PDA

View Full Version : Are the pirate units worth using later in the game?

dougrob173
01-02-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm level 25, 10K leadership and my army is 5 Red dragons, 4 black dragons, paladins, inquisitors and cyclops. I still have a lot of artifacts that give bonuses to sea dogs/pirates/mauraders/etc. I'm debating if I should just destroy the artifacts for the crystals or are these units worth using at this point in the game?

DGDobrev
01-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Well, it depends. If you can replenish them quickly and easily, you have completed the 50 no-loss victories, and you are not bent on doing no-loss victories all the time (as pirates and sea dogs tend to die somewhat quickly), you can use them.

Otherwise, they tend to die way too easily. Pirates have only 25 Health and Sea Dogs only 40. On the positive side, the Sea Dogs have 7 initiative, which is great.

Zechnophobe
01-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Nah, not worth it. You'll spend far too much time going back and forth buying more of them. They aren't strictly no retal, they don't have range, and don't resurrect well. You would probably due better with Fairies and dryads than pirates, since they are everything that pirate/robbers aren't.

Oh, and also, there isn't a big badass item (Unless it is in the gift bag) for them. The ring of Arianna is no Anga's Ruby, or that 'always crit' spider item either.

Urbz
01-02-2010, 08:08 PM
True Zech, although there is quite a few pirate buff items around which should stack up nicely. I'm not 100% sure but i dont think there are any new particular pirate items in the gift-bag, after having a glace over the items. ( which are still pretty cool for sure though :) )
I was tempted to give it a whirl too when i had like 4 pirate items but i didnt go for it in the end. Who knows though, maybe there's some pirate-loving people around who would wanna try it though. Yarrr! :grin:

loreangelicus
01-02-2010, 08:11 PM
If you have played the original game KBTL and are basing the performance of sea dogs/pirates/marauders/robbers from KBTL, then you should know that they "fixed" the level 4 and 5 units in KBAP; the high level units in KBAP are now worth their weight in leadership and do a lot more damage and are tougher than an equal amount of leadership level 1-3 unit.

Having said that, the following units that are not in your lineup are IMHO better than sea dogs/pirates/marauders/robbers:

* green dragons
* shamans
* demonologists
* dryads
* royal griffins
* demons
* executioners

The abilities of the first four units alone make them excellent control units, and are priceless even if you don't have any specific item that enhances them.

Urbz
01-02-2010, 08:11 PM
True Zech, although there is quite a few pirate buff items around which should stack up nicely.
I was tempted to give it a whirl too when i had like 4 pirate items but i didnt go for it in the end, but who knows maybe there's some pirate-loving people around who would wanna try it though. Yarrrr!:grin: