PDA

View Full Version : Behind the curve

ljgrimm
01-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Hi All,

I feel like I am behind the curve in terms of money/troops/items in the game right now. I am a warrior level 12 and have opened up the islands through rusty anchor. I am constantly short on gold and as such have not been able to buy any items. All of the mobs available to fight me are all very strong or greater. I can typically take them down but I spend so many of my troops that I am usually pretty decimated by the end. I have tried all kinds of tricks to get more money to help me out (eg keeping one mob alive at the end and treasure hunting with my dragon) but I am just barely scraping by. I have resisted the urge to die and get the free gold, but I feel like I might have to soon. I feel like I need some lower (or at least even) level mobs to kill to get some coin and items to keep going. I am playing on hard difficulty after beating the original game without too much trouble. Is anyone else experiencing similar frustration or have any tips to share?

Much obliged,
ljgrimm

Zechnophobe
01-24-2010, 10:22 PM
If you peruse the forums, you will find that that part of the game is where most people have the hardest time. Tips are generally to focus on having LESS LOSSES instead of trying to get MORE MONEY. What kind of army are you using? Which unit do you lose the most of?

If you are using, say, a lot of pirate or similar styles of ruffian, then that might be part of the problem.

DGDobrev
01-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Well, the general rule of thumb in the beginning for me is:
More HP = Good unit. Units that can take some beating before dying are much better than the low-HP units and are much more useful. Using them goes a long way towards getting the Grand Strategy medal and its upgrades.

The next thing I'm checking is:
Can they be resurrected and do I have a unit to do so?
In the beginning, units like Inquisitors and Paladins help a lot. When you get the second stone (through the quest in the catacombs of Bolo island), there is almost certain Paladin stack in Debir Magic Tower. If you have those, you may want to concentrate on a high-HP army that the paladin can resurrect and whatever is available - let's say, above 100 Health for a close combatant and above 60 health for ranged. If such units are not available... Well, I usually make due with what's left.
- a good unit that can be added to this pool are the Royal Thorns. They can summon meatshields, which is great in normal battles, but use extreme caution when using them against heroes, as most of them cast Flaming Arrow, and all plants take double damage from it. They also can't be resurrected, so protect them with Magic Shield, if you can.

Then what is left?!
In that case, I'm going for the worst case scenario tactic - Droids, because they are guaranteed on Bolo island. Paladins/Inquisitors, Archmagi, Repair Droids, Guard Droids. I split the repair droid stack in 2 so that they can fix each other (since the repair droids fixing ability is rechargable) and try to use the Guard droids stack as a main tank.

The next thing I'm checking is whether Cycploses are available on Bolo. Although they can't be resurrected, they make good tanks due to their high resistances, lots of HP and decent damage. Even if they are ranged units, you can always get them up close to the opponent. Cyclopses with Stone Skin and Magic Shield are great against melee opponents.

My final scapegoat are the Demonologists and/or Royal Griffins. Both can be available on Rusty, Bolo, and even Scarlet Wind tavern. Both can summon units that act as an additional meat shield and do not count as losses.

ljgrimm
01-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the great advice guys. I have been using mostly stacks of lower level troops, usually bears, pirates, and barbarians. I will give this a shot with the higher hp army.

Elias_Maluco
01-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the great advice guys. I have been using mostly stacks of lower level troops, usually bears, pirates, and barbarians. I will give this a shot with the higher hp army.

Yeah, its exactly like they said: focus on high level, high HP troops, and units that can ressurect. I recommend Cyclops, Paladins, Inquisitors, and any kind of dragon you can get your hand on.

I was stuck just like you (poor and mostly unable to take any enemy without losing more than I could pay to get back), then I started using this exact team: cyclops, paladins, inquisitors, green dragons and black dragons. With this fuckers I can kill lethal enemies without (or amost without) losses, and now Im filthy rich and level 30.

And choose you enemies carefully: favour big stacks of low level troops (that you can fear, hypnotyse). And take maps, than proceed to explore the new regions avoiding fights and grabbing everything you can.

Habadacus
01-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I agree that this part of the game is one of the most difficult. Be glad you're playing the warrior, this effect is way worse for a mage.

I think the starting human troops are always available on the first island, and those make better minions than any of the pirates/barbarians in terms of preventing losses. I always start with the standard Swordsmen, Bowmen, Priests and Inquisitors, who get a morale boost from the banner you start with. The morale boost will increase their defense, which is helpful that early in the game.

Swordsmen have the armor skill, so they make good early game tanks. Bowmen's ice arrow give you a little crowd control, and the fire arrow does good damage, and counts towards alchemy badge. Priests and Inquisitors can heal/resurrect your swordsmen helping you finish the fight with no losses.

Clear out the snake-keeper's hut on Debir and I think you can always hire Royal Snakes there. These make a great, survivable 5th unit, with high initiative, decent speed, and no retaliation attacks. They always poison what they hit, helping you get the alchemy badge. Also keep an eye out for Griffins, they don't die in droves like barbarians, and are fast enough to scoop up treasure chests with impunity. Their ability to split their stack during a fight can come in handy to force ranged troops into melee. You can also try the Royal Thorns that always seem to be for sale in Debir, The thorns they summon make great decoy units to run interference for your troops, and not much can kill them this early in.

Once these troops start being too hard to keep alive, it's time to look for replacements. Always be on the look out for units with good HP, and ideally, good skills. If they are melee, avoid slow units regardless of their HP. At this stage I look for: Beholders, Royal Griffins, Necromancers, Demonolgists, or Archmages. The archmage's magic shield skill is really great for preventing losses, and counts towards your Guardian Angel badge which I like to get as early as possible.

Once you get the map to Verona, your choice of troops, equipment and spells will really open up, and you'll find the game become much less of a struggle.