PDA

View Full Version : Archers and Elves and Damage

bmcelvan
03-30-2010, 02:25 PM
2 quick questions: I like playing with Archers.

Is it better for archers, elves and hunters (or whatever they are called in this version) to have the +100% attack (telescopic sight) or the set of the virgin +7 attack, +7 defense and +3 morale of all humans and elves. How much does morale play in the outcome of damage?...since you can't have both, (would need 3 artifact spots and the most you can have with any combination as a paladin is 2)

Also, when looking at the arbator, it says +1 morale of elves and +20% damage to archers, does this mean when attacking archers you get +20% damage, or does this mean all archers deal +20% more damage...does anyone know?

Lastly, is there an error in the Archmages staff description, and all the downgrades? It says +20% Lightning Damage (including Archmages)...does this only apply to archmages using this weapon, because I equipped it and the description of damage did not change and the actual damage I did to enemies did not change.

Thanks

Zechnophobe
03-30-2010, 05:21 PM
1) That is way more than 2 questions
2) +100% attack will raise a units Attack value by an amount equal to their BASE attack.
3) Morale gives a bonus to your attack and defense equal to 10% of the base of those stats. So a 20 Attack unit will get +2 attack from a point of Morale.
4) Morale also multiplies your crit chance by 1.2,1.3,1.4 for 1,2,3 morale. That multiplies your CURRENT crit chance after any modifiers such Prayer.

So, the effects of Morale will mainly be to increase your crit chance, since +100% attack is much better than +30% you'd get from 3 morale.

5) Attack stat increases the damage you deal by 50% of your base damage, for each 15 points of attack. (So 3.333% for each point).

So in most cases the +100% attack effect will be better. If you were using skeleton archers and bowmen, however, who have low starting attacks (where +7 is a bigger factor) and high Damage Variance (where crit chance is a bigger factor) than the morale and +7 attack would be better.

The +20% damage to archers means that archers do 20% more damage, not that you inflict more damage ON archers.

Staff of Archmage: For some reason I thought this only effected Lightning spell, but I've honestly never used it, so I can't help you there.

bmcelvan
04-02-2010, 04:29 PM
thank you thank you...excellent answers and yes way more than 2...sorry

BB Shockwave
04-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Staff of Archmage: For some reason I thought this only effected Lightning spell, but I've honestly never used it, so I can't help you there.

You are right, the staff only affects Lightning spell damage. There is another item or medal though that affects shock chance of archmages, though, but I do not remember that... Still, the +5 intellect of the staff makes it very very usefull if you are a mage.

ShuiMienLung
01-20-2011, 07:45 PM
"The +20% damage to archers means that archers do 20% more damage, not that you inflict more damage ON archers."

I've been meaning to ask about +% to damage. Are all pluses dealt with (and rounded) individually, or is there a total step ("this unit gets +X% to damage") and then it multiplies?

Specifically what brought this up: my KBTL game where I kept finding multiples of items, like 2x Sword of the Dragon Slayer and 2x Nephrit Belt. (Both of those say "+50% something", the first "attack" against enemy dragons, and the second "damage" done by my spider-y units.)

So is it done as:
base damage of the unit is 2-3
+50% is 1-1.5
rounded (if rounding happens) to +1 to +2
damage is 3-5
second +50% item is applied, with same rounding
so damage is now 4-7
(Discrete increments, rounding.)

OR with no rounding. In this case it would be:
base 2-3
+50 is 1-1.5 no rounding == 1-1
damage is 3-4
second +50% item is applied, with same rounding
so damage is now 4-5
(Discrete increments, no rounding)

OR is it done as "total of bonus damage (or attack) is +100%"
base 2-3
+100% == 2-3
total damage is now 4-6
(Total increment, rounding not relevant if total is 100%.)

And, obviously, 2-3 damage for the small spiders or skeleton archers is one extreme. Doubling the attack of EGD or red or black dragons on Ultrax leads to quite a bit of damage dished out. :grin:

MaroonMaurader
01-21-2011, 07:04 PM
In general, identical effects are added up before being applied. So if you equip an item giving +50% to all archers, and another giving +25% to all archers, the game just treats that as if you had equipped one item giving +75% to all archers.*

Note that "Attack" isn't the same as damage, by the way. The two are related, but only by a modestly complex equation.

*I know these items don't exist in an un-modded game. But I didn't feel like looking up actual items just for that example.

ShuiMienLung
01-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Right, I was aware that +Atk <> +Dmg... except insofar as +100% Atk, when applied to Dragons (as I was referring to, there at the end) tended to crank any of them up into the low triple digits.
Bone: 43 + 100% == 86
EGD: 43 + 100% == 86
Red: 53 + 100% == 106
Blk: 56 + 100% == 112

86-112 attack of the creature, plus whatever actual Attack the Hero has (like for example a minimum of +10, simply for having both of the Dragon Slayer Swords equipped), and even a mage will be at 100 attack for the least of the dragons in his army.

That is GOING to be "higher Attack value than Defense of the target", leading to +3.33% damage per point. (The highest Defense I've seen on a hero (in KBTL) has been about +25 [on "normal" difficulty], so about 20 points over == +60% damage, roughly.)

I did start to see some of my Necromancers getting into the 120-Attack range, for the very late Tournament battles and some of the Boss battles (like the spider, I think), because he was laying waste to three and four and five unit stacks at a time with his area attack (at +6 Atk from Frenzy, per stack).