PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointing leaderboards

STINGERSIX78
01-12-2010, 11:06 AM
anybody know, how does the leaderboard works?
i win strike-games with a positive k/d + a lot of points, but i loose places in the leaderboard.

Spitfire23
01-12-2010, 11:12 AM
I really dont think anyone fully understands how they work.

But if anyone thinks they can explain it, give it a go. I sure would like to know
Then again the leaderboards dont really mean all that much in my opinion

STINGERSIX78
01-12-2010, 11:15 AM
im in the top10, sim/tdm.
but, cmon... 0,30 k/d. ^^
its a shame for me... ^^

Spitfire23
01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
im in the top10, sim/tdm.
but, cmon... 0,30 k/d. ^^
its a shame for me... ^^

Ahhh dont worry about it, ive seen you fly and i can see that your good so thats all you need ;)

Robotic Pope
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Yeah sounds like the leaderboards are just plain broken for PS3. Again its strange how they work ok on 360.

fritzwendel
01-12-2010, 09:18 PM
With so many great examples of stat tracking in other games, it is hard to fathom why a game released in 2009 has the online lobby of a game from 1999.

:(

All I know is, I'm not on it.

lost cause
01-12-2010, 09:55 PM
I was going to ask this question myself. I do know this. The guys in the top 20 are pretty damn good. It seems the more I play, the higher I go, whether I'm any good or not. I am assumimg the guys here with the longest tenure, i.e. the longest playing time, are the leaders.

The more stats one builds up, the longer it takes to effectively change rank. For example, I have shot down 1500 aircraft and been shot down or crashed 1500 times. I'm batting .500. To change that, either kills or deaths must significantly increase compared to the other. That won't happen when a pilot has peaked, when he doesn't get any better. Just like sports. It's easy to go from 130 to 100 in golf, but damn hard to go from 99 to 75! The best pitchers and batters are at the top, as it should be.

So something else must be taken into account to enable us to competively move up. Accuracy, consistancy, number of battles, wins/losses. Things like that. I'm pretty certain the game measures accuracy. In practise, if I shoot down all the targets quickly and with little ammo, I get a perfect rating. If I use a lot of ammo, I get an average rating.

As I just said, though, those guys at the top are pretty damn good. If they stop playing though, they will begin to drop. This tells me kill/death ratio is significant (points at the end of a game, any game), number of battles is significant, accuracy is significant, and number of kills is significant (again points at the end of a game). Taken together to calculate rank.

Capturing airfields and killing ground targets are significant in strike and CAT, again leading to points at the end of the game.

Bottom line: play a lot to stay on top (this is obvious-they want you to play their game!), shoot straight, don't die, and get some kills, lots of kills. It will be tough for new players to reach the top 20 so long as the leaders keep playing. I'm at 33 in dogfight and most certainly am not close to the best. It is interesting to watch and see how high I can go. It is motivating me now as I have already gotten everything else. I'm sure others are too. Hence, we keep playing the game!!!!

STINGERSIX78
01-12-2010, 10:03 PM
u have to take a look at the arcade strike leaderboard ^^
for every win, i loose 10 places...

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
01-12-2010, 10:30 PM
I just think they're broken. The better I play the more my lvl drops.

lost cause
01-12-2010, 10:31 PM
I think there are a helluva lot of arcade players these days. No prob filling a lobby. Sim is picking up real well too. It's astounding how quickly points are accumulated in arcade. The last team dogfight I was in about 4 weeks ago, the score was 150 to 0!! No joke. One match. If players play all the time, and some definately do, they can rack up a massive amount of points in no time. Arcade leaderboard can probably swing wildly in just a few days.

Before I left arcade about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I was like 115 in dogfight (still a long way to go!). I checked it for the hell of it yesterday and I'm not on the board anymore! I looked up to about 500. Players can get good in arcade pretty quickly once they get the hang of it.

Also I think wins are least in rank. Points at the end of the match is what you want. Kill those targets!!! I was in a sim match today right before I left for work that I timed my strike with my 47 on the battleship in Sicily perfectly after a player with an Arado had already done the leg work for me and I walked off with 18 points!!!!!! That was REAL NICE!!!!!

I love those peeling Thunderbolts Sanjuro!!!!!!!!!!

kozzm0
01-13-2010, 06:03 AM
the number under the target isn't kills/deaths ratio, it's your accuracy. Number of rounds fired that hit.

I've heard people say it's mainly based on accuracy, but it can't be. There's people way ahead of me with crap accuracy, and ranked below me with much better accuracy.

What really drives me nuts about the boards is when I decisively defeat someone higher ranked, or get the top score on the winning side in a team match, shooting with precision and wasting no ammo, and then I check the boards to find I dropped a level.

In fact for the past week or so I've been winning most of the time, and not crashing much. So I dropped 7 levels in team deathmatch and 4 in dogfight.

The truth dawned on me a while back, there is actually no formula at all. What really happens is the developers are sitting somewhere in Russia drinking vodka and watching the matches on their server. And if they think your 0-10 loss was great, they increase your level. If they think your 10-0 victory was crap, they drop your level. If they didn't watch your match, nothing happens.

Maybe they are even wagering on the matches, and they set a point spread before every match, and if you fail to beat the spread they reduce your level.

It's the only explanation that makes any sense.

Spitfire23
01-13-2010, 08:52 AM
the number under the target isn't kills/deaths ratio, it's your accuracy. Number of rounds fired that hit.

I've heard people say it's mainly based on accuracy, but it can't be. There's people way ahead of me with crap accuracy, and ranked below me with much better accuracy.

What really drives me nuts about the boards is when I decisively defeat someone higher ranked, or get the top score on the winning side in a team match, shooting with precision and wasting no ammo, and then I check the boards to find I dropped a level.

In fact for the past week or so I've been winning most of the time, and not crashing much. So I dropped 7 levels in team deathmatch and 4 in dogfight.

The truth dawned on me a while back, there is actually no formula at all. What really happens is the developers are sitting somewhere in Russia drinking vodka and watching the matches on their server. And if they think your 0-10 loss was great, they increase your level. If they think your 10-0 victory was crap, they drop your level. If they didn't watch your match, nothing happens.

Maybe they are even wagering on the matches, and they set a point spread before every match, and if you fail to beat the spread they reduce your level.

It's the only explanation that makes any sense.

Haha, oh Kozzm0 you really paint quite the picture dont you ;)

dkwookie
01-13-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't understand how they could get it so wrong. All that was needed was a cumulitive total of your scores in a match to decide leaderboard position.
I have managed to get back up to third in team battle after dropping off the top 12. I have tons more kills than those in top 2 slots so I am mystified by it.

The guy in first place uses rockets in dogfights. Perhaps that says something!

f1rebrand
01-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah I dropped 200 places after beating someone 5-0 in a dogfight without crashing.

I once got up to 60 in Strike without bombing a single target, just shooting down bombers.

winny
01-13-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't understand how they could get it so wrong. All that was needed was a cumulitive total of your scores in a match to decide leaderboard position.
I have managed to get back up to third in team battle after dropping off the top 12. I have tons more kills than those in top 2 slots so I am mystified by it.

The guy in first place uses rockets in dogfights. Perhaps that says something!

I dropped 150+ places on there in 2 games. Both of which I was 2nd top on the winning side of a TB. I now disregard them completley.. well, untill I'm back in the top 20 that is..:rolleyes:

Spitfire23
01-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I dropped 150+ places on there in 2 games. Both of which I was 2nd top on the winning side of a TB. I now disregard them completley.. well, untill I'm back in the top 20 that is..:rolleyes:

150 places in 2 games! wow i really didn't know they were that screwed up

InfiniteStates
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
150 places in 2 games! wow i really didn't know they were that screwed up
LOL wow - I didn't know there were that many people on the leaderboard :P

Spitfire23
01-13-2010, 11:39 AM
LOL wow - I didn't know there were that many people on the leaderboard :P

Haha, A very valid point. Didn't think of that :lol:

dkwookie
01-13-2010, 12:02 PM

It's madness. There are people in the top 30 who have not been on the game for months. I only check leaderboard these days if I am bored waiting for a match to end

olife
01-13-2010, 12:35 PM
u have to take a look at the arcade strike leaderboard ^^
for every win, i loose 10 places...

yes me too!!!!...i don't understand why....

dkwookie
01-13-2010, 01:34 PM
The leaderboard uses an advanced algorithm to calculate your position. It was last used by Enron in their book keeping system. Roughly speaking the calculation is thus:
kills - deaths x N
where N = random number between 1 and 500

Spitfire23
01-13-2010, 01:38 PM
The leaderboard uses an advanced algorithm to calculate your position. It was last used by Enron in their book keeping system. Roughly speaking the calculation is thus:
kills - deaths x N
where N = random number between 1 and 500

That does sound credible, i wouldn't be suprised if it was the case

STINGERSIX78
01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Enron

lol

lost cause
01-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Hahah! Nice thread. The real reason is lost cause is movin up and everybody else better get the hell out the way!!!! Yeah!!!!! Go Cowboys and Lost Cause!!!!!! That's right. Capital letters from now on. As in Sir!

STINGERSIX78
01-25-2010, 02:26 PM
grrrr...

today, i won a lot of sim-matches in all modes.
very good k/d ratio...
and now im completely out of the top 10 everywhere.

http://massless.org/_imgs/2006/this-sucks.jpg

Shadowcorp
01-26-2010, 01:09 PM
wish i understood the leaderboard, might explain how i dropped from lvl 55 in tb to lvl 42 without losing a single match and beating the new no1 (twice) also always ending a match with a k/d of about 4. I've really stopped caring now; my accuracy is the only stat i'm interested in

f1rebrand
01-26-2010, 01:22 PM
wish i understood the leaderboard, might explain how i dropped from lvl 55 in tb to lvl 42 without losing a single match and beating the new no1 (twice) also always ending a match with a k/d of about 4. I've really stopped caring now; my accuracy is the only stat i'm interested in

I see you're 2nd in CTA as well. I went from 9th to 94th. Oh well it's only a game. GRRR.

Gilly
01-26-2010, 02:11 PM
I see you're 2nd in CTA as well. I went from 9th to 94th. Oh well it's only a game. GRRR.

Well I managed to drop from 2nd in strike whilst still winning games with good points scores and not being killed! I've started to look after each game to see if I can work out the formula being applied- nah not a hope! I think the valenzetti equation would be easier to work out! As you say F1rebrand, it's only a game.... Right I'm off to the virtual officers mess for a pink gin... Maybe that'll help to work it out.
I think even Stephen hawkings would struggle to figure them out so I guess we should just laugh at the random stupidity of them.

Robotic Pope
01-26-2010, 07:40 PM

Its the side effect you get from using the DARKSIDE :-P

f1rebrand
01-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Its the side effect you get from using the DARKSIDE :-P

What you mean Arcade?

dkwookie
01-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Well I have totally given up on the leaderboards now. I have dropped off both dogfight and team battle top 12. I have nearly 1800 tb kills and the guy below me in the tb board has 76. Theres a guy in top 12 who last played about 3 weeks ago. So the more you play the worse your rank, unless you use rockets
I think its all calculated by Antons uncle after he finishes his nightly bottle of Smirnoff

Robotic Pope
01-27-2010, 12:12 AM
What you mean Arcade?

:evil: Darkside = PS3. The more powerfull you become in the darkside, the more you go down in the leaderboard

Lightside = 360. The better you fly for the lightside the higher you get in the leaderboards :mrgreen:

STINGERSIX78
01-27-2010, 12:14 AM
red-lightside-of death ?

*duck*
^^

dkwookie
01-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Well a small thermal exhaust port perhaps may help ventilate the 360 a bit better

STINGERSIX78
01-27-2010, 12:19 AM
i think, they got a new falcon(?)-chip. so the problem is fixed.

kozzm0
01-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Well I have totally given up on the leaderboards now. I have dropped off both dogfight and team battle top 12. I have nearly 1800 tb kills and the guy below me in the tb board has 76. Theres a guy in top 12 who last played about 3 weeks ago. So the more you play the worse your rank, unless you use rockets
I think its all calculated by Antons uncle after he finishes his nightly bottle of Smirnoff

It's calculated by who wins the wager

if Anton bets against you and you win, his uncle gets the money and there goes your rank. If he bets his uncle that you'll get slaughtered and you do, you'll be in the top 10.

I finally hit #1 on airfields, the first one I ever led, so next time I made a bunch of captures with no crashes and won, instantly back to #3. Now #5.

The current #1 holders have the right idea: they quit while they were ahead. If they play again, they'll drop rank instantly.

Gilly
01-27-2010, 12:18 PM
:evil: Darkside = PS3. The more powerfull you become in the darkside, the more you go down in the leaderboard

Lightside = 360. The better you fly for the lightside the higher you get in the leaderboards :mrgreen:

Just wait till you get the 'promised' patch, then you'll see randomness explode onto your screens!! Thats when I think they went tits up on the ps3. The ps3 ones are a bit like 'lost' in that you'll never get a straight answer only more random questions to theorise over!! I'm guessing since anton was captured by the enemy we'll never get a straight answer, if only we had the co-ordinates we could mount a rescue mission....

STINGERSIX78
01-27-2010, 01:11 PM
FREE ANTON !!!!

http://www.berro.com/funny_cartoons_hilarious_smart_fun_drawings/joy_in_prison_cell.jpg

Gilly
01-27-2010, 01:58 PM
FREE ANTON !!!!

http://www.berro.com/funny_cartoons_hilarious_smart_fun_drawings/joy_in_prison_cell.jpg

Genius! Lol!

dkwookie
01-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Just wait till you get the 'promised' patch, then you'll see randomness explode onto your screens!! Thats when I think they went tits up on the ps3. The ps3 ones are a bit like 'lost' in that you'll never get a straight answer only more random questions to theorise over!! I'm guessing since anton was captured by the enemy we'll never get a straight answer, if only we had the co-ordinates we could mount a rescue mission....

Some of the server issues at the moment are causing very surreal moments in matches. Last night in a dogfight I saw two fighters flaming wrecks diving then climbing almost perfectly synchronised next to each other. They climbed to about 3000 and disappeared completely.
It's all something for xbox owners to look forward to. My personal favourite is the plane that lands under the runway on capture airfields

f1rebrand
01-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Some of the server issues at the moment are causing very surreal moments in matches. Last night in a dogfight I saw two fighters flaming wrecks diving then climbing almost perfectly synchronised next to each other. They climbed to about 3000 and disappeared completely.
It's all something for xbox owners to look forward to. My personal favourite is the plane that lands under the runway on capture airfields

I noticed the French coastline suspended in mid-air – Like Pandora in Avatar.

STINGERSIX78
01-27-2010, 07:28 PM

foo-fighters !! ^^

dkwookie
01-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Some of the smoke trails the lag leave in the sky pretty cool. Last night I saw a smoke trail of x's. Other night someone left one with some perfect right angles. It looked like a game of snake or, as I mentioned to gilly at the time, a Tron lightcycle trail

Robotic Pope
01-27-2010, 08:10 PM

Nah. The PS3 leaderboards have been borked right from the begining when the game was launched.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=10000

Gilly
01-28-2010, 08:08 AM

Was like that last night on the cta we played. I tried to fly under the coastline and managed about 2 seconds before crashing. There's a similar glitch in the south of sciliy coastline that you can actually fly under and survive!

lost cause
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
I give up trying to figure the leaderboards. After this past week, watching some of the best pilots in this game go from top ten to 38 or up and getting passed up big time by pilots with less than 3 or 4 weeks on sim, I have no faith in them at all. Like other things in our society today, people are getting privlages without earning them. Screw the leaderboards. We know who the best guys are and they get our respect. That's good enough.

Nycro
01-29-2010, 05:59 PM
urgh...i've worked my rear-end off to win 30 strike matches and get that b-17 but it doesn't count every single win i get and now i finally got to 30 wins as the leaderboard says i have recieved nothing. I'm really losing the will to play online now

Robotic Pope
01-29-2010, 07:36 PM
urgh...i've worked my rear-end off to win 30 strike matches and get that b-17 but it doesn't count every single win i get and now i finally got to 30 wins as the leaderboard says i have recieved nothing. I'm really losing the will to play online now

Just because the Leaderboards dont count your wins, doesn't mean your game doesn't count your wins. Keep going and you'll get your B17 :)