PDA

View Full Version : How to do a flip

Crosshair14
03-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi there I've been wondering how to do a flip in realistic and arcade(if you can flip in arcade) Wats the controls to do the flip online. I have a PS3 so PS3 controls. I want to confuse ppl with the maneuver.

winny
03-23-2010, 06:06 PM
what do you mean by a flip?

bobbysocks
03-23-2010, 06:08 PM
are you talking about doing half a snap roll??? or a loop? or half a barrel roll? if its a snap roll i havent been able to get any plane to do it on xbox. i havent gone through all of them and all the setting yet tho...

Crosshair14
03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Im taking about a Flip. You know like a Summersalt.

bobbysocks
03-23-2010, 06:27 PM
a tumble??? nose over tail?? that'll confuse'm alright..haha...they will be confused as to what target to hit next after waxing you. you would be better off kicking it into a spin if you want that kind of maneuver...much more easy to recover. but you are basically dead in the water and easy picking if your aversary has distance on you. a tumble, i dont know if you can get into one...maybe in real or sim... the stuff is fun to mess with in a non combat situation...

but here try this:

The classic Lomcevak is entered from a 45° up line, at cruise speed or below, with full throttle applied. To begin the maneuver, full right rudder is applied and held simultaneously with full left aileron and full down elevator. The response varies considerably from aircraft to aircraft, but the usual result is a graceful end-for-end tumble on all three control axes, finishing with the aircraft in an inverted spin.

http://www.fightercombat.com/the-lomcevak/ <<,video of it

winny
03-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Have you been playing hawx by any chance...?

Crosshair14
03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
No

winny
03-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Just sounded like a hawx-esque move..

Is it the move that bobbysocks suggested? is it a forwards or backwards tumble? Is it even a tumble? I'm just curious now..

Crosshair14
03-23-2010, 07:15 PM
I dont really care bobby didnt suggest it to me. I just is wondering.

bobbysocks
03-23-2010, 07:36 PM
the slickest move i ever saw was when we went to the gathering of mustangs a few years ago and they had an F22 going throuhg its routine. it did a 3/4 tumble....basically did a 180 at a stand still. i couldnt believe my eyes but he did it several times....now this would be a killer move! reverse direction on a dime....but that aint happening with these type of aircraft...

crosshair, i hope you dont think i was making fun of you or trying to put you down. if that is the impression you got i apologize....that was not my intention at all.

Robotic Pope
03-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Does anybody know which button to press to make my Spitfire to go into Assistance off mode? :P

Shadowcorp
03-24-2010, 01:08 AM
you change from arcade to any any other mode........;)

dkwookie
03-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Just be carefull you don't accidently switch the hypocricy on option ;-)

winny
03-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Does anybody know which button to press to make my Spitfire to go into Assistance off mode? :P

It's that switch next to the thrust vectoring control, you know.. just underneath the cloaking device activation knob.. :P

I'm bailing out of this thread.. it's f**ked.

dkwookie
03-24-2010, 08:48 AM
It's that switch next to the thrust vectoring control, you know.. just underneath the cloaking device activation knob.

I'm bailing out of this thread.. it's f**ked.

I am already on the ground wrapping up my chute

winny
03-24-2010, 08:50 AM
I am already on the ground wrapping up my chute

Stick the kettle on.

Shadowcorp
03-24-2010, 08:51 AM
has been stuck since i started smoking. lol

Crosshair14
03-24-2010, 05:36 PM
the slickest move i ever saw was when we went to the gathering of mustangs a few years ago and they had an F22 going throuhg its routine. it did a 3/4 tumble....basically did a 180 at a stand still. i couldnt believe my eyes but he did it several times....now this would be a killer move! reverse direction on a dime....but that aint happening with these type of aircraft...

crosshair, i hope you dont think i was making fun of you or trying to put you down. if that is the impression you got i apologize....that was not my intention at all.

I take no offense to it.

kozzm0
03-25-2010, 04:37 AM

I'm very biased in favor of su-27 series... but the 35 can flat-spin too, and even fly backwards, a little bit, as long it's part of a double backflip.

Maybe that's what crosshair means, a backflip... still no way is a ww2 fighter gonna do that, not under control at least.

crosshair when you've got someone on your 6, the best thing is to either:

1) bravely run away, if you've got the speed or energy advantage
2) make a rolling out-of-plane turn. The bogey will be trying to line your flight path up with their guns plane, so don't fly a straight line across their field of vision. If you roll while turning, they have to aim for a snapshot instead, since you'll pass through their guns plane for only a split second.

One of the classic ways is to yank the stick back, apply a slow roll, and as soon as you evade their snapshot, keep turning (elevator) towards them, rolling to keep them in sight on your near wing or above your canopy. Basically you'll start barrel-rolling around them. If they don't start barrel-rolling back, they'll overshoot. Then it's their turn to bravely run away like Sir Robin.

bobbysocks
03-25-2010, 07:05 AM
oh hell yeah koz.....there is NO way a ww2 aircraft is going to get close to what the stuff now days can do. but, ya know that was a time that will never happen again! jet jocks are how old when they hit the seat?? in ww2....in the UK, US, USSR, and on the "otherside" ....these boys weren't old enough to VOTE or DRINK ( most states) in the US. automobiles had a hard time doing 80 miles per hour ( 140kph...quick calculation per rum induced whatever.. :) ) ....no these KIDS were strapping in the seats of cool as s#!t aircraft that was hitting unheard of speeds of over 450 mph.....going to 30k feet and doing actual dogfighting! no F'n respawn here....dead is dead. limited ammo...limited fuel...do what you go to do to win AND make it back to fight another day! there will never EVER be that opportunity....or God lets hope it never gets to THAT point.... for boys that young to do that. we read reports and view them....yeager, anderson, kit carson, galland, (HUGE apologizes dont know uk or russian aces names)....whatever nationality as MEN. and ya know, they were kids....boys. 18, 19, 20 something doing THAT for their country. and i am not trying to make heros out of winners. there were countless german, italian, japanese boys who strapped in their seats and headed into the skies in hopes of saving their nation and saving the world. my father, told me when i was older....reflecting on his war "victories" .... ya know...they were boys doing and giving everything for their country, patriotic, the same as i was...i got to go home to my mother and father...marry and have children and they didnt. yeah i am freaking ripped (not bad typing or grammer though you have to credit me there) and i will probably read this in the morning maybe be embarrassed .... but we play these games as games. they were based on a real life event that cost every nation heartache and suffering. maybe we ought to take a minute of our precious time and offer up a salute to those courageous boys...those with us...and those who never came home. then lets take to the air and do them proud. i put my axe to the soapbox...torched and solemnly swear i will never post after drinking again.

phlux
03-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Best post evar!!! Well done.

kozzm0
03-26-2010, 12:52 AM
whoa

So your point is ww2 planes and pilots were good, right? No argument here.

Soviet Ace
03-26-2010, 01:16 AM
The only kinda "flip" maneuver I can find on the internet, is of planes rolling over onto their backs and continuing flying straight forward. Besides that, all I can think of are the maneuvers that were given on the first page?

Shadowcorp
03-26-2010, 01:24 AM
travel a aircraft lets say a hurricane quite slow and high
enter 109, 109 hits hurricanes rudder with all three cannon shells
result flip
Sp1n-Sir did it to me earlier it looked like a flip...

bobbysocks
03-26-2010, 06:07 AM
whoa

So your point is ww2 planes and pilots were good, right? No argument here.

that's exactly my point! a lot of planes went from concept to prototype within a scant few months and then into full production not too far from that. think of today and what has to happen for a plane to be "accepted" and "approved" by governments. they are almost obsolete by the end of the process. the boys that flew them didnt have 4 years of college or have a specific level of scholastic education ( yes they did have to master an acceptable level of FLIGHT training/education). i totally understand that aircraft are severely more complicated in this era..... but that doesnt necessarily mean they are better pilots.... in fact a college professor once told me, " the smarter we make machines the stupider become". this may be an overstatement but i do believe there is a hint of truth to it. most fighter aircraft now have 2 people doing what one did before. one flies the plane and the other operates the weapons systems.... that in itself is a commentary. yeah i believe the pilots then were better...and given their age... even more so. and like i said....all nationalities.

bobbysocks
03-26-2010, 06:26 AM
the only "flip" i can think of ( for these aircraft) would to execute half a snap roll. this is other than having one of your wings shot off of course. because of the quickness of the maneuver it would be a challenge. here are a couple videos i found....some are sim...some real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bDGhKZbSEo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu3BfXKstJ4&feature=related <<< best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy0KkqFf_bU&feature=related <<<a yak 52 SR for our russian friends ( KOZZ and Soviet ace)

Gilly
03-26-2010, 10:39 AM
that's exactly my point! a lot of planes went from concept to prototype within a scant few months and then into full production not too far from that. think of today and what has to happen for a plane to be "accepted" and "approved" by governments. they are almost obsolete by the end of the process. the boys that flew them didnt have 4 years of college or have a specific level of scholastic education ( yes they did have to master an acceptable level of FLIGHT training/education). i totally understand that aircraft are severely more complicated in this era..... but that doesnt necessarily mean they are better pilots.... in fact a college professor once told me, " the smarter we make machines the stupider become". this may be an overstatement but i do believe there is a hint of truth to it. most fighter aircraft now have 2 people doing what one did before. one flies the plane and the other operates the weapons systems.... that in itself is a commentary. yeah i believe the pilots then were better...and given their age... even more so. and like i said....all nationalities.

lest we also forget that today's planes also have sophisticated computer systems that aid the pilot in whatever they are doing and wouldn't fly without them. Back in WWII they were literally connected to the control surfaces by physical wires with no back up if they messed up.

Crosshair14
03-26-2010, 04:12 PM
I mean like these vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg1GbJP0Q2k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIi_j-nZVHg&feature=related

bobbysocks
03-26-2010, 04:55 PM
those are more spins than anything. i dont know if you can get the aircraft in the game to copy that....you will have to experiment in sim, real, and arcade. but they told you right there what flight controls to use and how.

Crosshair14
03-26-2010, 05:10 PM
those are more spins than anything. i dont know if you can get the aircraft in the game to copy that....you will have to experiment in sim, real, and arcade. but they told you right there what flight controls to use and how.

I know but He says them so fast that u barely understand the controls.

Soviet Ace
03-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Like Bobby said, those are more spins than flips. I don't know how well you could do it on BoP, as it is kinda limiting to what kinda maneuvers are possible. But in 1946, I'm sure you could get the P-51 to do something like that. On BoP, I'd probably try to do a skid, and point the nose up, and just before stalling out, I'd flick the rudder around to get my guns on the enemy. But I'm not sure how well that'd work doing it in Training or something against AI. You'd have to practice with someone online to do it.

dkwookie
03-26-2010, 06:03 PM
That first one is possible more or less in arcade mode. You need to be going full throttle and guy on your tale doing same. Point nose up then rapidly put right stick at 7 o'clock position. This slams on both rudder and knocks off throttle. If the guy on your tale fails to slow down you can slowly roll the right stick around it's edge counter clockwise. During this motion the guy on your tale should be drawing even with you and passing in front. Now slam throttle on and start shooting. If the guy on your tale is good the first part of this manuver leaves you wide open. Also he may read your move and slow down too. The key is how long you hold stick at 7 o clock before doing your move.
This works other way of course, 4 o'clock and clockwise
hope that helps

bobbysocks
03-26-2010, 06:15 PM
stick at 7 o'clock and 4 o'clock does both ?? what kind of stick are you using and do you have rudder controls on it as well?? my stick is broke at present so i cant try that out. and that first kinda one rotation spin move wasnt unusual for 51 jocks to use.....but each had their own variation.

dkwookie
03-26-2010, 06:39 PM
I am talking here using the ps3 pad with throttle and rudder on the right hand analogue stick. What I meant by 7 and 4 o'clock is that those are your start positions depending if you want to skid right or skid left

Lexandro
03-26-2010, 06:54 PM
I am talking here using the ps3 pad with throttle and rudder on the right hand analogue stick. What I meant by 7 and 4 o'clock is that those are your start positions depending if you want to skid right or skid left

I'll back you up on that one dkwookie, thats pretty much spot on how its done. Although personally I find that its better to get a bit the nose up a bit more and try for more rudder turn so that I get more of a vertical loop in to it. It effectively makes a bow shape in my case. It also helps to go full WEP as soon as the nose gets around.

It can be done in realistic as well but its much much harder to do effectively with a pad. A stick and peddles setup might have the best potential for it in realistic mode but I don't know if you can even get that for PS3. The peddles would allow you to get just the right amount of rudder pressure and stick angle so that you get it right on the stall envelope.

dkwookie
03-27-2010, 12:43 AM
I'll back you up on that one dkwookie, thats pretty much spot on how its done. Although personally I find that its better to get a bit the nose up a bit more and try for more rudder turn so that I get more of a vertical loop in to it. It effectively makes a bow shape in my case. It also helps to go full WEP as soon as the nose gets around.

It can be done in realistic as well but its much much harder to do effectively with a pad. A stick and peddles setup might have the best potential for it in realistic mode but I don't know if you can even get that for PS3. The peddles would allow you to get just the right amount of rudder pressure and stick angle so that you get it right on the stall envelope.

Yeah Lexandro I didn't think to mention that you keep your nose up (and a little roll to keep your horizontal position steady) all the way during the manoeuvre until you have a bead on opponent then you level out.

I was just throwing the plane about in arcade and getting stick positions and its left stick 6.30, right stick 7 o'clock. Start to roll right stick clockwise and flick left stick between 7 and 6.
This basically puts the plane into the horizontal spiral in the first video. In arcade match I was just playing it took 2 spirals to get on tale of a good player. Thats basically two tail led spiral loops. I tried it out in realistic and you can get maybe half a loop to three quarters before stall in the Spitfire mk 9. Perhaps its possible in another plane or if you have more practise in realistic. Doubt its possible in Sim as it really requires visual input of the aircraft.

dkwookie
03-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Forgot to add that this technique works best if you can slow down rapidly from full throttle and keep relativly level until your opponent draws near. This increases effectiveness of your turn and increases chance your oponent will fly into your arc of fire as you complete your spiral. Also reduces chance of a flank burst from him as you enter spin!
It's probably the deadliest manouver in arcade if you can master it