PDA

View Full Version : Counter to Ranged Units

rollems
04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
i have trouble getting no loss. against ranged units specially if they have 2/3 high initiative/speed Tanks supported by 3 ranged units. say 2 stack of reds or ogre, with 1 shaman , 2 catapult. catapult first throw is fire. and shaman is dancing axe.
or another setup. where ranged units are canooner or alchamesit.
so what u suggest. ( my army is green/black Dragons , trolls , archs , inquisitor , paladin , knights) i usually attack with greens/blacks on ranged ones. but they sneak out throwing fire/poison on my human units. forcing me to dispel instead stone skin/bless etc.

Counters to:
* Alchemist
* Evil beholder
* Canoner
* catapult
* shaman

against archers i happily cast oil mist, and reduce their stack with arch and inquis. my humans have moral 2.

Metathron
04-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Cast Target on a strong unit like the trolls or cyclops

+ Archmage's shield on targeted unit

(+ stone skin if you're a mage with higher magic)

= recipe for success against archers :)

Perhaps the best thing about target is that it forces all those pesky ranged units to use their (often puny) normal attack and forego their special attacks, which are often the most damaging.

Against shaman & alchemists I recommend magic shackles, though leadership plays a role here.

Zechnophobe
04-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Pretty much got it right there. Note that if you fly up into the face of an alchemist or shaman, and are targeted, they will have to use their basic attack against you. Target does NOT allow them to use magic axes, or fire bombs.

Combine with a turn 2 time back for maximum potency.

rollems
04-06-2010, 06:46 PM
:( now my problem is i dont have target and timeback. :(((((((

MaroonMaurader
04-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Target is a very common spell; you might want to check and make sure you haven't missed it somewhere already. If you really don't have Target, and you're going for no-loss you might want to consider going with just one stack (which effectively puts target on that stack).

I notice you have a fairly high-level army. If you leave the inquisitors behind, then you can use Fear to render Catapults totally ineffective. If you only go in with the black/green dragons and trolls, then Fear will deal with any unit below level 5. It won't deal with all three stacks, but you can neutralize at least one that way right at the start (two if you're a mage), and the rest shortly thereafter.

rollems
04-06-2010, 08:54 PM
thanks Maroon for tips,
well i guess for target i did get it very early game and dropped it. this is my first game you see. noob moves :( .
anyways time for fear. :D. though i am paladin character so only 1 spell :(.

ckdamascus
04-07-2010, 05:29 PM
thanks Maroon for tips,
well i guess for target i did get it very early game and dropped it. this is my first game you see. noob moves :( .
anyways time for fear. :D. though i am paladin character so only 1 spell :(.

There is no reason to ever drop a spell / scroll unless you are doing a speed run. Sell it at any castle (open spell book in a full castle where there is a garrison) and it will stay there in case you change your mind.

I wish the game made this option more obvious.

TemjinGold
04-08-2010, 02:11 AM
OP: No-loss is as hard to achieve as your squishiest guy. Sometimes less is more.

BB Shockwave
04-15-2010, 02:51 PM
There is one problem with target -you have to be 2 hexes away from archers for them to actually be under the effect of the spell, if I get the description right. With slow units like the troll or cyclops that's not possible unless you use teleport.

Zechnophobe
04-15-2010, 04:46 PM
There is one problem with target -you have to be 2 hexes away from archers for them to actually be under the effect of the spell, if I get the description right. With slow units like the troll or cyclops that's not possible unless you use teleport.

You have the description wrong then. They will shoot at the targeted unit if they can. If they are in melee range with another of your units, and therefore cannot use their ranged attack they will not be affected however.

BB Shockwave
06-15-2010, 10:08 AM
OK, thanks. I guess my confusion is because I played with the unpatched game, there were some errors with that spell (at least for me, it often didn't work).