PDA

View Full Version : Sacrifice

pavned
01-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Not sure about that, but I think in Legend you could byuild your army with the sacrfice spell. Meaning you cast it on a high health unit and then target a stack of lower health units to make it gow. Can you do still do that in AP?

Is it possible to do that the other way, meaning you can add level 5 units or the number of damage point gain by the spell is not enought o cover the health of a level 5 units?

Asking cause I'd like to add some more Cyclops but can't seem to find more.

ivra
01-29-2010, 08:00 PM
I did use Sacrifice a lot in may last game. It works almost like the one in TL. The difference is that now you can only cast it on your own original stacks. Summoned units cannot be sacrified. Only exception is the bears summoned by Druids (I have not tested this but read it here on the forum). Sacrifice level 1 lets you earn level 1-3 units - any level unit can be sacrified but the target that benefit from it must be level 1-3. Upgrade to Sacrifice level 2 to include level 4 units, and to level 3 to include level 5 units.

Paladins, Inquisitors, Turn Back Time all helps to undo the losses to the sacrificed unit.

DGDobrev
01-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Absolutely. An easy way to rebuild an army is by using a troll and evening and night or in the underground. You can constantly sacrifice him and he will regenerate each turn.

However, it will take an extremely powerful spell to manage to get a lvl 5 unit (lvl 3 sacrifice provides 60% of the sacrificed HP in troops, so you can imagine). For a cyclops, you need to sacrifice quite a bunch of points to get the HP he has.

pavned
01-29-2010, 08:24 PM
So how's it possible to get the necessary damage from the sacrifice to get a level 5 unit? With intellect points? Magic Tree skills?

Or does it work like the ressurect skill of the inquisitor? Meaning you can get an extra level 5 unit but not at full health.

DGDobrev
01-29-2010, 10:33 PM
The problem is, that you do need to get a full HP unit (if the unit has 780 HP, you need to sacrifice for that much), even if the unit in question has sustained some damage. I suppose high int and lvl 3 chaos magic may cut it, but until you get to that point, it will be much easier just to buy that unit :)

GodClone
01-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Use pacify before sacrificing a unit, increases its hitpoints by 50% , and its less to resurect after you dispell it or runs out . Having sacrifice,resurect and pacify at lvl 3 spells helps even more .

KrazyDocK
01-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Sacrifice level 1 lets you earn level 1-3 units - any level unit can be sacrified but the target that benefit from it must be level 1-3. Upgrade to Sacrifice level 2 to include level 4 units, and to level 3 to include level 5 units.

Hm, This has not been the case in my experience. I have used level 1 sacrifice to increase level 4 stacks like archmages, demonologists, and paladins. The only limiting factor was how many hitpoints I could restore by casting the spell. For example, with 20 int, level 1 sacrifice takes 500 hitpoints and restores 40% of that, or 200 hp. Just enough for a paladin. I think I'll need something like 2 more int to be able to restore royal griffins with their 220 hp.

ivra
01-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Hm, This has not been the case in my experience.

I agree. Now that I read about the limit that you must be able to provide enough hit points to create at least one unit, is see that I was wrong. I never managed to use Sacrifice 1 in the beginning of my game on higher units than level 3 and just assumed it was a level limit that was lost in the translation from russian (some of the other spells have incorrect descriptions so I was misled). When I got Sacrifice level 2 I could create all my level 4 units, but not my level 5 units. I could create level 5 units with sacrifice level 3 so my assumption (although wrong) was never contradicted during my game... Thanks for clearing this up :-) I never even tried to use Sacrifice 1 on higher units than level 3 in my game, even when my Int went up...

Xargon
01-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Some remarks about Sacrifice:
Maybe you have already tried using magic shield before sacrificing units - while it does halve the damage received, it also halves the health gained by the target unit, so it is not really useful. However, I recently noticed sacrifice does astral damage, and if you use the gift bag, there are items providing resistance to that kind of damage: the ghost armor (20%) and the chaos crown (a whopping 50%). This resistance lowers only the damage received which makes sacrifice pretty overpowered. You get 30% of the damage and 60% back if you have sacrifice lvl3. In my current mage game (having found both items), I can restock half my army from scratch in a single fight (I haven't lost any units since Verona, but it came in handy nonetheless as there were a meagre 6 demonologists to be found in Teana)...
edit: Of course, it is much more effective to have multiple "sacrificial" units and then resurrect them all at once with paladins than to alternately resurrect two stacks to build them up.

(The chaos crown is awesome anyway... 50% astral resistance is great against armageddon casters, and 50% magic resistance is great against a lot of other casters and some creatures as well... if you use only one black dragon or something similar, the gloves of the destroyer will be more valuable, of course)