PDA

View Full Version : crashing may not be on purpose

condorz38
01-26-2010, 08:43 PM
I never crash on purpose, but I never keep my plane in the air for an opponent to get a kill either. I fight to keep my plane in the air to get another shot at someone. I believe in the warrior ethic, I am going to fight no matter how bad my plane is until someone shoots me down or I uncontrolled crash. If my plane will stay up, I am trying to shoot someone down. If you can kill me fine, but don't expect me to make it easy for you. I fight to the end. This is one reason I dislike limited ammo/fuel. Number one, in 10 or 20 minute matches, no plane should realistically run out of fuel, most were made to fly 90 minutes or more with their fuel load. If you run out of ammo, I face a dilemma; crash or bailout for more ammo (I do not like to do this) fly until shot down (suicide) or fly off the map and wait the match out. I play to fly, so I do not like to sit the match out, so what do I do? The other problem with limited ammo is in CTA. Flight sticks are great, but no brakes, so to slow down, you have to fire your guns to have any chance at capturing the airfield; you are already handicapped with a stick, since if you and another player land, if he plays with the control pad he can use brakes and stop quicker. So you fire your guns and capture the airfield, and now you are out of bullets. Same dilemma, what do you do? So actually, limited fuel and ammo encourages crashing; everyone wants to fly, but you need bullets to have any kind of chance. Limited fuel and ammo should not be use for this reason; even if you shoot very well and sparingly, you run out of ammo and crash to get more. The point I am making is that crashing or bailing out are the same thing, you do it for more ammo. IF a really good pilot kills 7 planes in limited ammo and has a lot of time left in the match, he is going to bail out or crash for more ammo to shoot down more. So limited ammo encourages crashing. With all the complaints about crashing, one would think that anything that helps people crash with a clear conscience would be frowned on at the very least. The only argument I see for limited ammo is that I won't get killed by a lucky shot by someone who keeps shooting. It is hard to tell if someone crashed for ammo, but unlimited ammo means if you purposely crash, it is to deprive someone of a kill. This makes it easier to tell who does it and who to avoid.

lost cause
01-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Agreed. I haven't played in a match with limited fuel/ammo in quite a while, so most people feel the same as you. I don't know what you mean by no brakes with a stick . I use a TM and have no problem landing or stopping. All the way back on the stick is brakes.

Robotic Pope
01-26-2010, 09:17 PM
I never crash on purpose, but I never keep my plane in the air for an opponent to get a kill either. I fight to keep my plane in the air to get another shot at someone. I believe in the warrior ethic, I am going to fight no matter how bad my plane is until someone shoots me down or I uncontrolled crash. If my plane will stay up, I am trying to shoot someone down. If you can kill me fine, but don't expect me to make it easy for you. I fight to the end. This is one reason I dislike limited ammo/fuel. Number one, in 10 or 20 minute matches, no plane should realistically run out of fuel, most were made to fly 90 minutes or more with their fuel load. If you run out of ammo, I face a dilemma; crash or bailout for more ammo (I do not like to do this) fly until shot down (suicide) or fly off the map and wait the match out. I play to fly, so I do not like to sit the match out, so what do I do? The other problem with limited ammo is in CTA. Flight sticks are great, but no brakes, so to slow down, you have to fire your guns to have any chance at capturing the airfield; you are already handicapped with a stick, since if you and another player land, if he plays with the control pad he can use brakes and stop quicker. So you fire your guns and capture the airfield, and now you are out of bullets. Same dilemma, what do you do? So actually, limited fuel and ammo encourages crashing; everyone wants to fly, but you need bullets to have any kind of chance. Limited fuel and ammo should not be use for this reason; even if you shoot very well and sparingly, you run out of ammo and crash to get more.

Sorry, I disagree.

The multiplayer game is broken, which makes it unfair, so if i'm damaged beyond the ability to still fight and get kills, I will ususaly try to make it more fair by making sure the guy that shot me up gets the kill.

Example:
Ive been shot up, Ive got bright red wing and body and cant turn for shit, I will crash if I do anything more than keep the plane level. The guy that did the damage is coming back round for another go at me. At this point I would say "fair enough I give you the kill" and just fly level ,especialy if im flying against good friends. I find many, many other people instead try to force a dying plane into another imposible tight turn to avoid the attacker, which of course makes them crash and denys the guy his kill.

Now, CTA games I think have to be limited ammo and fuel (who runs out of fuel without having massive fusalage damage?).
Yes its very anoying that the brakes don't work for the stick but you do have the option to use the gamepad if you really want to be a lander for your team. Unlimited ammo gives planes waaaay too many bombs and makes larger games of single airfield matches imposible (P-47 with "unlimited" bombs is a CTA game breaker). Yeah some cocks like to kamakazi when they run out of bombs, but even this is better than a P-47 carpet bombing the hell out of everything.

TRC Subaru
01-26-2010, 09:51 PM
So what your saying Pope is that when I come around to “finish you off”, your wingmans waiting, and he saws my wings off with 20mm cannons?...:lol:

Always a pleasure flying with you…(even though you do shoot me down a lot)

STINGERSIX78
01-26-2010, 10:14 PM
i hate limited ammo. it makes absolutely no sense for me to suicide for ammo. if there be runways to reload, i would prefer limited ammo.
i wish for the sequel.

Robotic Pope
01-26-2010, 10:35 PM
i hate limited ammo. it makes absolutely no sense for me to suicide for ammo. if there be runways to reload, i would prefer limited ammo.
i wish for the sequel.

Don't run out of ammo then, simple as that. If you look after your ammo and don't just spay bullets, you can shoot down a good number of planes with one load (as long as the micro lag doesn't hit you). I hardly ever run out of ammo anymore before somebody kills me. Fly with Brickster and you will learn.
You are right though that a land to rearm/fuel option is needed for a sequel.

Oh, and Subaru, I really did feel bad having to use the IL-10 and killing people so newbishly with the rear gun and forward "God Cannons" , in all those games just to unlock all the weapons :( But now i'm through with it you will no doubt enjoy shooting me down every couple of seconds (when im on the oposite side that is lol) as i'm now unlocking the bombs for the Fw190F. Currently on 4/20 wins needed, so Ive got a long way to go with this frankly shockingly bad plane. My plan is to get on Pudgy's team whenever I can and let him do the work for me :P

STINGERSIX78
01-26-2010, 10:50 PM
hey, if u use bnz-tactics, u get 3-0 kills in ca.6 attempts.
it fits perfectly in a 10min, limited ammo game.
but if u playing a 20 min game, u have to cruising around after 10min.
bail out, or leave your comrades alone.
(especially, in our tournament i was cruising around for a good k/d)
booooring
i am really, really, really wish me a field-runway behind the friendly frontline to rearm.
this would be sooo realism and playable.
but in the moment i prefer a unlimited-ammo-game to the option: suicide for ammo.

Robotic Pope
01-27-2010, 12:16 AM
The few times I do run out, I like to try to land and then bail out. Crashes mean nothing anyway in the game anyway. So if I land and bail (step out), I just don't count it as a crash.

STINGERSIX78
01-27-2010, 12:23 AM
jup,
we have to land our bombers in the tournament, to avoid a penalty.
great fun, to land the b17 in the ardennes.

50% successrate. :)

kozzm0
01-27-2010, 06:28 AM
There is one, simple easy way to make sure nobody ever crashes on purpose: -5 points.

-1 point doesn't do a damn thing. It's ok for arcade mode, but for simulation, no way. Crashing your own plane completely negates shooting down an enemy plane. Especially if you're still in your plane, which means your air force lost a valuable pilot.

They could maybe allow bailouts - but only if it means a kill is automatically awarded to anyone who significantly damaged the plane, and if you have to wait 1 full minute to respawn.

I've never yet seen a plane run out of fuel in a 20-minute match. Ammo should be limited too, when possible. Either planes get killed often enough that it makes no difference, or you end up with a few planes that shoot from a mile away. I've disengaged and gotten way ahead of pursuing planes, and had them shoot me down 5 minutes later after firing hundreds of rounds.

The way it works now, if I run out of ammo, I don't generally respawn unless any opponent who was in a position to kill me when I ran out crashes or is killed. Then it's fair, because they respawn with full ammo again. I also will try to run an opponent down and smash into them if they can't kill me. Since it's nearly impossible to do to someone with skill, it seems fair.

This would work for team battle: no respawn until an entire team is killed off; then everyone dead respawns, and it's assumed the victorious team returned to base and reloaded for another sortie, so they're all at full ammo. That would be simulation.