PDA

View Full Version : bf109 and p47 engines very fragile why

haitch40
02-17-2010, 10:55 AM
if they recive minor engine damage it starts too lose power about 1 mph per 5 seconds until you dont have enough pwer to keep the plane in the air. then it dies completely why

stealth finger
02-17-2010, 11:16 AM
bullet through a fuel line or somthing maybe.

haitch40
02-17-2010, 11:18 AM
bullet through a fuel line or somthing maybe.

but it only happens with those 2 planes and it happens every time

stealth finger
02-17-2010, 11:33 AM
maybe to do with the engine design then? I cant say ive noticed. I only just started using the 109 the other day and skip the jug for mp. Is it like the il2's wep overuse where power just drops regardless.

Robotic Pope
02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
I fly the 109F quite regularly and I can't say Ive ever noticed any difference from the other planes. If your engine is damaged and you're still WEPing it of couse it will die quicker. You've got to nurse it if you want it to last as long as posible.

haitch40
02-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I fly the 109F quite regularly and I can't say Ive ever noticed any difference from the other planes. If your engine is damaged and you're still WEPing it of couse it will die quicker. You've got to nurse it if you want it to last as long as posible.

i dont wep very often
but i think it might be later 109s.

Panzergranate
02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Both the DB-605 and the quad bank Wasp radial feature pretty hefty superchargers, compared to other aircraft engines, and so will suffer badly from any damage.

Such large superchargers require a lot of lubrication and minor oil leakage will cause the engine to slowly seize up, with the supercharger losing power the quickest.

Losing the supercharger will cause the engine to drop power rapidly.

I copped a pink engine hit last night, in a sim game, and then was chased by another fighter, a Spitfire IX. To start with my BF-109 G-10 was easily able to make the distance grow between us over the next couple of minutes.

However, I was starting to loose power defore the chase started and it wasn't long before the airspeed dropped below 300 MPH, even with the WEP (MW50 on the G-10 and K-4) on, and the Spitfire started to catch up. A lucky long range cannon shell hit on the right wing made my 109 snap roll into the deck.

Highly stressed engines down take much to upset them, compared to lower performing alternatives.

At 2,800 HP the P-47 has the most powerful engine in the game.

kozzm0
02-19-2010, 11:47 AM
but it only happens with those 2 planes and it happens every time

It happens with every single-engine plane, try it in training. They'll all die eventually. It's just a simple damage model.

what 109 are you talking about, all 109's are not equal. The have some of the best piston engines in the game, especially the K4. I've had a K4 engine significantly damaged and still flown it for another 5 minutes.

p47 can also be a beast to knock down. Maybe you are using WEP after they're damaged or something. They die much quicker that way. Fly at the lowest power possible and you can keep an engine-damaged plane alive for a good 4 or 5 minutes or more. Not that there's any incentive to do that in BOP multiplayer.

haitch40
02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
It happens with every single-engine plane, try it in training. They'll all die eventually. It's just a simple damage model.

what 109 are you talking about, all 109's are not equal. The have some of the best piston engines in the game, especially the K4. I've had a K4 engine significantly damaged and still flown it for another 5 minutes.

p47 can also be a beast to knock down. Maybe you are using WEP after they're damaged or something. They die much quicker that way. Fly at the lowest power possible and you can keep an engine-damaged plane alive for a good 4 or 5 minutes or more. Not that there's any incentive to do that in BOP multiplayer.

no im not using wep but im using 100% throttle
im talking 109g6 to k4 if i get pink engine damage i lose power about 1 mph per 5 secs and eventualy the prop stops and the engine goes black

McQ59
02-19-2010, 12:31 PM
The P-47 Thunderbolts' engine was/is watercooled. A hit by a single bullet (even from a handgun the pilots reported) in a tube or hose (or whatever u call it) did severe damage to the engine.

The rest of the bird could take as much beating as no other plane.

gbtstr
02-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Must be in Sim mode, I'm guessing.

Play Realistic mostly and have never noticed any ill effects on the DB engines in the 109s. I usually run those things around on WEP all day, even when shot up and they keep me in the fight pretty well. P-47 does okay for a while, too. Usually if I get hit bad enough, the engine out is the least of my worries. Otherwise, it can take a beating.

On realistic, in my experience the Spit's have the most fragile engines. A little ping to the front end and you'll be in for a nylon let-down pretty soon.

Soviet Ace
02-22-2010, 03:08 AM
The Yak-9T, seems to have a fragile engine as well. Though I don't fly it as often as the Yak-1B or Yak-1M, when I do, I've realized that.

kozzm0
02-22-2010, 01:33 PM
The Yak-9T, seems to have a fragile engine as well. Though I don't fly it as often as the Yak-1B or Yak-1M, when I do, I've realized that.

Where did you get a yak-1m you lucky dog... I don't see it on the unlock list

haitch40
02-22-2010, 03:07 PM

he might be thinking of wop

Soviet Ace
02-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Oh, it's there if you look carefully, because it's just disguised as a Yak-3. :cool: I figured, that since they didn't bother to get the stick right, and the windscreen correct, it's just the design variant of the Yak-3, before they decided to call it the Yak-3... I kinda got bored trying to imagine that I could see through the cluttered windscreen. :confused:

bobbysocks
02-23-2010, 09:24 PM
P 47 watercooled??

gbtstr
02-23-2010, 10:30 PM
P 47 watercooled??

Negative. The P&W R-2800 Double Wasp was air-cooled - hence the giant cowl flaps, and big open front surface. I believe oil and turbosupercharger were also air-cooled. Historically, lack of dependence on a liquid cooling system is another reason for the ability of the engine to sustain damage and keep going - much like the rest of the P-47.

The DB 601/605, however, was liquid cooled - as was the Merlin. So, damage to the cooling system was just as critical as damage to the engine itself.