PDA

View Full Version : Hornet's Nest

cronustr
05-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi there,

I couldn't pass the last level of Stalingrad air battle. The one that you try to prevent the air corridor by shooting cargo airplanes.

While continuing the mission after shooting down the groups one by one, message suddenly appears on the screen says the mission failure.

Please help, I'm sick of playing the same mission again and again.

bobbysocks
05-06-2010, 08:10 PM
hello cronustr,
many have had problems with that. do a search and you will find several threads with a ton of info on this and other missions that snagged people.

Amy'sKeeper
05-06-2010, 08:28 PM
I can't figure out why so many people find this mission hard. I'm not ragging on anyone but it was the first mission I did on realistic. It's by far the easiest mission for me that involves other planes.
Go toward the yellow dot, as soon as you have it targeted tell your wing men to attack. Go to the next group, do the same thing until you get the next objective. Fly there at WEP(don't bother with the ground units or the enemy planes) bomb 3-5 yellow ground units and the mission is over...
I just played this mission again to make sure I wasn't missing something and I'm not. Do I have the wrong mission?

kozzm0
05-15-2010, 02:39 AM
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=8736&page=22

Sorry about the tiny subtitles. I'd make a better video - as soon as I get a Hauppauge HD-PVR which, until Sony gives back OtherOS, may be never

Feel free to rip the video and watch it at full framerate if necessary.

Here are some tactical tips:

) use sim mode. Objectives are less unfair.

) maintain your speed and altitude. It's easier to spot the transports against the snow than the sky.

) attack from above or the side. When on the way to intercept, tell your wingmen to form up; tell them to attack only after you start attacking, then they'll attack from the side or above too, and they won't fall behind.

) you may be able to attack from the 6 without getting killed, but it is still a huge waste of time, and may get your wingmen killed too. You need them.

) If you kill just one plane out of each group, your wingmen are likely to finish off the rest of them quickly.

) once the next mission objective starts, German fighters will appear out of nowhere and tear your plane to shreds no matter what you do. So set up a couple extra attempts.

Flying Fortress
06-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I am new to this game and to any other video game for that matter. I learned how to complete a lot of missions, but got stung by Hornet's Nest more times than I want to remember. Sometimes I shot down 20 planes, 25 planes, and even 30 planes. I all but concluded the mission just wasn't capable of being completed.

I just now completed the mission! For whatever it's worth, here's what happened.

I remembered I could be a "flight leader" and direct other fighters. It took awhile for me to be effective doing this.

But time and time again, I noticed early on (I think the second stream of cargo planes) that one cargo plane managed to evade me and my wingmen. I kept seeing this yellow triangle on my radar. I told my wingmen to attack all current targets (End, Page Down) and went after the evader. It took a little while to catch up with him. I shot him down, then returned to the main fray. Wonder of wonders, the mission was successful, 35 planes were shot down, and I could progress on to Sicily.

I hope you can find a way to complete this mission. So far, the Campaigns are really a lot of fun.

bobbysocks
06-06-2010, 11:30 PM
welcome flying fortress. you will be find players here from the extremely experienced to the greenest novices ( like myself ) here. online play can be intimidating but it is a lot of fun. are you on Xbox or PS3?

Flying Fortress
06-07-2010, 03:27 PM
I really am a newbie. I don't have either product. I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick and an Nvidia graphics card--I don't know which one.

SEE
06-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Hornets Nest I hadn't a problem with but I cannot complete Free Hunt in the Single missions (the only mission tbc in SIM). I have tried and tried and just as I get to the ninth Dornier and about to pull the trigger......time up! ......aaargh...I gave up!