PDA

View Full Version : Which platform for best MP - SP?

SEE
05-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Just a few of us SIM players on Xbox on a regular basis and wondered how the other platforms are doing in terms of MP community and for SP enjoyment.

The choices are 1l-1946 or WOP on a PC or get a cheap used 40Gb PS3. Either way I have to spend but don't mind if its worth it.

IF anyone can comment on the merits or negatives of the above from experience then let me know. I read that PC WOP and PS3 owners are having problems finding regular games (simulator) which begs the question is IL 1946 still the best option for MP and SP when things are quiet on Xbox? How many have the PC sims and which one do they recommend for MP. I woulldn't mind an occaisional game on PS3 and get to meet some of the PS3 regulars on this forum but if the PS3 community has also dwindled then not a lot of point. I will stay with the Xbox because of the friends I have made but it would be nice to try another platform occaisionally. But which do I get...?

bobbysocks
05-03-2010, 04:12 PM
i am interested to know as well. from what i read the "better games" will only be PC based because of processer speed and graphics. i would like to get WoP. Rise of Flight, and Storm of War ( whenever they finally release it )...but would have to buy or build a pc. but if the communities arent there to MP...might just have to figure a plan B.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
05-03-2010, 11:49 PM
PS3 sim is all but dead.

BRIGGBOY
05-03-2010, 11:59 PM
PS3 sim is all but dead.

not true

Robotic Pope
05-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Just a few of us SIM players on Xbox on a regular basis and wondered how the other platforms are doing in terms of MP community and for SP enjoyment.

The choices are 1l-1946 or WOP on a PC or get a cheap used 40Gb PS3. Either way I have to spend but don't mind if its worth it.

IF anyone can comment on the merits or negatives of the above from experience then let me know. I read that PC WOP and PS3 owners are having problems finding regular games (simulator) which begs the question is IL 1946 still the best option for MP and SP when things are quiet on Xbox? How many have the PC sims and which one do they recommend for MP. I woulldn't mind an occaisional game on PS3 and get to meet some of the PS3 regulars on this forum but if the PS3 community has also dwindled then not a lot of point. I will stay with the Xbox because of the friends I have made but it would be nice to try another platform occaisionally. But which do I get...?

Angelo, the PS3 certainly isnt worth getting if, like you, all you really want to do is fly planes. The online for Il2 on ps3 is no more populated than what we get on the xbox right now and both will only lessen over this year. Il-2 1946 is what you want for online battles and huge scale of options. Just compare the PC IL2 forum to this one, as I write this there are over 20 people viewing there and only 2 here!
Even after Storm of war comes out I expect 1946 to still live on a good few more years to come. Really I wouldn't bother with WoP though, its really just the same game as we play on xbox, just very polished.

Spln_Sir
05-04-2010, 03:07 AM
The quantity is a little low but the quality of pilots and friends is top notch.

dkwookie
05-04-2010, 08:37 AM
The quantity is a little low but the quality of pilots and friends is top notch.

Dead right there spin. I would rather play IL2 with a handfull of the regulars than waste my time being sniped ad infinitum in any of those first person shooters by the hoards of players they attract.

I have ps3 and pc versions. I did have 360 version but my son broke the disk. Pc version looks very nice and is handy to have on laptop for some portable action but ps3 version is the best for me. Always a match to join if you don't mind switching modes at will. I will play arcade or realistic and there is usually a match open in one of those. I don't see as many sim matches open but they are there nonetheless.

Shadowcorp
05-04-2010, 09:16 AM
when it comes to playing flight games in general you are best of getting a PC, not an xbox or a ps3.
Like the ps3 it's free to play online on a pc, it can be more expensive to set up a gaming pc than a xbox or ps3 but in the long run you will get your moneys worth and have a larger community certianly for games like il2 1946 and wings of prey.
I play a ps3 copy online and enjoy it, there are many people that play sim, there are many people who play realistic (including people who have the bandwidth to host a full 16 player game without lag) and there are even more who play arcade. With the addition of the console patch on ps3, it makes the ps3 a better buy than the xbox version but nothing compared to the full detail offered by the pc

dkwookie
05-04-2010, 09:38 AM
when it comes to playing flight games in general you are best of getting a PC, not an xbox or a ps3.
Like the ps3 it's free to play online on a pc, it can be more expensive to set up a gaming pc than a xbox or ps3 but in the long run you will get your moneys worth and have a larger community certianly for games like il2 1946 and wings of prey.
I play a ps3 copy online and enjoy it, there are many people that play sim, there are many people who play realistic (including people who have the bandwidth to host a full 16 player game without lag) and there are even more who play arcade. With the addition of the console patch on ps3, it makes the ps3 a better buy than the xbox version but nothing compared to the full detail offered by the pc

Another thing to bear in mind is PC games are cheaper than console games. Steam do regular deals and it's great to get a cheap game piped from steam without having to go into town to gamestation or game. Over the weekend I bought Dirt, Dirt 2 and GTA 1-4 from steam for total £18.

SEE
05-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm only interested in FlightSims and will have look at the FlightSim Forums. If I go the PC route then I might as well a get a spec that can cope with the next generation of FlightSim releases as well as IL 1946 but in the meantime if a cheap PS3 happens to fall into my lap I will get one anyway just to try BOP with the Patch and use that when I'm away each week. Have to agree with the comments concerning Quality V Quantity, great set of regulars on Xbox even if we are low in numbers.

draux
05-06-2010, 01:27 PM
I own both ps3 and xbox version. I prefer the xbox version, because all my friends are on xbl. But I have noticed the ps3's lobby system is less fragmented. On the xbox, there are ranked and unranked matches and that doubles the amount of lobbies for a player to search through. But I dont think there is a big enough difference in the amount of players online to justify switching console platforms.

If i were you and wanted the full blown sim experience, id put together a nice gaming PC and wait for SoW to come out. The game looks stunning so far.

SEE
05-06-2010, 02:30 PM
SOW looks great so currently looking at getting a decent PC but cannot find any pre release info regarding the PC requirements needed, hopefullythey will be the same as for WOP.

draux
05-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Start saving your pennies now and wait to build it until september, because you know anything you put togather now will out of date come October.

Damn moore's law.