PDA

View Full Version : Recomend me some new units!

Elias_Maluco
02-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Im playing a Paladin on hard, and I was having a very difficult time after getting the second stone (like many people, I was poor, unable to fight almost anything, etc).

But now the game is getting ridiculous easy. Im level 33, just got another stone (the Love one), Im beating "lethal" enemies with no losses, and I am getting filthy rich (almost 700K now).

The thing is that I got a team that really works togheter:

- green dragons (mana recovery, can push back enemies, does decent damage even against dragons)

- black dragons (immune to everything, strong as walls, can set a lot of people on fire)

- cyclops (hard to kill, decent ranged damage, very good at melee too)

- inquisitors (ressurection, good ranged damage)

- paladins (ressurection, can make my inquisitors play twice, good defense and damage)

That works very well, too well. Im rushing trough "lethal" stacks like they were "weak", and the game is starting to get boring. Also, this is almost the same team I used through most of KB: TL, Armored Princess has so many new units, it feels wrong to be using the same old types again.

And since I got a lot of money now, Im thinking of replacing some of those guys, or even all of then, just to try out some new units.

So, what would you people recommend? I want to try those lizards, they seems awesome, but that will mean giving up the dragons (they dont like each other). Also, maybe some demons and undead. I tried Black Knights, they are great, but I dont have any more avaliable (also, paladins seemed more effective to me).

Please suggest me some awesome troops to replace the ones Im using!

DGDobrev
02-02-2010, 02:48 PM
If you want fun, I suggest this setup:
Paladins
Tree Fairies
Lake Fairies
Dryads
Demonologists
- It has 1 Tank/Support (Paladin), 2 Damage Dealers (Fairies) and 2 meatshield summoners (Dryads and Demonologists)

It will crush pretty much any army, but have 2 good units with fire resistance in reserve to replace the fairies against Dragons.

If you want carnage:
Paladin (Tank/Support)
Lake Fairies
Tree Fairies
Gorguanas
Dryads/Demonologists

Target on turn 1, phanton the gorguanas on turn 2 and slap 2 marks of blood for the fairies to utilize and get some wicked double damage. That hurts... Especially if they happen to crit.

You may opt for the summoner party:
Paladins
Royal Griffins
Demonologists
Dryads
Druids

All except the Paladin summon meatshields, which is like starting the fight with 9 stacks instead of 5, and the Pally can resurrect them all in the end and you can still get a no-loss victory :)

Xargon
02-02-2010, 08:57 PM
First of all, I experienced the same difficulty progression with a mage on hard. It was sometimes challenging in the beginning (I had some minor losses in a few fights, usually against heroes, and was too lazy to optimize them for no losses), but starting with mid-Verona, difficulty dropped rapidly and the battles became a joke (exceptions are bosses and maybe some heroes who cast "dangerous" spells. Crazy miner with mass haste can be annoying, armageddon casters etc).

Anyway, fun armies from my experience:

- A mostly lizardman army can be refreshing to play (if you have access to Reha...). They have various interesting units: Gorguanas, Highterrants (or is it Hayterrants?), Brontors (Charging across the whole battlefield can be really satisfying), Gorguls (Hitting two units is nice, and the extra turn ability can be funny. I had them act four times in a row one time with my warrior. Plus, if you have a lot of them, their stats are very good), and maybe even Tirexes and Choshas, but I never used them much (Gorgul damage outweighed Tirex damage by far with a late game warrior)

- Demons can make a pretty solid army as well that may play rather differently than your current lineup. I used them in KB:TL for the dragon labyrinth (archdemons are a dragon's worst nightmare)

- I could never warm to a dwarven army, but it may nevertheless become powerful if you get the dwarven items - royal hammer, horn of king borg and axe of ice should make for a rather powerful army. But as mentioned before, they always struck me as somewhat boring...

- Single units: Royal snakes are a good choice in most fights, especially if you have a snake ring (which makes them awesome damage dealers... I remember one playthrough of KB:TL where I got two snake rings. Needless to say, the resulting snakes of doom were part of my army most of the game). Archmages, royal griffins and demonologists I find hard to go wrong with either (summoner makes them even better), but all of these units will likely not make your battles much harder ;)

Finally, you could try the Army of Light/Darkness mod if you want new units to toy with, but I find some of them quite unbalanced... (ice nymphs are overpowered, as are magi of the light, just to name two examples)

tetleytea
02-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I would be happy just to find a way to reach that mid-game point where it gets easier. Is there any place guaranteed to have a Colossus?

Zechnophobe
02-03-2010, 07:39 PM
I would be happy just to find a way to reach that mid-game point where it gets easier. Is there any place guaranteed to have a Colossus?

Nope.

Gorguana's + Fairies is a sick good combo by the way. High crit fairies with Gorggy backup is quite possibly the best single stack damage dealing effect there is.

Oh, and I just remembered my favorite unit that I never remember to use: Alchemists. I love dragons because they can hit multiple targets, and do burn damage (percentage damage). Alchemists can hit up to 3 targets per normal attack, have two powerful ranged abilities that do percentage damage, have good health, no retaliation, and a common item (in the gift bag) that reduces their leadership cost. They are pretty hard core awesome.

Elias_Maluco
02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
First of all, I experienced the same difficulty progression with a mage on hard. It was sometimes challenging in the beginning (I had some minor losses in a few fights, usually against heroes, and was too lazy to optimize them for no losses), but starting with mid-Verona, difficulty dropped rapidly and the battles became a joke (exceptions are bosses and maybe some heroes who cast "dangerous" spells. Crazy miner with mass haste can be annoying, armageddon casters etc).

Anyway, fun armies from my experience:

- A mostly lizardman army can be refreshing to play (if you have access to Reha...). They have various interesting units: Gorguanas, Highterrants (or is it Hayterrants?), Brontors (Charging across the whole battlefield can be really satisfying), Gorguls (Hitting two units is nice, and the extra turn ability can be funny. I had them act four times in a row one time with my warrior. Plus, if you have a lot of them, their stats are very good), and maybe even Tirexes and Choshas, but I never used them much (Gorgul damage outweighed Tirex damage by far with a late game warrior)

- Demons can make a pretty solid army as well that may play rather differently than your current lineup. I used them in KB:TL for the dragon labyrinth (archdemons are a dragon's worst nightmare)

- I could never warm to a dwarven army, but it may nevertheless become powerful if you get the dwarven items - royal hammer, horn of king borg and axe of ice should make for a rather powerful army. But as mentioned before, they always struck me as somewhat boring...

- Single units: Royal snakes are a good choice in most fights, especially if you have a snake ring (which makes them awesome damage dealers... I remember one playthrough of KB:TL where I got two snake rings. Needless to say, the resulting snakes of doom were part of my army most of the game). Archmages, royal griffins and demonologists I find hard to go wrong with either (summoner makes them even better), but all of these units will likely not make your battles much harder ;)

Finally, you could try the Army of Light/Darkness mod if you want new units to toy with, but I find some of them quite unbalanced... (ice nymphs are overpowered, as are magi of the light, just to name two examples)

Well, now Im reaching 1 million bucks, I got enough to replace to whole army if I want, with anything I can recruit. I think I try the lizards first, maybe a mix of lizards/demons.

Funny thing is that just that this setup is so ridiculous powerful that I can take any lethals without losses (also, Im level 36 with great stats), but I still cant beat any boss I tried (tried the spider and the driller, so far). Another reason to try something different, I guess.

Elias_Maluco
02-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Nope.

Gorguana's + Fairies is a sick good combo by the way. High crit fairies with Gorggy backup is quite possibly the best single stack damage dealing effect there is.

Oh, and I just remembered my favorite unit that I never remember to use: Alchemists. I love dragons because they can hit multiple targets, and do burn damage (percentage damage). Alchemists can hit up to 3 targets per normal attack, have two powerful ranged abilities that do percentage damage, have good health, no retaliation, and a common item (in the gift bag) that reduces their leadership cost. They are pretty hard core awesome.

My recomendation: forget about quests (specially the main one) for now, focus on getting yellow scrolls (maps). Explore the ilsands, avoiding enemies and grabbing anything you can find (specially gold). Try to get dragon eggs too.

Choose units that take no retaliation, can ressurect or just have a ton of HP Like royal snakes, paladins, inquisitors, and any level 5 you can find, specially dragons and cyclops. Dragons are very powerful, even a few of then, and can take a lot of damage. Game changed for me when i got 3 black ones (from eggs).

Then go around killing what you can kill without (or almost without) losses, to get gold and levels (big stacks of low level units can be easily made harmless with fear, hypnosis, etc. Avoid battles with high level ones for now).

Just keep doing it until you got tons of money and a high level, and things will start getting easier and easier.