PDA

View Full Version : Crown of Blackthorne

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-16-2010, 06:23 PM
It seems a bunch of my posts got vanished somehow. Was gonna follow up to the one asking about if the Crown of Blackthorne works for the Royal Thorns or just the normal one's.

It does work. What got me confused is the crown description reads that it increases the attack by 100%. So I was checking the attack rating. It actually increases the damage done.

Also my tip for using the Crown got vanished, so I'll repost for posterity. I'm rather proud of my discovery. :grin:

The crown can be equipped between battles to make use of the quality of reducing loss of rage. Just take it off right before entering a battle to equip a more preferable head gear for battle. Put it back on again after the battle is over. Just don't forget to take it off before battle.

Used this way I've been able to bring my mana from zero to full while preserving half my rage ready for next battle, but not wasting an equipment slot on the crown (useless for battle with a thornless army). Also good for those rage fills from energy converters and pools of rage before rushing to a hero/boss battle.

Somehow that obvious idea slipped by me for a long while before it dawned on me. Makes the crown a good find especially for a warrior.
Funny idea for an item. Self abuse to gain benefit for a forthcoming battle.

Zechnophobe
02-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Wait.. the crown doubles the DAMAGE thorns do, and not the Attack? That is significantly better, especially for level 1 thorns. Yikes.

loreangelicus
02-16-2010, 09:03 PM
In the original game, KBTL, it actually does double the damage rather than the attack, and the description says double damage as well. Pretty overpowered then.

I believe they planned on nerfing it in KBAP, but only got to change the description. :) Needs further checking though, as it might actually just double the attack, but the corresponding creature stat screen might be bugged.

DGDobrev
02-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Probably another discrepancy - looking at the russian KBAP, the item improves the damage if the thorns by 100% rather than their attack.

loreangelicus
02-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Great, the thorns are still powerful then with the Crown of Blackthorne.... but still not as powerful as the droids and undead. :)

McSwan
02-17-2010, 04:55 AM
yep, crown of blackthorne + scope ( 100% to damage of archers ?)

You could go Royal thorns - thorn hunters - Dryads - thorn warriors/ other archers / denomologist - for some thorny fun.

I'd be more fun if they were resurectable.

travelingoz
02-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Crown of Blackthorn + Demoness Whip + Assasains Dagger will get you some serious damage with thorns!

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-17-2010, 05:17 PM
According to the unit data screen it shows the damage is increasing significantly, not the attack rating. Makes for nice looking numbers on the Royal.

It would be good to know if it actually is increasing the damage and not just making a show of it on the unit data screen as loreangelicus is suggesting.

I wonder how the game code works, if the numbers shown on the unit data screen are the actual numbers the game uses to calculate damage, or if those are just numbers for show that must be accurately corresponded with the game code which is hidden...?

Thanks for the ideas travelingoz & McSwan.

Zechnophobe
02-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Crown of Blackthorn + Demoness Whip + Assasains Dagger will get you some serious damage with thorns!

I wonder what order it applies those buffs in...

Can you get thorns doing like 10 damage each?

travelingoz
02-18-2010, 04:34 AM
Crown doubles basic damage, then the whip adds 1 fire dmg and the dagger 1 poison damage. So yes! 500 thorns will do about 5000 damage on average! Really makes Dryads super over powered!

KongMysen
02-18-2010, 05:10 AM
A little weird caculation from your side Travelingoz.......

Double base damage +1 +1 is either 4-8 for the warriors or 4-6 for the hunters.

Using this setup and you'll be missing out on the extra + 8 - 10 attack for some decent weapons instead og the dagger and the whip
Still, 4-8 on a 8-leadership unit is quite amazing.
I wonder how much damage you'll be able to do vs a low-defence troop with Mark of Blood and Doom on. And a titans sword + flaming eye. I think, I'll test that in my next warrior game...

Zechnophobe
02-18-2010, 06:50 AM
+1 fire damage to a thorn is a massive increase, and takes the place of a ridiculous amount of attack bonus'. If you are going to use level 1 units, whip of fire and poisoned dagger are definitely the way to go.

I think the most ridiculous was my warrior with Astral bow, whip/dagger, and bowmen. 6-8 damage base damage (covering a myriad of damage types). Yowza.

Edit: So let me be more specific on the +1 fire damage. This increases your average damage from 1.5 to 2.5 for thorn hunters. This is a 67% increase in damage. That is about 20 points of attacks worth (From equal attack to defense).

KongMysen
02-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Ah but i agree about the weapon choise.
The +1 dmg are excellent for any lvl 1 troop.

I was just pointing out that 10 dmg on average is nearly impossible, when you've already used 2 weapon slots, and the thorn's basic attack is only 4.

I still remember my whip + dagger sprites in KBTL..
- And that the hardest "boss" was the necromancer (don't remember his name..Karador perhaps?) for his +3dmg skeleton archers and undead spiders, and me having no blind/sheep spell