank you!

Kyle
09-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Just remembered the last question that I wanted to ask.

Are collameters such as Aimpoints and EOTechs treated as scopes, which means that they're only effective if one's using one's sniping skills? Or are the quite effecting when one's just using one's shooting skills?

In my mind, since collameters don't magnify, they're not truly a "scope," but rather an aiming aide.

Thanks!

safoolfool
09-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Just remembered the last question that I wanted to ask.

Are collameters such as Aimpoints and EOTechs treated as scopes, which means that they're only effective if one's using one's sniping skills? Or are the quite effecting when one's just using one's shooting skills?

In my mind, since collameters don't magnify, they're not truly a "scope," but rather an aiming aide.

Thanks!

As far as I can see, collimators effect accuracy using snap aiming (the kind that's not sniping, not precision aiming where you can target body parts, and not hip shooting). They don't appear to do anything to hip shooting or precision aimed shooting, and they don't speed things up, just give more accuracy/range. Laser pointers function similarly, but only for hip shooting, and have no effect on precision or snap aiming.

I'm basing this on the fact that if you open a weapon's information sheet and attach/detach the collimator you can see the yellow line showing snap accuracy rise and fall. The same is true for attaching/detaching a laser sight, and seeing the red hip shot line rise/fall.

Kyle
09-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Thanks for your feedback safoolfool.

For myself, it's a kind of risky endeavor to assume what's going on in the game engine. For example, I had no idea that one had to practice shooting to become adept at using each type of weapon. It makes total sense, of course, but how many games actually model it? And it's not advertised in the manual, or even in any type of tutorial or in-game dialogue, or anything. Yet, it's there. And it does make a difference. And 7.62 has a host of these types of "hidden mechanics" at work.

So, thanks for the extra clarity. Now I won't be sniping with it as much. There's no point in it, and that extra time I gain will help in a multitude of ways.

:)

Kyle
09-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Having a great time.

For some reason, I can't get the initial conversation with Benicia to end at the hotel. It gets itself stuck in an infinite loop. I have to hit the Windows key to get out of it, and then right-click "End program" to shut the game down.

To say that this conversation bug is frustrating is a major understatement, now that I see that one can keep Benicia permanently.

I want her to be part of the squad when we meet up with Ricardo...

Spelling Errors
Dialogue with Paulo Scalini. He states, "Sp, there you have it." "Sp" should be "So"

Dialogue with Police Private, when soliciting information on Juan Rebenga. The word "allunder" should be split in two, to this instead "all under".

I don't know how I missed in the Read Me about how reading the manuals now give a small bonus. So, practicing with guns is still the best way to become familiar with them, yes?

Kyle
09-26-2011, 01:06 AM
I did another keyword search, and this time found a thread devoted to the infinite-loop bug with Benicia at the hotel. Sorry to hear that its FUBAR as of this build.

But at least I know that I don't have to waste more time trying to find a fix to it.

Looks like I got to pull out my credit card, head to the nearest bar, use AIM and order me up my favorite merc to first hire: Barry.

tristeau
10-02-2011, 11:42 PM
I don't know how I missed in the Read Me about how reading the manuals now give a small bonus. So, practicing with guns is still the best way to become familiar with them, yes?
Definitely. Whenever I get my hands on a new gun, I give it to one of my mercs and have them blow through a few hundred rounds of FMJ ball ammo, and it seems as though they are a bit better with them once we enter combat than if I'd just handed it to them. Keep a cleaning kit on hand to reduce wear, and try to space out automatic fire as it will wear on the gun quickly.

Also, having a higher intelligence rating helps: my merc started with an "intelligence" score in the 80's, and I upped it into the 90's. His shooting, sniping, and snap skills have increased at a much higher rate - his sniping went from 25 to 75 over the course of a few heated battles, and now it takes him about the same time to use the scope on the M14 sniper mod rifle as it takes other teammates to aim an AUG or G36k!

kjou
10-03-2011, 01:28 PM
hi there! just git back to 7.62 recently, and installed bsm right away. great improvement! nice nice.
*spoiler*
having a bit of a problem now, with the "opportunity knocks" mission, which you get at secret harbour.
i got into the so called "sitiuation" with the hk guards and the hk employee. after eliminating them, i seem not to be able to find that prototype weapon. am i doing something wrong?

Kyle
10-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Definitely. Whenever I get my hands on a new gun, I give it to one of my mercs and have them blow through a few hundred rounds of FMJ ball ammo, and it seems as though they are a bit better with them once we enter combat than if I'd just handed it to them. Keep a cleaning kit on hand to reduce wear, and try to space out automatic fire as it will wear on the gun quickly.

Also, having a higher intelligence rating helps: my merc started with an "intelligence" score in the 80's, and I upped it into the 90's. His shooting, sniping, and snap skills have increased at a much higher rate - his sniping went from 25 to 75 over the course of a few heated battles, and now it takes him about the same time to use the scope on the M14 sniper mod rifle as it takes other teammates to aim an AUG or G36k!

For training purposes, I used to fire off about 40-50 rounds before I couldn't take it anymore (this was before I found out how to use the Record feature!). But even knowing how to use Record, and to advance time to x7, it still seems like an awfully tedious exercise of clicking.

Why not have a "Commence Training" command? One would highlight the desired squadmate, and order him/her to practice his/her skills. The game would auto-advance to a future point in time when the training was done. This is already done, but to a much more limited degree, by reading the magazines that one finds. From my understanding, there's a small increase in certain skills related to the contents of what one reads, and time certainly immediately advances to the end point of the study session. Why not use such a system for improving one's capabilities with a new weapon, or to build up stamina, strength, etc., etc.? Such a feature might seem "gamey," but it's gamey now, and just short of waterboarding in the "fun" that it elicits.

The higher intelligence aspect is important, and makes a TON of sense. Jagged Alliance was setup the same way as well.

Badbru
10-05-2011, 06:52 AM
hi there! just git back to 7.62 recently, and installed bsm right away. great improvement! nice nice.
*spoiler*
having a bit of a problem now, with the "opportunity knocks" mission, which you get at secret harbour.
i got into the so called "sitiuation" with the hk guards and the hk employee. after eliminating them, i seem not to be able to find that prototype weapon. am i doing something wrong?

There are three waves of opponents, I think 5 employees in total, have you dealt with all of them?

Somewhere in this, or another thread, the issue with assembling the weapon has come up before. You need to have all of the parts in you backpack and I think ammo for the launcher component, then read the manual, then right click on the rifle component to bring up a menu wherein "assemble the weapon" will be an option. Good luck.

kjou
10-05-2011, 02:46 PM
ty for the answer. three waves?? i had like one dead suit man, which was labeled hk employee 1. there was no additional wave. whould that be five different encounters, or all on the same map?

Badbru
10-05-2011, 03:48 PM
All on the same map.
Five, I think, or there abouts, suited HK employees just like the first guy.
For the two or three times I've done that in BSM1.7 the first lot spawn near the building just up from the river crossing. The second lot spawn in the exit circle down from the narrow path behind a hill near the edge of the map, and the third lot, also by far the most, spawn from way over beyond the intact road bridge.
I think the trigger is picking up a part of the weapon, so go inventory and pickup the assault rifle portion which should be the first bit to drop.

kjou
10-11-2011, 07:21 PM
i replayed the mission, and this time it worked. thanks again.
now i have a severe ctd bug, while on the convoy mission. i had a few casual ctd's, but nothing i could work aournd. this is rather bad though, since it looks unavoidable.

00:00.000 INFO [0] .\ProjectE6.cpp (410) Application version: 1.11 Build 286
00:00.007 WARNING1 [0] .\local.cpp (24) !LocalTextArray[ID]
00:00.007 ERROR [0] .\Parser\TextParser.cpp (683) Error parsing : '' found, int expected
00:00.416 INFO [0] .\Main3dDevice.cpp (37) 3D device created - Ok
00:00.521 INFO [0] .\SoundSystem.cpp (122) Creating and initializing audio system succeeded
00:01.415 INFO [0] .\Fx\effmanager.cpp (190) Creating and initializing audio system...
00:01.711 INFO [0] .\ZApp.cpp (847) Entering main program loop...
00:06.872 INFO [0] .\LoadGame.cpp (834) Loading saved game: Saves\Fast1.286.azp
00:08.035 INFO [0] .\Engine\World.cpp (427) Loading world 'Media.pack\SPECIALPLACENEAROLVIDAD'
00:13.306 INFO [0] .\LoadGame.cpp (1209) Game loaded.
>-----------------------------------------------------------
> Exception C0000005 at 0x00495531
>-------------------- Call stack ---------------------------

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x00495531

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x004BE481

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x005DEE54

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x004019DB

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x004BE0FD

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x00401040

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x004C9E28

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x004C9E7C

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x00487DE0

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x0040E1F2

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x00405288

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x006C1DF0

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x006CAE4C

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x006CAE7B

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x00492F53

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x006C271C

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x006C477E

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x006BD7E0

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x00533961

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x00517AF6

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x004A4816

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x00517AF6

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x004B5C0F

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x00425D3D

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x00444BB2

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x00497767

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x004907A9

> Crash dump successfully saved to Log\2011_10_11_20_27.dmp
01:07.416 INFO [0] .\ProjectE6.cpp (620) Unexpected program termination.

vahadar
10-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Having a great time.

For some reason, I can't get the initial conversation with Benicia to end at the hotel. It gets itself stuck in an infinite loop. I have to hit the Windows key to get out of it, and then right-click "End program" to shut the game down.

I mentioned it also on the BSM forum, but did not got answered (or it was already answered somewhere else but did not see it).

Well apart the fact that in vanilla you can get Benicia as a "free" merc, until you go back to Clive Parker, the quest end very quickly. But still i'd like to complete it in BSM :)

kjou
10-20-2011, 04:54 AM
hi again

i still have that ctd bug, where at a certain point an opponent dies, and my game crashes.
Exception C0000005 at 0x00495531
i dont know if its that one.
i have to restart the engagement, hoping that the "buggy item" is not distributed amongst my opposing forces.
any ideas?

Kyle
10-21-2011, 09:36 PM
I am LOVING this mod!

To say that 7.62 was vastly improved by it is a major understatement.

Brilliant work. BRILLIANT!

THANK YOU!!!

Now, a question that I've had going all of the way back to Brigade E5...

How does one mix up ammo types in a magazine? I've read before that one can alternate armor piercing rounds with hollow points, or whatever rounds one desires. I completely forgot about this, till I went to empty an enemy's SMG, and discovered that I was extracting one round at a time. I couldn't figure out what was going on at first, till I noticed that the round types were mixed! Is there a QUICK way to accomplish this for my magazines?

If not, I'd like to suggest that new types of ammo boxes can be purchased: MIXED. The three combinations would be:

armor piercing with hollow points
or
armor piercing with ball
or
armor piercing with full metal jacket

These ammo boxes would come with an extra 20% surcharge for the labor that was involved in pre-packing these boxes for the purchaser.

Looking forward, eagerly, to any input on this. Yours!

the_Brain
10-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Right-click the empty mag and choose refill (or something like that, I'm not sure as I play the german version). That should open a window where you can do that, as long as you have appropriate ammo in your mercs inventory.

Kyle
10-22-2011, 07:50 PM
the_Brain,

If it's really that simple to do, I'll be kicking myself in the rear end for not knowing it! Thank you for informing me! :)

Although the documentation that came with the game is far too sparse on very helpful details.

If there's another release of BSM, then I'd advise having the "mixed refill of magazine" content added as a Tip as one waits for the game to load. I wish that I would've known this years ago!

Kyle
10-23-2011, 11:48 PM
The ammo pouch that costs approximately $290 is having issues when it's doubled up on one belt. If one looks at the image below, one will see what I mean:

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/d2c81bc941e20e4f1080554ebf10669b7cf9162ea857cea451 6f432769b027702g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=59v55ocj84movwv&thumb=5)

The lower pouch's GUI makes it appear that one could fit in long magazines, but it never allows for them to be stored there. Rather, one can fit objects as long as they're no longer that 1 box in size. It operates exactly as the ammo pouch located above it, but one can't see the horizontal divider.

I also had some strangeness when attempting to "Fill Magazine." For the entirety of last night's game session, I could not see the ammo boxes in the large rectangle. No items where displayed within said rectangle, but one could float the mouse through that portion of the GUI, and see text descriptions appear, describing the invisible ammo box the mouse was floating over.

Today, the ammo boxes appear in the GUI without any problems. Weird!

IceShade
12-27-2011, 10:43 PM
This forum is dead, isn't it? :-P

Melthorse
12-28-2011, 05:14 PM
@IceShade

i hope not:confused:

@all

are there any news about the next release of the blue sun mod?

R@S
12-28-2011, 05:23 PM
This forum is dead, isn't it? :-PJust because I have been terribly busy lately and haven't posted here in a while doesn't mean the mod is dead. I will begin working on the final version of BSM(2.0) when the new year has started. The release is planned for Febuary, I have a few new weapons to add and a few minor bugs to correct. I don't have any major changes in the pipe, but that might change once I get started on it again. The final version will be tested before released, I don't want any patches or addons once it's released.

safoolfool
12-29-2011, 02:49 AM
Just because I have been terribly busy lately and haven't posted here in a while doesn't mean the mod is dead. I will begin working on the final version of BSM(2.0) when the new year has started. The release is planned for Febuary, I have a few new weapons to add and a few minor bugs to correct. I don't have any major changes in the pipe, but that might change once I get started on it again. The final version will be tested before released, I don't want any patches or addons once it's released.

What changed in 1.9 from 1.8?

Dolly8663
12-29-2011, 04:59 AM
There are only some minor changes, mostly fixes but a few new things as well. For those who has the final beta there's some new weapons and a new car. But I recommend you finish your current game before you start a new one with the latest version.http://www.worldwidegamingexchange.info/jh2.jpg
http://www.worldwidegamingexchange.info/22.jpg
http://www.worldwidegamingexchange.info/6.jpg

Kyle
12-31-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm thrilled to hear that there'll be at least one more update.

Has the situation with Benicia been figured out?

R@S
01-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Yeppers, the Benicia issue has been fixed in the 1.9 version, you can recruit her in Santa-Maria after the Clive mission has been completed.

Tozmeister
01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
This forum is dead, isn't it? :-P

Ain't no-one here but us ZOMBIESSS!!!!!

btw Ras, a Febuary release for the final version? hope you get it out before the release of Jagged Alliance. will you be switching to modding that after?

R@S
01-06-2012, 06:50 PM
btw Ras, a Febuary release for the final version? hope you get it out before the release of Jagged Alliance. will you be switching to modding that after?The release date is mostly egotistical, I want some spare time in February when BiA is released, damn all else:-P

I am not a 100% sure if 2.0 will be the last version tho. Even if I'm a bit bored of modding 7.62, I've been doing that almost 3 years now, I might get my mojo back after playing BiA.

If it is possible to mod BiA I will prolly try to do something with it, once you get bitten by the mod bug it's hard to shake. But I wont know the modding capabilities of BiA until I have it on my HD, so we'll see.

I have just started looking into what to add in BSM 2.0 and made a small discovery. I found the file that controls what speed you get traveling on the global map. The problem is a binary file that adds the path finding points for it, but if I manage to crack it, adding a helicopter might not be out of the question. The model from BE5 could easily be imported.

Another thing that needs to get done for 2.0 is all the shops and their inventories. Since there is now more than 400 weapon in the game, dividing them up categories makes more sense. Some weapons should be very rare, others very expensive. I will also remake the weapon order code for Uribe, it's way to clunky and badly made. Maybe add a shopping cart so more than 1 item can be order at once. And while doing that, make some new places where you can order weapons, and ammo too. I'm not sure how I'll implement these ideas yet, but since I know it must be done I'll get it done ASAP.

Tozmeister
01-07-2012, 02:00 PM
If you're on the requests trail then can you add a few more maps for random encounters? The 13(? 16?) there are now get a bit repeatative. Especially when you know where the good fire points are from. Another 6 or 7 would be good.

A random map generator would be even better but I'm guessing thats asking a bit much?

Request No. 2 :- glowsticks. useful in the early game before NVG's. chuck 'em around like grenades to light up a small area.

Request No. 3 :- the logic that allows AI to get past/through boobie traps too easily. Or has that been fixed and I'm forgetting?

R@S
01-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I think I have used all the maps I can from Reloaded, not sure if there are any left that could work as a random encounter map. I was in your situation a couple of years ago, so I started forcing myself not to use the usual spots on those random maps. It actually makes the game more fun since you have to try new tactics when you don't have a perfect spot to shoot from.

Creating new maps are out of the question, I think the company that made the map builder for Apeiron has followed them down. And since all lighting are controlled through the map files(Tac Light excluded since it uses some different system I'm not familiar with) I cant do anything about it..

I would love to add glowsticks, but don't think it's possible without knowing the magic behind tac lights and grenades, sorry.

The AI is still omniscient regarding traps, I have tried many different things and it still wont work. All that is left is the actual source code for AI behavior, but that is obviously out of reach.

Kyle
01-08-2012, 04:27 AM
Thrilled to hear that the Benicia situation's figured out! Yay! :)

In regards to supplying weapons/gear, if it's not too much trouble, could you supply two different systems? One that's geared towards "evolving gameplay" and another for those that want the immediate gratification of being able to cuddle up with their favorite lead-spewing babies?

The "evolving gameplay" system would be setup realistically. Legitimate weapon dealers at bigger locales would be able to supply a larger catalog of weaponry immediately from the game's start, and allow access to those weapons that they could order. The newest weaponry/gear could be ordered with a 50% down payment, and then take 3-4 weeks for shipment. There would be quite a price penalty to be paid for the shipping and handling, but as a major conflict heats up, the price/time cost would gradually reduce as these weapons would already be "in the pipeline" to the conflict zone since it's now a good source of dependable income for the weapons manufacturers. Eventually even the best "special forces" gear wouldn't have to be shipped at all. They'd be readily available at the better shops. Perhaps a bonus could be supplied to the Player for those traders he frequently shops from. Black market dealers can occasionally get their hands on such premium weapons, and perhaps have them delivered a week or two earlier than the legitimate dealers could, but their prices are much greater. Yes, I know that having Players wait for 2-4 weeks' worth of game-time is a pretty hefty "penalty," but it seems more than fair to me so that they can get their hands on a brand-spanking new HK416 or a SCAR...

The "immediate cuddle up" system would be accessible via the radio, and the Player could order up weapons/gear through it. They'd pay a normal price for the items (I'd make ammo available for ordering too), and then they'd spawn nearby, akin to ordering up a mercenary. This setup would be ideal for those Players who don't like the slow buildup to the weapons and gear that they love. They simply want their babies now so that they can execute the combat as they see fit.

Top 3 Wishes for the Next Release
(1) Supply ammo boxes that come pre-mixed with different ammo types. Graphically, such boxes would have two colors on it, color-coded to indicate the ammo mix inside. In bold font would be the following combinations:
AP+FMJ
AP+HP
FMJ+HP
The rounds could be mixed in one of two counts: Burst and Alternate. A "burst" count box of mixed ammo would be that the first of three rounds would always be a single AP followed by two FMJs. An "alternate" count box of mixed ammo would simply alternate the rounds so that it would go "AP, FMJ, AP, FMJ, etc., etc."

I strongly feel that a ton of Players would appreciate being able to purchase pre-mixed boxes of ammunition. While the Player can do this himself in the game, it's very time consuming, boring, and a third of the time the GUI doesn't display properly till a reload of the last save is done. This is more than a little irritating when it happens.

2. Ensure that windows always permit the Player to see the enemy on the other side of the glass. The reasons for this are pretty obvious, because to have an enemy see you when you can't see him, even though they're just 5 feet away from the window's surface is, well, pretty golly-durned frustrating. :)

3. Supply better Tips to aide in figuring out the gameplay. I'm talking about for items such as how to setup claymores, which I still haven't been able to pull off properly! :evil: I'd also list the Top Ten major changes that the latest release of the Blue Sun Mod supplies, and that includes managing taxes on a territory.

4. "Yes," I know that I said that this would be my "Top 3" list, but this last one's so low that I thought that it wouldn't hurt to mention it anyway... Allow the player to pickup and carry three medium-sized stones per single box, which can be used to throw towards the enemy to make them think that a grenade has been thrown at them. I've read about some rather nasty firefights in the Pacific Theatre during WWII where the American soldiers were so low on grenades that they alternated throwing stones at the enemy. It got to the point that when the light was dim enough the Japanese ran away in terror nearly every single time a stone was thrown.

If, as you mentioned earlier, you can get Brigade E5's helicopter into the game, that would be awesome!

If anyone has the mind and fingers to do it, it's you man! :grin:

Hopefully, the upcoming release of Jagged Alliance 2 Back in Action won't draw you away for too long. I am SO disappointed to hear that there's no fog of war, that only one attachment can be setup per weapon, and the game's being released so that it's not "mod-friendly." What in the world are the developers thinking when it comes to making these three HUGE blunders?! :evil:

I very rarely purchase "brand new" titles at top price, and I was seriously considering doing so for JA2 BiA, but it's hard for me to imagine doing so now. If they were smart, they'd release a free demo a week prior to release, because I can't imagine the wrath they're going to receive if they force JA2 lovers to shell out hard earned cash for a game that they're going to end up hating!

Honestly, as much as I admire JA2+1.13, the best tactical experience I've ever had in a game is 7.62, but that's primarily due to all of the work poured into it to improve it through the Blue Sun Mod. Seriously, 1C should be cutting you a BIG check every now and then!

Good luck R@S, and thank you for all that you freely do for us!

IceShade
01-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Really? Those limitations for BiA? Not mod-friendly? That.. sucks.

Oh well, meanwhile, I shall play some more JA2 1.13.. It's not the same with turn based and action points, though :/

I love 7.62's gunplay a lot more. Shame it had to be made on such a wonky, wonky engine. Those crazy Russians.

R@S
01-08-2012, 02:52 PM
@ Kyle

I have stopped adding features that makes the game easier, it ruins the fun. So for the new supply system I feel strongly about letting the evolution take it's course.

1: I never felt that making mixed ammo clips was time consuming or annoying. And never buggy! And I like to change my variation as the game progresses, like having 2 rounds AP, then one HP. Or 2 HP, then one FMJ.

2:That's an issue with the mapfiles, not possible to change.

3:Like telling people to read the frigging FAQ.txt located in the game folder?:-P

4:Might be possible to create a grenade without a bang, I'll look into it.

@IceShade

I haven't heard a peep from you about the new weapon sounds, are they to your satisfaction?

Kyle
01-09-2012, 02:35 AM
I have stopped adding features that makes the game easier, it ruins the fun. So for the new supply system I feel strongly about letting the evolution take it's course.
:-(

:-(

3:Like telling people to read the frigging FAQ.txt located in the game folder?
Well, maybe make it a little more detailed then, supplying step-by-step example wouldn't hurt. The taxing system was unknowingly bedeviling me. For instance, I didn't know why I had a -14 rating from the compound that I cleared to retrieve the CIA documents. After the bandits were all killed, it wasn't occupied by anyone other than a couple of the slaves I set free, the "Mayor" (that title for a small military installation that you control strikes me as odd, please consider changing it from "Mayor" to "Coordinator" or "Facilitator"), and the valet driver. It didn't dawn on me till much later that I had jacked up the tax rate at the Palinero bank before I had conquered anything. I just wanted to see if the system would give me free money, and it rightfully didn't. But even though I wasn't in control of anything at the time I made the request, it must've been applied to the military base as soon as I liberated it. I later lowered the tax rate to see if the -14 would go away, but Real Life kicked in and I haven't been able to see if that would affect any change in the positive direction. Players need to know that playing around with the tax rate at any bank, before any territory is conquered, is going to impact what happens as soon as a territory is taken over.

The same could be said in regards to building up a militia. I tried that shortly after I gained the radio, yet there wasn't a number displayed on the screen to show that a militia was being raised, nor were any men present whenever I returned to the base. I had plenty of money for the moderate number that I ordered, so I was left wondering "How long do I have to wait till I see any results?" And, I wondered, "What would they be armed with?" Could I arm them individually with weapons that I looted, or...? These kinds of questions weren't answered in the Read Me, and it's this kind of thing that I think that should be fleshed out, so players have a better idea as to what to expect.

:grin:
Yay!

1: I never felt that making mixed ammo clips was time consuming or annoying. And never buggy! And I like to change my variation as the game progresses, like having 2 rounds AP, then one HP. Or 2 HP, then one FMJ.
:cry:
*Sniff-sniff...sniff-sniff...*
Would it make it any easier if I said I could live with your style of ammo-mixing?

Puh-please... My...um...puppy...that had a bright red bow around its neck...just got ran over by a...semi truck...and my heart's already crushed...and I don't know how much more...pain...I could handle...sniff-sniff...

Tozmeister
01-09-2012, 02:40 PM
May I just echo Kyle and add my thanks and appreciation for all your hard work on BSM, Ras and others. Good work fella(s).

Was this assked earlier but can items be re-combined to form a stack? nothing uglier than 20 half empty cartons of ammo each with it's own slot in inventory.

What about the big ammo box's? can they be altered so spare ammo can be put back in? what if it was classed as just a very large magazine that didn't fit any gun?

Dajjal
01-09-2012, 05:35 PM
R@S I wanted to thank you as well for all your hard work modding this game. I have enjoyed it for a few years now and always come back to it to see what you've done. We owe you and all who helped a huge thank you!

I have one question about ver 1.9 - I no longer have the character type selection on first entry, and while the CGL goes up my character level stays at zero. It sayd I have points to spend but no dialog to spend them.

Am I missing a new dialogue at the start of the game?

Again, many thanks!

PS: 1.9 looks and sounds fantastic!

Dajjal
01-09-2012, 05:40 PM
see?

R@S
01-09-2012, 05:55 PM
@ Kyle
I know there should be a better written FAQ, and maybe someday someone with some spare time will write one. But until then you will have to actually learn as you go. About the militia and their numbers. Each time you order more men, you do that by increasing the city's budget. The amount you increase varies, as do the number of men you will be able to have on the budget and the current salary of one single man.

And all the militia doesn't always turn up right away, sometimes it takes a few days before the numbers fit the budget you set for the town. This is why you should keep an eye on the "Check Economy" page when using the field radio. It tells you the most important parts, and the number of militias you have.

I know I said that I wouldn't add things that would make the game easier, but I might have to do that anyways. I was thinking of writing out the rank on enemies tags, like "Bandit Leader" or "Rebel Commander". The reason behind this is actually not to make it easier, but to balance another new thing that might make the game even more difficult. I plan to boost enemy AI and it will be tactically prudent to choose the right targets. There are 5 types of enemy soldier for most factions, and they will be more intelligent, see and react better. By putting their rank in the tag will make it easier to spot the biggest threat, apart from what type of weapon he's carrying and what current action he's performing. I think it will be very fun testing this once I have it ready:)

@Tozmeister
The stacking of ammo boxes are hard to do, would require some serious exe hacking, well out of my league.

If I made the big ammo boxes as large clips you wouldn't be able to refill other clips from them. You would have to empty all the rounds first, then drop them on the clip you wanted filled. I know, weird, but those are the rules:)

@Dajjal
Open up the BlueSunMod.ini located in your 7.62\ini\ folder and set the ClassSystem to "1". Then you need to start a new game and select a class. Hope you haven't gotten too far into the game.

And welcome to the board:)

IceShade
01-09-2012, 05:56 PM
@ Kyle

3:Like telling people to read the frigging FAQ.txt located in the game folder?:-P

@IceShade

I haven't heard a peep from you about the new weapon sounds, are they to your satisfaction?

Oh I haven't played 7.62 in a looooooong time. I decided to try Jagged Alliance 2 with 1.13 and that reminded me of this, so I checked here again.

I just installed the latest version to check the sounds, fired a few from the shop and it's much better. It wasn't so much the quality, but simply that everything sounded the same.

It's impressive you still have the motivation to work on the mod after all this time. The 7.62 fanbase is rather limited!

R@S
01-09-2012, 06:08 PM
That's funny, I'm in the middle of the "Shady Job" mod, it's very fun. I played 1.13 a little, but I have played it so many times before and got bored.

Small pond you say?:-P

Well, I still like to play the game, and as long as that is the case, I'll continue.

Kyle
01-09-2012, 08:33 PM
I plan to boost enemy AI and it will be tactically prudent to choose the right targets. There are 5 types of enemy soldier for most factions, and they will be more intelligent, see and react better.

:shock:

8)

:-D

YESSSSS!!!!

R@S, what's the point in going over to play Back in Action, when it's not even moddable. With good ol' (buggy) 7.62, you can still play god, and have a cult of followers who ceaselessly worship you. BiA can't give you that! ;)

Seriously though, the above changes to the AI sounds AMAZING. I can't wait to try it!

In regards to the Read Me, perhaps I can contribute something to that. If you reply to any PMs that give fleshed out advice to others, feel free to send them my way. I'll organize them, and ensure that the spelling and grammar are correct, and send them your way on request. If, for whatever reason, they're not included in the .zip, then perhaps they could be offered in the first posting next to the latest release, and that way people could download it if they so desire. Let me know if you want to try this out.

I badly hope that BiA's developers are seriously reconsidering their "non-moddable" stance. Yes, I understand that it's partly due to having to pay someone else money to make the game moddable, and to ensure that there are tools available to make alterations to the game, but look at the years' worth of extra sales that the Bear's Pit community have undoubtedly driven (it was their work that convinced me to try JA2).

It would be interesting to know just how many sales of 7.62 have been generated since BSM's first release. Does anyone have any clues in regards to that?

R@S
01-10-2012, 06:17 PM
It would be interesting to know just how many sales of 7.62 have been generated since BSM's first release. Does anyone have any clues in regards to that?I don't know about the actual sales numbers, but I have noticed a steady increase of people playing the mod. I think there are five times as many people that played BSM 1.8 compared to the 0.8 version, and keep in mind that this is 3 years after the initial release of the game. And reading from the reviews over at gamersgate, the only thing that seems to give the game a good rating is the fact that the unofficial patch and BSM has fixed many of the vanilla bugs.

But that's enough of me tooting my own horn:grin:

Veilrider
01-10-2012, 08:07 PM
R@S,

Brilliant update with BSM 1.9. The sounds, the Kreb AK, the Walther W2000 - sheer brilliance. Well done to you and the team.

Your work on 7.62 keeps this as one of the games I return to time and time again, (it might be a small pond, but it has a hell of a lot of fish!)

By the sounds of things BSM 2.0 is going to be wicked, I can't wait. (Any chance of making the Delta Boonie hats a wearable helmet? - patterned to match the BSM outfits)

Keep up the good work

R@S
01-10-2012, 09:36 PM
I did some testing a while back trying to add a balaclava, but never managed to get the coordinates right. But that was by replacing the whole head of the character model, adding a new hat should be a little easier. But my texturing skills leaves much to be desired, and I'm not sure if TodeswolF has time and will to make textures that matches his uniforms for it. But if I manage to export the hat from the delta model, I promise I will try to contact him about it. If he can't, I'll post the texture file somewhere and hopefully someone with some free time and skill could do it instead. But this depends on my success in the exporting part, I'll start working on it later this week.

I also want to add a few new types of armor, I started working on that last weekend. I managed to figure some things out that was holding me back before, but once again it comes down to my inability to draw new textures. There are 2 types of armor, the ones using a model that gets added to the character model(the big clunky ones), and the ones that is "painted" on top of the normal merc textures. Not sure which would be best to use as a template, and if it's the big clunky one, I should actually export it first and let Geroj do some adjustments, maybe adding textures in the process. But Geroj has exams all January and wont have much time until next month, so that would have to wait.

The next release of HLA promises to be something out of the ordinary tho, Deadhead has been working on some new merc bodies, and from the test version I checked out it's going to be awesome. And it might also include some stuff from BSM for a change, I sent them my code for the hospital/treatment system. And they are talking about adding a toolkit for repairing weapons, much like in BSM. As it is in the 0.7 version you would have to take the weapon to a mechanic/trader to get it fixed.

Kyle
01-11-2012, 03:47 AM
The next release of HLA promises to be something out of the ordinary

Do you mean these...? http://hla.3dn.ru/_nw/0/42502229.jpg

Moments ago was the first time I laid eyes on the new suits, and the details are astounding!

One could actually setup Russian and American factions that wage platoon-sized wars on one another! Imagine stumbling across, or getting caught up in such terror inducing chaos!

Whose side would one take? Pretty mind blowing to even contemplate.

What are the chances of BSM getting the above work from the Hard Life Addon incorporated into it? What a boon that would be!

I'd be happy to take a crack at the armor vests, that's if you found my previous work worthy enough. If you can export it, and send it my way along with what you want done to it, I'll see what I can do. Let me know. no insult will be taken if you'd prefer to pass it along to somebody else.

The more you write here, the more excited I get for what you still have up your sleeve.

R@S
01-11-2012, 06:48 PM
What are the chances of BSM getting the above work from the Hard Life Addon incorporated into it? They have never turned down any of my requests, so chances are pretty good. But we have an understanding about these things, their content is to be released in their mod first, so we would have to wait until the next version of HLA.

I'd be happy to take a crack at the armor vests, that's if you found my previous work worthy enough. If you can export it, and send it my way along with what you want done to it, I'll see what I can do. Let me know. no insult will be taken if you'd prefer to pass it along to somebody else.As soon as I have exported the model I'll make the textures available, if you have time you are welcome to give it a go:)

I got a request about fixing the GUI when you have more than 7 mercs, so I threw together this little quick fix for that:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8241/shot20120111202437.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/shot20120111202437.jpg/)

Since some things in the GUI are hardcoded, there still are some issues.You have to click on the merc's forehead to select them, otherwise the one below will be activated, it's due to some hard coded stuff but it's as good as it's gonna get.

12 Merc GUI (http://www.mediafire.com/?fd4b8jczpc7d6w3)

Have fun

Kyle
01-11-2012, 10:11 PM
The only real concern that I have with taking a shot at the armor vest textures is that all of the graphics programs that I use are free, like GIMP 2 and Paint.Net.

It's been ages since I came up with those two camo uniforms, but I'm pretty sure that it was Paint.Net that can automatically make LOD versions of the textures (I'll look it up to make sure). The point though, is that even the graphics program that I used "worked" at creating the LODs, they still wouldn't work in the game itself.

I'm a bit foggy on the details right now (and I'm in a hurry and don't have time to comb through my emails), but I'm pretty sure that I sent them off to TodeswolF to fix, but after that, I didn't hear anything more.

Do you know if he was able to get them working (that's if they were desired for BSM)? To save myself a bit of potential embarrassment if they are in the game, I haven't encountered them yet. The furthest that I've been able to get playing BSM is about 4-5 missions on behalf of the rebels, and then Real Life rears its ugly head and I get sidetracked for a long time. By the time I have the opportunity to play BSM again, and I check here, there's a new version released, so I start allover once more. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

In any case, I'll "for sure" take a shot at the main image file, and if I can't get the LODs to work properly, I'll do what I've done in the past, which is pass the textures on to you or anybody else who has a better program that can make the LODs for us.

I'll be waiting for your call. :)

Hurzwa
01-12-2012, 08:57 AM
I got a request about fixing the GUI when you have more than 7 mercs, so I threw together this little quick fix for that:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8241/shot20120111202437.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/shot20120111202437.jpg/)

Well, that looks like a good portion of firepower :)

Is it possible to change the GUI so that it prompts the events on the upper part of the screen like in good ol' BE5? I like the map and want to read the events also. But with the 7.62 GUI I always have to switch between the modes.

R@S
01-12-2012, 03:24 PM
@Kyle
It seems I got a bit ahead of myself regarding the Boonie hat, and to add it to the game requires a lot more work than I had anticipated. Due to the whole structure of the character models I would have to add the mesh file to every RPC's AZP archive(a bit over 100 since the JA2 mercs were added). They did add berets in HLA a long time ago, but those were only for the "IMP" merc and only 8 AZP archives had to be altered, and this might be something I actually have time to do. We'll see what happens.

@Mick
I totally agree with you about the sharing of the mini-map and event log, and I seldom use the mini-map anymore. The bad news is that the text displayed on the screen can be considered hardcoded, so I can't do anything about it. :rolleyes:

@all
I'm almost ready to start testing the new weapon order script, and maybe I shouldn't call it that anymore since in the new script you can order clips, ammo boxes and weapon attachments too. Maybe I'll add the armor too, but that can wait until I have some working code.

So far you'll get a list of what's available depending on CGL and type(weapon, clip or attachment) and the price of the item. If you select one it gets added to your shopping cart list, a list where you can remove items as well btw. I haven't decided on the time it will take for the shipment to arrive but am leaning towards 2 days for sentimental reasons. Once the shipment arrives it can be picked up at your local bartender, but that might be changed to a centralized point to at least give it something negative.

I will also have to make a list of what items should be available, but that's the fun part which I'm saving to last, motivating myself to get it done quicker:cool:

IceShade
01-12-2012, 03:55 PM
They have never turned down any of my requests, so chances are pretty good. But we have an understanding about these things, their content is to be released in their mod first, so we would have to wait until the next version of HLA.

As soon as I have exported the model I'll make the textures available, if you have time you are welcome to give it a go:)

Since some things in the GUI are hardcoded, there still are some issues.You have to click on the merc's forehead to select them, otherwise the one below will be activated, it's due to some hard coded stuff but it's as good as it's gonna get.

12 Merc GUI (http://www.mediafire.com/?fd4b8jczpc7d6w3)

Have fun

Ahhh... a modder's pride is a weird thing.

Even for an unknown and obscure game such as this, the modder's pride comes first. Other mods are competition and no way we're going to give them our cool features.

Tozmeister
01-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Your idea for enemy AI ranks is great, but rather than being spoon fed the info could you incorporate into the uniforms in some way? so you have to do some work and look for the give away rank insignia.

Will higher rank AI's effect morale? ie:- If a squad's sergent does down the rest of the squad would flee but if the sergents on his feet he can keep the squad rallied round him?

Edit:- I thought JA:BiA would be the death of 7.62 but it looks like it's going to run and run.

R@S
01-12-2012, 05:50 PM
@Iceshade
Would you care to explain your comment a bit more? If you are going to insult someone, don't be vague about it:-P:grin:

@Tozmeister
That's just the thing, the gov, rebels and Palinero army all have their rank on epaulets. Knowing which is which, and the camera work involved looking at them closely, will most likely drive most player insane. Having their rank in the tag makes much more sense since the info is there already, it's about making the game more fun to play.

Since I have only done some initial testing on the AI I can't say for sure how they will react and how their morale will affect gameplay. The thing I said about their rank being of importance to the player was that a higher rank means higher skill and attribute stats. As I said, I've only done some initial testing, but the game is much more fun(read: harder) since the enemies react better and some of them are quite deadly if left alive for too long.

IceShade
01-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Just a jab in general.

"But we have an understanding about these things, their content is to be released in their mod first, so we would have to wait until the next version of HLA."

I don't understand this. They have no people to persuade to play their mod with cool gadgets and advertise their mod with "We have feature X! This other mod doesn't! Exclusive features!". The fanbase is too small for that. It's better to just share resources and make every mod as good as possible. Without mods, this game would have been really dead. It's already desolate. I don't understand the competition, or pride.

It's just the same with any mod in any game. In ArmA2, a certain guy who made really good models and vehicles did not want to share them with another really big popular mod, because he saw them as competition. It's just baffling. If all mod makers would just cooperate and share resources, the game the mods were made for would just live longer and be better overall.

R@S
01-12-2012, 06:45 PM
But we do share freely, and I understand why a guy working hard making something for HLA would want it to be available in it before anywhere else. And by doing so, making sure it works as it should before anyone else starts messing with it.

And BSM isn't really in competition with HLA(BSM is the quirky little brother:-)), and those who can usually play both since they offer a wide variety of additions and gameplay. This might change once BSM 2.0 is released and translated to Russian tho, at least then the number of players playing BSM might get closer to the number playing HLA, mostly due to the long periods between HLA releases.

And for the record, BSM wouldn't still be developed hadn't it been for the support we have gotten from the guys behind HLA. They have spent many, many hours educating me on how to mod the game. Learning the language of the source code was a very steep hill for me since I had no prior skills in programming, Deadhead's patience when teaching me was a monster task.

So I guess from the outside it might look like there isn't much communication between us, but that's wrong. And just because there is little activity in some of the forums doesn't mean there are noone playing the game. There are still thousands of people playing the game, and that number seems to keep growing steadily.

Kyle
01-13-2012, 01:13 AM
R@S,

Don't let an ounce of stress form on your brow over not being able to supply me with the default textures. You're plate is already substantially full. But if you happen to be able to get it to a state that you're happy with, don't hesitate to reach me.

That said, let me see if I can convince you to add even more to your plate! Yes indeed, I'm a generous guy, aren't I? ;)

Once the shipment arrives it can be picked up at your local bartender, but that might be changed to a centralized point to at least give it something negative.
I'm not keen on the idea of having the equipment orders shipped to just one centralized point. It's just seems too "gamey" to me.

But you could come up with a semi-viable back story that takes away the sense of it being "gamey." Perhaps that the region is such an unstable cauldron that arms restrictions are exceptionally tight, and that the deepest penetration that the suppliers can get "highly specialized" orders in is to one port, which is a neutral location, and one that is, sadly, routinely patrolled by potential combatants from every faction, some of whom are plain clothes agents with sly eyes and twitchy fingers... Man, I like the sounds of that! Alright, so it might work and not feel gamey... Another way to jab the Player in the eye for making special orders is that the order is randomly placed at the location, forcing him to have to sneak and skulk about checking out one shipping container and crate after another in the hopes that he finds his order sooner than later... Yeah, the more I talk, the more I like listening to myself! Imagine that! My wife wouldn't be surprised at all. :grin:

Another structure that you could establish seems a good deal more plausible to me than the above, and that's whenever an order arrives, there's a 15% chance of enemy plain clothes agents patrolling the area, as well as a 25% chance of enemy bounty hunters/mercs being entrenched in a sweet ambush position or two (randomly determined, of course!). These enemies would be "active" immediately upon the Player's spawning into the city/town. The items would ship to whatever locale one ordered them from, whether it be from a bar or a black market dealer. One could up the believability factor by reducing the odds of an ambush by 5-10% by ordering one's weapons through the black market, but as I mentioned before, this is a premium means of purchasing the products. Who knows, maybe the Player could be allowed the option of paying extra just to reduce the odds of his shipment being detected and used as a trap against him and his squadmates.

If you want to get really nasty with the "detected shipment" you could also include a 50% chance that by the time the Player gets there, the weapons have been removed from the area and taken to another city/town! Ohhhhh man, that would suck! By searching the corpses, the Player would find out where the location was, but would have to infiltrate the unfriendly area and search the trucks/crates/cargo containers in which his shipment was randomly placed.

I wouldn't place it too far way, at most, perhaps 1-3 locations away from the original delivery point. Again, randomly determined (the further away the shipment's been redirected to, the more time the enemy had in securing it before the Player arrived).

What I also like about the "detectable shipment" scenario is that it really increases the level of uncertainty. Suspense, even without direct action, can really get the adrenaline pumping in a good way.

Which causes me to wonder: is it possible to have plain clothes agents on a map without having their weapons already in hand? Talk about an immediate attention getter! It would be neat if the AI of undercover agents could be written so that they don't take immediate action for 3-7 minutes, using that time to get into position to do a sudden attack from the rear.

All of the above could also be balanced out by adjusting the likelihood of detection based on the Player's level and just how hated he is by opposing parties. The more of a thorn he is, and the more effective he becomes, the more resources are devoted to ambushing him where it's likely he's going to be, such as picking up a shipment of equipment. I would probably cap the maximum level of detectability at 45-50%, because, once again, ambiguity is exciting too.

It's hard for me to not imagine that with the new rank-based AI that you're working on that morale wouldn't be affected by whomever is killed. That exists in the title to a limited degree already, doesn't it? It sure seems like it to me, and makes perfect sense. If that could be increased even more, then more power to you. I also think that it's a good idea to include the target's rank in its dog tags. Yes, it's more believable to have to zoom in to search for the rank on the epaulets, but it's also a chore (like having to manually mix up one's ammo for magazines, but I'm not a stubborn bugger so I won't say another word about how annoying and time consuming such "features" are), so, to speed up gameplay and increase the "fun" factor, presenting a more simplified solution seems perfectly fine to me.

Having contributed to many mods over the years, I genuinely sympathize with badly wanting cool features that another modding team is working on, but I also totally understand why they'd want said features to appear in their own creation first. It's a matter of pride, and, of course, creator's choice. If there were a more formal "merging" of the two mods into one enormous supermod, then I'd expect the sharing to be more open, but then the circumstances are very different from what they are now.

I have a feeling that if the producers of Back in Action don't make some substantial allowances for deep modding, that a good deal of those frustrated players will be much more willing to finally come 7.62's way. It's been AGES since a title has adequately come close to inheriting Jagged Alliance 2's mantle, and the community rightfully devoted to that title are quite reasonably frustrated.

Turn play or not, there's nothing like 7.62+BSM's gunplay. And I routinely sing its praises wherever I go. If BiA ends up being another nosedive into the ground for this genre, then I'm completely confident that 7.62's and BSM's numbers will grow. And deservedly so.

The work is terrific, and deserves praise, even if due to engine limitations, it'll always be a "diamond in the rough."

Before I forget, R@S, could you alter the main BSM screen so that it also displays the current version number? Yes, I know that one could check the Read Me, but I'm a "proactively" minded kind of guy, and its display would certainly eliminate any future confusion about what version a person is/isn't playing.

Also, I advise including a Read Me in the very first compressed file with a brief description of how to install the mod (I'd just include the text from the very first post). This is in case anyone passes the files along to anyone else who isn't acquainted with this thread, and also in case it's ever offered up for download through another site.

Have a Great Weekend, All ! :)

Headshot
01-14-2012, 08:39 AM
When I try and download the Blue Sun Mod parts listed at the starting of this thread, I get to the Mediafire site and hit the download button I get A URL:Mal warning from my Avast and from Malwarebytes programs which blocks the actual web site address containing the files.

Now I have in the past disregarded this same type warning only to end up with a redirection virus or other nasty thing that is a pain in the butt to get rid of. Will someone please check out the actual site that is holding the files or re-upload them to a different site or location and or CHECK them for a virus. I have downloaded from Mediafire before without this kind of warning as well as other files I have downloaded today from other sites with no problems. My sons computer did the exact same thing with the warnings when I thought it might just be my machine and was going to have him download the files.

R@S
01-14-2012, 09:26 AM
@Kyle
The ordering script is already done, but making additions and changes is easy. The problem is time, I have a few other things that needs my attention, like to total revamp of all the shop inventories.

But this is how it works at this moment:
You'll get some dialog options of what types of items you want to order, weapons, clips and ammo boxes, armor and weapon attachments. Once one is selected, you'll get a list of what is available depending on your current CGL. Items will appear 1 CGL earlier than in most shops.

Once you click on an item it will get added to your shopping cart, and once you have browsed and selected the items you want, you go to the check-out counter. There you'll see all ordered items, the total price and the time it takes to deliver. Here you can also removed any items from the list, and you'll get a warning if you don't have enough money to complete the purchase. Due to engine limitations I have limited it to 3 simultaneous orders at any given time, but if you have 3 orders pending, the second the first order arrives you'll be able to place another one.

Once the order arrives it will be added to your personal storage at the bartenders. This is a shared storage space available at any bartender at any city, so all you would have to do to pick up your order is by going to the nearest city that has a bar. But as I mentioned earlier, I would like to add something negative to this, so I have been toying with the idea to add the shipment to the player safe at the Player Base instead. That would mean that the player would have to have the base under control, and having something shipped to your door step is something that happens every day in the real world.

@Headshot
I suspect the warning you get is related to the new "offensive" pop-up window mediafire has implemented. I don't think (and really hope) that it would do anything harmful to your system. As for the files themselves, I have checked them with Comodo and ClamWin and no haven't found anything wrong. You will get a warning once you run the BlueSunMod.exe, but the code injection is part of the fixed exe and nothing to be alarmed about, just add it to your exception list.

Kyle
01-14-2012, 03:18 PM
I have been toying with the idea to add the shipment to the player safe at the Player Base instead. That would mean that the player would have to have the base under control

Out of the concepts that you've presented, I like this shipment-structure the best. And it would be punitive, having to force the Player to travel all the way home in order to get the delivered goods.

Maybe you could still work in ambushes tied to shipment-detection as I mentioned above, although they would now have to happen along the potential travel routes to the Player's base instead of being setup at the city/town where the gear was originally ordered.

and having something shipped to your door step is something that happens every day in the real world

Under normal circumstances, I completely agree with you on this, however, the reason why I proposed what I did was due to the highly unstable circumstances that naturally befall a region caught in the grips of terror-inducing war. The entire region is highly dysfunctional, the postal system is barely operational (think about all of the "delivery" type missions the Player is asked to carry out in the game due to it not being trustworthy and for being inefficient), and foreign imperialist powers (and organized crime too) have their filthy and greedy hands into everything.

I feel that what I proposed reflects this, and furthermore, makes it highly personal. While every RPG (tactical or not) has "postman missions" in them, few game producers make them impact the Player's direct interests; the item/message mostly belongs to somebody else. It's a given, of course, that all of these postal-missions force the Player to put his life at risk, but far too few of them are wrapped directly around the Player's own desires. What I propose does. The awful hook of it is that the threat of one's shipments being discovered is always there. So it's not just a "one time" potential threat set against one's own interests, instead, it's chronic.

If such a system could be setup, it probably wouldn't be too much work to establish "exclusive" delivery lines/points of extravagant equipment to the Player, but that's only if he's willing to work with agents from MI6/SIS, OGA/CIA, SVR (Russia's foreign intelligence agency), and the like. Dancing with the devil has its advantages and most certainly its disadvantages.

It's too bad that what I'm proposing here is too complicated to implement, as I strongly feel that it would add a lot to the game, simultaneously touching the Player's wishes much more concretely while also constricting him into a deeper sense of the awful nature of operating in a hostile region.

casper357
01-15-2012, 10:29 AM
I think I have used all the maps I can from Reloaded, not sure if there are any left that could work as a random encounter map.

The english version of "Marauder - Man of Prey" is released and there is a lot of extra maps (~10 + 5 variants). It's possible to import them ?

Here is the list of maps :

avtaikin.azp
avtaikin_geom.mesh
avtaikin_grass.mesh
avtaikin_phys.mesh
Bazaar.azp
Bazaar_geom.mesh
Bazaar_grass.mesh
Bazaar_phys.mesh
dk.azp
DK_cut.azp
DK_cut_geom.mesh
dk_cut_grass.mesh
DK_cut_phys.mesh
dk_geom.mesh
dk_grass.mesh
dk_phys.mesh
final.azp
Final_cut.azp
Final_cut_geom.mesh
final_cut_grass.mesh
Final_cut_phys.mesh
final_geom.mesh
final_grass.mesh
final_phys.mesh
home1.azp
home1_geom.mesh
home1_grass.mesh
home1_phys.mesh
home2.azp
home2_geom.mesh
home2_grass.mesh
home2_phys.mesh
Home3.azp
Home3_geom.mesh
Home3_grass.mesh
Home3_phys.mesh
menu.azp
menu_geom.mesh
menu_grass.mesh
menu_phys.mesh
MILITARYBASE.azp
MILITARYBASE_geom.mesh
MILITARYBASE_grass.mesh
MILITARYBASE_phys.mesh
Pentagon.azp
PENTAGON_CUT.azp
PENTAGON_CUT_geom.mesh
Pentagon_cut_grass.mesh
PENTAGON_CUT_phys.mesh
Pentagon_geom.mesh
Pentagon_grass.mesh
Pentagon_phys.mesh
rreserve2.azp
rreserve2_geom.mesh
rreserve2_grass.mesh
rreserve2_phys.mesh
ruins_cut.azp
ruins_cut_geom.mesh
ruins_cut_grass.mesh
ruins_cut_phys.mesh
ruins_night.azp
ruins_night_geom.mesh
ruins_night_grass.mesh
ruins_night_phys.mesh
Rusreserve1.azp
Rusreserve1_geom.mesh
Rusreserve1_grass.mesh
Rusreserve1_phys.mesh
rvsn1.azp
rvsn1_geom.mesh
rvsn1_grass.mesh
rvsn1_phys.mesh
Rvsn2.azp
Rvsn2_geom.mesh
Rvsn2_grass.mesh
Rvsn2_phys.mesh

ivanra78
01-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I know that this question is off topic, but where did u find Marauder - Man of Prey, with english translation? Thanks

Melthorse
01-15-2012, 05:49 PM
I know that this question is off topic, but where did u find Marauder - Man of Prey, with english translation? Thanks

@casper357: That my question too.

@ R@S: after installing the "12 Merc GUI" must i start an new game?

R@S
01-15-2012, 06:20 PM
@Kyle
It's very disappointing that you haven't played the game more, then you's have known about the Boblings and their gun smuggling business.

@Casper
I did try it and it seems they are not compatible, the gane engine has evolved too much.

@Melthorse
No new game is required for the new GUI, you can even increase the merc number in the BlueSunMod.ini without restarting your current game.

And it's very nice to see you all come back to this game, I guess the news about Bia sparked your interest again:)

Kyle
01-15-2012, 07:07 PM
where did u find Marauder - Man of Prey, with english translation?

It's been quite a while since I even thought about this title. I thought that when the 7.62 production went defunct, that Man of Prey was never finished. Looks like I was wrong.

From the Google keyword search that I did, it looks like someone used Google Translate to translate the Russian text into English, although he warns that in spite of his best efforts, a good deal of it doesn't make any sense. The translations were done well enough that one can successfully interface with the game and play it, although the translator of the English Pack warns that the title is extremely hard, even on the Easy setting.

No, I did NOT download the game, just the pack (it was only 2MB in size so I knew I wasn't getting the title).

From the very recent and non-legitimate means of acquiring the game in English, I'm going to make a haphazard guess that the "English" version of the game are majorly-good translations, or...?

R@S, the HLA team, did they port over their new bodies over from Man of Prey, or...?

The U.S. troops in MoP look...weird...with the red lenses. The look of the full-head helmet doesn't bother me a bit, as the game is set in a fictional universe and they probably went with the whole "Land Warrior" concept the Pentagon was pimping for a while. If that red lens was made clear or honey-colored, with a couple of light-blue colored HUD projections on it, that would then fit me perfectly fine.

I've done several keyword searches for the game to legitimately buy it, but have had no luck. Does anyone know any differently? I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I could, especially since it looks like the developers of the game made the StarForce protection optional in the patches. I hate StarForce, and there's no way I'd purchase it if it couldn't be fully disabled/removed altogether.

I'm a big supporter of DRM-free titles. This Christmas I purchased all of the classic isometric Dungeons & Dragons RPGs through GOG.com at an extra cost of $5 more than buying all of them collected together on a special 2 disc DVD collection available at the mall. I'd rather see GOG.com get my money.

But back on target...

The world of Man of Prey looks a lot more fleshed out than 7.62. There's a great deal more furniture to contend with, and it looks like one can actually move through piles of junk and debris, and, better yet, use it for concealment and cover. In 7.62, it frustrates me to no end to see the hurricane ravaged portions of the region, and one can't even walk over the debris, let alone actually use it tactically. The same goes for the wrecked buildings too, and that holds true for even the buildings that are lightly damaged.

In any case, it would be great to get those maps into BSM, although I'd strongly consider clustering them together into their own region, either far north or far south where the climate could be more plausibly explained as being temperate in nature. Who knows, maybe a large slavic community settled there in a fashion far more benign than how Nazis were smuggled out of Germany by the U.S. and the Vatican to Argentina, Brazil, and the like. Maybe all of those immigrant Central/Eastern Europeans think that their vodkas taste supremely better with the larva from the hypopta agavis moth floating in them? A slavic-form of "tequila?" :grin: Seeing all of that European architecture lit by the tropical sun might be a bit surreal on the eyes too - hey, I want to see it!

Has anyone here played Man of Prey? Is the tactical gameplay as solid as 7.62's, and is its storyline more engrossing? The GUI looks really stripped down, but that doesn't automatically mean that it's tactically inferior than 7.62. Any opinions...?

Oh, and R@S, how does one get the 12-man GUI installed in BSM? Do I have to start my game allover again, or can I keep using my Saves, or...?

Kyle
01-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Oops!

It looks like you replied to the earlier posters' questions as I was writing up my own! :grin:

Yes, I did get as far as the rather bizarre (yet refreshing) Bobling brothers and their smuggling trade at the port. I like them. :-)

I still need to know how to install your 12-man GUI though.

Too bad that the engine's changed too much to integrate those maps into 7.62's universe.

My other questions above still stand though. Any answers to them in regards to the quality of Man of Prey and sites to legitimately purchase it would be greatly appreciated. :)

R@S
01-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Extract the archive to you game installation folder, it should add a BMP folder to your game diractory if all goes as it should. But to be sure it works it is better to extract it to a temporary folder first, then copy the BMP folder to your 7.62 folder.

And while I am posting, there was a question about the new CheyTac intervention system over at Taktikzone.de that I wanted to answer, so if there is anyone reading this with an account there, please pass on my answer to GNU.

The sniper must use a weapon from the list below and stay within 5 meters of the spotter.

The spotter must have the Vector 21 laser rangefinder in his hands and the CheyTac Advanced Ballistic Computer in his inventory.

Right-click on the ABC(CheyTac Advanced Ballistic Computer) and select "Calculate Input" and the sniper will get a boost in Sniping and shooting skills.

If the sniper or spotter moves away, or any of them removes the items they are holding in their hands, the boost the sniper got will slowly turn back to their original settings.

Weapons included in this system:
- CheyTac M200 (.408 CheyTac)
- Gepard GM6 Lynx (.50 BMG)
- Accuracy International AS50 (.50 BMG)
- Barrett M107 (.50 BMG)
- Barrett M90 (.50 BMG)
- Barrett M82A3 (.50 BMG)

casper357
01-15-2012, 10:24 PM
@ R@S : ok too bad it's the only thing interesting in the game.

@Melthorse @ivanra78 : you don't want to know. I love 7.62 and I love it much with BSM but Marauder is a very shitty game. It's only a series of missions and all the good things of 7.62 are gone. There are also ridiculous bugs, for example you can't get to the settings menu, it crashes the game...
If you still want to know, it's published by Buka (http://www.buka.ru/) in english.

Kyle
01-15-2012, 11:11 PM
and all the good things of 7.62 are gone.

Wow. That's very sad to hear. :cry:

Looks like I'm giving up buying the thing. It would be interesting to hear how the production went so poorly...

Thank you R@S for the installation instructions. I'm going to wait on implementing it now, as I started a new game, and won't be needing it till I build up enough money to recruit beyond six.

ZK2112
01-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Hi, I have a question about BSM.

OK one of the main things that puts me off about 7.62 is your allies going hostile from accidental damage especially since they don't mind grenading or outright shooting my guys in the back. I've used GuineaPig's ini which gives you some leeway on harming civilians but has anything been done in BSM to keep your allies from going berserk from a single grenade fragment?

Kyle
01-17-2012, 01:12 AM
It's funny that you bring this up when you did, because last night I escorted Miguel to prison, and we then get ambushed by 8 smugglers. Since there's only one entrance point to the prison, I set my three men up to triangulate and concentrate their fire on the single doorway.

During the course of the battle, the smugglers threw three grenades at the prison, none of which cleared the wall. One exploded immediately in front of/slightly below the guard tower, another detonated right near the exterior entrance of the gate control booth, and the third sounded like it exploded right up against the base of the wall, where two guards were no more than 7 m. away.

One would expect the prison guards to start unleashing righteous lead on the smugglers assaulting their prison, right? Wrong! :evil:

Instead, they just kept on calmly doing their sentry duties. That is until I sent Pquito up top in the guard tower, he was easily 2 m. to the side of the guard, and every time he opened up on a smuggler, all of the prison personnel became hostile to my men, even though no one was directing rounds their direction!

When I exited the prison, I discovered that one of the guards by the gate control booth was bleeding out, and doubtless due to receiving shrapnel from a smuggler's frag.

I can understand why guards native to an area would have to be "immune" to the incoming rounds of enemies, so that it would prevent the Player from gaming the system by deliberately placing men immediately behind guards to use them as human shields and in the hopes of provoking them to align themselves to the Player's cause, but what happened last night was ridiculous. Two grenades should be more than enough to compel the sentries to respond.

Is there any way to make adjustments to the neutral armed AI that are more reasonable?

R@S
01-17-2012, 10:59 AM
I've used GuineaPig's ini which gives you some leeway on harming civilians but has anything been done in BSM to keep your allies from going berserk from a single grenade fragment?Sure, it can be done, and I already have the code ready for testing. The problem is that there might be some unforeseen consequences, and it could be used as an exploit. I think the exploit can be circumvented by having the friendly fire count at 2 or 3, so if the testing goes well I will simply add an on/off switch in the ini. I always forget how much guinneapig's work is part of the foundation of BSM, so I'll take this opportunity to give big ups to him for his contributions.:grin:

ZK2112
01-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not qualified to comment on potential technical issues:)

As for exploits that's up to the player. I mean in the base game you can select easy money and buy guns from the sporting goods dealer and then sell them for a profit to the bartender. Worse you can follow the rebels attacking towns and spectate from someplace safe and then scoop up all the guns, armor, grenades and other goodies.

R@S
01-17-2012, 02:07 PM
As for exploits that's up to the player. I mean in the base game you can select easy money and buy guns from the sporting goods dealer and then sell them for a profit to the bartender. Worse you can follow the rebels attacking towns and spectate from someplace safe and then scoop up all the guns, armor, grenades and other goodies.I know you are right and that I should relax my sphincter when it comes to what other players might do with their game, but... I like having a tight one:grin:

But yeah, not being forced to avoid friendlies when they happen to occupy a good spot will actually increase the tactical possibilities. So it will be part of the test version and hopefully it will work well and not cause any other problems with group relationships.

Veilrider
01-17-2012, 07:25 PM
R@S,

If there is no possibilty of new maps would it be possible to recylce some of the old/reloaded ones into additional scenarios?

I had a crazy thought that maybe you could take Santa Maria, remove all the civilians from it (AKA Organ Donars - Collatoral just doesn't describe them) and turn it into something like the golden turtle mission from E5?
- A large prize defended by Immortal's - Maybe a cache of unique guns, or a helicopter for Skyrider. A proper use all your ammo, resort to pistols, grenades etc type of battle. (Maybe with a dose of the old NHS free health service at the end of it!)

(- Maybe it could even start by springing the Shaman from El Vertigo al la Tanya.)

Another idea meandering across my brain is some hostage rescue missions, set in the existing towns, but with all the hostiles and victim in a CQB setting. (All the lovely CQB weapons in BSM, and nowhere to play with them!) Putting less-armoured targets in these settings would keep the player using pistols and sub-machine guns into the high CGLs as they would have a benefit in these types of mission.

Just my tuppence worth, it's easy to think of the ideas, far harder to implement them.

R@S
01-17-2012, 09:28 PM
I have played with the recycle idea and there has been one thing holding me back. The boxes on those maps are shared, so no matter what you do, if it's in the box in Santa-Maria, it will be in the new one as well.

But since we have no map editor, it might be the only way to add "new" ones. And like you, I really like the CQB fights you get in cities. I have added a few such missions, the Paco ones, to the game, but those are fairly early on and you don't have a very big selection of weapons. Well, you actually do now that there is a lot of WW2 stuff added, but it would still be fun with more of those type of battles.

Adding a few scenarios with some of the city maps where all the normal people are removed, is a good idea. It would have to be at a fairly high CGL, but it would be fun. I'll see what I can throw together when I have time. I have a pretty full work-load ATM, with the new shop inventory to go though, and updating most of the enemy load-outs. But the latter needs to wait until I have added all the weapons I plan to for the 2.0 release, so I might be able to squeeze something together in-between.

And don't be afraid of throwing out ideas, even if they prove to be impossible, more often than not do they at least lead to new ideas that are possible.

Veilrider
01-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks R@S

The battles I always enjoyed most in E5 were those were you ended up firing all your weapons.
Not just a 50m gun battle, but having to get in close to flush out the enemies in the buildings.
Even if it was only one or two it always made carrying a pistol/shotgun/SMG a worthwhile option. The speed advantage beat the damage advantage, and with the likes of AFP's Immortals MP7, you got a lot of both.

With the likes of Santa Maria, the stuff in the boxes is fairly low level so I don't think it would be a game breaker if you made the new missions high enough cgl. You've (rightly) nerfed the easy access weapons.

Kyle
01-18-2012, 01:21 AM
ended up firing all your weapons

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from.

What's always somewhat intimidated me is the sense of tension and fear that one can experience in this game. The fact that one can zoom in so close to see what's happening makes it a more visceral experience.

I recently posted at the Bear Pit forum that the biggest drawbacks to me in regards to this engine has been the lack of fully accessible buildings. By that I also mean being able to blow in walls. But those times where one has to take advantage of interior and exterior spaces simultaneously, well, it gets hard to breathe sometimes.

I'm all for "recycling" urban centers for combat. R@S, is there any way to get the civilians to flee an area (run far away and then fade out as they're removed from the map), and/or have them huddle together in one or (at most) two rooms of enter-able buildings? This would be a believable way to handle them, rather than have them crisscrossing streets.

Also, and I'm just throwing this out there partly out of curiosity, but is it possible to port over STALKER models into the game? STALKER's developers have seriously given their blessing for porting over their content to be used in mods.

R@S
01-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Sorry guys, going to have to make a short reply, feeling a bit under the weather and are afraid of rambling incoherently:)

I'll make a few CQB mission with enemies equipped with MP7's, KRISS Super V's and other high quality CQB weapons. Promise I'll get started once I feel better.

Models from STALKER can be imported, if they don't have too many polys, which usually is the case.

Veilrider
01-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks R@S,

I think I'll go practice those CQB skills.

(I Hope you feel better soon.)

Kyle
01-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Rest as much as possible, and get some hot chicken soup.

I hope that you feel much better soon.

Kyle
01-19-2012, 03:28 AM
R@S,

(or anyone else who happens to know the answer), was the class system disabled for ver. 1.9 of the mod? I've leveled up, but every time I select "class parameters and skills" nothing gets listed to select.

Matter of fact, I don't recall even selecting my class for Kurt.

Only respond to this if you're feeling healthy. Rest!

Badbru
01-19-2012, 05:56 AM
was the class system disabled for ver. 1.9 of the mod?

Yes it was but can be re-enabled. Open up the .ini file and change the setting from 0 to 1 or vice versa. Save .ini. Requires a new game to take effect though.

myte1why
01-19-2012, 04:24 PM
R@S,

I want to ask non-mod question for, you know new JA comes with similar system as 7.62 are you gone look for it? yeh you make very good work with 7.62 but in JA community like Bearpit or JAgalaxy to many modders work together it seems much easier to crate mod that you want to build there.
I wander are you gone a look for it?

Veilrider
01-19-2012, 07:13 PM
R@S,

Would it be possible in BSM 2.0 to add something like the PO 3.5 x 21 scope for the AK's.

It's kind of a Russian equivelent to the ACOG.
(http://www.kremlinoptics.com/catalog/item/rifle_scope_po_3_5x21_p.html)

Can I also put in a request for an eotech type open red dot scope for the HK mount? They would sit nicely on an MP5 or G3KA4.

Just to keep you busy :)

D_F_N
01-19-2012, 09:56 PM
@ myte1why

post #798, page #80

Kyle
01-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the answer Badbru.

Ugh. I'm not going to restart the game though to enable it. I'll just play the game "as is" till R@S releases the next version.

Could someone tell me why it was disabled? Balance issues? Was it irrelevant? Too many people didn't like it, or...?

Headshot
01-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Ok the basic training missions were fun, but after I completed them and was taken back to Santa Maria, where I accepted the mission, Paquito is nowhere to be found. I was given my gear back and went back into the bar to speak with the bartender but he has no dialog for what happened to my translator / companion?

This is annoying to say the least. The car we came in is still here WTH.

So what now, and do all the extra missions, HLA, and the history of weapons, etc. do this?

Headshot

Loss Leader
01-20-2012, 03:15 AM
Its probably been discussed somewhere before but I havent come across it either here or on the BSM forum ,but what about Mortars? ala JA2? The trajectoral aspect of it seems to be more or less in the game with the parabolic hipshop you get with grenade launchers, but its range can be a tiny bit limited, New anims for troops would be the issue im guessing?

Needless to say BSM is amazing already ,good work thank you etc!

R@S
01-20-2012, 04:12 PM
@Veilrider
I'll see if Geroj feels up for it and if he can take some time away from his studies, I'd like to add the PO 3.5 x 21 scope as well. As for the EOTech with HK mount I'll ask cyr_v if we can use his, he's the one that made such things for HLA.

@Kyle
Thanks for your concern, I'm starting to feel better today so I think the worst is over.
The reason the class and level up system is turned off by default is weird and would take too long to explain. But in the 2.0 version it will be turned on as default again. It is actually a very popular system, at least for those who has actually tried it. And now it seems like BiA will have a similar system, but not as advanced by the looks of it.:-P

@Headshot
Paquito is somewhere in the sector you left him, so look around a bit more. Start by checking near the entry points. All three mini-campaigns share this quirk, any companion will stay in a random location in the sector you left them(started campaign). If you can't find them, exit the sector, travel a bit and then return, if you are lucky they might be in a spot where they are easier to find.

@Loss Leader
There might be mortars in the future, I think one of our Russian friends are working on it. But it's a very complex thing to add, so it's not possible to say if it will done. I might look into it as well, when I have some spare time, but then it would be moar of a tweak solution than a good one.

Kyle
01-20-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm happy to hear that you "turned the corner" and are finally starting to feel better. Being sick SUCKS. The only upside to it is the joy one feels as one's body finally starts kicking the illness' butt.

I'm happy to hear that your class based system is popular with those that have tried it. The extra degree of control is nice to have, and allows more influence on the tactics that are exercised out on the field.

I'm not surprised that what's been cooked up for BSM is more robust than what's been done for Back in Action, especially after the announcement that there won't be any fog of war in the game.

Such a design decision to me is just stupefying. Listen to any veteran, or read any firsthand account of a veteran's recollection of combat, and the majority of their experiences is tied to the great threat of the fog of war. It's what causes terror in the hearts of all the combatants, no matter which side of the conflict they're on. A person's willingness to step into The Great Unknown is what courage is all about. Hopefully it's courage mated with intelligent choices, and a good deal of plain Luck as well.

Last night, I had my squad attack the base that holds the documents that Lond wants. I headed straight to the nearest warehouse, closed the doors behind us, and assigned three men to the two front doors and Kelly to the single rear one. Would I have liked to have her firepower devoted to another one of the front doors? You bet. But not knowing exactly where the enemy were outside meant that I had to deal with the economics that I had, so the opportunity cost of covering our backs was the loss of badly needed firepower to the front.

BiA's system is going to make all of that critical thinking, all of that suspense, just nonexistent!

The only way that I'll ever purchase that title is that if they release modding utilities robust enough to do away with the badly misdirected game mechanics. I could care less about how awesome the graphics are. Really.

I have to say though, that at the rate that the PC gaming producers are insisting on including heavy-handed "punish the consumer" DRM, limited installations, and the like, the more that I'm choked out from buying products I'm interested in. Last night, Crysis Maximum Edition was for sale on Amazon.com for just $2.99, but there's no way I'm ever going to install it on my system with the crap that comes with it. If BiA has SecuROM, or any other invasive ware on it, I won't be getting it no matter how awesome it is.

I'm happy that an attempt's going to be made at getting more Russian optics into the game. Let's hope that it works out.

In regards to the mortars, one of the things that I like most about 7.62 is its strict focus on infantry vs. infantry parameters. I would prefer to have lightly armed and armored vehicles to make an appearance before mortars, but I think that getting operable vehicles that can be crewed is more than likely a massive endeavor, so I've never even mentioned it before till now. If mortars can be made a reality, then great, if not, then great too.

I hope that by the time you read this that you're all better! :)

ZK2112
01-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks R@s. I'll be keeping my eyes open for the next BSM version.

JA:BIA huh? I've just had a feeling from the day it was announced it was going to be bad. I don't have much faith in bitComposer, big difference between JA and Zoo Tycoon:) And when they pulled that "give us your opinions on turn based combat" crap I lost what little interest I had.

IceShade
01-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Playing JA2 gives me ideas as well. :P

Is it possible to give magazine counters different colours, based on their contents? (AP ammo red, HP blue, etc). And is it possible to obscure these counters when in combat?

R@S
01-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Sorry, I can't do anything regarding the text displayed for the ammo count without that part of the source code, which isn't available. But I have thought about adding color coding for the clips, leaving it up to the player to keep track on what they put into them. I can make new clips that have red or blue tags and add them to the stores, but I can't prevent the player from putting HP bullets in an AP clip once it's empty. And the task of editing the model skin as well as the shop image for all those clips would take a lot of time, maybe you can take some time away from playing JA2 and help out?:-P

Thank you very much heimdal, not just for passing on my message, but also for giving such good support to out German friends, vielen dank:)

Kyle
01-21-2012, 06:35 PM
leaving it up to the player to keep track on what they put into them

Brilliant!

If you're going to follow through on the color-coded magazines, perhaps go with three different codes, something like:

default (for ball/FMJ rounds)

blue (for hollow point or whatever rounds)

red (for armor piercing or whatever rounds)

and

violet (for mixed magazines of the above).

Perhaps just make it look like there's a single strip of colored masking tape stuck around the magazine, near its bottom.

Maybe orange too, for whatever mix.

Nice idea with the color coding of the magazines. Hope it works out.

By the way, has anyone here played "Alfa Antiterror"? If so, could I get some two sentence summations as to whether or not its worth purchasing. Thanks! :)

Veilrider
01-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Kyle: Alfa Antiterror

In my opinion

Yes I've played it, No I wouldn't recommend it. The Plan and Go system it uses is no fun for battles. Not a patch on E5/7.62.

Kyle
01-21-2012, 09:17 PM
No I wouldn't recommend it. The Plan and Go system it uses is no fun for battles.

Hmm...interesting.

Have you ever played any of Battlefront.com's "Combat Mission" series? Particularly the very first one, set during WWII? To myself the whole "plan and go" genre is quite addictive, as it really makes you feel quite helpless to give these orders and then see the morale of your men break because they turn a corner and suddenly encounter two platoons charging their way.

This level of realism is believable to me, and I'm more than willing to work with it.

The second Combat Mission series, set during "modern" times, is also quite good, although I gave up playing it altogether because for some inconceivable design decision, they decided to drop the easy-to-readjust waypoint system to one of delete-EVERY-waypoint to get to the one that needs actual repositioning. What a time killer that is!

Do you just "hate" the whole "plan and go" game mechanics no matter what title uses it, or is it just certain titles (such as Alfa) that you don't care for because they did a poor job of utilizing it?

Because if you strongly dislike "plan and go," then I'll probably still be tempted to buy it unless some other major negative is pointed out, such as brain dead AI.

Veilrider
01-22-2012, 10:19 AM
It's been a while since I played it, but my abiding memory is of frustration.

Gamers gate have it for €9/€10, try it and see.

silentype2121
01-24-2012, 02:30 AM
Hi all. First time posting long time follower of this forum. let me just start off by thanking you R@s and your team Wozzi, Deadhead, Nightprowler, TodeswolF, toneone1, guineapig, Dodger Bullet, theBrain, legionnaire=M=, Matze, D_F_N & Geroj for making me endlessly love this game even more with your continued work on the BLUE SUN MOD.
Reading that 2.0 may be the last update i felt the need to register and say a personal thank you to all you guys and to tell you what an amazing job you all have done. So Thank You!!!

silentype2121
01-24-2012, 03:24 AM
@Kyle

Yea i played Alfa: Antiterror quite abit. Its gameplay is alot like Frozen Synapse and requires a lot of well thought out tactics and lets you hope that the brilliant AI doesn't figure out what you are trying to do. And no the AI is not dumb at all. They will try take cover, suppress you, snipe you and flank you. And yea they know how to do it way better than you. I once hand my entire 5 man squad pinned by two well placed guys wielding PKMs while their other guys jumped the wall behind me and finished my entire team off with their AKs. I couldn't do anything but cry. Did i mention Iron man mode is on by default :)

As for for your soldiers they are not mindless machines, they will get scared/ panic, comment/ celebrate/ cry for help, dive for the nearest cover (Like in Company of Heroes). You and make them peek around corners lean and shoot around corners, lob a nade around said corner, jump high and low walls, climb on top of low buildings etc. They also gain exp and level up in campaign mode. Or you can play skirmish, hotseat or via Lan.

The maps are huge with lots of options and force players to choose the best weapon for the squad members. some guns can lay down heavy suppression but have to be fired from prone position. Others let the soldier move to flank but do little damage, Or go silent and flash-less with your suppressed guns all the while praying that the soldier you have been grooming and pumping money in to train for the last 3 levels doesnt get sniped from a well hidden sniper while peeking is head around a corner. Or those assholes with the PKMs spots him first :evil:.

Only downside is the inability to select special attachments like lasers etc. or i should say i haven't reached that far in game yet to see. [modding anyone ;)]

All in all the game is fun if you like a challenge and know that war is hell and seeing your well thought out millitary plan go through makes you feel like you are wearing stars on your shoulders to work the next day as though u are a general tht lead your men through hell and back and cant wait to get home from work and tackle the next level :D

Try the Demo first though. It will show you if you can be separated the boys.

Kyle
01-24-2012, 09:32 PM
@Kyle

Its gameplay is alot like Frozen Synapse and requires a lot of well thought out tactics and lets you hope that the brilliant AI doesn't figure out what you are trying to do. And no the AI is not dumb at all. They will try take cover, suppress you, snipe you and flank you. And yea they know how to do it way better than you. I once hand my entire 5 man squad pinned by two well placed guys wielding PKMs while their other guys jumped the wall behind me and finished my entire team off with their AKs. I couldn't do anything but cry. Did i mention Iron man mode is on by default :)

As for for your soldiers they are not mindless machines, they will get scared/ panic, comment/ celebrate/ cry for help, dive for the nearest cover (Like in Company of Heroes). You and make them peek around corners lean and shoot around corners, lob a nade around said corner, jump high and low walls, climb on top of low buildings etc. They also gain exp and level up in campaign mode.

The maps are huge with lots of options and force players to choose the best weapon for the squad members. some guns can lay down heavy suppression but have to be fired from prone position. Others let the soldier move to flank but do little damage, Or go silent and flash-less with your suppressed guns all the while praying that the soldier you have been grooming and pumping money in to train for the last 3 levels doesnt get sniped from a well hidden sniper while peeking is head around a corner. Or those assholes with the PKMs spots him first :evil:.

Only downside is the inability to select special attachments like lasers etc. or i should say i haven't reached that far in game yet to see. [modding anyone ;)]

All in all the game is fun if you like a challenge and know that war is hell and seeing your well thought out millitary plan go through makes you feel like you are wearing stars on your shoulders to work the next day as though u are a general tht lead your men through hell and back and cant wait to get home from work and tackle the next level :D

:shock:
This sounds like the type of title that I am exactly looking for!

Thank you for your nicely detailed input. I am definitely going to purchase this title from Gamer's Gate as soon as it goes on sale. It's "DRM free" too, so that's a huge plus in regards to attracting the wee bit of money that I have in my too-small wallet.

Modeling morale is very important to me. Combat Mission does an excellent job at this, and from the sounds of what you're describing to me, ALFA's developers hit the nail on the head.

I was looking up information on the game, and came across actual combat footage featuring Russian SF. It was very telling when a group of 5-6 heavily armored and armed Spetsnaz formed a line, and started hugging a wall of a building. Suddenly, rounds were fired at the lead man, and ALL of them came running back towards the cameraman, a distance of 8-9 m. from the corner that started receiving fire.

Yeah, preserving one's own life is very poorly modeled in most every title that I can think of. Seeing the "best of the best" immediately retreat from incoming rounds like that says a lot on the power of that instinct.

Thanks again for your help.
:)

kjeltringen
01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Hello everyone!
I have been playing for a few hours now, and I'm liking it.
But it's not all that fun on my own. I know you can hire mercs from Mercat the bars, but are there other mercs to be found?
Help would be appreciated

R@S
01-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Hello everyone!
I have been playing for a few hours now, and I'm liking it.
But it's not all that fun on my own. I know you can hire mercs from Mercat the bars, but are there other mercs to be found?
Help would be appreciated
Talk to the bartender, ask him to show you what he's got, then select the "Borrow radio and call M.E.R.C." option. You'll get a chance to browse through all the mercs, and if you're short on money, buy a slave instead;)

And welcome to the board, both you and silentype

Kyle
01-28-2012, 11:10 PM
And welcome to the board

Yes indeed. The more the merrier!

You are in for a TREAT playing this mod!

Another option that you could pursue in regards to hiring mercs, is to take on the mission to retrieve the CIA files from the small base for Lond. Once the base is cleared, and one digs around enough, one will find a portable radio that allows for a lot of believable communications options, including those of hiring mercs! Bars no longer needed.

R@S, I'm not asking this to annoy you, although I know from firsthand experience how annoying this question is to receive as a mod developer, but due to some current and future Real Life intrusions into my schedule, my free time is going to get nipped in some major ways. That said, could you give me a ballpark figure as to when the next release of BSM is likely to be? If it's relatively soon, I'll give up playing BSM and focus on something else, and vice versa if it's a ways away.

If you don't know, that's perfectly fine. I just don't want you hating me for asking The Ultimate Annoying Question. Remember, I LOVE your mod! And since this mod's your "baby," that means that we're like family, right? :grin:

Yours!

Headshot
01-29-2012, 05:25 AM
Hopefully this is a simple question.

How much stuff can the safe / storage at your base ( once captured ) hold and why is it not linked ( after capture ) to your safe / storage area from the bars?

Transferring all the stuff manually is a pain in the butt, so before I start hauling all the loads, can you give me an idea on how much it can hold or should I just be using the bars storage?

An additional question does the playing for yourself option mean I really dont have to do the rebel nor government missions and still be find the fugitive?

Headshot

P.S. how many free mercs like Paquito, Benicia, and Kelly are available to actually stay with you, not like Skyrider etc and where can they be found? I like doing a locals only type of game without hired help so to speak.
I am now at player lvl 9 and cgl 7

R@S
01-29-2012, 08:04 AM
@Kyle
The test version will be ready in two weeks, and official release in a month, hopefully.

@Headshot
The safes and storage spaces has no limit, sorry you feel the various handling task frustrating, I do too at times. I could link the bartender storage space to the player safe, but then I would have to put a limit on when you can access it at the bar. There are some things the the player safe that should only be access after you conquer the base.

Yes, the play for yourself campaign will reveal the fugitive's location.

There is one more free merc beside the ones you mentioned.

And I'm keeping myself short and to the point because I haven't had my morning coffee yet, no other reason, honest:)

D_F_N
01-29-2012, 09:32 AM
@Headshot , R@S

There are, at least, two other free mercs. That you can have permanent in your team that is. Its difficult to remember all of them (Vanilla & BSM)

R@S
01-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Awe crap! D_F_N is right again, I forgot about the 2 you get by following the vanilla quest line and finding Fakirov. But one of those is only avaiable if you follow the Government quest line, or is it the rebel? I keep forgetting it, been a while since I actually played those two.

Headshot
01-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Thank you for the quick reply.
The storage is only a pain because I am a pack rat and as part of the fun I have been collecting at least one of every item and its variation that I come across in the game. I don't go out to buy them when they pop up but only when found from combat etc. That of course and the hundreds of grenades and thousands of boxes and mags of ammo of all types. I could outfit the entire country with medical supplies and supply a small army of soldiers with battle gear. I will never use all this stuff but I hate selling items if I don't need the money. As it stands I am in about 30 days, at player lvl 11 / cgl 7, with about 400k in the bank, and about 100k in cash. The base has around 18-20 soldiers the Mechanic, Stephen Urbi, the logistics weapons supplier, etc.

Oh and if possible can you detail somehow the actual game mechanics of how stat and skill progression is calculated within the game.

I seem to see that weapons skills seem to get better when you miss rather than when you actually hit an enemy. Which seems backwards but when my sniping skill goes up it happens right after I miss a shot, not after one hits.

Strength is gained by being overloaded and moving about and stance does make a difference. The same as agility gained by moving in a crouch or prone and being overloaded also helps gain faster. But I have never seen Dex go up by doing anything nor stealth, nor camouflage, nor Health, nor energy. Yet the manual claims many of these can increase.

So what are the actual formulas if you know?

And what are the set limits, it says in the manual that Strength can be increased 30 points above the base ( your starting point ) but it seems you can only gain 1 point max in a 24 hour period on stats, where as skills can gain more.

Headshot

Kyle
01-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Wow! That would be neat if one could learn from making mistakes in a game. I've never heard of that for any role playing system, but it makes sense on a lot of levels. If such is the case for 7.62, then it's an even better simulator than I thought.

I've never paid that much attention in regards to how gains points in skills and stats. I only know of the most basic ones, such as deliberately firing a new weapon 100 times to become familiar with it, overburdening oneself and then go running back and forth a bunch of times, staying crouched and sticking to shadows boosting stealth. I didn't realize that it could be as fine-tuned as what you're asking. It would be nice to know with more specificity of how attributes and skills can be increased with greater certainty.

The flip side of knowing that, though, is the temptation to "game" the system. Having them fire off a hundred rounds with a new weapon doesn't feel like "gaming" the system to me, because it makes sense to target practice and extensively handle a weapon that's new to you. A player could call it "physical conditioning" to load up their squad with maximum weight, and then have them run back and forth till they're exhausted, but, for some reason, that feels "gamey" to me, even though it's a perfectly logical thing to do in the real world.

In some ways, I'd rather just handle my squadmates in a certain tactical fashion, and have them "naturally" evolve from the testing of their bodies/skills/minds to certain situations as they're exposed to/learn from them. If the development team created an engine that does a good job of doing this, then my admiration of them is only going to grow even more.

Thank you for the "heads up" on the prospective timeline of the releases R@S. It'll be helpful in regards to reserving time with my increasingly hectic schedule.

Headshot
01-30-2012, 01:56 AM
@Kyle

I consider it training, as you are a Merc, and should know how and what to train in order to get the best from your men. You also have to invest a great deal of actual game time commanding your guys to do whatever training is required.

Example - When your agility is around 80 or so it takes over 1.5 hours ( game time not real time ) to get your soldier to gain 1 point which can only be done once in a 24 hour period. That is about 12 -15 minutes sitting at your keyboard dedicated to training your merc or mercs in one stat ever game day. I dont think that would be considered gaming the system. If you want to gain the max of 15 Agility points you will spend about 4 hours of real time over a period of 15 game days just to raise that single stat. Also with all the game crashes I get I have to save about ever 5 minutes while training so I dont loose more than that when it happens.

I have found that training agility is fastest gained by overloading your guys so your net energy output is at about 150% and going prone and just going back and forth along a long street. Doing it crouched adds about 2 to 5 minutes of game time to this.

After you gain the 15 points in agility you can't train it any further, you must either cheat or use the skill progression by level, if activated in 1.9 at the beginning of the game.

I figure yea I can shoot off 100 rounds to be familiar with a weapon, and wouldn't you as a real Merc or soldier get used to your weapon and train with it BEFORE you went into combat with it?

I see these as great things that are built into the mechanics of the game and where there to be used by those who want to spend the time to do them and get the most out of their team.

But everyone plays differently and that is why the game is so good. I play JA2 and all its incarnations and love that game as well. This is a different animal and factors in alot of things no other game company put the effort into when they created a squad based war game. I just wish it was a lot easier to mod and that the source code could get released as well as a good editor.

Headshot

Badbru
01-30-2012, 06:54 AM
I am a pack rat and I could outfit the entire country with battle gear. I will never use all this stuff

Throw any un needed to replenish base load grenades after a battle: see Dex gain response

I seem to see that weapons skills seem to get better when you miss rather than when you actually hit an enemy. Which seems backwards but when my sniping skill goes up it happens right after I miss a shot, not after one hits.

This is one of the bonuses to using shotguns in the early part of the game as even when you hit, with buckshot, some of your round/s miss. Shotguns tend to increase shooting skill very effectively.

But I have never seen Dex go up by doing anything

Throw any grenades you don't need after a battle. The throwing action will increase both your thowing skill and eventually your DEX. I've even heard of some people throwing spent smoke grenades over and over again.

R@S
01-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Oh and if possible can you detail somehow the actual game mechanics of how stat and skill progression is calculated within the game. I think there is a thread from a long time ago on this board that tells you exactly what you need to do to "train" your attributes and skills. As for the game formula I have no idea, only notions. I haven't had much time lately to play the game the way I used to where I also spent a lot of time ingame running around, throwing nades and firing machine guns. Nowadays I have limited time and find the BSM class system a blessing, I can still update the stats I want without the hassle of wasting precious game time.

I seem to see that weapons skills seem to get better when you miss rather than when you actually hit an enemy. Which seems backwards but when my sniping skill goes up it happens right after I miss a shot, not after one hits.You can still get a skill increase when you hit, but as you have noticed it happens more often when you miss. But I think that it makes sense the way it works now, IRL you actually learn more when you fail than when you succeed. Those Apeiron guys had a thing for realism, and in this case I agree with them:)

When I added the Mechanic skill I used a similar calculation where the counter to the next skill point got a bigger boost when you failed to repair a weapon than you'd get when you succeeded.

But I have never seen Dex go up by doing anything nor stealth, nor camouflage, nor Health, nor energy. Yet the manual claims many of these can increase. Health can go up, or so I've heard. If a merc gets injured and healed several times, the chances are that this attribute will get a point. I have never had this happen to me, I try not to get hit:-P

And what are the set limits, it says in the manual that Strength can be increased 30 points above the base ( your starting point ) but it seems you can only gain 1 point max in a 24 hour period on stats, where as skills can gain more.1 attribute and 5 skill points every 24 hours, not sure where the limit in the vanilla game is regarding an overall cap.

IceShade
01-30-2012, 11:43 AM
I made such a thread, but not many were willing to contribute.

And I've seen health go up, which happens when you get badly injured. I tend not to reload when I get really badly shot up (as long as I don't die!) And wounds are part of the deal when you're 4 guys against 50 enemies (Cali Cantinos last mission anyone?) without the advanced medikits option.

Headshot
01-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Ok a problem I just encountered has me a bit worried.

I am doing the blue sun missions for Tang and have gotten to the point where I have finished killing the guy in Olvega ( however its spelled ). On my way back to report in I stop in Campecina and when I am entereing the town the game crashes and go to the desktop. At first I thought maybe just a normal glitch I get sometimes so I loaded a previous save ( not the autosave one created just before the crash ) and again went back to Campecina with the same results crash to desktop upon entering the town.

I decided to bypass the town and finish the mission but now whenever I enter Campecina it does the same crash. Ok so I figure maybe it has somehow corrupted the Campecina data files etc. so to test it out I go back to a point before I kill the guy in Olvega but have taken the mission and enter Campecina before going to kill the guy and guess what no crash.

So I figure I will go do the mission and try again. I do the job as well as doing a battle along the way back towards my base and Campecina. I dont stop at my base and have taken no additional jobs etc but when I enter Campecina BANG crash to desktop again.

I tried resetting the random missions with a barkeep and that didn't help. I even tried not taking any equipment from the dead guys in Olvega but that did no good either.

Again as I have stated if I go back to an earlier save and redo the missions I get the same failure if not it works fine.

Any suggestions ... other than dont go to Campecina anymore?

R@S
01-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Without the crash info from the log file it's very difficult to pinpoint the reason for the CtD, but I'll try to help you with some speculations anyways.

It might be an item on the ground left by dead enemies, the smoke grenade is notorious for causing similar issues.

It might also be one of those weird issues you get when you play the game for too long in one session that has caused some of the quest files or characters to get mixed up.

As for solutions, try speeding up time and skip forward 2 or 3 weeks of game time, then try to enter the city again. If you enter the map without a CtD, the problem was caused by an item on the ground. If not, then it might be the memory leak issue and you might never be able to enter that town again, unless something changes in the quest or character code.

If you are familiar with editing the save game files, you could try to swap the map files in the corrupt save archive with one from a working one.

Well, that's what I can do to help with the information you have shared, hope you'll be able to continue playing, with Campecino fixed.

Headshot
01-30-2012, 09:22 PM
R@S

You are uncanny ... I somehow got a cooked off smoke grenade in my vehicle inventory and if I enter Campecino or try and get rid of it in any random sector the game crashes.

So now the question becomes ... HOW the hell do I get rid of it from Urals inventory without causing a game crash.

Perhaps go to a different town and remove everything from the Ural except the grenade and then getting the barkeep to take care of the truck and blow it up?

Any thoughts?

I tried putting the spent grenade in the trunk of the Ural and then sold everything to trader in another town but when I go back to Campecino I still get the crash.

Headshot

safoolfool
01-30-2012, 10:59 PM
R@S

You are uncanny ... I somehow got a cooked off smoke grenade in my vehicle inventory and if I enter Campecino or try and get rid of it in any random sector the game crashes.

So now the question becomes ... HOW the hell do I get rid of it from Urals inventory without causing a game crash.

Perhaps go to a different town and remove everything from the Ural except the grenade and then getting the barkeep to take care of the truck and blow it up?

Any thoughts?

I tried putting the spent grenade in the trunk of the Ural and then sold everything to trader in another town but when I go back to Campecino I still get the crash.

Headshot
As I remember it editing inventory in your save files is pretty easy. You have to unzip (with the azp utility) your save file, open the .sav up in a text editor, change the inventory, save the file, and add it back into your .sav, again with the azp utility. It's a few steps long, but takes about a minute, once you figure the inventory part out.

Headshot
01-30-2012, 11:33 PM
That might be an option but even after selling off the inventory of the truck including the grenade I still cant enter Campecino. So unless there is some way to find "IF" the Campecino sector contains a spent smoke grenade that isnt there etc how is that editable. Do you put one back in and is it tied somehow to the one that got sold off. Is there a time delay where sectors reset and dump all old data items etc? If so I can play around the Campecino area and just continue until it clears up on its own.

Headshot

Kyle
01-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Headshot,

Man, I feel for you.

*knock on wood* I've yet to encounter a bug as bizarre and complex as the one that you're describing, and I hope that I never do.

As awesome as the 7.62 engine can be, this is the anti-awesomeness.

Hang in there, and best of luck to you. *fingers crossed*

Headshot
01-31-2012, 04:42 AM
Alright ...

Well I went back and reloaded a save from 3 game days earlier just before the rebels attacked Campecina and left town and just let them fight it out with the locals. No stuff but no grenade problem. Maybe I could have just replayed it and been very selective as to what I dumped to the back of the Ural but oh well at least no crashes. Now I just have to replay about 6 missions and 6-8 ambushes to get back to where I was before the craziness happened.

Thanks to everyone for ideas and giving me a clue as to what went wrong, and rather than just keep playing and hope for the best I will just do it over again. Maybe I can try some different tactics like do an ambush mission in broad daylight alone with Ivanov my sniper. I got his camo up to 110 without the gilly suit or camo paint. With both I can be in a wooded bushy daylight condition and have the exposure bar around my ankles or at worse around my calves. I got in a firefight in one mission and a guy 15-20 meters away still could not tell where my shots were coming from.

A silenced 416 14" with Elcan and 6.8 rounds do wonders to the enemy at ranges up to about 90 meters. Oh and my sniping is at about 78 and shooting is at 75 so it is a toss up to use the Elcan or a red dot. At close ranges when they cant tell where you are, I just go with the Elcan.

Oh Blue Sun lvl 11 and CGL 7

Headshot

Headshot
01-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Ok

I just encountered another problem ... not sure if this has been addressed yet but here goes.

After accepting the mission from Tang you are told to go see his weapons guy for something special ... which is the CheyTec M200 and acc. My main character who is my sniper talks to the weapons guy and is to be given the CheyTec and the game crashes out to desktop. Now I have space in my inventory for the weapon and its accessories but everytime without fail it will crash before getting the stuff.
I checked the crash log and this stood out...

00:59.756 ERROR [0] .\Items\items.cpp (697) Item not found by name: 'Sniper rifle clip (CheyTac/7)'

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Fix 3 corrected the issue ... Thanks R@S

R@S can you send me a file to replace whatever is missing or otherwise help somehow?

Headshot

R@S
01-31-2012, 10:09 PM
You were lucky there, was just about to hit the sack

Here's the fix, extract and put in your game folder, no new game is required.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jzjm5pms4u8yz1g

Nighty night, and good luck

waaaghmasta
02-02-2012, 03:11 PM
I ran into a crash while playing the blue sun mod 1.9, its when you got to ask the librarian in Sagrada to take you to Rob Yu, the game crashed when the loading sequence was almost completed.

I digged on the some old post and some people said its an issue related with missing textures, how can I fix this issue?

R@S
02-02-2012, 03:34 PM
I thought I had disabled this in the 1.9 version, but I guess I must have forgotten. If you used the installer you should have all the files needed, so then it couldn't be related to that. You will have to do it the "right" way, by fighting in the old mines and then talk to Trip, he'll lead you down to the bunker.

IceShade
02-18-2012, 09:53 PM
I'd like to mention that, goodness gracious, Jagged Alliance: Back in Action feels like a ripped console port of JA2. It's like.. JA2 lite. And this is not positive.

Play 7.62 with BSM instead. It is much better.

Melthorse
02-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I'd like to mention that, goodness gracious, Jagged Alliance: Back in Action feels like a ripped console port of JA2. It's like.. JA2 lite. And this is not positive.

Play 7.62 with BSM instead. It is much better.

@IceShade: Yeah, 7.62 with BSM is much better than the new Jagged Alliance.

I hope the next release off BSM will come soon

IceShade
02-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Looks like bitComposer will be bringing back old features, so that is promising. Not to mention R@S is on the ball with his Blue Dawn mod, so the future for BiA is pretty bright.

It is, after all, a Western release and not made by a defunct Russian company like Apeiron. :-P I have hope.

Meanwhile, I'll play some 1.9. :D

Little minor nitpicking list, hopefully in time before 2.0?:

- The M93R has a full auto mode, which it shouldn't have.
- The Intratec TEC-9 has no weapon sounds (unsuppressed at least).
- AA12 has 30 round drums .. Shouldn't that be either 20 or 32rd drums (though I can't find any info on this 32rd drum)?
- Sterling L2A3 / L34A1 magazine has a secret alien code on it!
http://i.imgur.com/WygR7.jpg

Hablaty
02-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Which version and wich program can I open and extract the .pak files????
Thanksss

void1984
02-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Why are Remington rifles accuracy inconstant:
Remington 700 VS (5.56mm) = 90
Remington 700 VLS (7.62mm) = 58
Remington Seven LS (.30-06) = 59

Remington Seven has a bit shorter barrel, but ammunition simillar to 7.62mm.
I understand that for model 700 the LS and VLS are just different finishes, so let's put it aside. They have the same barrel length, so the only significant difference is in the caliber.

Is it true and correct that the smaller 5.56x45mm is much more accurate then its counterparts?

EDIT
I assume that Remington 700 VS is of higher quality build.

void1984
03-01-2012, 01:45 PM
How can I make the Mechanic at my base upgrade weapons?
I have Benelli M4 Super 90 and MP5A4 in my inventory, but he just lists what he can do and don't upgrade any of it.

R@S
03-01-2012, 03:27 PM
@IceShade
Thanks bro, all those issues you've reported has been fixed and will be included in the 2.0 version. Please continue giving feedback until the actual release since these are easy to fix.

@void1984
The Remington differences are because of game balance, realism takes a back seat in this mod when it comes to such choices.

Give the mechanic the manuals and he'll upgrade the weapon for you. Don't forget to read them yourself first;)

void1984
03-01-2012, 09:52 PM
@IceShade
The Remington differences are because of game balance, realism takes a back seat in this mod when it comes to such choices.

Thanks. The sniper rifle description helps the situation, as it says to be of a especially high quality selection.
Or you could name all the second grade Remingtons "Model Seven", and the better "Model 700", so at least it would be much easier to tell the difference by name.

IceShade
03-02-2012, 09:08 AM
@IceShade
Thanks bro, all those issues you've reported has been fixed and will be included in the 2.0 version. Please continue giving feedback until the actual release since these are easy to fix.

Glad to help :grin:

One thing I noticed with the M712/C96 magazines (this is vanilla bug I guess, not BSM). It says it can use 10, 20 or 40rd magazines. The in-game magazines are 10, 20 and 30rd.

Haven't noticed anything else yet..

the_Brain
03-02-2012, 09:10 AM
R@S, when will your homepage be online again?

void1984
03-02-2012, 02:15 PM
My enemies with RPG-2 never fire at me, they just run around.
Can I expect more from them?

Usage of the claning set takes about 3s. That's really fast (and faster then reloading a carabine without external magazine) and can be done in the moddle of the fire exchange. Can you make it longer?

void1984
03-04-2012, 01:35 AM
UK VZ59L Ironsight has:
Distance 1

As the result the weapon works better without the sights now then with them.

EDIT
The same is with: L85A2 Handle, M16 Handle, M4A1 Handle.

void1984
03-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Both versions of PP-19 Vityaz take the same 2x4 space in the inventory, both folded and unfolded.
It would be better if the folded version, which is really 460mm long (http://world.guns.ru/smg/rus/pp-19-01-vityaz-e.html), was 2x3.

HK MP7A1 is not hanging correctly on the shoulder on 3D model, but "inside the body".

Hurzwa
04-02-2012, 08:27 AM
I just prevented this thread from becoming abandoned for 1 month without a single posting. :grin:

I really look forward to BSM 2.0! Keep up the good work.

Kyle
04-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Hurzwa,

You're a gallant knight for keeping this thread from expiring. I too look forward to the next release. Not that I'm hinting at anything. Nope, I'm too upright a person to do that. ;)

IceShade
04-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Might as well start another compilation post for possible bugs..:

- The SVT-40 has a durability/dirt stat of 20/30. After firing 2 magazines of the SVT-40 during an engagement that lasted about 10 minutes of in-game time, the SVT-40 had a dirt level of 44%! It most certainly wasn't the best rifle out there.. but it almost completely breaks down after 20 shots.

The same goes for almost every bolt action rifle. The extremely reliable and simple to make Mosin Nagants have also got 20/30, some even 10/30. Compared to other classes, (automatic) shotguns have a minimum of 90, assault rifles are around 200/300 .. battle rifles at even 400.

- Defending the Blue Sun Base against... enemies.. and they don't seem much of a threat:
http://i.imgur.com/BwXUZ.jpg

By the time they do get their guns out and have them ready to fire, they are already dead. I've seen the same thing happen to the Jingos spawned at the secret bob harbour.

Worbah
04-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Is it possible to add animations to, say, a new weapon type? Because if there's one that'd be fun, it's definitely mortars. I know, they'd be incredibly difficult to implement to the game, but I still fondly remember mortaring enemies in Jagged Alliance 2. :)

Hurzwa
04-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Is it possible to add animations to, say, a new weapon type? Because if there's one that'd be fun, it's definitely mortars. I know, they'd be incredibly difficult to implement to the game, but I still fondly remember mortaring enemies in Jagged Alliance 2. :)

I had the same idea years ago (man, how long do I play this game now?). But adding mortars is next to impossible. Even easier things like a crossbow is not really possible as the modding of the game is limited.
Btw: Go r@ts, go!

silentype2121
04-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Hi all. I was wondering if there is anyway to get the player character to speak. Such as make a comment when he/ she is hit or makes a hit, spots and enemy etc (like in Jagged Alliance 2). I'm kinda tired of the silent treatment i am getting from my merc. I think it would involve messing with some game files and i really don't mind doing this, i just need to be pointed in the right direction. any help will be greatly appreciated

Hurzwa
04-24-2012, 09:39 AM
This is a bug which occured even in the older game Brigade E5.

Greyfoot
05-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Well just here to say thanks again to R@S for his excellent and unique work on BSM as it truly is a great experience after all these years. Been through some monster of a PC and laptop but always find my way back to this game and enjoy every minute of it.(well, sometimes I could smash the screen when a rookie bandit shoots me in da head from 70+ meters at 2am in the jungle with a pistol but f*** yeah, the game still rocks-with BSM only ;) )

Greyfoot
05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Well, well I was told having a true grit for completing it. Well deserved to say the least. Took me 3 full days to finish it, level 8-12 being a major pita. All slaves died on me rather quickly bar the very last one who served me well as a spotter, and with cross support fire.

Finishing boot camp to realize all my equipment gone along with Kelly and the smelly one. Somehow I did not feel any loss of my Remington or Benelli simply because of my appreciation for using high end guns recently. I miss them rookies though, just had a quick look around in the major cities but they nowhere to be found. :(

As for boot camp, I played it on beginner, started on lvl5, finished on lvl9 hooray!

EDIT: Companions were at the other entry point.

Some of the fight were incredible tough, see my advice below:

Spoiler!

Around level 8 try to get a hold of a 7.62 gun as later on 5.56mm ammo barely scratches the enemy. During night time don`t be afraid to sneak up close and shoot as with good camo they won`t be able to see you. However on later stages they equipped with nvg`s and ambient light scopes. Choose weapons wisely and clean them regularly. Go suppressed whenever you can, but never opt for a small calibre suppressed in favour of a 7,62mm. A 1% wear FN-FAL served me well throughout the later levels-1 to 2 shots drops most enemies.

Melthorse
05-10-2012, 05:19 PM
@ R@S:

Are there any news about the next release date?

Is there a possiblity to integrate a "Browning M1919" in the mod? That would be cool.

Greyfoot
05-11-2012, 08:39 AM
When calling Speck and choosing mercs from AIM, the list seems to be stuck. It starts from 27.(forgot who that is) and I am unable to see the previous mercs. I can still select them by pressing the arrow up, but the screen wouldn't scroll so its now a wild guess who you get. And more importantly the better mercs are in the first section too.:(

EDIT: On 800x600 the merc list starts at 27, on 1280x800 it starts at 31, and still unable to scroll up.

Hurzwa
05-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Go, R@s, go!

adrees83912
06-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by void1984 View Post
I've asked a bartender to take care of my Ford and that way I haven't lost any car.
You can do the same in your home-base. If the the quest "fails" you lose whatever your current vehicle is.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Strong Reaction
06-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Is there a comprehensive list of the changes the mod makes? Like a readme? I want to try it, but I am not really sure what it changes.

void1984
06-12-2012, 11:46 PM
http://bluesunmod.webs.com/documentation.htm

Hurzwa
07-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know a script that unpacks all the azp containers? That would make editing files easier and it increases loading times as well.

R@S
07-09-2012, 12:59 PM
BSM 1.9 comes with Free Commander that lets you browse and edit files inside the azp archives. There's no need to extarct all the files, just work with thm while they're still packed. But if you want them outside, just use F5 and copy the files and folders to a temporary folder.

IceShade
07-14-2012, 09:25 PM
I want to try 2.0 with a different approach, completely solo. But to do that, I want to start with my mercenary's stats of the game I just ended.

It's easy enough to edit the preset actor, but as soon as you create a character, every skill is reset to 30. 50 is not nearly enough points to spend.

Now, I see a few possibilities. The easiest is probably to increase the amount of points I can spend in the character creation screen.

Another is through the Class system. I already start with x amount of points I can spend on skills, it should be possible to increase the start amount.

Third is to edit the save-game.

Fourth is enter_dev_mode in the console and do everything from there, but that ends up with me being labeled CHEATER in big red and I don't like that :mrgreen:

My question is, how would I accomplish any of this?
- I looked through the files for the starting amount of points, but couldn't find it.
- Likewise for the class points (maybe an idea to add this variable to the bluesunmod.ini ?).
- I don't know whether a save-game editor exists.

R@S
07-14-2012, 09:34 PM
1: In the game dir, Hardlife\HLA.xml. Change the value in the StartPoints>50</StartPoints>

2: Not possible, sorry. No I'm not, I hate cheaters :P

3: Use the Free Commander you got when you installed BSM 1.9 to open up the MAIN.SAV inside your save.azp file. You can start it from the start menu or by the exe in the game dir sub-folder. You need to alter both entries for your character. What I mean is, the stats are in two places in that file.

IceShade
07-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Awesome! Thanks :D

IceShade
07-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Oh, another tiny question .. What is content-wise the difference between HPW, Boot Camp and EOW?

Aren't they all "start with ancient pistol and work through 15 levels"?

R@S
07-14-2012, 10:20 PM
In HPW, they will only use high poly weapons, it has 10 levels.

The Boot camp uses all types of weapons, but each level increases their range and deadliness. It has 15 levels.

EoW, as the name implies, is a chronological setup, from older to newer. It has 22 levels and you gather points to get a reward. The more enemies you choose at each start, the more point you'll be rewarded resulting in better rewards.

There are some other minor differences, like in Boot Camp you can choose which pistol you get at the start. There are others, but can't recall right now, it's getting late...

Hurzwa
07-15-2012, 02:04 AM
Nice update on the SSLP (btw what means SSLP?) and your progress on that is even followed on the german www.Taktikzone.de forum.
Is it possible to modify the prices the base doctor asks for? He charges the same amount for healing like every other doc in the cities which makes him redundant.

R@S
07-15-2012, 06:54 AM
SSLP stands for Screen Shot Let's Play, and its nice to hear my friends from Taktikzone are still interested in and playing the mod.

I removed the price calculation for the base doctor, now all you have to spend is time. You're welcome:)

IceShade
07-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Since playing BSM 2.0 I noticed something different. Maybe it never occurred to me, but everytime I hit the reload button, the merc drops the current magazine.

Before, the merc always put the magazine back into a pouch.

If BSM has nothing to do with it, I wonder what I have done differently.

void1984
07-16-2012, 04:10 PM
The HLA policy has changed. Just edit Hardlife\HLA.xml file and change there DropClipsOnReload xml value to 0.

IceShade
07-16-2012, 05:09 PM
That explains it! I actually quite like this feature, as I'm playing a scavenge game where I only pick up magazines.

I just wonder whether dropping it is actually quicker than having a merc put it back in a pouch.

Badbru
07-21-2012, 07:36 AM
I've finally played through the training missions, all 22 or 24 levels and I found Bushmaster and ACR kits and and some for the other US AR whose name escapes me at the moment but I was dissapointed not to see any Steyr kits.

I've never actually completed the game either as the latter stages don't interest me as much but I've never found a Steyr kit in game either.

Can someone tell me where I can find one please, and/or can they be added to the kit in the training missions please. I frequently get the erge to play as an Australian Army setup and it's really hard to find any Steyrs other than the 9mmP varient.

In addition, our minimi varient, the F89, has a rail on top. Could the standard minimi have a weaver rail added and be added to the Steffan Uribe modified list as to be purchasable?

Hurzwa
07-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Since when use Australians Steyr weapons? They are from Austria, not Australia.

D_F_N
07-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Since the late 1980's.

Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weaponry_of_the_Australian_Army)

Hurzwa
07-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Since the late 1980's.

Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weaponry_of_the_Australian_Army)

Oh wow! And I thought they were using this british crap. Good choice of the blokes!

@badbru
If you know how to mod you can easily change the itemlevel of the Steyr weapons so that they appear earlier in the game.

@R@s
Lol! I just met "Sarah Palino" :D
I love this mod more and more.

R@S
07-21-2012, 04:52 PM
@R@S
Lol! I just met "Sarah Palino" :D
I love this mod more and more.I have my moments, thanks for noticing:grin:

And I'm glad you're having fun, it makes our efforts worthwhile.

Hurzwa
08-13-2012, 05:12 AM
#bump#
Can't stand the waiting for final BSM 2.0. I even play Star Wolves 3 again to keep myself busy.
Not bad game btw. There are great mods also.

Melthorse
11-17-2012, 03:55 PM
@ R@S : I've read at taktikzone.de there will be a release of BSM 2.0 this weekend. Is that right?!:) I hope so:-)

@all
Blue sun Mod 2.0

New weapons:
- Machinegun DP 27 (7.62x54R)
- Woodland Camo HK PSG-1 (7.62x51 mm)
- CZ-805 Bren A1 (5.56x45 mm)
- M1941 Johnson machine gun (.30-06)
- Beryl wz.1996 (5.56mm)
- Magpul PDR (5.56x45mm)

New Ammo:
- Ammo B-32 API (7.62x54mm)
- Ammo box B-32 API (7.62x54mm)
- Big Ammo box B-32 API (7.62x54/440)
- Fiocchi Frangible Sinterfire (4.6x30mm)
- Ammo box Fiocchi Frangible Sinterfire (4.6x30mm)

New Cars:
- Chevrolet
- Mercedes Benz
- Police Chevrolet
- Toyota HiLux
- Gelendwagen
- LandRover UN
- LandRover Camo
- Unimog4400
- BTR-40

Other Changes:
- New weapon and item order script. You can now order weapons, scopes, ammo boxes and clips.
- Updated Uribe weapon order script.
- Fixed Level Up script
- Added sound effects to some actions and events
- Added BlueSunMod.ini entry for Friendly Fire count.

Added to Autoexec:
nvnoffset 0
nvndelta 1000
nvrscale 0

Kyle
11-18-2012, 11:53 PM
there will be a release of BSM 2.0 this weekend.

Boy, now THAT would be AWESOME! I've been holding off on playing the game for a number of months now for the latest update.

And that list of what's in the next update...! :)

I'll be hoping that it's released very VERY soon! :grin:

R@S
11-19-2012, 07:07 AM
You can download Blue Sun Mod 2.0 here:

BSM 2.0 Torrent (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17796446/bsm2.0.iso.torrent)

Kyle
11-19-2012, 09:17 PM
You can download Blue Sun Mod 2.0 here:

R@S, you ROCK! :grin:

THANK YOU so much for all of your hard work! You're a class act, bar none! :)

Kyle
11-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Hello folks.

I've been patiently waiting for BitComet to start showing some actual progress with my attempt at downloading BSM2.0.

So far, though, no luck. I'm showing that there aren't any seeds available - does anyone else have anymore information on this?

IceShade
11-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Probably some closed ports on your side. So far I've uploaded 7.7 GBs of BSM2.0 to others. Try the direct link.

Kyle
11-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Try the direct link.

Ah-ha! It helps to check the first post of a thread every now and then! Thank you for the tip!

Before I delete the old build v. 1.9, is there a reason why build 2.0 is so much smaller than its predecessor? I don't want to delete content if I'm going to need it later.

Missing Name
11-23-2012, 03:24 AM
Hi, player of BSM here (before that, Brigade E5)! I just downloaded 2.0 and appear to be having difficulty installing it... forgive me for sounding stupid.

I have mounted the iso, hit setup.exe, yadda yadda yadda. Except no folder I designate as the installation folder appears to be valid. I just get the message "Choose folder 7.62 High Caliber" no matter where the real folder is located or what it's named. For example, my default "C:\Brigade E6\7.62 - High Calibre" folder doesn't work. Even a simple "C:\7.62 High Calibre" with all the files in it isn't acceptable.

Am I overlooking something really obvious here? 1.9 installed just fine into that first folder I gave as an example.

EDIT: I did the simplest thing: uninstall yet again, reinstall. 2.0 now running, working on a sound mod. For some reason my first reinstall was clearly INFERIOR.

Ninja2dan
12-30-2012, 03:38 AM
Greetings all, I saw that there was a new version of BSM available so I went ahead and did a new install. Been at least a year (maybe two) since I last played, so it's fresh enough again that I won't be bored with it all or remember too many spoilers.

But after playing through for a couple of days now, I'm starting to see a lot of things that I don't know the answers to. Guess I'll go ahead and ask and see what you can come up with.

1) Magazines/manuals - I've been finding a few manuals and magazines here and there, and they give the option to read them. When doing so, time seems to skip ahead a few hours but I don't see any messages that state changes. The item descriptions are not stating any skill changes will be made, so I really don't know what their purpose is. You can only read them once, so I assume they are doing something. Any way to get a list of the magazines and manuals and what their function is?

2) Outfits - When you need to wear a specific uniform for a mission, or to "disguise" yourself as part of a specific faction, do ALL members of the team need to be wearing that faction's uniform, or just your main character? I sort of remember that if I was sided with the rebels, entering a government-controlled town would cause them to attack me first. If I was wearing a gov soldier uniform though, they wouldn't attack me until I fired first. Could use some more clarification on how that works.

3) Towns - As of now, I see there is a new tax/income system in place, and it appears to function off of town that you take control over. What's the status on how often towns are attacked, aka getting wiped out and you losing control of it? I do remember before that minutes after leaving a town that you took over, the first patrol of gimps would take it from you. Any tips on how to keep towns under your control easier, without going broke? Or have there been recent changes that solve that problem?

4) Army base - Does your base get constantly attacked and taken over as well? I remember that I was always losing it and having to take it back, not a huge challenge but it was quite annoying. I am still just starting the game under the new BSM version, so I only have hired 3 guards using the radio. Just wondering how many I'll need in order to keep the base under control.

5) Mines/traps - Has the problem with these been fixed yet? You know, the fact that the enemy never seems to set off trip-based devices such as land mines and tripwires? The only time they ever seemed to work was if you spammed them into spawn zones before the enemy showed up. I have found one landmine so far, and see it is now command-detonate (remote control), so are all mines functioning this way now? I also found some Claymores, can't wait to try those out.

I'm only up to GL4 so far, so I'll post again if I encounter any more questions.

R@S
12-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Welcome back

Do you still have those uniforms you made a while back? If so, would you be interested in having them being a part of the next version of BSM?

1) Magazines/manuals - I've been finding a few manuals and magazines here and there, and they give the option to read them. When doing so, time seems to skip ahead a few hours but I don't see any messages that state changes. The item descriptions are not stating any skill changes will be made, so I really don't know what their purpose is. You can only read them once, so I assume they are doing something. Any way to get a list of the magazines and manuals and what their function is?When you read a manual/magazine, you'll get one or two point in various skills and parameters. Like the SVD manual gives you sniper skill points. The higher your INT stat, the higher the chance of getting more points distributed.

2) Outfits - When you need to wear a specific uniform for a mission, or to "disguise" yourself as part of a specific faction, do ALL members of the team need to be wearing that faction's uniform, or just your main character? I sort of remember that if I was sided with the rebels, entering a government-controlled town would cause them to attack me first. If I was wearing a gov soldier uniform though, they wouldn't attack me until I fired first. Could use some more clarification on how that works.I think all your team mates are required to wear proper uniforms or battle will be initiated when the map is loaded. Once on the map, you need to keep your distance to the enemy soldiers.

3) Towns - As of now, I see there is a new tax/income system in place, and it appears to function off of town that you take control over. What's the status on how often towns are attacked, aka getting wiped out and you losing control of it? I do remember before that minutes after leaving a town that you took over, the first patrol of gimps would take it from you. Any tips on how to keep towns under your control easier, without going broke? Or have there been recent changes that solve that problem?The new economy system is very complex, but I'll give you the best tip I can. Always recruit 25-30 militia when you conquer a sector. You'll then have about 95% chance of keeping it for the foreseeable future. And use the quick recruit function in the field radio dialog, It increases your spending at the same time.

4) Army base - Does your base get constantly attacked and taken over as well? I remember that I was always losing it and having to take it back, not a huge challenge but it was quite annoying. I am still just starting the game under the new BSM version, so I only have hired 3 guards using the radio. Just wondering how many I'll need in order to keep the base under control.I never have an issue with losing my base, and I never mess with the militia there either. If you spend time there, if a patrol spots you they'll attack. I played through the game for the government last week, and my base was never attacked. I'm currently playing for the rebels(CGL9) and my base is still safe.

5) Mines/traps - Has the problem with these been fixed yet? You know, the fact that the enemy never seems to set off trip-based devices such as land mines and tripwires? The only time they ever seemed to work was if you spammed them into spawn zones before the enemy showed up. I have found one landmine so far, and see it is now command-detonate (remote control), so are all mines functioning this way now? I also found some Claymores, can't wait to try those out.Nope, mines are still wacky, part of battle system code.

Ninja2dan
12-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Do you still have those uniforms you made a while back? If so, would you be interested in having them being a part of the next version of BSM?

I don't seem to have ANY files left from 7.62, BSM/BFX, or anything related. I had to replace my HDD, and it seems portions of my backup were damaged as well (250GB drive shows up as a 186GB drive). If you want to link a post about it, I'll figure out exactly what I was doing and try to get some new ones done ASAP.

I had a feeling that's what the magazines/manuals did, but wasn't seeing any messages that would clarify it. I make it a habit of reading everything, just wasn't sure if I needed to keep them around after I was done using them, or if I can just toss them away.

If the uniforms must be worn by ALL team members (not just leader), then I better start saving up a few more. I try to keep my options open, plan ahead.

I do like the idea of command-det explosives, more realistic and less likely to cause civilian deaths. Of course that means you still can't mine/trap areas that are out of view, but I can deal with that.

IceShade
12-31-2012, 12:25 AM
I believe the MON-500, or whatever the claymore clone is, detonates if anything comes near it. Good luck defusing it. :P

R@S
12-31-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't seem to have ANY files left from 7.62, BSM/BFX, or anything related. I had to replace my HDD, and it seems portions of my backup were damaged as well (250GB drive shows up as a 186GB drive). If you want to link a post about it, I'll figure out exactly what I was doing and try to get some new ones done ASAP..If you have the time and energy, I'd be very grateful. I have just added the vanilla uniforms to the camo bonus script, now all uniforms give a bonus when worn.

I had a feeling that's what the magazines/manuals did, but wasn't seeing any messages that would clarify it. I make it a habit of reading everything, just wasn't sure if I needed to keep them around after I was done using them, or if I can just toss them away..When read, the magazines are useless, but some of the manuals can be given to your base trader and he'll upgrade some of the related weapons for you, like in BE5.

Ninja2dan
12-31-2012, 11:32 PM
If you have the time and energy, I'd be very grateful. I have just added the vanilla uniforms to the camo bonus script, now all uniforms give a bonus when worn.

When read, the magazines are useless, but some of the manuals can be given to your base trader and he'll upgrade some of the related weapons for you, like in BE5.

So what type of "upgrades" are we talking about? Say I have the manual for the M203, does it provide better stats? Or for the SVD, a modified upgrade version or something not normally obtainable? I assume the porn magazines and such can be sold as vendor trash, but don't really remember using the manuals in the previous games.

Regarding the uniforms, I'll have to figure out where those files were located again and how to extract/modify them. Were there any "tutorials" or guides on where to find those files? Been so long I can't remember. And do you recall which camo patterns I had done? I remember working on some realism stuff, such as better sniper/spotter equipment and uniforms better suited for different environments (Urban, Woodland, Night, etc).

R@S
01-06-2013, 10:36 AM
So what type of "upgrades" are we talking about? Say I have the manual for the M203, does it provide better stats? Or for the SVD, a modified upgrade version or something not normally obtainable? I assume the porn magazines and such can be sold as vendor trash, but don't really remember using the manuals in the previous games.If you give the mechanic the appropriate manuals, he'll upgrade your Benelli M4 Super 90 to Benelli M4 Super 90 FS, MP5A4 to MP5A5, FN FAL 50.00 to FN FAL 50.63, Dragunov SVD to Dragunov SVD-S and M203B ugl to M203PI ugl. I have plans to change that, and make the upgrades unique, like an FN FAL with WR mount, an SVD in 7.62x39mm, and G36 in 6.8SPC and maybe a silenced shotgun. I think i would make it it more interesting that way.

Regarding the uniforms, I'll have to figure out where those files were located again and how to extract/modify them. Were there any "tutorials" or guides on where to find those files? Been so long I can't remember. And do you recall which camo patterns I had done? I remember working on some realism stuff, such as better sniper/spotter equipment and uniforms better suited for different environments (Urban, Woodland, Night, etc). I remember your US uniforms, the desert ones. There's a thread somewhere on this site that discusses uniforms and such, try looking at page 2 or 3.

Ninja2dan
01-06-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm having a few "issues" lately. Current player level 12, game level 8. My mission is to take over Radio Hill. Game time is approximately 2300-2400. I am not using night optics on weapons due to sniper weapon system using different optic, and night goggles not yet available.

Any time I try to use grenades of any type, or command-detonate devices that have shrapnel, the game instantly crashes and I get the "would you like to send a report" popup on the desktop. I have tried lowering graphics to the lowest possible level, removing any and all effects, turning off grass/shadows, etc. Every once in a rare while I can get a UGL grenade to detonate without crashing the game, but it's usually like 1 nade in 10 tries, with 9 of those tries resulting in CTD.

Any idea what's going on? Is it because shrapnel is hitting the mayor which is causing a crash due to an error in some dialogue scripting? As I said, rarely a grenade will burst without causing a crash, but I think it has something to do with how much of the shrapnel is directed outward and not into an object. Nades that pop very close to a wall for example with 50%+ of the shrapnel being absorbed seem to be less likely to crash it, while nades in the open result in instant client kill.

This is the first time I've ever had the problem, I can thump nades all day long on any other map and not see so much as a hiccup or lag. Could it be the time of day? Does night lighting somehow require more processing power? Or is there something on that map that is getting hit/destroyed in the blast that is not supposed to be hit, or its destruction is causing massive calculations that crash the client?

Another problem unrelated to that mission, where the hell do I find suppressors for the P90 series? I've had P90 available for 3 game levels now, but can't seem to find a single suppressor for one. I've now acquired some fairly expensive high-tech weapons, but still not a single suppressor for the P90 in any shop that I've checked, including Cali (the motherland of cool stuff).

And what game level or location am I supposed to find ammunition for the more uncommon weapons? The .338 sniper rifle, both ammo and magazines, aren't even available from Billy Ray. And I just acquired the complete sniper system (sniper/spotter rifle/tools) prior to this mission, how soon before I find more ammo for that one as well? I'd rather not use a weapon that only has 20 rounds total and will be a few days or more before I can find a resupply.

I think ammunition and weapons need to be on the same page regarding availability. I don't mind finding a few boxes of ammo shortly before a weapon that uses it becomes available, but I hate finding ammo 4 game levels before I even see a hint of anything that uses it. The .458 SOCOM for example, I have boxes and boxes of ammo, several magazines, but have yet to see the weapon. On the other hand, like with the P90, I find the weapon but can't find jack for magazines or accessories. It makes more sense that if the magazines are found in shops, the weapons should be seen shortly after (even if in limited quantity). And if I can find a weapon system, I should be able to find enough magazines and ammo to at least keep one merc supplied enough to take it on missions.

I won't pull a weapon from the vault if I don't have at least 2-3 spare mags available, and at least enough ammo to refill those mags as needed. I don't blaze off hundreds of rounds per mission, I might burn through 20-30 rounds with light rifles and 10-20 rounds in a sniper/marksman rifle, and maybe 30-50 rounds in a LMG/MMG if it lacks a single/burst mode. But when I look in my vault and see less than 50 rounds available and none in the shops, that means I have to keep the weapon in the locker. It's like owning a Ferrari and not having any gas for it.

I am enjoying the game overall though, there are a lot of nice additions since I last played. I haven't decided to do the rebel/government missions this time around, so I haven't been messing with the towns much yet. So the whole taxes thing has Mostly useless for me, but it looks like it could be an interesting way to cover some of those militia fees.

The huge new assortment of firearms is cool, but in my opinion it's a bit overdone. There are tons of firearms that I would never use, simply because by the time you see them in the shops they are far inferior to anything I have already looted in encounters. Plus the game levels at which point some of those weapons show up in the shops, choosing them would be suicide because by that point the enemy are packing much more firepower. Take the lever-action rifles for example, by the time you can really buy the decent ones (not the sawn-off mutants) the enemy are bringing out M14 SOCOM rifles and UZI. Unless you plan to roleplay some kind of Classic Western character, many of the firearms are simply not going to cut it.

UPDATE:

I finally made it to GL12, just finished the Tang mission to take over Cali. I can now usually find a P90 suppressor on at least one of the town dealers using the permit, but it has come far too late. But there are still several firearms that I have not been able to find anywhere yet, even though I can find plenty of magazines and/or ammo. The .50 rifles for example, I can order up unlimited magazines and ammo from Billy Ray and see dozens of mags on dealers, but not a rifle in sight. Or with other weapons (Cheytac etc), I have a rifle but no suppressor. There's only the last mission for my main target, and yet I can't play with the cool toys before the game ends.

I had some serious problems loading Cali for the Tang mission. Due to the massive amount of troops that spawn in all at once in clusters all over the place, the game crashed over and over and over just trying to load the town. Even once I got it to load, saving the game constantly leads to a crash and a corrupt save file. It seems to me that all of the enemy for that mission spawn in at once, and not in waves of reinforcements like the original game used. This causes severe lag and performance issues and really needs looked into.

Another problem that at first I thought was a quick bug but has turned out to be more frequent, ALL troops in the Palinero missions are NEVER hostile. When I get a mission to take over one of the new sectors down south, or even Cali itself, I can just walk around and headshot each soldier one at a time without any of their buddies going hostile. Literally just walk from group to group, putting aimed shots into their brains until the group is dead. The game never enters battle mode, so I'm free to just go to inventory, clear the bodies away, throw all the loot in the trunk, and move on to the next group. I stop from time to time at the merchant to sell off the contents of the trunk when it is full, and then go back to work picking off the troops. It's as if their AI coding was left out. The ONLY time anyone ever goes hostile against me is if the mayor of the town sees me aiming a weapon at him, at which point all town forces are hostile as you would normally expect. But as long as I take a position out of the mayor's line of sight, I'm free to blast away with precision fire or let loose a 200-round burst from a SAW or thump nades like it was the apocalypse. Not once have the soldiers been aggressive with me, even after they witness me gun down their buddies standing right next to them one at a time.

Here I am all sneaking into position, setting up in a defensive posture, just waiting for the enemy to attack. But in the end, each and every time, the missions just play out with me walking a solo merc around from group to group, standing 10m in front of them, making aimed headshots until they are all dead. Something is definitely not working right here.

One last mention for this post: The stats of some weapons appear backwards. For example, the stats for the FN Minimi are totally mixed with the FN Minimi Para. In other words, all of the stats for one should actually belong to the other. And with the FN Mk 46 Mod 0, the weight is switched with the FN Minimi SPW. I have yet to look at other weapons, but those ones were the first major differences that struck me as way out of sync. Were all of the weapon stats ported in from another mod, or have they been custom tweaked for this mod? If someone needs help getting the stats to look correct, I'm free to help out.

Overall though, the mod does add a lot more depth to the game than its "vanilla" original state. Having more weapons to select from is great, new maps make it more interesting, and the new mission chain increases replay potential. The radio system itself is a major addition that adds a whole new dimension to what the game is capable of, and I look forward to seeing what other options are made available. Some bugs were noticed, which I can bring up later after more testing is done. But I like where things are headed.

Mack_jackson
03-18-2013, 09:42 AM
There are only some minor changes, mostly fixes but a few new things as well. For those who has the final beta there's some new weapons and a new car. But I recommend you finish your current game before you start a new one with the latest version.

Oh yes ! when i complete my game i noted this, but i do not like new features it is difficult to use it to compare with old features. But i like graphics, stunts and level of this game.

Melthorse
04-04-2013, 05:51 PM
@ R@S: Do you have any news about the next release?

The Blue Sun Mod 2.0 is so great :grin:

R@S
04-05-2013, 08:37 AM
@ R@S: Do you have any news about the next release?

The Blue Sun Mod 2.0 is so great :grin:I am currently very busy with AFK work and don't have much time working on the mod. The good news is that I have gotten some help making new missions for the next version. There is also some great work being done by our Russian friends, and I hope to add some of that for the next version as well. But it will be a while before the next version is ready, maybe it will be ready later this summer.

In the meanwhile, I recommend you play the game again with the latest patch. It has a few really nice additions making it worth your time, along with a few fixes.

BSM 2.0 Patch 3 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17796446/Blue%20Sun%20Mod%202.0%20Patch%203.7z)

You need to start a new game after you have extracted the patch files to your game folder. There are a lot of changes and additions to the code that makes this a must.

Here's a list of some of the changes and fixes in Patch 3:

New features:
All uniforms give camo bonus
Added Personal Kill Counter
Added Merc Level Up script
Updated enemy inventories
Updated Bank Clerk script
Updated Base Mechanic script
Updated Player Class script
New rewards for the Evolution of Weapons campaign
Many weapons has gotten updated skins.
Player Classes has been changed, as has class equipment
More information in the Killbook screen
All cars can be upgraded, but only once.
StartCGL can be set in BlueSunMod.ini

Fixed:
Item names in shops
Sound FX when bullet hits unknown material
Fixed car names in Killbook
Added Big AP Ammo Boxes to Bobby Ray's inventory.
Fixed attachments for Grand Power K100 mk6
Lowered price for newly added ammo
Dr. Q's dialog fixed

New things:
Saiga-12K Automatic(Uribe only)
Sniper Karabiner 98k (7.62x54mm) from Nat_Crelk
HK MC51 (7.62x51mm)
Benelli M4 Super 90(Pablo Rodriges only)
MP5A5 mod(Pablo Rodriges only)
FN FAL 50.63(WR)(Pablo Rodriges only)
Dragunov SVD-S (7.62x39mm)(Pablo Rodriges only)
HK G36 (6.8x43 mm)(Pablo Rodriges only)
AKMSN (6.8x43 mm)(Pablo Rodriges only)
SA Vz.58 (6.8x43 mm)(Pablo Rodriges only)
Big Ammo Box (500/6.8 SPC FMJ)
Big Ammo Box (500/6.8 SPC AP)

Since you are one of the guys I know have played the game for years, I highly recommend the new StartCGL setting in the BlueSunMod.ini. Set it to 7 or higher before you start a new game and the earlier parts of the game feels a little different than what you're used to. And I'm glad you're enjoying our work, it's been fun working on it for the past 4 years.

Have fun

R@S

Melthorse
04-05-2013, 08:27 PM
@ R@S: Thank you for your great answer. I hope summer will come very soon.:grin:

Waiting is an torture for me :rolleyes:

Meanwhile i will test the new patch. The changes sounds great.

R@S you do so great work :D

Kyle
04-06-2013, 02:20 AM
I'm VERY excited to hear of another potential major release sometime this summer!

The patch is also very welcome! Thank you for it!

I noticed that the patch is labeled number "3." Somehow I missed the first two - or is this third patch all-inclusive?

Someone please let me know. Thank you in advance. :)

Melthorse
04-06-2013, 03:26 PM
@Kyle : that is an very good question.

I've got the patch labeled number 1 sometimes ago.

It would be good to know if the Patch Number 3 is an all-inclusive one or not.:confused:

@ R@S: do you the answer? Thank you very much for your help in advance!

R@S
04-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Yup, the patch is cumulative and you don't need patch 1 or 2. I also noticed there are a few things in the description of the patch that aren't included in the patch, like the Merc level up script. I made those after I released the patch and they will be included in the next release version.

Melthorse
04-08-2013, 05:56 PM
@ R@S: Thank you so much for this good news and for your great support. :grin:

I wait eagerly on the next version of the Blue Sun Mod. I hope it will be summer very soon. :):)

JC LEON
04-27-2013, 01:42 PM
hi i'm new to he game and i recenlty discovered this beautiful mod.. i installed BSM 2.0 but i dont know how to install the patch 3

I simply put it in game dir and overwrite?
thanks i advance

Melthorse
04-27-2013, 02:38 PM
@ JC LEON: that's correct. You have to unzip it, then put it in your game dir and overwirte it. After that you have to start an new game.

Then have fun :)

Kyle
05-21-2013, 02:46 AM
Gamers Gate had a substantial sale on the entire Jagged Alliance Back in Action game this past weekend.

I came very, VERY close to getting it, but then I visited Bears Pit, and just got caught up in reading through all of the features that have been added to good ol' JA2, most of which are missing from JABiA, and I decided to pass on purchasing it.

What also convinced me to save my dollars for other purchases is 7.62 with the BSM. It too is loaded with features absent from JABiA (and JA2 as well!), and with every update it just keeps getting better and better.

I'm happy to report that JA2 and 7.62+BSM hold not only my attention, but my heart. Thanks again for all that you do for us.

I'll happily wait till the next update. :)

kjeltringen
07-04-2013, 11:36 PM
I am downloading version 2.0 as we speak and I was wondering if that is the latest version since I have read many posts with hints to future updates.

Alasis
07-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Hi R@S and everyone,

It is a great mod played a lot with 1.8 but I am having problems with 2.0 with patch 3.

I finished the boot camp and tried to move once you leave to the map screen. As soon as I hit unpause button the game crashes. I did the reads only and reinstall tricks but did not work.

I started another character and finished a level of EoW. If I choose to not continue to second level and go to map I have the same crash as soon as I hit unpause - to move away so that I can enter the town again-. I seem to travel fine without these campaigns.

Any suggestions ? - never had such problem with the previous version.

Here is the dump log:

Log started at 31.07.2013 19:45
00:00.000 INFO [0] .\ProjectE6.cpp (410) Application version: 1.11 Build 286
00:00.068 WARNING1 [0] .\local.cpp (24) !LocalTextArray[ID]
00:00.068 ERROR [0] .\Parser\TextParser.cpp (683) Error parsing : '' found, int expected
00:00.125 INFO [0] .\Main3dDevice.cpp (37) 3D device created - Ok
00:00.248 INFO [0] .\SoundSystem.cpp (122) Creating and initializing audio system succeeded
00:01.769 INFO [0] .\Fx\effmanager.cpp (190) Creating and initializing audio system...
00:02.202 INFO [0] .\ZApp.cpp (847) Entering main program loop...
00:11.348 ERROR [1] .\Parser\TextParser.cpp (683) Error parsing : 'WillBeHit' found, int expected
00:11.348 WARNING1 [0] .\CameraPos.cpp (115) false
00:52.729 INFO [0] .\Writer\TextWriter.cpp (56) Overwriting read-only file: GameComplexity.e6c
01:04.058 INFO [0] .\LoadGame.cpp (834) Loading saved game: Saves\bitti galiba.286.azp
01:05.104 INFO [0] .\Engine\World.cpp (427) Loading world 'Media.pack\RANDOM_24'
01:17.054 INFO [0] .\LoadGame.cpp (1209) Game loaded.
>-----------------------------------------------------------
> Exception C0000005 at 0x0059C217
>-------------------- Call stack ---------------------------

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x0059C217

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x005ADFEB

ntdll.dll 0x77E00000 0x77E2E36C

ntdll.dll 0x77E00000 0x77E2E36C

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x006BD70A

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x00697E84

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x006BD70A

E6.exe 0x00400000 0x006A39B2

> Crash dump successfully saved to Log\2013_07_31_19_45.dmp

Thanks all in advance

Alasis
07-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Sorry for extra post but I was also wondering if Ecomod is dead or playable with latest BSM

Kyle
08-14-2013, 04:07 PM
What's "Ecomod?"

I broke down at the ultra cheap price for Jagged Alliance: Back in Action, and I have to say, that thus far, even with the Combat Evolved mod installed, I'm not impressed. The AI's capabilities are suspect to me. Sometimes they snipe at me from halfway across the map with handguns. Pretty impressive!

I'll just have to have patience till the next update for BSM is released, but when it comes to tactical gaming, it feels like I'm in a desert, and the only oasis I can think of is BSM. :)

Kyle
08-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Looked up Ecomod.

I love the sounds and the looks of it. The problem? It's no longer available at its developer's website.

Would anyone be so kind as to post a link to a working download here, or perhaps R@S, you wouldn't mind hosting it at your site as well?

kyosuke
11-17-2013, 01:24 AM
Hi R@S, thanks for making such a great mod for 7.62.
I can't imagine playing the game without it.

Just a question though, I was using the 12 merc gui mod with BSM, I noticed that when I have saves with above 6 mercs in the party, the date of the saves would be written as 'ealthy'.
Is this normal? And would there be any problems with the saves?

Melthorse
11-18-2013, 05:41 PM
@kyosuke:

This is normal. I play with 8 guys in my party and got no problems with the saves.

@ R@S: are there any news about the next version of the blue sun mod? I hope the next release will come soon.

daminotaur
01-04-2014, 05:33 AM
I hope someone still around. :)

I finally reinstalled this game just because of this mod. for some reason, I never did find out about this mod. :-P

Anyway, I think my McAfee antifvirus hates the bluesunmod.exe file. It keeps removing this file claiming its a trojan virus. Anyone else encountered this problem?

Yuri_RP
01-23-2014, 02:49 PM
I hope someone still around. :)

I finally reinstalled this game just because of this mod. for some reason, I never did find out about this mod. :-P

Anyway, I think my McAfee antifvirus hates the bluesunmod.exe file. It keeps removing this file claiming its a trojan virus. Anyone else encountered this problem?
I have the same problems. Just set the entire folder into the Exception List in the antivirus. Then all will be fine.

Thrillskr
01-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Just so You know there is new BSM version about to be released any day now. Visit BSM site and check on progress there ;)

Dr.Q
02-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Wow I havent been here for years and now this announcement :grin:

R@S
02-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Hey Q man, long time no see. The first post in this thread has been updated with the links to the latest version. Have fun.

Kyle
05-02-2014, 03:13 AM
NICE!

The update is out, and I heartily THANK YOU! :grin:

Could someone please recommend to me a free ISO mounting program for me to use for the installation?

I've read through over a half-dozen different products, all of which contain features that I don't want.

I'm looking for something that is:
safe
secure
easy to use
FREE
no limited trial

Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed. It would be nice if I could be directed to an open source, community created and monitored product. Thank you in advance!

-------EDIT-------
Found WinDCEmu from here: http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/download/

HIGHLY rated, and SUPER easy to use - just double-click on the .ISO file and away it goes. NICE!

-------QUESTION--------
Who's the performer playing the music during the installation of the mod? FANTASTIC. I'd love to have the artist's name, and the title of the piece he was playing. I definitely would love to hear more music like this.

Cel.Barbosa
06-16-2014, 11:15 PM
so, I was thinking if there is a way to make the machine guns capable of shoulder fire in standing position, snapshot and aimed.

Thorm
09-30-2014, 05:59 AM
A big thank you to all the contributors to this mod. It has increased my enjoyment of the game.

I have now run into a problem and wanted to ask if anyone else has the same problem as well. I have assassinated Pedro Nunez and now I can't seem to go back to Ciudad de Oro. Every time when I try to enter it the game crashes.

aegaeg4456
10-28-2014, 01:45 AM
yes,agree with u,these details infos are useful for the enjoyment of the game......:rolleyes:

Melthorse
10-28-2014, 05:39 PM
@Thorm:

You have to read your quest log. When you kill Pedro , do it at midnight an use an silenced weapon or an Knive. Take care that no one will see what you are doing. Then you got no problems when you come later back to Ciudad de Oro.

One the other hand it is possible that you have an damaged save game. Load one you saved earlier and try it again.

I hope tipps would be helpful.

Melthorse

Thorm
11-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks Melthorse for your reply.

I completed Pedro's assassination successfully. Left Ciudad de Oro, and received the task to help Vittorio. I came back to Ciudad and the game crashed. I went back and tried entering Ciudad after assassinating Pedro, and the game crashed then as well.

So, it seems to be related to Pedro not being alive there any more.

Thorm
02-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Seems my problem with the crashing in Ciudad has disappeared when I started a new game. Must have been something wonky with the previous game I guess.