PDA

View Full Version : The biggest omission of the game?

Hento
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I think the biggest omission is the lack of mechanical units(there are just 2), types, supportive gear and buffs for them.

Since they are most definitely the best animated units, I really am disappointed by this omission.

Also, the lack of male character to play as, having to play only as a half naked woman is really annoying.

Elwin
01-11-2010, 10:00 PM
legend was male ...

DGDobrev
01-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Actually, I think 2 units is absolutely normal. Making something like a mech dragon would be like delving way too deep into the HOMM realm.

The droids are cool as they are in my opinion :) Although I admit that it would be really nice to have a mech army and a companion that boosts its "morale" (so to speak - let's say improving their efficiency, which should be the same as improving morale).

Hento
01-11-2010, 10:37 PM
I was thinking something like a smaller version of Driller as a lvl5 mechanical unit.
Also there is some unreasonable stuff like telescopic sight not giving boost to Repair Droids.

Actually, there are many instances in the game when you expect some upgraded or different mechanical units, especially that time in Tekron when one dwarf was talking about droids with lasers(Evil Beholder's ray looks excellent).

DGDobrev
01-11-2010, 10:47 PM
I would love to see a decent laser unit :) Still, the mech units are a creation of the dwarves, and they are not a race - maybe this is why they left only a few of those for "flavour".

Hento
01-12-2010, 12:24 AM
I think the contrast between your mech army and fighting other races would just be fantastic.

Metroplex
01-12-2010, 02:08 AM
It would be cool having a units that shoots missiles that explode on contact, dwarven cannoneers don't count!
p.s. So Princess Amelie was half-naked, so what? Those complaining are probably gay.:grin:

Zechnophobe
01-12-2010, 03:12 AM
She's really only super revealing in her Mage outfit. The others are more reasonable. And heck, we all know she doesn't fight out in the field in person, so she needs to inspire the men more than dodge fire arrows.

TemjinGold
01-12-2010, 03:58 AM
It would be cool having a units that shoots missiles that explode on contact, dwarven cannoneers don't count!
p.s. So Princess Amelie was half-naked, so what? Those complaining are probably gay.:grin:

Better her half-naked than Bill Gilbert! :D

Hento
01-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Better her half-naked than Bill Gilbert! :D

Not so sure about that, the 2 male characters in Legend(except mage) were very handsome indeed, the paladin could have been a male model.

Princess just looks like a total slut. It just doesn't feel right playing as a woman when you are male. I don't understand why they did that.

Mandea
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
harsh words. slut? come on, she is very nice. or maybe you've never seen how a slut really looks like :)
maybe you don't like her, that' ok, but....slut???

I can't understand why so many people are so picky about this male/female. it does no difference in gameplay. I couldn't care less. male, female, bi, animal, whatever. the gameplay is what really matters.

now that I think about it, an AVATAR character would have been nice :)

travelingoz
01-12-2010, 02:03 PM
And you can tell by that look in her eyes how much she wants the precious, can't you Hento?:rolleyes:

DGDobrev
01-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Not so sure about that, the 2 male characters in Legend(except mage) were very handsome indeed, the paladin could have been a male model.

Princess just looks like a total slut. It just doesn't feel right playing as a woman when you are male. I don't understand why they did that.

Hmm... I suppose it all depends on the point of view. Some people like to live the story as if they are the main character in it. Others think that a hero is simply an avatar.

I, personally, don't mind the gender of the main char. However, being a man, I would rather look at some fine example of a lady than some buffed up male char and pretend to be him :)

Metroplex
01-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Just because one of her outfits is a little open does not make her a slut.
That kind of reasoning is dangerous, it's the excuse rapist use to excuse themselves when they see a woman wearing next to nothing and think she's fair game to be raped.
That would mean all the women at the beach wearing two-piece swimsuits are 'sluts'.

Mandea
01-12-2010, 07:09 PM
not to mention those wearing....nothing :D

Zechnophobe
01-12-2010, 07:15 PM
I was going to write some stuff, but remembered a woman had already said it better:

Check out a great look at sexiness in games at this site. (http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/213466/bayonetta-empowering-or-exploitative/)

Hento
01-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't actually care about how the woman looks in a game, but if she is in the game as the only playable character/gender.
That is just wrong.

Zhuangzi
01-12-2010, 09:36 PM
The solution to this hangup is as DGD says - you aren't 'being' Amelie, you're just controlling her. I always choose a female in over the shoulder type games - why would you want a big, buff, oily man gyrating on the screen in front of you? :-P

DGDobrev
01-12-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't actually care about how the woman looks in a game, but if she is in the game as the only playable character/gender.
That is just wrong.

The thing in KBAP is that we are supposed to control Amelie, the princess, as she is the daughter of King Mark and she is supposed to show what she's capable of (and what she's made of) to her father - and save the world in the process :) That storyline was started in KBTL, and it simply does not allow for a male char here.

TemjinGold
01-12-2010, 09:58 PM
How come no one complained that KBTL only had male choices?

DGDobrev
01-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Well, I guess that when the game is good, the storyline's good, there is a lot of content and a lot of things to do, nobody's complaining :) Yet still, it's a matter of personal preference :)

Hento
01-13-2010, 07:48 AM
How come no one complained that KBTL only had male choices?

Because, of course, 99% of players are male....

Mandea
01-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't count on that figure if I were you :D (99).

DGDobrev
01-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Because, of course, 99% of players are male....

I fail to see the logic in this. Right, most of the players are male, that is beyond any reasonable doubt. But why should a male player want a male character all the time? So that he can pretend to be that male char? In my opinion, just because the players are male, providing them with something to "appease their eyes" - like a well-drawn and well-textured figure of a lady will make the experience much better. I would like to make it clear that I'm talking about aesthetic beauty - not something perverse.

Maybe it's just me, but looking at a big, muscle man with perfect proportions all the time would make me feel a little strange. Maybe this is why I am considering the game chars simply as an avatar.

TemjinGold
01-13-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm with DGD here. The only game I HAD to play male characters was Fallout 2. I started as a female char and almost threw up when Metzger wanted to sleep with me... :P

jake21
01-13-2010, 03:23 PM
My only real complaint with KB-AP is that I don't much like the maps. I much prefer the more complex maps in KB-TL. The last few island (like nameless) are almost pointless from a map perspective.

I suspect it was easier to make these small maps than the larger maps in KB-TL. Worse I would actually like to see even larger maps than those found in KB-TL.

The other 'complaint' is difficulty. The curve is a bit weird. The game starts off easy enough; then around level 15-25 it becomes very difficult (this is ok) but then around 25-35 it becomes very easy and stays easy until the last fight. Right now my hard mage (level 51) has done the last 3 islands (demon, undead, lizards) without paying much attention but still without any losses in those three areas (only about 50% done with Rhea so maybe there is a hard fight in there somewhere). This is my second play - so not sure how the final fight will pan out this time around.
--
Well those are my comments/critique of the game. Dont' really have too much comments on teh story or quests I paid more attention to them in KB-TL but this time KB-AP they seem a little more contrived and convoluted. I think I like the mechanics a bit better in KB-AP (though mixing/matching some of the features would be nice) and definitely prefer the increase in items for KB-AP but overall i much prefer KB-TL as a more cohesive game.

Hento
01-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Maybe it's just me, but looking at a big, muscle man with perfect proportions all the time would make me feel a little gay.

That's appalling, you should read this article-
http://pc.ign.com/articles/106/1060963p1.html

DGDobrev
01-14-2010, 04:22 PM
A very interesting article. I am uncertain how to take it, though. I simply shared my own opinion (as I am entitled to it). I didn't try to unsult someone, nor I intended my opinion to be a basis for a philosophical and psychological debate.

The author most certainly made some very strong points, but I fail to see how they are applicable in this situation, where no harm, pun, and/or insult was/were intended.

Zechnophobe
01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
He feels a little happy when he plays as big muscly guys. I don't see what the big deal is. Either way, it is an actual application of the word 'gay' to mean 'homosexual' as opposed to using the word in the pejorative. It is like saying that someone is 'pretty gay' when they are acting effeminately and talking with a lisp. It is actually how you would use the word.

DGDobrev
01-14-2010, 04:53 PM
I see. So I have corrected the problem, then. "Bad word" removed.

Hento
01-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I forgot the biggest omission-

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=11377