PDA

View Full Version : Getting too involve in WW II Games

Luftwaffe_Rommel
04-13-2010, 10:55 PM
I have to admit, I have stick my nose too much in this forum. So as my last act of communication. Thanks to all people who visit this place and Play IL 2 Sturmovic birds of Prey. Its a great game, but do not go beyond the game boundaries like I aparently did. My friend this is Luftwaffe_Rommel saying good bye from this community. I had a great time Thanx for that, but now I will only dedicate to enjoy life. It's a great day to go outside today, and I just realize it right now. Plus I heard in the radio a interesting discussion for an opinion poll. The anouncer was asking how many people play PS3 on regular bases, and if this people could withstand not to play for one whole week. I was surprise at the number of callers who answer, I cannot go without playing for a day or two. That strike me, and I began to question if me playing videogames at this age was more like a hobbi or an addiction. I guess I have to let the games go for now, as I start to recognize sings that it might not be a good hobbi after all due to my playing patters and easily getting mad at someone. I also being to realize that often what I say and write doesn't always come out the way I intended.

In brief; Luftwaffe_Rommel says good bye. Though I will play the already schedule games as planned, you know as a final act between me and my game console. Plus school will end soon and I have to work hard to become a good person in life.

Once again Thank you my friend, I really enjoyed the discussions in this forum. I guess for a hobbi, i will just have to do what i use to do before i bought the game. In case u are wondering, I used to make scale models of airplanes, thanks, and entire airfields out of paper. here is a picture of one French WW I plane and German Fokker Dr I plus an unfinished one. This is how my passion for airplanes, tanks, and battleships develop.

bobbysocks
04-13-2010, 11:01 PM
thats nice work, pal. you ought to try sell a few of those. stick around.

Luftwaffe_Rommel
04-13-2010, 11:06 PM
scale airplanes are hand painted and decorated by me. I tend to have this habbit of donating them to my school. My History teacher who proundly displays them. They are not for sale; after I build them I also have this bad habit of setting them on fire as I reenacht D-Day, Pearl Harbor, and many other WWII battles. If u are also wondering how do i set them on fire, I buy fireworks and custumize them to make them the real deal mini versions of 88 shells that go into my little 88 flak, I also fill the actual fuel tanks of tanks and ships with gasoline and that how i create the mini explosion. Pretty, one day will post a video in you tube, but not right know. If I decide to though, You guys can find it under "A mini war on June 6". also since i like thing in scale to appear as real as possible i also filled the wings, and engine compartments of my nini planes with fireworks powder, they emit smoke then blow up. One almos burned my hand, but not too bad thought. But hey this is crazy Rommel messing up with mini planes and fireworks.

bobbysocks
04-13-2010, 11:15 PM
did the same thing when i was young...re-enact battles. had swarms of HO tanks (churchills, shermans, panthers, etc ) and figures....when i dig through my mothers garden every once in awhile i find the remains of a victim...haha. no seriously. think about turning this into some money. nice to make cash off of something you love doing. i would be interested in buying a couple off of you to make mobile. you up for it? i can send you the paint schemes...email you skins whatever. but do hang around for awhile...

check your PMs

dkwookie
04-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Stay with the forum Rommel, it's good to have these discussions about the war. Sometimes us brits get a bit touchy about it but that's got a lot to do with the current political climate in UK.
I also used to re-enact battles with Airfix model kits as a kid. I used to drive my mum nuts with my Waterloo 1/72 scale setup on the living room floor. I had about a thousand of those soldiers and used to set them up in firing lines which stretched across the whole room. I would love a room now that I could create a full diorama with napoleonic figures.
My ww2 battles were done in the back garden on a smaller scale. Good memories

Gilly
04-14-2010, 10:31 AM
I concurr with the above sentiments and agree you shouldn't leave. I think the issue as I've stated is perhaps a language thing as well as focussing upon specific wartime 'incidents( if that's the right word)' rather than as a general discussion. Putting 'f the subs' is always going to provoke a reaction from us Brits as I'm sure if you'd mentioned other areas you would have created a similar reaction from the Dutch, Russians, Poles or whoever you had mentioned. I believe the word is diplomacy!!
As for the kits I'm stating to relive my childhood through my son. I've just finished a Lancaster to hang up in his bedroom to go with the Spits, hurri's, mossie, 109's, stukas, he111 and 190's. I'm so tempted as I did as when I was younger to take them out the back and 'battle' them although the hours I've spent airbrushing them I'm not sure that it's the best idea!

bobbysocks
04-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Airfix ROCKED!!! those were my absolute favorite models! i had ( and burned ...he says banging his head off of the deck ) every WW2 tank, truck and aircraft, figure. they were small, excellently crafted, and very affordable. I too would love to build scenes... DANG they are still around too!! and the mossie is back in stock!!

http://www.airfix.com/

f1rebrand
04-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Airfix ROCKED!!! those were my absolute favorite models! i had ( and burned ...he says banging his head off of the deck ) every WW2 tank, truck and aircraft, figure. they were small, excellently crafted, and very affordable. I too would love to build scenes... DANG they are still around too!! and the mossie is back in stock!!

Wow the 1:24 scale Mosquito is £130! Looks a beaut though.

bobbysocks
04-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Wow the 1:24 scale Mosquito is £130! Looks a beaut though.

and for a scant 3 more pounds a piece you can get electric motors...

Luftwaffe_Rommel
04-14-2010, 06:05 PM
I did it, I finally finish up the Hangar in one of the pictures avobe. All I have to do is painted, my favorite thing to do. Thanks anyhow for the offers of coming back to this forum and PS3 network but I guess I want to build some planes for a while. My next project is a replica of the Yorktown USA carrier, it will probably take me a year to build it, as I like to make my stuff from scrach. Though I have use some pre-fabricated kits, I like to make my own stuff. Its really easy and fun too, all I do for my models is find a decent diagram in google like this one. http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/images/hurr_3vw.gifThen I make up the measurement as I go, but sometimes prototipes come out disproportionate, Though, that is not a thing to panic cuz i can always use them as destroy planes, thanks or water i was building during the reenactment. Besides that, most of the times I can catch in time if something is going to come off wrong. If u ask me the most dificult thing to do in scale are german armor vehicles like this onehttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418YW503E0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg. One reason is that desings are poor, the designs themselves have too many sharp turns and angles of union, etc. But at the end whenever I'm done and take a look at the final product I feel really proud about myself. As of the thing some of u were saying earlier, that sometimes is hard to simply just set ur work in fire, I can relate to that. That's why whenever i'm working on something, I don't just make one, but rather put up an assembly line and take it one part at a time. But kits are good, my firts one was a Hurricane if i recall correctly. I even install an electric motor in the engine compartment so it will spin just like the real thing, though it couldn't fly at all. Unfortunatelly, Hurricane 1 and ace pilot Jame C. Chase died in an air combat against 6 BF 109s [entirely made out of coca cola cardboard an excellect material if u are looking for armor], though, He died greatfully with honor, He shoot every single planes before he went down, I still have what reamins of him in my room. I will post the pictures later. But everything is not always sad, cuz i can always rebuild the hurricane back in shape with new pieces made out of paper from coca cola boxes. But one thing I can't rebuild is Commander James Chase, He died in the cokpit of the plane as it crashed and burned to the ground. Did I mention I also have an standing army of 59 different German soldiers that range from SS to foot soldiers plus allies soldiers 60 also ranging from different ranks, countries, and weapons. I didn't made them aout of paper, but bought them and paint them so they would reflect their rank and weapons. Though there are a few catches. first they all are not WW II soldiers but Vietnam green and brown soldiers. So as you might have imagine, it took me a while to paint every single boot, weapons, helmet, and stuff to basically resemble WW II gear. But at the end I feel proud about my armies. I will also post some picture later. Untils then carry on.
Luftwaffe_Rommel Bails out!!!

dkwookie
04-14-2010, 06:18 PM

You just cost me £35! I looked on there and Airfix have re-released all those Waterloo figures I had as a nipper. I got the gift set with farm house and loads of troops. All I need now is the space to set it all up!

PantherAttack2
04-14-2010, 07:28 PM
There's nothin' wrong with going back to your roots... :cool:

Man, this thread makes me want to build a model battleship (or blow up one of my existing cruiser model kits!)! ;)

bobbysocks
04-14-2010, 07:33 PM
You just cost me £35! I looked on there and Airfix have re-released all those Waterloo figures I had as a nipper. I got the gift set with farm house and loads of troops. All I need now is the space to set it all up!

You brought up Airfix first!! dang you! lol. i have this bad, bad feeling that i will be having regular shipments from the uk on my doorstep. my wife is going to wig out...haha

dkwookie
04-14-2010, 09:44 PM
You brought up Airfix first!! dang you! lol. i have this bad, bad feeling that i will be having regular shipments from the uk on my doorstep. my wife is going to wig out...haha

Lol I am with you. I used to collect all those little soldiers and see they have re-released most of them. I found this site which has reviews and photos of them all. A real blast from the past. Check out the ww2 ground crew sets. I used to have some painted up planes on a piece of chipboard I had painted as a runway. Really set the whole scene with the ground crew pulling the bomb trolleys over
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.aspx

edit; here's the ground crew I had:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=47

bobbysocks
04-14-2010, 10:53 PM
wookie, you are a bad influence on me. haha. wish my grandson was closer "he" would have a lot of fun with all of these.

McQ59
04-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Yeah wookie... Now you got me going too! (I wonder were all my soldiers went after I dismissed them back in the early 70's... There must have been thousands of them! And my mother hated them!!)

I've just orderd a cpl of airfix-sets. It's like I can smell the glue already...

Gilly
04-15-2010, 10:14 AM
My names Gilly and I'm a member of AA ( Airfix anonymous). I afraid to say my addiction returned following the birth of my son 5 years ago. Since then I dabbled with such things as hornby trainsets, scalextric and possibly the worst class A Lego, but as much as I've managed to at least control these potential addicitions my airfix one has started to seriously effect me. The advent of BoP last year has only gone to compound my addiction as I'm steadily working through reproducing the aircraft in the game. I've thankfully reduced my consumtion to approximately one aircraft every couple of weeks but do think it has the potential if not handled carefully to become much more!!!

dkwookie
04-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah wookie... Now you got me going too! (I wonder were all my soldiers went after I dismissed them back in the early 70's... There must have been thousands of them! And my mother hated them!!)

I've just orderd a cpl of airfix-sets. It's like I can smell the glue already...

I was adicted to collecting those 1/72 scale soldiers as a kid. Napoleonic were my favourites but I used to get everything from Romans up to ww2. Mainly airfix and esci ones. Looking at that plastic soldier sites reviews shows some sets I would have killed for as a kid. Particularly the samurai and mardhi revolt sets. There's one there with general Gordon and troops.
So I am now down about £120 as I found some sets of these and also a huge box set of Romans/Greeks/Persians. My mrs will kill me when they turn up!
I am going to see if I can get my son and neiphep off the xbox to help me paint them

KAV
04-15-2010, 12:22 PM
OOoooooo dudes now you got me going.........
Airfix, glue (o that smell), airguns, pyro , crash , burn scenarios pissed of mums, new models, decals dipped in water to get adhesive. and on and on man that was some time....
Mq do you remember the cartoon series "på vingene" ?

I still got some airfix surivors somewhere, might have to get some pics for the forum..........

McQ59
04-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I was adicted to collecting those 1/72 scale soldiers as a kid. Napoleonic were my favourites but I used to get everything from Romans up to ww2. Mainly airfix and esci ones. Looking at that plastic soldier sites reviews shows some sets I would have killed for as a kid. Particularly the samurai and mardhi revolt sets. There's one there with general Gordon and troops.
So I am now down about £120 as I found some sets of these and also a huge box set of Romans/Greeks/Persians. My mrs will kill me when they turn up!
I am going to see if I can get my son and neiphep off the xbox to help me paint them

I just can't go there again! I used to organise battles all over the floor in my bedroom. Drove my mother completely ballistic in periods. She couldn't possibly see the strategic, and the fine organasation of the epic battles of course. To her it was the complete CHAOS. My god I hated her when I had to fix my room and clean the floor! But then again... Mothers have allways been the perfect show-stoppers. (What is it with women?!)

McQ59
04-15-2010, 12:44 PM
OOoooooo dudes now you got me going.........
Airfix, glue (o that smell), airguns, pyro , crash , burn scenarios pissed of mums, new models, decals dipped in water to get adhesive. and on and on man that was some time....
Mq do you remember the cartoon series "på vingene" ?

I still got some airfix surivors somewhere, might have to get some pics for the forum..........

Sure I remember... For a long time I thougt the title was "PåF ingene" due to the graphics! An that "Sir" was the most common english name... I must have had about a hundred of those small magazines. And just as many of "Commandoes" and whatever the others were called. I wasn't allowed to buy them, so I traded and swopped with all kind of stuff with my friends. I wonder if they are considered antiqs today? They should be...

bobbysocks
04-15-2010, 04:11 PM
My names Gilly and I'm a member of AA ( Airfix anonymous). I afraid to say my addiction returned following the birth of my son 5 years ago. Since then I dabbled with such things as hornby trainsets, scalextric and possibly the worst class A Lego, but as much as I've managed to at least control these potential addicitions my airfix one has started to seriously effect me. The advent of BoP last year has only gone to compound my addiction as I'm steadily working through reproducing the aircraft in the game. I've thankfully reduced my consumtion to approximately one aircraft every couple of weeks but do think it has the potential if not handled carefully to become much more!!!

hmmmm maybe we ought to paint up our planes...take picks and post them here. what do you guys think???

the only remnant i have is a single rubber tank track that i keep in my jewerly box. a precious reminder of a time so long ago...

dkwookie
04-15-2010, 04:47 PM
hmmmm maybe we ought to paint up our planes...take picks and post them here. what do you guys think???

the only remnant i have is a single rubber tank track that i keep in my jewerly box. a precious reminder of a time so long ago...

That's a great idea, even if everyone just does the plane they most frequent it would be cool. I will order myself a Spit mk2 and ground crew and set about creating a diorama.
Gilly are you leaving the I-153 to last? No that's a model I would like to take out back and torch :-)

winny
04-15-2010, 04:59 PM
That's a great idea, even if everyone just does the plane they most frequent it would be cool. I will order myself a Spit mk2 and ground crew and set about creating a diorama.
Gilly are you leaving the I-153 to last? No that's a model I would like to take out back and torch :-)

Damn you all! I'm going to have to go out and buy all my old paints and files and stuff again :)

I've not built a model aircraft for at least 20 years.. Could be messy. Is there going to be a prize for worst effort? I could win that.

dkwookie
04-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Damn you all! I'm going to have to go out and buy all my old paints and files and stuff again :)

I've not built a model aircraft for at least 20 years.. Could be messy. Is there going to be a prize for worst effort? I could win that.

lol me too. Last time I bought an Umbrol paint pot it was something like 30p. I bet they are nearer £2 now.
I used to be quite proud of some of my later painted aircraft but I bet I will be put to shame by some on here. Never the less I have my secret weapon Airfix RAF ground crew to swing it :-)
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=46

Gilly
04-15-2010, 05:33 PM

Well I thought the I-153 was a toy plane!! Was going to build it 1:1 as it'll still be smaller than my Hurri!!!

dkwookie
04-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Well I thought the I-153 was a toy plane!! Was going to build it 1:1 as it'll still be smaller than my Hurri!!!

Whenever I see them buzzing around in the game I half expect to see King Kong on the Empire State building smack one of them

dkwookie
04-15-2010, 06:31 PM
I just can't go there again! I used to organise battles all over the floor in my bedroom. Drove my mother completely ballistic in periods. She couldn't possibly see the strategic, and the fine organasation of the epic battles of course. To her it was the complete CHAOS. My god I hated her when I had to fix my room and clean the floor! But then again... Mothers have allways been the perfect show-stoppers. (What is it with women?!)

Yeah my mum hated it when I set up my battles. My dad loved it though and that wound her up even more. In fact my dad encouraged me, I think he was reliving his youth. After the Airfix he went and bought a ton of Napoleonic solder moulds cheap. He then came home one day with a bag full of lead strips...I did ask where he got it but figured some church roof now had leaks. We melted this down and made a ton of metal figures that I painted up. I think they are still at my mums, will have to dig them out and see.

P-51
04-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Yeah my mum hated it when I set up my battles. My dad loved it though and that wound her up even more. In fact my dad encouraged me, I think he was reliving his youth. After the Airfix he went and bought a ton of Napoleonic solder moulds cheap. He then came home one day with a bag full of lead strips...I did ask where he got it but figured some church roof now had leaks. We melted this down and made a ton of metal figures that I painted up. I think they are still at my mums, will have to dig them out and see.

Have some small tanks made from lead. must find and paint! God this sounds fun lol

bobbysocks
04-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Dang! only 51 they have is 1:24 and 50 pounds. what 1 pound = 2 usd??? so that is $100....plus shipping ($10)...plus paints ($15)...plus roses ($25) plus movie tickets ($15), plus dinner ($50)....gonna be one expensive plane! is doable...lol

i think moms had a hard time with us setting up battles for couple reasons. no matter how well we cleaned up the MIA soldier we left laying around would get sucked up into the vacuum and burn out a belt or make a racket. and then i think they were simply jealous....all they had were tea parties with flopsy the bunny and raggedy ann...how thrilling. lol

wookie if you find those molds...that would be awesome. might have a little sideline biz there in the works. make and paint soldiers...could be a project for your kids.

winny
04-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Dang! only 51 they have is 1:24 and 50 pounds. what 1 pound = 2 usd??? so that is $100....plus shipping ($10)...plus paints ($15)...plus roses ($25) plus movie tickets ($15), plus dinner ($50)....gonna be one expensive plane! is doable...lol

£50 is $77.. I just saved you $33, you can wire it me :)

BRIGGBOY
04-16-2010, 05:23 PM
I never got into aifix kits as a kid but since playing this game i am going to treat myself to an electric R/C Parkzone spitfire mkii from www.squadronleader.co.uk and protect the skies around my house

dkwookie
04-16-2010, 06:33 PM
All the rc spits are out of stock...thank god. I could feel my debit card coming out of my wallet

BRIGGBOY
04-16-2010, 07:56 PM
yeah i know and i have contacted them and they say that they will have more in about a months time but if they arent the i think i will get a mustang as they look darn sexy