PDA

View Full Version : Completing Stalingrad Campaign

lcastell
05-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Greetings All,

I am new to IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey. I am trying to go through the "tutorial" and "campaign" training sections. I have hit a road block in the "Stalingrad" campaign and would appreciate some advice. I do the recon on the airfields in the intitial steps and then move on to the task of recon and destruction of tanks in the streets of Stalingrad. I bomb and bomb, and clobber them with rockets taking out dozens of targets, but I always run out of time before completing the mission. My questions are the following: Do I have to take out each and every target/tank in Stalingrad to complete the mission?; Are the tanks on the outskirts of the city in the fields considered "tanks in the streets" to be destroyed or am I wasting time on them? I have tried to get through this step several times and always run out of time. As I said I have destroyed dozens of targets but the mission seems to never end. How many do you have to successfully destroy to complete this. It seems like too many targets to expect one plane to take out. Am I expected to win this entire campaign single-handed :)

Any advice/info on how to complete this section would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

bobbysocks
05-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Hello and welcome Icastell, you will find out you arent the first to get mired down by some of these campaigns. in the dark light orange section under your name at the top is a "search" tab. you will find that extremely useful when you get snagged in this game. there is a lot of good advice. On Stalingrad....do your quick recce of the fields and then when you are called to bomb the trucks in stalingrad...make sure you are bombing the right ones. i spent a lot of time messing around with this one and found out i was hitting the wrong targets. there are tons of "red" ones...but you want the "yellow" ones....when you break towards the city head to the far left and enter the town from the outskirts there. you will see the bunch of blinking yellow markers inviting you to rocket or bomb to your hearts content. once you do that...and are called back to base...hit the deck and jinx your way back because there will be a slew of LW ac zoning in on you. good luck.

scottyvt4
05-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

as above :)

lcastell
05-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Thank you for the information Bobbysocks. I knew there must be something that I was doing wrong. I'm anxious to work my way through so I can get to the Battle of the Bulge. My father who is 85 years old, was an infantryman who lost a leg during the Battle of the Buldge when his unit was surprised by a tank attack as they were trying to dig foxholes in the frozen ground. His mind is still sharp and he remembers a lot about the battle, but as he puts it, "Half the time you didn't know where the hell you were or who was shooting at you". He will be coming to visit me in a couple of months and I can't wait to get his insight/opinion on how this battle is represented in the game. If you're interested I'll share his thoughts with you. It will be an interesting feeling as I try to give air support to his old unit.

Thanks again. :)