PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Evil Beholders

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-08-2010, 01:42 AM
Perhaps there is something I don't understand about the hypnotize talent of the Evil Beholders. I've got a stack of 13. The leadership max they can hypnotize is showing 2340. However it won't allow me to hypnotize even 3 Sea Pirates nor 4 Griffins. But I can hypnotize 23 Bears. In another battle it wouldn't allow hypnosis of 200 Peasants. In each case there was an enemy unit within range to attack so that couldn't be the problem. The same thing has happened in other instances during other play through's.

Another problem is the hypnotized unit sometimes won't attack. In one case I hypnotized an archer to strike a unit some distance away. I thought it would fire arrows but it tried to walk up to the target apparently trying to melee attack. It got to it's max action points and ended turn. So I assume the hypnotized units will only attack melee style? In another case the target was within action point range, the hypnotized unit walked right up to the target and ended turn with no attack.

So maybe someone knows something more about how the Evil Beholders Hypnotize talent works?

travelingoz
02-08-2010, 04:37 AM
You can only hypnotize units/stacks that still have action points remaining. If they've had their turn already, you can't hypnotize them.
If you're up against a lot of high init stacks, Battle Cry is a handy spell as your Evil Beholders have a relatively low init.

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Thanks, I figured it would be something logical and relatively obvious like that, but was just slipping past me.

KrazyDocK
02-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Yep, that's why you could only hypnotize those low initiative bears and not the higher initiative units. As for the ranged units, is it possible that you tried to hypnotize a ranged unit that was adjacent to an enemy stack? Because if you did, it would have to use the melee attack, just like your own ranged units can only attack with a melee attack if an enemy is right next to them. That's my hypothesis anyway.

KD

Metathron
02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Yep, that's why you could only hypnotize those low initiative bears and not the higher initiative units. As for the ranged units, is it possible that you tried to hypnotize a ranged unit that was adjacent to an enemy stack? Because if you did, it would have to use the melee attack, just like your own ranged units can only attack with a melee attack if an enemy is right next to them. That's my hypothesis anyway.

KD

And I corroborate it. :) You must indeed be careful that the hypnotized unit has enough movement to melee attack a target.